Equestrian
About Paynetown

This recreation area is part of Monroe Lake

Paynetown is located in Indiana
9 Reviews of Paynetown
Just a few steps from the water.

I was very pleased with our camping expierence at this wonderful campground. 2 days wasnt nearly enough. My kids enjoyed nature, had stick wars, and my daughter learned a few things about fishing. Shower houses were clean. There was an activity center and each day they would have some sort of informational class. Plus, there were some nice playgrounds. The best part. Our campground lot was right down the hill from the lake. Great spot to just sneak away.

Adult weekend

We’ve been going here for adult weekend for a few years! Such a blast! Nice big camping spots and the lake is great!

Best we have visited

Me and my wife came to Indiana to visit with family. We all met up at the campground there was 5 of us , the lot we got was small but still good size big enough to fit 2 tents and have plenty of room for our camp fire. I was most impressed with how clean the facilities was. There was someone cleaning the showers and bathrooms every few hours, everything was always fully stocked. There was also tons of stuff to do. We all went out on my brothers boat. The next day my wife and I rented kayaks, we had a blast. We will definitely be back.

Great fun!

My family and sister in laws family camp here every year. Our kids love it and we all have a great time. They always have something to do even if it's just going down to swim at the beach.

Our favorite

This is the campground we visit the most. There is always something to do. The beach, the trails, the geocaches on the trails, kayak and boat rentals, the activity center. There is something for everyone and enough to fill up your days. The activity center has programs all the time and there is always something going on there.

you have to reserve a spot early to get one with shade on busy weekends (we do non electric tent camping)

The older gentleman at check in is slow so expect to wait awhile to get in. They need more primitive sites.

The sunset was amazing.

It was quite small, but the hiking was amazing. We found so many geodes along the way. Lake Monroe is one of my favorite places to be, the sunsets are magical. Also there is a ton of things to do such as boating, canoeing, and swimming etc.

We’re here for the boating

We live a couple of hours away from the lake but find it’s worth the drive for a day of boating. This is our first time at the campground. I love the convenience for boatIng and campIng. Our sites have some slope to them…I hate it when the camper wheels are off the ground. The sites are good sized for camping alone or with a group although the roads to get to the sites are tight (especially as it’s filled up heading into the weekend). If you don’t have a boat they offer pontoons, canoes and kayaks for rent. We’ll definitely be back!

Great for groups and meeting people

This is one of the largest campgrounds in all of Indiana. It includes hundreds of campsites. This includes RV hookups, standard campsites, and primitive campsites. There is running water and fully functional bathrooms with showers.

There are campsites on the lake, so you can easily go to a from your watercraft. There are only a few so reserve several months in advance.

If you are looking for a quiet campsite this may NOT be for you. With such large crowds (especially on holidays) it can be loud. Expect to see many families. Drunken behavior isn't uncommon but generally isn't a problem.

Lake Monroe Living

Paynetown boasts the second largest beach on Lake Monroe, and the primitive sites include a very nice shower house. If you are tent camping there aren't many places to tie a tarp, so bring a free standing tarp if you like to have some space out of the occasional rain. There is an interpretive Nature Center and another shower house by the beach, and ample parking for day use. Boat rentals are available as well. Expect to see Canadian geese as the resident scavenger here instead of the usual raccoons found at Indiana parks. Other notable birds to keep an eye out for include swifts, killdeers, turkey buzzards, bald eagles, golden eagles, and great blue herons. Fishing for small and largemouth bass, crappie, channel catfish, and an assortment of bream is successful near the boat slips and along the shore.