Adrian, MISSOURI
Most Recent Adrian Camping Reviews
Basic but good

This was a good overnight stop. It's not the prettiest spot but we got a spot under the trees. Laundry and bathrooms were clean. The road in camp was rough so drive slow. Staff was nice. Bought some good cheese at the camp store.

Spacious spaces

Spent 1 night at Longview Campground as we get used to our new-to-us pop up. We were in spot 43. Electric only 50/30. Our spot had good shade in the afternoon but most did not so check the website’s descriptions. Plenty of room to spread out, fire ring and picnic table. Long walk to the bathroom, even longer walk to the showers. We camp with our dogs and there were plenty of others also. One particularly rude neighbor, let theirs bark all night long.

It’s fine

Decent time. Not as nature-y as I would’ve like, but worth visiting.

Great little family Getaway!

The lake itself is small compared to most Kansas area lakes but sufficient for skiing. The lake offers hiking/biking trails around it, a campground, fishing, a swimming beach with a picnic area and volleyball courts. The lake and surrounding areas are well maintained and clean. The campground offers primitive camp sites and a few electric sites with a picnic table and fire pit. A lower campground offers pull in sites, a bathroom/shower house and a playground. Overall Lake Miola is a great location to getaway and enjoy the outdoors.

Hit or miss

The campsites are located on a sloped layout. Some are at the top of a hill and the others lie around the base of the hill. We’ve camped here twice and if it rains the ones down hill get lots of water flowing to them which is not good for tents. Kids can’t have their own tent because they limit the number of tents and people per site. It is across from the lake but there is no lake view from any campsite.

Quiet, clean campground

Nice camping area. We have stayed at this campground multiple times when visiting the KC area for sporting activities. Showers are clean. Sites are well taken care of. Never had any issues with noise, etc. It is a great spot to set up camp and then take advantage of all that KC has to offer.

Friendly staff

We made a last minute decision and decided to stay somewhere near KC after a long cross country trip. With it being Memorial Day weekend, we new it would be hard to find a place that would allow a same day reservation. Mark and Kyle at Walnut Grove could not have been more friendly and accommodating when we called to try to reserve a spot.

When we arrived, the staff flagged us in and showed us to our site. There was free WiFi, clean restrooms, and a nice little shop. Our site had a 50amp hookup for electric, and water/sewer. There is also a small area for dogs to run around in, while I wouldn’t consider it a true “dog park”, it still was nice to have a designated area to take your dog.

The most negative thing about this place is that the sites are right on top of each other. I would estimate about 6 feet separated our camper from the RV next to us. For the price to stay here, I would have liked a little more room/privacy, and a few more options for things to do within the campground.

If it weren’t for the super cool staff, I’d probably rate this location with fewer stars. It worked great as a short term stay, but in my opinion it’s not a place I’d want to stay for several days/nights.

Nice campground and beach!

We had a very nice time here. Everything was very clean. We camped on top of a hill from the lake in an RV site and with being completely surrounded by neighbors, we had enough space not to feel crowded. You could not easily hear your neighbors conversations. We almost stayed an extra night and had we not booked somewhere else ahead of time we would have! Nice spot.

Nice campground close to home

We were looking for something close to home to try out our new-to-us pop up. We were able to reserve a spot on short notice. Our spot- 24 - was perfect. Nice afternoon shade. Very level. Plenty of room to spread out. Close to bathroom but not too close. Fairly quiet - there was some road noise from overnight work being done but I’m sure this is not typical. We had water & electric hook ups

Great spot for an overnight.

A buddy and I hiked the Prairie Spirit Trail and used Lake Garnett for our overnighter. The area is quiet from road traffic and there were no other campers around us for this night. We stayed at the very north end of the Lake (aptly named North Lake Park). Plenty of trees around for hammock camping as this is what we did that night.

Cabins were great

Our friends stayed in the cabins which are awesome. The RV sites were right on top of each other so would not great. Very little green space but had a lot of amenities and the cleanest bathrooms!

Easy access state park

We camped April 1. They are just now opening bathrooms and showers. Only one currently open. Mostly vacant. Only 3 sites taken. Sites are mostly level, gravel, well spaced.Lots of trees. Nice hiking and biking trails. Lake with summer kayaking. Playground, basketball court. Firepit, table, electric. Water nearby. Nice nature center.

Easy Access to City

This isn't our typical "go to" type campground; we stopped here because we were having some trouble with our truck and needed to have it looked over before heading out further west. The RV park is really close to downtown Independence, Missouri and has everything we needed for the night. It's within walking distance of everything in town, has full hook-ups, wifi, bathrooms, and a laundry facility.

It is what you might expect for an RV park so close to downtown, a little lacking in outdoor aesthetics. But, the bathrooms were clean, the showers very hot, and the laundry room was tidy! Also, the manager was super nice and accommodating.

Independence has some cool stuff to check out and has a very midwestern, small-town feel to it, even though it is basically a suburb of the greater Kansas City area. There is a lot of charm and some interesting architecture in the immediate area. The Truman Library, the Community of Christ Church, the downtown theater and court house are all interesting and worth a look. We had some time to kill and made the rounds to these various places. If the weather would have been warmer, it would have been a very bikeable area, too.

RAIN!!

Hard to give an accurate account for our stay due to it raining basically the entire time. When it wasn’t raining the sites were nice and spacious and relatively level. Made for easy set up and break down. Like the other Jackson county campgrounds the convenience of being close to home was nice and because of the rain made it easy to run and grab a pizza. Will go back!

