Indiana Dunes National Park, INDIANA
Camping Indiana Indiana Dunes National Park
Most Recent Indiana Dunes National Park Camping Reviews
Clean and quiet

Although we would normally wait until the last minute to book a site, we booked early this time, and were glad that we did. All tent sites were reserved a week before our trip, so best to plan ahead. We chose sites 4, 5, and 6 to accommodate our group of 7. Each site had morning shade only, and the shade from the forest to the east of the sites closed in around 5 p.m. This campsite allows up to 2 tents per site, but it was nice to spread out a bit. We chose the sites that we did expecting to have a view of the river, but the maps are misleading– there is no river view, although it’s only a few feet to the river. It’s probably for the best though, since there is a boat ramp that runs through the campground that gets plenty of use. Despite the fact that we had a fair amount of rain during our trip, our sites never got muddy, because the soil is very sandy. An annoyance when your feet are constantly dirty, but great when it’s a stormy weekend. The sites were a good size, complete with fire pit, grill grate, and picnic table, and the entire campground was well maintained. The pit toilets were cleaned daily and were always well stocked. The showers were also clean, HOWEVER, as a tent camper, you’re not allowed to use the showers.(?!!) I mean, really, what are we? Heathens? We were chased away until we removed the blue placard given at check-in. The Park has a lot of hiking trails, and other activities. The town of Winamac was pretty small, but there are canoe, kayak, and pontoon rentals nearby. We also saw a paintball court close by. Firewood($6/bundle) and ice($2/bag) are available at the park gate. There is a private, certified, gentleman selling dry, well-seasoned firewood about a mile or two north of the park on US 35, east side of the road. He charges$20 for more than 10 times the amount of wood provided by the park.

Great campground.

Friendly owners and clean facilities. Located right on the beautiful Tippecanoe River with float, canoe, and kayak rentals. Showers, pool and general store.

Enjoyed stay

Nice campground and spacious campsites. Lots of hiking trails. Boating, swimming. Park staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. HOWEVER since when has solicitation been allowed in a state park. Big event tent set up on one site serving as base for an RV dealer/mfg. 20+sites reserved for gathering of that brand of RV some with brand advertising signs. We pulled in on Thursday and were unable to stay through the weekend because the park was full—-full because of buy up of sites for solicitation. 😡

Nice little campground

The surrounding area seems like the camp is in a bad location, but the bushes that surround the place block out all the noise. The sites are decent size, there are 2 small fishing ponds (live crawlers work best). There’s a swimming pond and firewood is available by the front desk in the shed. Small, quiet, campground near Walmart, biglots, dollar general and tons of food.

Great place

Super clean camp. The whole place gets mowed every Wednesday morning, but the landscape crew is awesome. Brand new pool and a decent little gift shop for snacks and random odds and ends. There are quite a few seasonal goers at this campground, but overall it’s a super laid back, safe facility.

Nice campground near the Indiana Dunes National Park

We followed the signs for Indiana Dunes National Park and found ourselves here. There is also a campground directly in the park but this one is just down the road. I think it’s still part of the same place but with a self-check-in there wasn’t anybody to ask.

The camp host left a list of available campsites on the check-in kiosk. We found just two sites still open and took one of them. Our site was a large pull-through with a separate area for the picnic table and a tent. Right across the road was the large restroom complete with showers and flushing toilets. After setting up camp, I heard people in the woods right on the other side of the hill. I walked up the path and found that the neighboring campsite winds back there. We could sort of see them, and definitely hear them, but we still felt separate. The camper and car in the pull through spot provided a nice barrier so our dog didn’t get distracted by people walking by.

The National Park entrance is a few miles down the road. The beach was packed but the trails were emptier. We enjoyed hiking to the summit of 2 dunes. We stopped at the picnic area to have lunch in the shade. There’s also a trail that leads out from camp. However dogs are not allowed on the entire trail so we skipped it.

This is a nice National Park that’s only an hour from Chicago.

Pretty nice....

I was super pumped to check this place out, but it wasn’t exactly as great as I was expecting. For one, no dogs on the beach😒 There was a small area for them, but nothing in comparison. Also, no alcohol…. hrmmmm, I’m not a lush or anything, but I do like a few beers at the campground. Otherwise, the hiking was nice and there were some cool areas to climb around the dunes. Ultimately, I would probably choose something that suited me a little better next time.

