Proctor Lake, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Proctor Lake Camping Reviews
Nice

We stayed here in the winter months (Feb - April) and it was really nice. Nearest town for groceries is 10 min away but you'll have to travel to Greensboro for bigger stores. Lake is peaceful and provides beautiful sunsets. Office staff is friendly.

Phenomenal campground!

A great out of the way location. A bit of a drive in but worth the travel. Extremely clean and well maintained facility. Peaceful and level spots. The hosts are awesome and a great place to relax with no cell phone coverage or WiFi. Rent some kayaks and enjoy nature. We will be back.

Beautiful Place !

Gorgeous, out of the way campground ! Little tight to navigate, but have definitely seen worse. Very quite and slow paced. Camp store is one of the finest I’ve seen. Reasonably priced for a camp store. Didn’t get to stay long, as it was a drive through, but would definitely come back !! Only down side was the price.Would’ve been 5 stars, but $63 dollars for a Sunday night. One little night. Seems quite steep, and could’ve found a hotel room cheaper. But, needing a place to hook up and take a shower…Thanks for being here KOA !!

Awesome

Spending a week by the lake was one of the best experiences here. Lots of adventures to explore including hunting Fairystones, swimming, boating, fishing.

Good times

Great place to fish and swim with the family.

Picking up Rocks - The Best Day for Two Boys

We took to Fairystone for the maiden voyage of our pop up camper July 4th weekend, the day after we purchased it. We were not disappointed.

Facilities were clean, campground was well laid out and accessible, check-in was smooth, and the online reservation process had zero kinks!

The programming was also amazing for our eight and four-year old boys. Ranger Lexie hunted legendary fairystones with our kids and they haven't stopped talking about the magic of the hunt!

Great family campout with plenty to do for our kids. They also loved the swimming area, although it was a little disappointing our reservation only earned us a one-day pass - but better planning on our part will make that part smoother when we return!

Overall, a great trip for our family!

Great camp for an overnight stay

Wide open beautiful sites.   Many with pull through sites.   Lots of room.  Great for astronomy buffs.   Stopped here on our way north.  Drawback is no hookups or WiFi.  Would have been great to at least have water.  Only a few miles from Mabry Mill.

Goose Point = great camping experience

The park rangers and attendants were very friendly, nightly sheriff patrols. If you want some peace and quiet, this is it. Bathrooms and showers were very clean and well maintained, they even had decent TP! Firewood was seasoned and reasonably priced. We were at site 35 which was convenient to the bathrooms and was away from the other campsites in the loop. Clean park, friendly staff, generously sized campsites. Can't wait to go back.

Never again.

This is more of a mobile home park than an actual campground. Many campers are full time residents, a couple of which eerily reminded us of the movie Deliverance. One of the families there doesn't appear to watch their children well, as we had their toddler in a very full diaper and their son (approx 10 yo) constantly at our campsite asking for food. The boy likes to throw rocks, a couple of which scratched our car. : (

The shower/restroom area was frightening. Very dark and dirty. Doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned.

Owner was not very friendly and seemed to be put out by having to rent us a space. We'll never go there again and can't recommend this place to anyone.

Beautiful but rustic

Be prepared to truly rough it if you camp here. No electrical or sewer hook ups for rvs. Perfect for traveling campers that are packing light and have minimal needs.

Beautiful, friendly, clean campground!

We were curious about this site - being 5 miles off the road - so we took the ride to inquire for more information and wow were we in for a surprise!  This campground was beautiful!  The ranger explained to us that they have 3 loops, C (for RV's) B (for tent campers only) and A (prime lake front sites).  She said in order for us to get a lake front site, we needed to make reservations 6 months in advance.

We were feeling lucky - so we asked her for a pass to ride through and see what was available.  She gave us a 15 minute pass and we rode through - and WOW did we see prime camping!  First of all, this lake is BEAUTIFUL!  The color reminds me of Canadian glacier water in areas and you can see the bottom everywhere!  Secondly, the beach was clean, maintained and offered life jackets for kids who needed them.  Thirdly, the sites were well layed out, flat, and gorgeous!  We quickly figured out that if there was a reserved tag on the post, it was reserved - we needed to find an OPEN tag!  Which we did!  In fact, we found 3 of them - which made it hard to decide.  We liked the site on the inside of the loop so kids could play at the playground without crossing the street.  Yet, being so close to this lake, we wanted to be able to sit (or swing) and enjoy the beauty and peace.

