the dyrt
National Forest
Dunewoods Campground is located in Indiana
31 Reviews of Dunewoods Campground
Convenient

Conveniently located for the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore which I used as a scenic layover point in a long drive. It was not very busy (on a Sunday night) and thus was quiet despite the individual camping sites being pretty squished together. However, the quiet at night does mean that you can hear I-94 in the background. The digital registration station for after hours is a modern touch (Credit/debit card only), but it was hard to pick a site since there was no way of knowing what was occupied vs open. $25/night. The bathroom and shower facilities were good. Picnic table and fire circle at each camp ground. Trash, recycling, and dump station for RVs.

The site itself was packed sand/dirt/gravel which was not the most comfortable spot for a tent. Also, it was incredibly buggy and the small gap between my shoes and pant leg got destroyed by mosquitoes.

Favorite campground in the dunes

This is seriously my favorite campground. My family and I have been camping here for more than ten years. We have camped in the walk-ins and the drive-up spots.

The sites are private and the bathrooms are super duper clean. Showers are great.

You can take the train from downtown Chicago and get off at the Beverly Shores stop on the south shore line. The campsite is seriously a quarter mile walk from the stop.

There is an awesome gas station at the corner where you can get coffee and donuts in the morning. Ice and beverages during the day and soft serve ice serve ice cream at night. There are also two wood stove pizza trucks next to the gas station.

There is a nice sandy beach one mile walking distance through an amazing prairie. Great walk at night back from the beach after watching the sunset. Very romantic.

Plenty if things to do in the area. Lots of pick your own berry patches and kayaking spots.

Lovely spot outside of Chicago

Stayed here on a Thursday night and it was quiet, lovely and beautiful. Great sites with table, fire ring, and tent pad. Clean bathrooms with nice showers and kind rangers. Cheapest campsite in the area. 3 min drive to a beautiful beachfront on the lake. Would stay here again.

Great campground

There are no reservations, so get there early to get yourself a spot! There are a lot fewer campsites than RV sites.

Who Would Have Thought A Lake Could Look Like An Ocean

Extremely nice sites with ample space between. Offers quiet privacy with very nice bathrooms and free spacious showers. Did I mention the price - far less than one would expect. The lakeshore is beautiful and clean and the sandy beaches were made for walking.

Great grounds, not super well monitored

Loved the camp ground. Visited in May. Not as quiet between sites since there were no leaves on the trees yet. Each site had plenty of space and each site was very different. Our camping area was set back from the parking area which was nice. The bathrooms were clean and there was a sink for cleaning dishes on the outside of the bathroom building. Bummer that you can't reserve ahead of time but was also kind of nice because you could really see the site before reserving it. The reason for 4 stars was the lack of personnel available. The registration is thru an ATM like system. Didn't see a single ranger or anyone doing rounds during our visit, but the headquarters are near so someone probably could be called. Overall this wouldn't be an issue but there was two bus loads of college kids that came up and went to walk in sites. Needless to say, they thru quite the party. One of the other campers went around 2 am to tell them to quiet down. Not sure how often this is likely to happen but with no personnel to monitor, I could see this happening a lot. There are camp hosts, but none were there either. If given the chance, I would absolutely return to this camp ground.

Quiet, very private, but BUGGY campground

Pros: This campground is very quiet, and very private with lots of shade and privacy plants. The bath/shower houses were very modern and clean, and the showers were free! I would say the facilities were some of the best I've ever encountered in a campground.

Cons: You'll pay for the privacy/quiet in this campground; because there is so much thick plant undergrowth, the bugs in this campground were the worst I've encountered in my life. There was not a time during the entire day where I wasn't eaten alive by mosquitoes, and the bugs were so loud at night I actually had to use earplugs because I thought the sound was going to drive me to madness. If you stay here, please, PLEASE take my advice and bring a lot of insect spray, and mosquito netting (in the form of suits or a tent) if you plan to hang outside at the campsite at all.

Other general notes: When I visited they would not accept reservations, but I was there the last weekend in August and had no problem getting a site mid-afternoon. You have to pay by electronic kiosk, so have a credit card ready. And while the place is private, not 10 minutes away is a 24-hour Walmart if you need emergency supplies (or a 4 am trip to forget about the bugs!), which is really helpful in a pinch. The campground is also fairly close to Michigan City, which is a great area with lots of brew-houses, pubs, and restaurants.

Great Area, Very Convient

We had such a great time at our site for the Questival event in Chicago! Although it was a short stay, we enjoyed the campfire and atmosphere with fellow Questivvalians

Great place!

Easy check-in with first come first serve. The campsite proximity to the lake and all the dunes have to offer is awesome! And super close to the big city.

Great Camping!

Right near the beach, everything you need is close, staff is nice, and it's affordable