Gorgeous Campground

We actually love a few miles from this gem. The campground was very well maintained, especially the bathrooms. Staff was very friendly and informative. You can easily walk to the large dunes and lake or it is a quick drive.

Family Friendly Camground

We went last summer and we had a blast. The kids loved the jumping pillow, pool, and nightly tractor-pull train. Bathrooms were clean and conveniently located. Our site had plenty of space and lots of shade. Very accommodating when we requested a site near friends.

Dont waste to time or money

Very small sites and narrow roads with tight turns to navigate thru with camper

Do not stay here!!!

First night wasn’t to bad. One person next to us came and went several times late at night with really loud music playing. 11pm second night we had to pack up our stuff and leave after a fight broke out in front of our camp site between the owners and other people at the property. This happened in front of my kids and their cousins playing on the playground. This is advertised as a family campground but definitely not somewhere I would recommend taking kids.

Amazing views, great quick getaway from Chicago

This campground was easy peasy and had an incredible view of the lake. We were right there on the lake. We went in September so I'm not sure how it would be in the summer since there is little to no cover.

There was nice hiking and we were able to get out into the woods for a while. My friend and I were surprised that such a nice place is so close to Chicago. There is a dock and the campground had good access to water, sink, and a nice bathroom. Lots of families were there when we went. Overall would recommend.

Easy camping

You gotta love Indiana dunes national lakeshore! A quick drive from chicago this campsite is a real good place to get away from the city and enjoy the outdoors. It’s one of my favorite places to go within an hour’s drive. The campsite has everything you need. Modern bathrooms and showers, running water. Good for tent camping. It’s clean and a quick drive to a quiet beach at Beverly Shores. I highly recommend!

Quiet campground, except for the train

We enjoyed our stay at Indiana Dunes National Park with a few exceptions. First of all, as many of the other reviewers have mentioned, the bathrooms and showers were dirty. The noise from nearby trains was very loud, and it definitely felt like an urban camping experience. The campsite was clean and spacious, with plenty of room for our two tents and a hammock.

We really enjoyed hiking the Long Lake Trail through dunes and woods and the Cowels Bog Trail to a secluded beach. We watched the sunset from the nearby Kempil Beach. It was so lovely, but we spent much of the evening picking up trash, which was everywhere. I'm glad I paid a visit to our newest national park, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to return.

Absolutely wonderful

This campground is phenomenal. Staff is amazing, grounds are always well maintained, bathrooms and showers are always clean. If you’re looking for a kid friendly campground, then this is it. Multiple playgrounds, awesome hiking and nature trails, cool shop on site with toys, odds & ends you may have forgotten at home, firewood, options between small and big bags of ice, etc. We will definitely be back!

Lake life

The location was the best thing about this campground. It’s mostly permeant residents who like to party late into the night. There are 4 camp sites with very little space between. Biggest turn offs- extremely loud all night, horrible bathrooms. Upside: amazing location (able to walk to lake and two breweries), friendly owner.

So close to the beach

This was a prime location. Super close to the beach, which was nice during the 90° heat. It was also a quick drive to the nearby wineries. The beach was very sandy and large. Ok bathrooms. Smaller spots for the tent, but we made do.

Lovely Lake Michigan

This is a state park which has an entrance fee and camping you can reserve. The area is beautiful. Big dunes, lovely water. On clear evenings you can see the skyline of Chicago across the lake. The state park has many well maintained hiking trails and cross country skiing trails in the winter. Be careful in the lake, because rip current often take young visitors out too far and into dangerous waters.

Soft, sandy spots with beautiful beach access

You can’t get closer to the beach than at these beach access campsites. Nightly sunsets here will knock your sandals off. A majority of the RV sites here are occupied by locals who buy out the spot for the season and come in to enjoy it on the weekends.

PROS:

The beach: Weko is a lovely local beach. Sand is soft and the water is shallow far out into the surf. A food and sundries shop is on premise. SUP and kayak rentals are also on the beach.

Bridgman: the town of Bridgman is super cute. Three local breweries are in town, along with a wine tasting room and local food restaurants.

CONS:

The bathrooms: Weko Beach campground bathrooms leave much to be desired. They are co-Ed and each shower stall has a locking door. Bathrooms are old, but cleaned daily. Lack of airflow has lead to mold and mildew growth.