The bathhouse was immaculate - in fact, it had just been cleaned when we walked in for the first time!  Stalls, running water and shower stalls with private changing areas.  This campground lacks for nothing.  We will surely be back!

Ranger Review - Stream2Sea sunscreen at Fairy Stone State Park

Campground Review -

We pulled into this campground the long way!  We followed dirt roads through hollers and through cow pastures, passing turkey's and all kinds of creatures along the way!  We learned upon arrival - there is a much easier trek between Floyd VA and Fairy Stone - note to self!

We started at the camp office and met the kind camp workers.  They were friendly and helped explain the layout and set up of Fairy Stone Park.  About a year ago, this park became half first come first served and half reservation only.  Each site has a yellow or red tag on it - the yellow tags have to be reserved by site number.  The red tags can be walk up sites.

We met Ron, the camp host immediately.  He was making his way around campsites in his golf cart - as friendly as can be!  The rangers said he was the best camp host they ever had - and they were right!  He was wonderful, kind and helpful.

We learned about the mysterious "Fairy Stones" and went to the hunt site to see for ourselves.  Sure enough - we found several fairy stones and the kids were very happy!  We came back to the visitor center and learned about the different types of fairy stones and how they form.  There is also a very cool bee hive at the visitor center - check it out!

We camped at site #5 this time - at the top of the hill because the sky was rather ominous.  We had a bit of daylight and decided NOT to set up because the sky looked looming.  We picked our site though and then hung out at a shelter near the yurts.  The shelter was fantastic!  It was dry and the kids could play games and we cooked dinner and the dog hung out while we waited for the thunderstorm to pass.  Afterwards, we trekked back across the park to the campground and pitched our tent and uncovered our firepit and had a campfire!

It poured - for hours - but our site stayed dry for the most part.  The tent pads at this campground are excellent and drain well - making that possible!  The fire flies were happy during one of the rain breaks - and the kids were happy in the tent with a light up balloon I found in our camping box!  (Hooray!!  Score one for the adults!) We had a great night sleep listening to the patter of rain on our tent and woke up to beautiful blue sky the next morning.

We went swimming down at the beach in the morning - $3 per person, but free for campers - just bring your pass!  There were beach volleyball courts - a kids water area and a free swimming water area open while we were there.  There was also a diving board off in some deep water - but that was not open this time.

We would definitely be back to this site - but I recommend stronger bug spray.  We all left with more bites that we usually do camping!

Side note:  There is an equestrian camp just outside the park gates - see pictures below!

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to review items.  I got to review Stream2Sea sunscreen while we were at Fairy Stone State Park.  https://stream2sea.com/ Stream2Sea is a mineral sunscreen that is reef safe and does not contain oxybenzone.  We have been using mineral sunscreen for several years and truly prefer it.  There is such a difference when you put it on your skin and you don't feel slimy!  On the other hand - if you use to much, you end up looking like a ghost, or slightly purple!

We used just a small amount and rubbed it in really well.  Even the bottle is ecofriendly - made from sugar cane instead of plastic!  We were big fans of the company - really supporting what they stand for and glad to help a company that is trying to help protect the environment.

After a couple hours of beach play - we had no burned faces and only exhausted children to pack into the car.  I am a big fan of the suncreen and love what the company stands for!

Ranger Review - Red Ledge Raincoat at Why Be Square?! Yurt

Campground Review:

Why Be Square?! Yurt is found in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, about 25 minutes from Floyd VA.  This yurt was simply spectacular in every way!  My family has never stayed at a yurt and I repeatedly told our children that this was NOT a normal yurt -this was a castle yurt and no other yurt that we ever stayed at would look like this yurt….yet I think they will simply be disappointed in any future yurt stay for their lives!

