Proctor Lake, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Proctor Lake Camping Reviews
Great Park

Every site is unique! 2 bath houses which were older but well kept. I wish they would have had one on each end. Placement was a bit weird. Don't worry if you forget a garbage bag, they have some available by the dumpster. There are a few sites with 2 tent pads and a couple sites that basically have their fire pits next to each other so if you are planning to camp with others those would be good sites. If not, you might want to call in. We camped at site 3 and LOVED it. Bit of a hike to the bathroom but not a big deal, i mean, you are probably headed here to hike anyways! You are going to love these unique sites.

Wow

First, campsites are the most unique I've ever seen. Feels like you're camping in the mountains. Trails are amazing and views are unreal. Two bathroom and shower locations are old but clean. Firewood is 6$ a bundle. Make sure you have cash cause that's all that works here. Great shade cover on most sites. Will come back for sure.

Clean campground

Great camp sites. Only one trail out of campsites. Others you have to drive to. Great hiking for all levels.

All time favorite

Fabulous campground. Sites right on the lake. Boating , hiking. Fishing and Friendly people

Everything you could want in a campground

NC campgrounds do it right! There are trash and recycling receptacles located every few campsites. Four dishwashing stations set up behind the restroom. This park has lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, a swimming lake, great fishing, newts to catch, places for kids to explore. We hammock camped and it was wonderful. Located in a beautiful area of NC with the cutest towns surrounding it. I'd love to go back.

Enjoyable tent camping and hiking

My husband and I just returned from a May visit to this campground. It is fairly small, 43 camp sites. No water and electric hookups which we sort of prefer as it seems to be less attractive to mega sized RVs with noisy generators. It was a ratio of about 75%/25% tents to smaller RVs when we were there. Camp site has raised level tent sites not concrete, but hard packed dirt. Also, picnic table and fire pit. The grill on the fire pit was adjustable for height to the coals which was kind of cool. Bath house was a little rustic but plenty of hot water. Firewood is available from the camp host for $6 a bundle. Cash only. If you’re not in good shape get a site above the bath house. Below the bath house involves a good little climb every time you have to go!

Best part of this campground is that it is right on the trail to the summit. The first trail is Grindstone Trail which is a 2 1/2 mile up and back. It’s a moderate trail with equivalent inclines, declines, and level switchbacks. I’m 63 and healthy and it was an appropriate challenge for me. To get to the summit it’s about a half mile of strenuous climb on the Ledge Springs Trail. That part is strenuous in my opinion.

You can also drive up to the summit where you get views of the Yadkin Valley and the knob of Pilot Mountain. It’s crowded up there but accessible for a wide range of people so that’s good. If you don’t prefer crowds go at the beginning or end of the season. Season runs May through October I believe.

Right on the river

This was the first campsite my wife and I stayed at together. We were still in college and decided to try camping for the first time. It was excellent. Being newbies we enjoyed the outlet access and WiFi. This campground is right on the new river and has great tubing kayaking and fishing accommodations.

Clean quiet and friendly

We took our puppy on his first camping trip here. Every camping spot had plenty of space. Our spot included a grill and campsite. There is also a camping manager type person who drives around and sells firewood and helps answer any questions. There are bathroom facilities located in the middle of the area. The camping spot is about a 15 minute walk to the lake or a very short drive. We will definitely be staying here again!

Flatfooting summer fun!

This campground is closed and has been since I’ve been in the area for overnight use. HOWEVER, over the summer, Sunday evenings it’s open due to an awesome bluegrass jam session! I learned how to flatfoot here, enjoyed a sweet tea while sitting in my camp chair, and much more! The trails are a little overgrown, but still a fun experience!

Very nice campground

Nice family owned campground with site by a babbling brook. 4 private bathrooms that are very clean at a centrally located cabin. The RV side is one one half with tent camping on the other. We got in late our first night and went to a super cute restaurant right down the street called meat, fork &cork. Nice owners. Would definitely return. They also give a AAA discount

State Park with Hiking, Water Sports, and Lots of Amenities

If you are looking for a state park with the amenities of a national franchise campground, look no further. I was surprised during our stay in this park. The sites are level and many are shaded. Although we are tent campers, RV campers WILL NOT be disappointed. While we were there, we were able to check out other sites before the season has gotten into full swing. There is even an area for group primitive camping. There is a complete marina for motor boats, and you can feel at ease launching your kayak as well. I didn't take my kayaks this time, but I plan to in the future. There is a swimming beach and group picnic shelters as well. I believe, if I am not mistaken, there is also a conference center. For the RVers, there is a dump station at the campground. The bath house was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting it to be like the bath houses at state parks I have visited before with bare concrete floors and cold water showers, if any at all. The bath house we used had tiled floor showers and marble/granite counter tops. I highly recommend Claytor Lake, and I will be back!

Enchanted, lots of old trees, clean, family fun, peaceful

Oonly about 6 spots for large RV, this is a wooded campground, on site laundry, small store, very clean bathhouse with very hot water, no a.c. needed

Great campground

Wonderful area! We can camp and the campsite was level. Clean bathrooms. Trails are marked well. Beach area is large.

Very peaceful

We've stayed at Reidsville Lake Campground twice this year so far. There are eight lakefront sites. The sites closer to the water are provided with power and water. The sites near the entrance have power, water and sewer hookup. Starting in July 2019 the campground will also have WiFi.

