Advance, INDIANA
Most Recent Advance Camping Reviews
Our go to spot

We come to Sugar Creek because it is close and it is a nice campground. We wish there was a pool, but there is the creek. Most sites a spacious unless you are on the water side. Very tight spots there. Staff is very friendly. Campground is clean.

Secluded

My favorite forest with traditional camping, backwoods camping, and a wonderful secret pioneer cabin for rent. This is the best camping within an hour on Indianapolis and if your looking for free and solitary sites try the backwoods camping area for the low gap trail theres a parking lot there.

Peace and quiet

Very nice campground. Small and well kept. Management seems delightful. Helped friends of mine set up for the very first time. They walk and show you to your site. Not all sites have full hook ups. Shhh keep this place a secret! It has a bunch of 1800s style buildings to explore like a post office, railroad building, school house, all kinds of stuff and a boat-shaped play place.

Clean

Very nice camping. Lots to do.

Decent site for amphitheater camping

I stayed here in June and it was a pretty nice place. Several spots for tent camping, but several electric hookups were not functional. Bathrooms were not impeccable, but they were fairly updated. The only real problem we encountered was the dirt road through the site was difficult to navigate, even though it hadn’t rained for a few days. Just a lot of wear and tear. But super friendly campground, and will definitely return!

Always clean and well maintained.

We love it here. We reserve the same primitive campsite yearly for a full week for our anniversary. We love hiking the trails and riding our bikes as well as walking the whole park. It is always clean and very well maintained.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Hats at Big Fish-N-Campground

Campground Review:

If you're looking for a great place for catch and release fishing, this is it! There are three huge ponds fully stocked with fish. The fishing is also open to the public where people can get day passes for 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours of fishing. It may also include access to the pool. I'm not too knowledgeable on fishing but the ponds do look a bit murky and dirty. If you were able to keep the fish, I'm not sure I would want to eat what I caught. The pool is nice and open based on request from 11am-6pm and they'll extend the hours based on the weather and amount of people there. Weekends are much busier than the week days. The grounds has 5 rows of RV sites. It seems most of them are filled with seasonal folks who spend almost every weekend here. Most are back in sites as well. The roads are pretty nicely done with white rock. I don't remember any serious potholes. There campground does not offer cable, internet or laundry. They are pet friendly, however, due to it being more about the fishing, watch where they step, I've found old fishing wire with hooks still attached on the ground. You get a code to the gate if you are staying for a while, more short term people will get a token to put in and you'll have to get a new token every time you want to come in from the store. The store is mostly filled with fishing gear, some snacks and drinks too. All in all, its an all right campground. I've stayed at nicer, I've stayed at worse.

Product Review:

As a ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes get products to test out. This time I've been testing out hats from Banner & Oak. They have a wide array of hats available on their site including beanies for those colder months. I got one from both the men's and women's sections. First off, I wish there were just as many options for the women's as the men's. A lot of them men's ones are much cooler. Like the one I got which says "Freedom To Explore" I can't think of a better slogan for the RV lifestyle. With both hats you can tell they are made from very high quality materials. That they will last a long, long time. Even through the sweatiest of hikes. Both hats are adjustable which is nice. As a woman, I opted for the women's style since the website stated it had a different sizing structure to fit our different sized heads. I find that if I wear it properly, it will still push down on my ears a little bit. I am, however, still able to wear my sunglasses and the hat no problem and the sun stays out of my face. I do prefer the sizing on the men's hat, maybe I have a weird head shape but I know its pretty small.

Banner & Oak also sell these really awesome aluminum mugs that also say "Freedom To Explore."  The material makes them durable in the camper while we're traveling down the road and they are the perfect size for morning coffee! They're only 10 oz so it gives you the perfect amount (unless your they type that takes an IV of coffee every morning). Great stuff Banner & Oak!

Nice place close to Turkey Run State Park

I stayed at one of the primitive tent sites. It was nice and shaded. As the other reviewer pointed out, further away from the entrance will get you away from the road noise. The shower house was very clean and well kept.

I would definitely stay here again. I would just select a site toward the back.

Impressive Holiday KOA

We tented for two nights here. The lot was spacious but had a big hill, which made sitting in chairs around a camp fire interesting. The reason I was impressed was, let’s be honest, KOA holiday campgrounds tend to be loud and obnoxious. This isn’t a huge campground though, which kept those things in check.