Why Be Square?! Yurt was down a long dirt road - as are so many magical spaces we find!  We were excited as soon as the pavement stopped and the dirt road started - leading to the green gate. We pulled past the green gate and noticed beautiful flowers and wild blueberries - which were delicious!  We pulled around the circle, passing the fenced in dog area (with a heated dog house - with dog beds!) and passed the yellow yurt parking in front of our turquoise/maroon yurt.  We were very excited by the homey feel from the driveway and eclectic artwork found outside!

Upon entering, we saw the full kitchen to the right, with a gas stove, sink and full sized fridge.  Condiments were left in the fridge, and cabinets (like sugar, tea, spices, etc.) and there was even an honor system beverage bar in the fridge!  Opposite the kitchen was a desk and coat rack and the first bedroom with bookshelves full of diverse books.  On this level was also the living room, the bathroom (with clawfoot tub) and the stackable washer/dryer.  We walked outside on the porch and it felt like we were in a tree house!  We could see nothing but leaves and tree trunks in all directions - such peaceful beauty!

We continued exploring by walking upstairs in the loft.  The loft consists of a futon (sleeps 2) and an extra extra large bean bag (happily slept 1 kid) and several keyboards and a rainstick.  The kiddos loved playing up here with the huge skylight above.  Walking down the stairs, we knew there was another floor to discover, so we walked down to the basement.  Walking down the stairs felt like entering a castle, with brick walls and a large closet.  There was a bed and desk with a beautiful tree house view from this level as well.  Walking out from the basement was the entrance to the "guest yurt" which had a large extra comfy bed, a dresser, closet, fireplace and the biggest sitting chair you have ever seen - at least 6 feet tall - that sat 2 or 3 adults with feet hardly touching the ottoman - felt like the magical chair from Alice and Wonderland!  We immediately all felt like kids sitting in this oversized chair and enjoyed the view from this yurt as well.

Our weather was less than great - but as soon as the electrical storm passed, our kids wanted to try the zipline.  So one kid would pull the zipline to the platform, where another kid would be waiting at the top on a chair.  That child would sit on the wood and hold on to the rope and zip away!  Hours of fun - one of our kids said they wanted to come back for their birthday!

We had the most delightful time at this yurt.  We agreed that we would need to stay here four nights and sleep in all four beds as each magical room presents a new perspective and such different feel.  We will surely be back - and we can easily see how this yurt stays booked!

Product Review:

As a ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products.  At Why Be Square!? Yurt, I was able to test my new Red Ledge women's free rein jacket https://www.redledge.com/.  I loved the feel of my waterproof jacket while having a long sleeve shirt on.  I liked the adjustable cuffs and hood options.  I was out at one point having completely zipped my jacket but not flapped the velcro and my shirt was damp when I came in.  Later, I completely zipped my jacket and used the velcro to my chin and my shirt stayed dry.  This jacket fits a bit longer than my old rain jacket and I was very pleased with the sizing.  This is an afforable, waterproof option that I am thankful to have!

Wet well maintained

This is a nice campground. It’s very well maintained. The staff is nice. It’s also close to shopping and restaurants

Great for Scout Troops

Two weeks ago, my Scout troop (Troop 2 out of High Point)  used campsite 3 in the group area.  It was perfect for us.  We've stayed at several others before as well.  While a student at Wake, I hiked the trails frequently.   So, I know the park pretty well.

The SP is in a great location, especially if you are in Central NC.  There is easy access, and good roads for a decent driver.  The roads are marked well.

The park is also close to a good canoe/kayak rental outfitter called The Dan River Company.   (If you want a craft beer after your trek, they have a small tavern there.)

The campsites in the group areas were good and clean.  There were picnic tables and fire rings.  Our site actually had 3 fire rings with benches and 4 picnic tables.   These are rustic, which is fine for me.  If you are looking for showers and gravel tent pads, don't stay there.   Frankly, I'd just as soon as camp on concrete as a gravel tent pad.  There is also a mowed field next to the group campsites to play in or just chill and watch the stars. Oh, and the ranger basically encouraged us to hike and roam the park at night.  I don't think I've ever had a ranger ask if I planned to drive around a park at night.