No longer open to transient guest

This campground is now seasonal only

Traditional, friendly, relaxed, family-owned, repeater, camper-focused

My husband and I just purchased Smith Mountain Campground in December 2018. We are so happy to have found this gem as this has been our dream for many years. I grew up working in a campground; calling Bingo, lifeguarding, working at the concession stand. It was one of the best experiences of my teen years. The seasonals would invite us (bingo workers) over to their sites to sit by the fire and drink beer. Gosh, so many good memories!! That's what I want my new campground to be all about, GOOD MEMORIES for everyone that stays with us!! Please come visit!

Suitable for a weekend

Stayed here for 2 nights to be near our son at Virginia Tech plus we try to tour as many cavers as possible. Its an old campground but that's not always a bad thing. Could hear traffic because we were right under it. Toured Dixie Caverns. Unless you can climb 30 flights of stairs best not to go. Not that interesting. Like climbing a silo and climbing down the other side. But able to check off another one. Its an experience!

Quiet and Private

Another large but empty campground, with 73 campsites and two loops you have lots of spots to choose from. Every site is tent or trailer ready, with picnic tables, campfire ring, tent pads, and the ability to pitch two tents. However, there is no hookups or dumping station at this campground. They do have hot showers, sinks, drinking water, and flush toilets. The sites are not able to be reserved, so it is a first-come-first-serve basis.

The trails here are great, right in the middle of the campground you can hike basically straight up for a mile or so and reach the observation tower which overs amazing 360 degree views. Definitely a must see view.

nice little AT shelter

I stayed at this AT shelter when I was doing a section hike with some friends. It's not bad as far as shelters on the AT go. There is not a water source too close to the shelter. The closest one is about 3 miles North. The sites aren't bad though, pretty flat. There is also a wooden shelter maintained by the AT, but those aren't my favorite to sleep in. Seemed nice as far as they go though.

I was hiking a little section that includes Mcafee Knob, one of the most photographed spots on the AT. This spot is really awesome. It can also just be done as a day hike, so I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a 8ish mile hike. Another cool thing about this area is that there's some fairly nice bouldering to be found near the top. Some of the routes are a little under maintained and mossy, but there are some fun ones. Lugging a crash pad all the way to the top isn't the most fun, but worth it if you want to get some cool bouldering in.

Good times

Had a great time. Staff friendly, tubing fun.

Loved The Grounds!!

Ever wake up on a foggy Virginia morning and walk only a few feet fro your tent and watch the fog rise off the water? I DID and it was AMAZING!!

This place is pretty amazing, it is used for camping but also for day use depending on what area of the park you travel toward. There is a historic site with great information, a boat ramp and launch area which is spacious, playgrounds, horse stables, pavilion, canoe area and on site security to make sure your stay is safe and enjoyable.

Reservations are preferred however they do have same day availability some times. You do need to make sure you display your paperwork on your dash to confirm your parking in the lot before hiking into your site itself. If you don't like carrying your things in, this is not the camp for you! You will be required to carry your things into your site, however there is a nice paved walking area for you to do so.

My site was close to the main entrance, so no biggie!

This is pretty bare bones camping, no electrical, no RVs, no flush toilets. But there is drinking water available and also each site is equipped with the standard picnic table and fire ring.

There was a store on site but I never went in so I am not sure about what all they have, being kind of removed from town I just went ahead and brought my goods in.

While I was here I did see a lot of nature roaming and loved it!! They did let me know it gets pretty crazy during prime season and weekends can be a bit tough as well.

TIPS:

• Book online in advance!!
  • Bring your canoe, there is an island you can row across to and enjoy just a few hundred yards from camp. Well worth the exploration!!
Beautiful Area

I would highly recommend staying at the State Park! don’t go cheap and go with another campsite. that state park has amazing views, awesome trails, and places to rent kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards.

Something for Everyone

We take an annual summer trip here. The waterfall hikes, beach with concession area and nearby tubing down the Dan River make this a great campground to explore the beautiful NC mountains. The campsites and restrooms are well maintained and the camp hosts are knowledgeable and friendly.

Nice little campground

there's a lot of camper spaces… and about 6 or 7 tent sites. all have electric but not all have running water. pool is good sized cool little camper kitchen. excellent staff, very friendly and attentive to your needs and feedback… we will definitely go again!

Nicely kept RV spots. Conveniently located bath house. We got sites right next to our friends where we wanted to be. The lake and beach area were beautiful. Sand was soft and very clean. Free entrance to the beach while staying at the campground which is nice. We would definitely stay again if we were passing through.

Great first experience with a toddler

This was a close (1 hour drive) from Winston Salem and was the perfect first tent camping experience! Tons of beautiful trails, some with waterfalls, and a great beach! Camp site was mexcellent! Just enough privacy and clean bathrooms, plenty of water spickets! We will be back!

Quiet. Woodsy

This was the nicest KOA we stayed at this year

A little too close for my comfort.

Pulled in here an hour after closing and was a little spooked. Very small campground, maybe 50 sites in all. Even after calling to reserve, we were left to just choose a site and drop off the money. Sites were tight.

Very woodsy, great camping area lovely river,water cafa

Many trails to hike well maintained.great place for the 4th of july

Rate it 5 stars very well maintained, has perfect waters to swim, boat,fish

Perfect clean clear water to fish,swim