About Dunewoods Campground
National Forest
Dunewoods Campground is located in Indiana
36 Reviews of Dunewoods Campground
Nice campground near the Indiana Dunes National Park

We followed the signs for Indiana Dunes National Park and found ourselves here. There is also a campground directly in the park but this one is just down the road. I think it’s still part of the same place but with a self-check-in there wasn’t anybody to ask.

The camp host left a list of available campsites on the check-in kiosk. We found just two sites still open and took one of them. Our site was a large pull-through with a separate area for the picnic table and a tent. Right across the road was the large restroom complete with showers and flushing toilets. After setting up camp, I heard people in the woods right on the other side of the hill. I walked up the path and found that the neighboring campsite winds back there. We could sort of see them, and definitely hear them, but we still felt separate. The camper and car in the pull through spot provided a nice barrier so our dog didn’t get distracted by people walking by.

The National Park entrance is a few miles down the road. The beach was packed but the trails were emptier. We enjoyed hiking to the summit of 2 dunes. We stopped at the picnic area to have lunch in the shade. There’s also a trail that leads out from camp. However dogs are not allowed on the entire trail so we skipped it.

This is a nice National Park that’s only an hour from Chicago.

Easy camping

You gotta love Indiana dunes national lakeshore! A quick drive from chicago this campsite is a real good place to get away from the city and enjoy the outdoors. It’s one of my favorite places to go within an hour’s drive. The campsite has everything you need. Modern bathrooms and showers, running water. Good for tent camping. It’s clean and a quick drive to a quiet beach at Beverly Shores. I highly recommend!

Quiet campground, except for the train

We enjoyed our stay at Indiana Dunes National Park with a few exceptions. First of all, as many of the other reviewers have mentioned, the bathrooms and showers were dirty. The noise from nearby trains was very loud, and it definitely felt like an urban camping experience. The campsite was clean and spacious, with plenty of room for our two tents and a hammock.

We really enjoyed hiking the Long Lake Trail through dunes and woods and the Cowels Bog Trail to a secluded beach. We watched the sunset from the nearby Kempil Beach. It was so lovely, but we spent much of the evening picking up trash, which was everywhere. I'm glad I paid a visit to our newest national park, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to return.

Disgusting

We’ve stayed at Indiana dunes every year on our road trip. We’ve stayed here in the past because it was beautiful, quiet, and clean. This year we got in a little late on Tuesday evening and the entire campground was packed and the showers and bathrooms were FILTHY. We’ll never go there again. The only change we could see was the put huge advertisements for the campground everywhere which obviously attracted the wrong crowd. It’s a shame.

Pros and Cons

Reservations can be made online as of 2019 so expect fewer FCFS sites. This is an always full, very popular campground. Being close to the Indiana Dunes is the draw. The campground does offer shuttles on some days from the campground to the parking lot near the National Lakeshore making it accessible to campers when the beach parking lots are full (every weekend). This is a noisy campground. Surrounded by train tracks they roll through late and early and you will hear them. The property itself needs some serious maintenance and the descriptions for spots are WAY off, with sites being listed as RV that are way too small and the pictures and occasional sizes listed to individual sites are not correct. Our friends have a large pop up and were unable to fit in the spot. Bathrooms closed for cleaning at 8:00am on Sunday morning!!?! Also the Mather loop bathroom showers are DISGUSTING. I think the Mather loop is older and the sites and facilities are more worn out. They desperately need to be power washed. There is mold everywhere. Finally, while I know there has been a ton of rain and there isn’t anything that can be done, the entire area behind our campsite was a cesspool of mosquitos with no maintenance to improve low ground areas. Site 32 described as 35 foot pad, too short and too narrow for large popup camper with pickup. Someone needs to go through and do a better designation as most sites look to be park and tent sites.

Convenient

Conveniently located for the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore which I used as a scenic layover point in a long drive. It was not very busy (on a Sunday night) and thus was quiet despite the individual camping sites being pretty squished together. However, the quiet at night does mean that you can hear I-94 in the background. The digital registration station for after hours is a modern touch (Credit/debit card only), but it was hard to pick a site since there was no way of knowing what was occupied vs open. $25/night. The bathroom and shower facilities were good. Picnic table and fire circle at each camp ground. Trash, recycling, and dump station for RVs.

The site itself was packed sand/dirt/gravel which was not the most comfortable spot for a tent. Also, it was incredibly buggy and the small gap between my shoes and pant leg got destroyed by mosquitoes.

Favorite campground in the dunes

This is seriously my favorite campground. My family and I have been camping here for more than ten years. We have camped in the walk-ins and the drive-up spots.

The sites are private and the bathrooms are super duper clean. Showers are great.

You can take the train from downtown Chicago and get off at the Beverly Shores stop on the south shore line. The campsite is seriously a quarter mile walk from the stop.

There is an awesome gas station at the corner where you can get coffee and donuts in the morning. Ice and beverages during the day and soft serve ice serve ice cream at night. There are also two wood stove pizza trucks next to the gas station.

There is a nice sandy beach one mile walking distance through an amazing prairie. Great walk at night back from the beach after watching the sunset. Very romantic.

Plenty if things to do in the area. Lots of pick your own berry patches and kayaking spots.

Lovely spot outside of Chicago

Stayed here on a Thursday night and it was quiet, lovely and beautiful. Great sites with table, fire ring, and tent pad. Clean bathrooms with nice showers and kind rangers. Cheapest campsite in the area. 3 min drive to a beautiful beachfront on the lake. Would stay here again.

Great campground

There are no reservations, so get there early to get yourself a spot! There are a lot fewer campsites than RV sites.

Who Would Have Thought A Lake Could Look Like An Ocean

Extremely nice sites with ample space between. Offers quiet privacy with very nice bathrooms and free spacious showers. Did I mention the price - far less than one would expect. The lakeshore is beautiful and clean and the sandy beaches were made for walking.