The splash pad / water park was fun, but was not a pool. It only goes to 3 feet so if you want to swim this is not for you. The water was cold but my kiddos finally got in and had fun on the slides.

The balance between kid fun and peaceful nature is actually on point here. It was beautiful and peaceful but still a blast for kids with the water, playground, and even horses to view (not for riding). The one downfall was the wood prices. The bundles were $6.50 each and the entire bundle burned in about an hour. It can get expensive quick!

Nice Overall

Overall, a pretty nice campground if you’re just passing through. The owners are very friendly and will help you set up if you need it. The spots are close together but they have a very nice pool.

Very Clean

This is a great campground to just relax at. It is very clean including the restrooms. You must have all your equipment on the rocks provided. They have some walking trails and a nice farm at the front of the park. Overall, there isn’t a lot to do, but it is still a nice campground.

Great Atmosphere

Overall, a very nice campground. I grew up just 30 minutes away from here and recently just visited for the first time. Nice camp sites and friendly staff. My only reason for not giving 5 stars is the bathrooms are nice, but not air conditioned.

Very Peaceful

Turkey Run has one of the most peaceful campgrounds. It is nestled in the woods, away from big cities and you truly get to enjoy nature. They always have activities for the kids and they have some of the best hiking trails.

Great Family Camground

We have visited this campground twice now. The first time we stayed in one of the cabins. The cabins are large, bathroom was very clean, large screened in porch. Only con was that the cabins all share one large firepit. This past weekend we stayed in a camper. The sites were a nice size. Clean sites. Bathrooms were decent for a campground in my opinion. The kids had a great time riding bikes, playing on multiple playgrounds, and playing in the lake all day.

A getaway

Sites #P1 and #P10 were very nice and cozy!

Great place to have fun and enjoy the outdoors

Great location to river and rentals on site, one of the friendliest people at the office and make sure your taken care of!

Great for families and fun!

We  had an exceptional stay at sugar creek. The staff was beyond pleasant and helpful. We stayed in an electric off creek site. It was very spacious and the campgrounds is well taken care of. The park is great, they offer disc golf, Gaga, and other fun activities. The creek was high for canoeing and tubing the first 2 days but half the family was able to go the third day. Turkey run is only a 35 min drive to beautiful hiking. We can not wait to come back and camp again! All in all we have very few complaints, this includes bathrooms would be nice closer to off creek. And slightly larger shower room for moms with kids along with a couple more hooks to hang stuff.. It’s hard to squeeze in the stall and not have kids touch or drop things. The actual bathroom stalls were clean and taken care of and these are being very picky! Can’t wait to come back.

Great well kept campground. Tent camping sites are ok.

Prophetstown is a very well kept and clean park.  The sites book up super fast on weekends and you have to book months out. If you tent camp like we do the park makes you set tent up on gravel which is a little disappointing.  The best sites are the rev sites and they are slowly growing the tent ones.  Very little shade.  Unless you are on a full hookup site.  The playgrounds are nice and big but far away from the electric sites.  Bike trails are great and paved roads make it easy.  The best thing about this park is the water park. Not included for camping price but still decent priced.  We did go 3 days ina row which cost us $40 total for the weekend.  It can become costly if you go to the park multiple Fay’s ina row.  Overall our trip was great.  We have camped 2 times now.

Plenty of fun!

Raccoon State Recreation Area | Cecil M Harden Lake is located in the heart of historic covered bridge country just 50 miles West of Indianapolis. The campground is surrounded by the 2,060 acre Cecil M Harden reservoir offering boating (boat rental), fishing and a large swimming beach with concessions and amenities. The campground is extremely well maintained with many sites sheltered by tree canopy ranging from non-electric, 30 amp, to 50 amp. Fresh water is available at fill stations and a spacious dump station area make for easy disposal. Many of the sites are not level so chose wisely to suit your needs. Easy beach access from the campground via a paved walk/bike path, well stocked camp store at the entrance to the campground, well maintained bath house facilities, active interpretive Naturalist programs, and numerous hiking trail opportunities round out the amenities. This is a beautiful campground; and if you like to explore…take a drive through the area and enjoy the many historic towns, covered bridges and roller mills throughout the county.

Best Campground I have ever been.

Good size sites, Ample shade, lots of activities..