Not Very Level

One of the 3 Jackson County campgrounds, but the most in level sites in any of the parks. Sits on top a hill, the sites are cut into the hillside so vary from small tent sites, to RV sites. We camped in our 39’ diesel pusher, had to use lots of wood to level everything up, including extending one of our jacks to the maximum and causing it to throw an error message. Sites run from 20/30/50 amp, some with FHU’s. One site has a view of Lake Jacomo and is somewhat level (#31 I think?) and is hard to reserve on short notice. The bathrooms are decent and clean. Fire pits are allowed, but you have to burn the wood they sell, don’t bring in your own.

As with all three parks in the Jackson County district, this one closes October 31 and re-opens in March. Of all three parks: Blue Springs, Longview, and Jacomo, this one is our very least favorite.

Nice and quiet

Lots of sites to choose from overlooking the lake. Lots of secluded sites and hiking trails.

Great State Park

Great weekend getaway spot. Electric only sites.

Ok for a stopover

Stayed one night at the KOA in Oak Grove, just east of Kansas City. The sites were all sunny and since it was 100 degrees, it was hot. But the pool was nice and they had a nice dog park which was ok in the evening after it cooled off. Close to KC so we could drive in for BBQ.

Clean, good shade, lakeview sites

They have electric only sites and primitive.  Shower house is always clean and well maintained.  They recently have replaced all wood picnic tables with aluminum and are working on redoing all the restrooms.   We love camping here.

Close to downtown Merriam and KC

My husbands job took us to Merriam Kansas and we needed a place to stay, we made reservations at Walnut Grove. We were surprised to find it in the middle of a neighborhood. The staff were very nice and helped us into our site. The sites were on gravel and very close to each other. Walnut Grove was both short and long term campers. There were no tent sites. We had full hook-ups, cell service, and free wifi. We had a picnic table and fire ring and could purchase firewood at their store.

During our stay I was awakened to a startling noise and couldn't figure it out until I went outside and saw the walnuts falling onto our camper. By the time we left, everything was covered(stained) tarnish brown. The park is in a walnut grove hence its name. They had a dog run which was not fenced but provided some grass for the pups. They had a laundry mat and clean showers with good water pressure. There also was a strange noise coming from the trees and when I asked the office what it was they thought it was locusts. I knew that was not their noise so I had to find what it was. After searching, I found that it was tree frogs 🐸 and it was their call. So if you are there in September listen and you will hear them, they love the walnut trees.

Great overnight

Easy access to Interstate and pull through sites were long enough for our truck and 32’ trailer without having to unhitch. Stayed just one night as we passed through. Looked like it would be a good place to stay for multiple nights.

Clean campground. Nice grounds. Two good fenced dog parks.

Only negatives were our hookups were literally in the next site next to their table, and their fire ring was very close to our trailer.

Nice large campgrounds

Was perfect, there are several campgrounds to choose from. We picked one that over looked the lake and we could walk to from the campsite. The campground has its own beach and its own boat launch that are only for campground guests. There is also a public beach and boat launch in the park that is separate. We had the whole beach to ourselves for awhile, the most we seen was probably 5 or 6 families at the beach at once.

8/31/18

What a nice getaway. No internet, no cell, no problem. Great beach with a beautiful view.

Nice State Park

This is one of my favorite state parks. Not only is it close to home, it is a very quiet, relaxing campground. There are several hiking trails, a small lake and they even rent kayaks. I have stayed here many times for anywhere from a weekend to a week. The last time I was there i was camping alone and the campground hosts always made sure I was ok. They even let me use one of their water hoses, mine wasn't long enough to reach the spigot, so I wouldn't have to drive out to buy another one. Yes I ran out of water. I guess i washed too many dishes that week! The restrooms and showers are well maintained. There are no full hookups, just electric. I will continue going back.

City camping

Not enough trees. Has a beach nearby.

quiet, walk-ins had no trouble finding site

We stopped late without reserving when our original plan fell through, but found a primitive site just fine. Nature programs were fun and informative, and the campground was relatively quiet.

Nice area to camp and fish

There are limited sites for camping at Hillsdale Lake.  But they are all nice and many offer waterfront access.  Great fishing on Hillsdale and they have a really nice Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, and Recreation operated firearms outdoor range facility too.

Nice & Shady

Nice & Shady State Park; 30 amp only, no water or sewer at sites. Water readily available throughout the park, dump station near exit. Dumpsters are not near the the dump station. Cost: $21/night for electric site. All gravel, except handicapped sites which are nicely paved and level. Very quiet park, hiking & biking available, kayaking at park lake (very mossy), lots and lots of stupid raccoons at night.

Relaxing

We really enjoyed this campground. The staff were very friendly from start to finish. Our site was perfect for our 32 foot travel trailer. Our site was shaded. as were many others on the campground. There are a handful that do not have any shade. Though we did not have one, there are also a few sites with a Lakeview. Nice playground for the kids, and plenty of grass to take the dogs out. Site was large enough for our trailer and two vehicles and still room for fire pit and awning to come out. A little hwy noise, but nowhere near enough to interrupt our trip.

Fun and relaxing

This was our first visit to this campground. the sites were well kept up, with many prime locations near the playground for our kids. Campground staff were beyond friendly and accommodating. Only downside was the lack of big trees for shade through part of the park. Next time I know where to reserve :)