Mellow Valley , ALABAMA

Camping Alabama Mellow Valley

Most Recent Mellow Valley Camping Reviews
Hiking with the boys

After seeing so many massive mountains out west this was a little disappointing but still fun!

Great Park

Camped in upper level and found site clean,level and quiet. Good hiking trails. Great place in Spring and Fall.

One of the Best!

We really enjoyed our stay at Wind Creek. The lake is beautiful with plenty amenities. There are quite a few campsites on the lake, the rest still have lake views. Some slots are smaller than others, which is something you have to be cautious about when reserving your spot. Other than that, everything was amazing! Wind Creek is definitely a place we will return to in the near future and quite often! Check out the views from the Silo in the day use area! Amazing views of the lake!

would stay again

Great for one night stays. I called 24 hrs in advance, since I have a car it was no problem to find a spot. The owner was having a bbq with some of his workers but it wasn’t any problem. Bathrooms on site were super clean and accessible.

Lakefront Serenity

This park has beautiful sites. We stayed in the premium waterfront (January 15th for 6 days, during offseason) and while there were quite a few other neighbors we felt like we had the place to ourselves. I’m sure the place is hopping during season. We kayaked, fished, hiked and the kids geocached, biked and scootered. Great cell service (my kids homeschool). The bath houses were extraordinarily clean and we saw them cleaning them at least once a day. The camp store was a little bare but had a great selection of live bait and tackle. Would definitely return again

High quality campsite

Very well maintained campsites. Stayed in upper improved site 12 which was close to the facilities and has direct access to the trails.

Unfortunately, it was super foggy and wet the entire time we were there. But it doesn’t change the quality of the campground.

Beware, it is a solid 30 minute drive off of the highway. Also, they have a well stocked little shop but wood is expensive up there at $10/bundle (and there are no other options because you are in the middle of nowhere).

We are hoping to go back when it is clear!!

Good stop for night

Overall: A

The Good: the site connections were all available, even in late December. The upper loop road for the small campers was super clean and quiet. The bathhouse was a pleasant surprise. They were spacious, warm and clean.

The Not So Great: the site location, while close to the interstate was via some smaller mostly residential streets. The back loop road appeared to be where the long term rentals were located and was much more cluttered and less presentable.

No Assessment: there were several other amenities that we didn’t have the opportunity to use that appeared nice, clean, and accessible.

Protected Campsite

Check out my photos below to get a better look at this site and pull up my other reviews of Cheaha for my take on hiking in the area. This site specifically is a nice protected area a short way off the trail near the intersection of the Pinhoti and the Odum trail. It is not far from a water source though the water is seasonal and can be very low in winter. Be prepared to not have water for pumping and bring extra in dry times. The site itself is well cleared and has an established fire pit. There are also several large boulders that work well to block the wind and make this a more comfortable space in bad weather or when it is cold out.

Small car camping site

This is a cute car camping site that we have stayed at several times. It provides great access to hiking in Cheaha and is perfect as a home base for adventures in the area. It was actually closed for COVID when we were there but I believe that it is now reopened. I would definitely check online to make sure it is open before planning to camp here. I would definitely suggest this site over the main Cheaha campgrounds since it is more private and primitive which I prefer. Not a great site for RVs though.

Great little state park just outside Auburn.

Traveling back east, we found Chewacla State Park campground on The Dyrt. Due to heavy rain, did not make it as far as we wanted, so this was a last minute same day reservation, which we made online.

Total fees were $42 for a full hookup site. We got site 34 which is an 80' long back in spot. Super easy to back in, even in super dark conditions with heavy cloud cover and no street lights of any kind.

Water pressure is awesome and they have both 30 & 50 amp electric. Sewage is nicely placed in a low spot so you won't need a hose lifter (a rarity in our experience).

Out spot is across from the bath house, but also the dump station. No smells, but I would imagine mornings might be a bit congested and noisy as other campers are leaving and dumping.

Also directly across from the site is a large picnic shelter. Sites are decently spaced apart, though site 35 is a pull through, and though unoccupied on our nights stay, might make it feel a bit more cramped.

Our site had a fire ring and picnic table. And even though it's close to the highway, no noticeable traffic noise. Only thing we could hear were some kids playing across the campground.

It's about 5 minutes off the interstate and very easy access (just watch out for the staggered speed bumps at the campground entrance…it's narrow, too.

No wi-fi in the park. But Verizon 4G was 3 out of 5 bars on my Samsung S20+.

Overall a great spot and easy to reserver online for those looking for a calm and peaceful overnight. Looking forward to getting a run on the trails in the morning!