Mighty fine campground for a city

This place is pretty awesome. It's doesn't have any of the typical summer amenities like a pool but the ones it does have are in tip top shape. Campsites also don't have fire rings but there are a bunch of communal ones around the lake. Plus free communal firewood. The laundry and bathhouse is really stellar too. Clean and open 24/7. Plenty of washers and dryers. There are easy back-ins and pull-thrus. Think some of the pull-thrus are for group camping too the way it's set up. Dog park, free cable (like 60 channels!) and internet (haven't tested strength yet)! I dig it!

Nice place to go

It is one of our favorites

Ghost town

Called when I was about 2 hours away and told them my ETA. Arrived at my estimated time 7:20 pm. No one in office, no instruction for self registration. Drove around to look at campsites & hopefully find someone. Restrooms & showers could use an upgrade. Saw some RVs & campers which appeared to stay there year around.

Hiking and camping

Had fun on the different trails, at the pool and the shade of our campground!

ABSOLUTELY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE!!!

This is the best place to go!!  Around Brown County is beautiful! …went once, was hooked! I go back as often as possible! ….CAMPING AT ITS BEST!

Great people, beautiful campground!

This KOA served as " home" for my husband and I for 3 weeks while moving. The family that runs the campground is wonderful and extremely helpful. The little restaurant has great food at good prices, and many ice cream flavors for those hot summer day's! Great pool and a place to let your dog run! The cabin we stayed in had so much privacy and was adorable! We love this KOA and can't wait to go back!

A nice place to bring the kids.

I think this one is very good for kids. We enjoyed the pool. Had water spraying every which way, a couple slides and a big dump bucket. Deepest part was three foot. The other side is beach style for the little ones. Horse corral right smack in the campground. Chopped up apples and carrots to feed the horses everyday that we were here. Got ice cream, pizza and wings. And they deliver to your sight. Just the nicest folks. So other reviewers were right. One bath house 😬. Can hear traffic. And of coarse like most KOA close together. But over all I like this one a lot. We came for three nights and ended up staying five. Great for a family weekend.

Fun family campsite

The campsite it very spacious and there’s a decent amount of distance between each site. Sites by the river are especially nice. There’s a small camp store for basic necessities, firewood for sale as well and hot showers! Definitely recommend!

Very beautiful

Great trails. Not too difficult so definitely beginner friendly. Campsites in the area are also very pleasant, just be sure to book ahead as they fill up fast.

Bucolic Oasis in Peaceful Indiana Countryside

Book a weekend at Heritage Alpaca Farm (be it in a tent, RV, historic cabin, or forest tensile) and you will not regret it. This well-kept farm is tended to by incredible hosts, Tim & Beth. They have put much love into their inviting and scenic country haven.

As RV campers, we pulled into the circular driveway and parked with ease. A 30 amp hookup and water spigot are available within the recreation barn (along with ping-pong and often times Frost, the friendly Great Pyranese). From your rig you have a view of a small alpaca pasture and their covered event space.

Around the barn is a private fire pit, and Tim provided firewood upon request. Private toilets are a few steps away which are very clean.

WHAT MAKES HERITAGE FARM A GEM:

SUNSETS: We loved walking the grounds at dusk, enjoying epic sunsets and watching the fireflies light up, as far as the eye can see. The bicentennial barn is stunning and wonderfully restored. It's great for an excellent up-close look at the alpacas. Tim is a wealth of knowledge about the docile creatures and happy to answer any questions.

FRESH EGGS: We enjoyed farm fresh eggs every morning from their free-range chickens.

COOL CREEK: A small creek runs across the back of their property. On a hot Summer day, it's a nice place to sit and cool off.

ITALIAN PIZZA: An Italian style wood-fired outdoor pizza oven on the grounds is fired up for community pizza nights. Check with hosts to see when they are doing their next pizza night al fresco.

ALPACA STORE: A boutique on property sells luxury alpaca goods like scarves, wraps, socks, and more. The perfect place to pick up Christmas gifts. In November, a local artisan market is hosted here.

BIKING: The roads around the farm are quiet and smooth and make for excellent bike riding.

SWING: A swing on the property is a fun pastime for kids….Or for a small adult with a childlike spirit :)

*The town of Kokomo offers any groceries or amenities you need and is only a 20-minute drive.