The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Port Royal , KENTUCKY

Camping Kentucky Port Royal Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Port Royal Camping Reviews
Nice and Relaxing

Was nice and relaxing. We will be back for a weekend stay. Reasonable nightly rates.

Small SRA

This is a State Recreational Area in Southern Indiana by Scottsburg. It's small. The smallest reservoir the state manages, but it's a nice place to camp & boat. My husband fishes & he said fishing was fair. He fished from shore. Boats are a big part of this lake. There are 4 boat launches on the lake! Lots of people were water skiing, tubing& playing in the water. There's also a beach, which looked clean. There's minimal Canada Geese on shore.

There's no nature center, but there's a small raptor display. The Raptor Rescue is apparently located nearby.

There's 2 trail areas. Trail 5 goes to the beach. Connected to that, trail 6 makes a .52M loop. Trail 2, 3,& 4 can be done as individual loops or looped together.

The Shale Bluff campground is nice, but there were lots of sites in full sun. Watch the incline of some of the as well. The bathrooms& showers were great! Clean & had been updated in the last 10 years. Electricity at all sites. Water at places throughout the campground.

The best site is site 160 in the primitive campground, Wooster. If you can get by without electricity, it's right on the water. 163 in primitive is also nice.

Shale Bluff Campground has 150 sites with electricity. The best site is 122. Private, shady& you get peeks of the lake between the leaves. Other good sites are 119, 120, 123,& 125. Sites 120& 122 are very nice, but there's 2 trails that take you to the water close to these sites. Other campers use these trails & walk by close, but not actually in your site. If this bothers you, sites 119, 123 & 125 might be better for you. IMO, site 122 was the best! We camped at Hardy Lake State Park in a Travel Trailer.

A nice FOB

I used this location as my FOB for a weekend of hiking in southern Indiana. The campground was nice. Being the first weekend in April, the water wasn’t turned on so there were no modern restrooms/shower houses available. I’d say the camp was 30% capacity over the weekend, relatively quiet in the evenings with light road traffic. The gate staff were exceptional, suggesting a much better sight than I had registered for online.

Nice quiet lake

Nice lake with outboard motors allowed. We enjoyed the water with out listening to the motors. They are not turning on water until April 15. The campground has some nice spots with cabins and areas for people with horses. Not to big but not to small.

Nice campground and state park

One of the cleanest campgrounds we’ve been to. The site are a bit small and some close together but the park offers a lot. Golf, swimming pool, playgrounds, shelters, and a nice lake to fish and kayak on.

Perfect all around!

I’m on a month camping trek. This is the third place I’ve stopped in the past week. Beautiful area, tent camping and pull thru available. Camp hosts were knowledgeable, helpful, and kind. Store had everything I needed.

The place is beautiful with river view and valley overlooking sunsets every night. Options of wooded or open concept sites. Picnic tables and fireplaces were in good shape. Thunderstorms came though the night by noon everything was dry and perfect.

Everyone in the store when I arrived was welcoming. Answered all my questions. The have fishing licenses available, along with hunting.

Be aware it is a Marina, this said if fishings your deal everything your looking for in the store. If you’re used to being spoiled in state park camp stores, they have wood and ice and food and coffee. Don’t bank on them have that last minute toothbrush you forgot.

This being said the shower house was immaculate. Been camping since I was six months old. Don’t remember all the shower houses but I’ve never seen one this clean and well maintained.

For sure will be visiting again!
Great campground for a family

We spent a week here in August of 2020. The kids enjoyed seeing the buffalo and playing at the playground. Very clean park with friendly staff. We had deer come in right next to our tent the first morning.

Kentucky Horse Park Campground, KY

Kentucky Horse Park is a working horse farm and educational center. Unfortunately due to COVID-19 the tours were unavailable when we visited. Regardless, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The sites were spacious and well maintained. They all come with a picnic table, fire pit and full hook-ups. The bathrooms, showers and laundry room were clean and also well maintained. The staff was friendly and accommodating. A great location, especially if planning to visit Lexington during your stay.

breathtaking view

I've grown up with this state park and it seems to get more beautiful throughout the years. The observation tower is my absolute favorite spot in this park. It has a breathtaking view of the Historic Downtown Madison

This was a very nice, clean, family friendly campground!

We loved the campground!  The facilities were very nice and clean.  The park was clean and very spacious.  We had lots of room in our space and we were not on top of our neighbors!!  Our dogs loved the park.  We will be back to stay again.