Standard (Tent/RV)
Equestrian
About Monroe Lake Campground

Located 6 miles south of Bloomington and the IU campus, Monroe Lake is the largest in Indiana. Paynetown Campground is a recreation area that is part of Monroe Lake. Activities at Monroe include fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, picnicking, water recreation, bird/eagle viewing, and many others.

Price
Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 40 ft.
Monroe Lake Campground is located in Indiana
Directions
From the north, State Rd 37 south to State Rd. 46 east to State Rd. 446 south to property. From the south, State Rd. 37 north to State Rd. 50 east to State Rd. 446 north to property. From the east, State Rd. 46 west to State Rd. 446 south to property. From the west, State Rd. 46 east to State Rd. 446 south to property.
18 Reviews of Monroe Lake Campground
Lake Views - Good for Covid

With COVID, it seems that everyone…and then more people are going camping. It's a bittersweet type of situation. Nevertheless, it's been very hard to find decent camping in Indiana that isn't packed in like sardines, while also trying to escape the city and get into nature - not around more people.

Luckily, a friend and I came here last October and this place was great. We got a non electric site and were in the middle of the sites. We had a great lake view and were very happy with our setup. It was a pull-through site, although not all are like that. We were able to set up in no time.

We had lots of space, away from our neighbors. The campstore had wood and random items that you might need should you forget. We were just steps away from the lake and enjoyed walking down there every morning. There aren't the best hiking trails around, so you'll need to drive to the nearby Brown County or National Forest to hike on trails that are actually worth the time.

I will add that the setup is a bit odd for non-electric. You basically had to pull up to the gatehouse, get your reservation info, then do a U-turn and go back out past the campstore in order to get to your campground. Very odd setup to say the least.

Great Camping Experience

This was our first camp experience in our new travel trailer. We had plenty of room at our site (site #18), and enjoyed the beauty of nature.

Our stay was for 5 nights, and even though we had some rain, we were able to still enjoy the fire pit most of the time due to the trees overhead.

Water access was plentiful, and easy and fast dump station. There is a playground that kids seemed to really enjoy. They also had a Trick or Treat night, and it was fun to see all of the creative costumes and kids (and adults) having fun. We will definitely return to enjoy more time there. Tony and Margo

Great place to camp!

Probably my favorite place to camp so far (newbie camper). We had a site within a short walk to the water. Our tent site was spacious. Vault toilets. Camp store. Playground, boating, fishing, and boat rentals. There is a lot to offer at the park itself and being a college town, quite a few great bars and restaurants.

Great place for families

This is our go to campground. We have stayed at several others in the area and by far Paynetown has the most to offer for families to have a great camping trip.

Best fun family n beach

Best social camping for family

Love it Here

I have been camping here since I was a kid. Bathrooms and showers are nice. If you want electricity, get an electric site. If you want primitive, get a primitive site. Lots of things to do. Your kids have bo reason to be on electronics here. 😁

Just a few steps from the water.

I was very pleased with our camping expierence at this wonderful campground. 2 days wasnt nearly enough. My kids enjoyed nature, had stick wars, and my daughter learned a few things about fishing. Shower houses were clean. There was an activity center and each day they would have some sort of informational class. Plus, there were some nice playgrounds. The best part. Our campground lot was right down the hill from the lake. Great spot to just sneak away.

Adult weekend

We’ve been going here for adult weekend for a few years! Such a blast! Nice big camping spots and the lake is great!

Best we have visited

Me and my wife came to Indiana to visit with family. We all met up at the campground there was 5 of us , the lot we got was small but still good size big enough to fit 2 tents and have plenty of room for our camp fire. I was most impressed with how clean the facilities was. There was someone cleaning the showers and bathrooms every few hours, everything was always fully stocked. There was also tons of stuff to do. We all went out on my brothers boat. The next day my wife and I rented kayaks, we had a blast. We will definitely be back.

Great fun!

My family and sister in laws family camp here every year. Our kids love it and we all have a great time. They always have something to do even if it's just going down to swim at the beach.