the dyrt
Chaplin, KENTUCKY
Most Recent Chaplin Camping Reviews
Our favorite local campground

Charlestown State Park is a great, quiet campground for us to get away in our RV. We love that all of the sites are paved and most of the full-hookup sites offer a lot of privacy.

There is always a bathhouse close by and they are usually very clean. Staff is always super nice.

We prefer Charlestown because the hiking trails are wonderful, there’s lots of paved roads for biking, but the lack of a pool means that there tend to be fewer kids and it’s a lot more quiet than some of the neighboring state parks. There is a great boat ramp for the Ohio River so many campers are there to spend time in the river on their boats.

1st time at KOA

Lots of long term campers with stuff outside camper, but great walking and hiking trails, great ck in process, as well as camp store. Very hospitable.

Great camping for all ages

Much like the name says there are horses but this campground is much more than horses. I noticed that whenever I pulled in the campsites are large and spacious. Great for RVs or tent campers alike. I was very excited to stay in this area based on the location it’s self. This location is close to the Bourbon Trail and very close to Lexington it self and all of the activities that await you while there. Their local he is a mail which mills their own flower with a water wheel that still runs from the early 1900s. My site was Both level and grassy it made for a great night and despite the fact that the camp was pretty full it didn’t seem overly crowded.

Seasonal Campground With Great Pricing

Something that sets this place apart from others in the area is long term tent camping!! Yes you read that right, LONG TERM TENT CAMPING! For most of those who travel you know they often offer long term services for those in RVs which provides a discount for staying more than a night or two, but at this campground you as a tent camper can find a location that suits your Kentucky home needs on the road for a day, a week or even a month!

But what does that entail exactly?

This site is really nice, with level sites for RVs or tents, padded grass which is well maintained, nice gravel roads around camp and a river frontage with views which will make you just want to stop and take in the scenery.

When I visited I noticed a lot of people staying here near the weekend were visiting to launch their boats and troll the river fishing for what looked like some pretty large fish. It was pretty cool to see some of the people setting up their campground fish fry, and they were even friendly enough to invite me to join, though I don't eat fish so it didn't really work out that way.

The tent sites were shaded and had several different options, you could choose primitive which is only $17 or for a few dollars more you could have electricity. All sites come with a picnic table and fire ring and a pull in to keep you and your things closely together.

There was a playground and volleyball, but I didn't see anyone using these when I was there. A small camp store has a lot of the essentials in case your forgot something or just needed to pick up a snack. There was also firewood available, a big plus!!

This place is a bit older looking in appearance but it is charming and the owner is very cool. I didn't meet a single person there that wasn't just enjoying life.

TIPS:

• If you are trying to check in the office has kind of strange hours. They are only open until 2 Sunday through Tuesday, not sure why but call in advance if you are running later than this time and want to check in.
  • Check their online event schedule! This campground host tailgating for UK so you can find a good tailgate party if you plan in advance, right at your campground!!
  • This is nearby the Bourbon Trail as well as so many other places where you will find activities. I was here to check out the Castle (I have attached a few photos) Can't miss this stop!!!
Place to stay close to downtown Louisville

If you are looking to be close to downtown Louisville, this is the campground for you. The staff was super nice and the location is very convenient for getting downtown. It's basically just a parking lot. Also, there is a train that runs behind the campground all night long. Keep that in mind if you are a light sleeper! There is a gas station on site which made filling up propane and gas super easy. The laundry was amazing - cheap and 6 washers and dryers. I was able to get completely caught up on laundry! We rode bikes to downtown Louisville from here and had a great afternoon. There are also neat places to go on the Indiana side of the river. All in all, we had a great stay and if we are ever in the Louisville area again we would gladly stay here for the convenience.

Private Campground

Gravel and grass FHU sites mostly level. Great pool and bathhouse with full bath suites in beautiful tile. Very clean.

highly recommended, close to Lexington and the Ark encounter.

State Park Campground

Only water and electric. Dumpstations available. Sites are pave but rarely level front to rear. Next to horse park with many events thru the year. Close to Lexington and the Ark encounter. Lots to do and see.

Beautiful and Fun Campground

Great location with tons of fun stuff to do on site and nearby. Shady and level sites all located near the well maintained bathhouses and other top notch facilities. Highly recommend visiting this campground.

A simple, but extremely friendly park!!!

Most of the sites are gravel, but level site the site that I stayed out had excellent service as far as water, sewer and electric goes. Very clean bath houses. A lake for fishing, or just watching the ducks. And a very large pavilion, For special events and get-togethers. Wonderful, friendly staff, just looking to be of service to you.

Great facilities, friendly staff and close to the Kentucky Horse Park.

It can accommodate all sizes of tv's and also tent campers. All types of hook-ups with well maintained road access.

The office/store is well stocked and the help is friendly. It is not far off of main highways and close to the Kentucky Horse Park.

The marina us very welcoming. The staff are very helpful.

This campground is very clean and the rangers are very effective at keeping the noise down.