The trails to the top are made for hikers and people who walk.  You will not get up to either summit by driving or riding anything.  The trails aren't that tough, but are going to test you if you do not get out much.   I prefer the view from Moore's Knob.

Gorgeous open space, music venue, great views - tough road!

Jomeokee Campground is located in Pinnacle NC, near Pilot Mountain NC - and has a great view of Pilot Mountain from many of the campsites.  This campground is set back off the road, quite a ways, which makes it nice and quiet from road traffic, though you can hear trucks rumble in the night on 52.

The fields and the grassy areas are goregous - leaving the kids to run and explore and watch fireflies.  Yet many of the campsites are uneven and picnic tables are in need of repairs.  You can find a nice campsite (shown below) when you pull through the one way road which left us wondering about our alignment!

The campground owner was very friendly and kind - and the sunset was fantastic!  Hiking in Pilot Mountain State Park is just minutes away and the views from the top can't be beat!

This is a great state park for hiking, seeing waterfalls, and for views!

There are a lot of reasons to love Hanging Rock State Park. That’s why it is probably my favorite state park in North Carolina.  However, I am torn between giving it two stars and giving it five stars.  In general, I would give the park five stars, but for the camping facilities, I would rate it two stars.  There is so much to do without having to leave the state park.  First, let’s look at the park itself, and close to the end I will discuss the campground.

To get to the park, you drive through beautiful rolling hills. The park has a modern visitor center with a nature center and friendly rangers.  There are lots of trails to explore, but they are not just trails to nowhere.  There are five waterfalls to see, a climbing access area, Cook’s Wall, and much more.  Moore’s Wall Loop Trail is a 4.3 mile strenuous hike, and it begins by walking by the lake.  There is a platform about halfway through the hike in which you can see the skylines of Greensboro and Winston-Salem.  My favorite trail is the Hanging Rock Trail, which is listed as moderate.  Parts of it are moderate, very short stretches are easy, and much of it is strenuous.  The last part of the Hanging Rock Trail is the most difficult, but the view at the end is worth the hike because it is spectacular.  From the hanging rock (I should say rocks since there are more than one), you can see for many miles across several counties.  The shortest hike to see a waterfall is relatively easy and is only three-tenths of a mile one way.  The lake has a swimming beach with mountains in the background, and there are also rowboats and canoes for rent.  According to what I understand from their website, canoe rentals and concession stands at the lake are open weekends only in the spring and fall (10am - 5:30pm).   I was hoping to take my kayaks next time, but unfortunately, private boats are not allowed.  Two large picnic shelters are also close to the lake.

Here is why I would give it two stars.  The camping sites are shaded and spacious with picnic tables, lantern poles, and fire rings, but the bathroom facility is outdated (built in the 1960s).  Even though it has hot water, it is NOT handicap accessible, and the shower doors are narrow.  If you are not a skinny person, you might have trouble squeezing through the shower doors.  There are no electrical, water, or sewer hookups; however, there is access to water by way of frostproof hydrants. The campground hosts were very helpful and answered my questions.  You can also purchase bundles of firewood since taking your own firewood into the park is frowned upon.  If you are like me, however, and camp to experience the outdoors, you will not want to stay at your campsite very long.  There are just too many things to explore at this state park.  If you are going and want to truly experience the park, plan to camp at least three nights.  One day you can explore Upper Cascades falls and the hanging rock.  On another day, you can hike the Moore’s Wall trail and cool off in the lake.  On another day, see a couple more waterfalls or hike the Reuben Mountain Trail.

There is also a group camping area.  I took the Boy Scouts there once, so I decided to visit this time to see if it was still the same.  They have added bathrooms and more well-defined tent sites—quite an improvement since the last time.

Clean. Beautiful. Run by wonderful people. Would definitely recommend and will stay again

Glamping on the Blue Ridge Parkway!

Don's Cab-Inns Campground unique for several reasons. First, it is a private campground located in a public park - in this case, Explore Park in Roanoke, Virginia (milepost 115 on the Blue Ridge Parkway). Explore Park is run by Roanoke County, who partners with different vendors to create a full outdoor experience for folks who want to the gamut of outdoor adventures without having to drive all over the place. Within Explore Park, you can hike, mountain bike, take a trail ride on horseback, paddle the Roanoke River, go tubing, pitch a tent, embark on an aerial adventure course, and more.