Sandy campsite: this campground is not paved since it is in and amongst the dunes. Therefor, the soil is sandy and often soft. We got our airstream stuck using our 2 wheel drive truck and needed the help of a 4x4 to get us out. Some sites are flat while others are on a hill.

OTHER:

There are 2 RV loops, and one primitive loop. Primitive sites have porta -Johns.

During the summer there are live music concerts out on the beach.

You can grab the campground WiFi only if you’re standing outside the office.

Open campsites but nice area

Variety of hikes can be done here through wooded areas, wetlands, and prairies. You can rent boats or bikes. Lots of bike trails. Canoeing the lake is very enjoyable too and reasonable prices ($20 for the day). The campground is pretty open, not much/any buffer between campsites, but they are large sites. Nature center is very nice for young kids.

Such a great experience

Had a wonderful trip here. Close to the lake with a beach that was not very crowded and enjoyed watching the sunset. I stayed in a cabin here that was cozy and comfortable. Loved that the small store and bathrooms were close and that it was a smaller campground

Disgusting

We’ve stayed at Indiana dunes every year on our road trip. We’ve stayed here in the past because it was beautiful, quiet, and clean. This year we got in a little late on Tuesday evening and the entire campground was packed and the showers and bathrooms were FILTHY. We’ll never go there again. The only change we could see was the put huge advertisements for the campground everywhere which obviously attracted the wrong crowd. It’s a shame.

Pros and Cons

Reservations can be made online as of 2019 so expect fewer FCFS sites. This is an always full, very popular campground. Being close to the Indiana Dunes is the draw. The campground does offer shuttles on some days from the campground to the parking lot near the National Lakeshore making it accessible to campers when the beach parking lots are full (every weekend). This is a noisy campground. Surrounded by train tracks they roll through late and early and you will hear them. The property itself needs some serious maintenance and the descriptions for spots are WAY off, with sites being listed as RV that are way too small and the pictures and occasional sizes listed to individual sites are not correct. Our friends have a large pop up and were unable to fit in the spot. Bathrooms closed for cleaning at 8:00am on Sunday morning!!?! Also the Mather loop bathroom showers are DISGUSTING. I think the Mather loop is older and the sites and facilities are more worn out. They desperately need to be power washed. There is mold everywhere. Finally, while I know there has been a ton of rain and there isn’t anything that can be done, the entire area behind our campsite was a cesspool of mosquitos with no maintenance to improve low ground areas. Site 32 described as 35 foot pad, too short and too narrow for large popup camper with pickup. Someone needs to go through and do a better designation as most sites look to be park and tent sites.

Bring your own shower

The following review was done by my thirteen year old daughter. I agree with the shower problems and add that it was our final cold showers in disgusting conditions that lead us to write the review.

“If I could give negative stars❌ then trust me I would. Normally I consider myself a good sport and can sit through a lot of things✌🏼 but not the showers here😡, they look like they haven’t been cleaned or cared for in months🤮 and often have no toilet paper in the bathroom stalls. When I took a shower I found a small frog🐸 in it and I wish I was joking about that. There were dead mosquitoes on the walls💀, dead moths on the floors, piles of hair on the floors🤢, and dirt in every crack. But they have a nice Rockwall🧗🏽‍♂️.”

Other than the shower issues, the campsite🏕 was fine. It was easy to level, they give you free firewood with your stay, the staff is kind😇 at checkin and during rock wall activities. The location🗺 is the main draw, as we wanted to be close enough to visit Chicago and suburbs.🙂

Favorite Spot

Nice size campsites. Plenty of shade. Lots of things to do.

Love the campground not the entry

Love the campground however a separate entrance for re-entry to the campground would be a great idea for this place

Great State park

Bike trails, hiking trails, fishing, beach fun for the whole family.

It’s like climbing up the down escalator

My calves still hurt from hiking up these massive sand dunes. The view is stunning which makes it feel worth it. The place has a lot of geological history that’s neat to look into. Good place to teach a person how to skip rocks.

National Treasure

This camp ground was a federal site that was wonderful.  It just had so much to do in the campground and near by as well. We went to look at the light house, sand dunes, lake, beach, and even rode the train into Chicago for the day.

3 Dunes Challenge

This was a great State Park and loved the sand dune challenge as it got us out hiking. The sand dunes were beautiful.  The views were stunning on top of the sand dunes. The trail is well marked and should only be done by those in good shape.  It is tricky to walk on the sand.