Best RV spot in Kentucky

This place is great, Gated,pool, play ground, showers, store, private boat ramp w/ marina. Plenty of pull through spots, large and small back in spots. The owners take great time and care of the place. Pictures will not do it justice.

Very confrontational!

Had reservations for there and the owners were awful. Got our money back and left!

Great time here

This is a peaceful place. Enjoy!

Excellent

This is a great place.

Great for boat fishing but not a campground.

There is no camground.

Wonderful place to camp!

We camped there in July for my son's birthday party. We were near the restroom facilities which were very clean. The camping area was recently mowed. Plenty of parking for guests and tents. We were on the group campsite #7. Playground was close and perfect for everyone to go run and play. Reservations were easy and staff friendly.

Great place, great hikes

My family and I really enjoyed staying here. The campground was a decent size, although we didn't drive around the entire loop. We were lucky enough to get a spot close to the river, so at night we could hear the river rushing next to us. I know some people love this, and some people don't. A few things we really liked about this place:

• Great hikes nearby. We hiked 3 different trails while here. One of the days it was a little rainy, so the trail was muddy but we made it work. Recommend looking up good hikes nearby. I don't remember the names of the hikes we did, but I think one was called "Conner Meadow?"
  • Spacious campsites. The campsites seemed almost "double" in size of other places we have stayed. Each campsite is divided off by trees and shrubs which we liked.
  • Clean. Fire ring and table at each campsite
  • River- Love having access to the river to swim in. There is also a lake nearby that we saw on one of our hikes

What we didn't like was that the bathrooms were a little far from our campsite. We were only able to find 1 bathroom, so not sure if there is another one located within the campground or not.

weekend getaway

Campground is laid in a great way allowing space between guests. when we arrived the grounds crew were cutting the grass and weed eating feet of me while trying to set camp. Yes, I understand it needs to be mowed but I don’t like rocks being shot at me. The bathrooms were cleaned once a day early afternoon. The middle shower in the men’s needs to be fixed, no water pressure. the camper lots are made with fine gravel. could use more shade around the camper sites. All-in-all good campground.

Love this place

My family and I really enjoy coming here in the summer. We bring our RV and stay in one of the RV campsites. You can actually rent and RV there which is something I’ve never heard of. The RVs they have to rent are nice, with a kitchen and can sleep 4 people. I believe it costs $75 to rent this one. They also have a bigger one that sleeps 6 people and that one is $85 a night. I mean if you are going with some couples you could split that and it would be super cheap! You can reserve a spot online. Each site has a fire pit and picnic table. There is also propane filling stations. You can also bring your dogs to this campsite which was great for us because we have 2 dogs. The river is close which is awesome and great for swimming. No life guards on duty. We really enjoyed hiking at a few places nearby. I would recommend on going on a hike! The views are so gorgeous!!

Pleasant Stay

While you may think on the drive from the Interstate that you made the reservations at the wrong place, you will be pleasantly surprised when you get there. Very nice park with nice facilities.

Nice Quiet spot, 10 minutes off interstate.

We pulled in for 1 night in our 40' DP. nice campground, clean, friendly staff and very nice showerhouse with modern colors and tile. on a peaceful river. The pool & mini golf amd games in the large pavillion were extra touches.

Waterfront oasis

This is an extremely beautiful campground. Peaceful to watch the flocks of wild Turkey graze, or watch the deer frolicking by the playground.

You can relax here, because you are home.

Primitive tent camping at My Old Kentucky Home

The primitive tent camping is located in a grove of beautiful, mature trees. Fire rings & picnic tables are dotted throughout the trees. There is a highway right beside the campsite so you will best cars, but it is not a high traffic area.

It's on the river.

people are nice, but lots are too close. Unless they have added tent spaces there really isn't any to brag about.

Unexpected Hidden Gem!

Charlestown State Park is known for its great hiking trails, particularly the Rose Island “trail.” The short, paved Rose Island trail is family friendly as long as you are prepared to take on the steep hill on the way. Once you cross over the beautiful new bridge, you are on your way to a self-guided tour of the ruins of the historical theme park that includes a gravel pathway and river views. I have been on all of the trails and they are all beautiful and great for a day trip.

The campground itself was also very nice. Our group camped in tents but we were outnumbered by camping vehicles. The bathroom facilities were incredibly clean and fairly new. We enjoyed a trailhead on our very own camping spot!

Highly recommend!

Beautiful scenery

Being from Texas, it’s always nice to venture out other places in the state. My extended family lives in Kentucky so we visit them every other year. Most of the time we choose a campsite and have a small family reunion there. We stayed here for one of our get together, and we really enjoyed our stay. The scenery was gorgeous and the outdoor activities were a lot of fun! We enjoyed playing horseshoe in the playground area in the campsite. They also have a basketball court that we played PIG and HORSE on which was really fun. We hiked in the morning which was a lot of fun for the whole family. The campground was clean, and the campsites were pretty big. We brought our RV and there was RV hookups and electrical hookups too. No water hookups. My other family memebers used a tent. The people at the front desk were super nice and helpful and gave us some great hikes nearby.