Explore Park is, as far as I know, the only public park and campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway that isn't run by the National Park Service. There are many different camping options at Explore Park. At Don's Cab-Inns, you can stay in a standard RV site with electricity hook-ups, a tiny cabin that sleeps between 4 and 6 people, or a yurt, which has electricity and a bathroom.

Another private company, Blue Mountain Adventures, offers primitive tent camping, and glamping tents, which I'll also review.

I stopped at Explore Park and Don's Cab-Inns Campground while road tripping on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. The campground opened in the fall of 2018, and everything still feels brand new. Of the 18 or so sites available, I think half of them were full during my visit on a weekend in early May.

The little cabins include a full-size bed below and another in the loft, air conditioning, heat, electricity, a microwave, a small refrigerator, and a coffee pot. There is a fire pit, water spigot, and picnic table outside the cabin, as well as a lovely front porch to relax on.

You do have to bring your own bed linens or a sleeping bag with you. The brand new bathhouse includes private bathrooms with showers, and there is a small store on site for buying ice, firewood, and necessities like bug spray or soap.

Cost for the small cabins is $75 per night. The yurts, which have their own full bathroom are $100 per night.

My cabin was delightful. My bed was comfortable, and Don was a delightful host. He even showed me around the other sites so I could see what I was missing. This is definitely a five-star campground, and Roanoke is an awesome town to explore -- breweries, a walkable downtown, and great hiking and mountain biking.

Very affordable RV and tent camping

This campground is located right outside of Floyd, VA and just minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a beautiful venue with rolling grassy hills and acres of woods with hiking and mountain biking trails. They have full hookup RV sites along with dry ones and multiple tent camping options!They also have free wifi along with a brand new 9 hole disc golf course!

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sunshirt @ Pilot Mountain State Park

Campground Review:

Pilot Mountain campground is a smaller loop campground with 2 bathhouses (toilets and showers - with FREE hot water!).  Located not far from Winston Salem NC, Pilot Mountain has great hiking and beautiful views from the top.  We enjoy hiking, camping and enjoying the views, while others enjoy bouldering, rock climbing and mountain biking  - an outdoor adventure for all people!

We camped at site #5 this time - on the inside of the loop, though we usually prefer perimeter sites.  We were excited to get out there and hike in the morning before it was too hot.  This campground is sloped, with rolling hills, which makes for a nice loop to walk dogs etc.  Our tent pad was perfectly flat, and dry and we slept with no fly - which made for a gorgeous morning sunrise!

Our tent pad was also much lower than our campfire, which meant we could lay IN our sleeping bags and look out at the fire - which was awesome!  We did check out some other sites for next time - as we prefer flatter sites where we can walk more easily at night without tripping (so often) over rocks.   We also saw deer early in the morning!

We hiked to the top on the Grindstone Trail (about 2 miles) to the top and enjoyed an early morning view of the surrounding communities.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time.  Today I am reviewing Eclipse Sunshirts ( https://eclipseglove.com/collections/all-eclipse-sun-products).  I often dress my kids in long sleeve hiking shirts to protect their skin and was excited to try a unique sun shirt that I could wear - that wasn't skin tight!  I tested the Equinox hoodie and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  I was hesitant that their products were one size fits all - but we have a medium, large and an XL in our family and we all wore the shirt and one point or another and  LOVED it!  (See how it fits us all in the pictures below!)

The design is like a large sweatshirt - only their are holes under your arms and on your sides to allow circulation (and a little breeze!).  I especially liked the shirt when we were at the top of Pilot Mountain because there is limited shade, depending where you are standing.  I could see this shirt being useful on other hikes when we hike on balds and cross many peaks.

This shirt was especially beneficial in direct, HOT sun (and it was a 97 degree day - so perfect opportunity!).  In the shade, I prefered to take it off, to allow more breeze and have less fabric touching my skin.  Without a doubt, moving back into the sun, I was cooler WITH the shirt ON than with the shirt off.  I have since used the Equinox hoodie when gardening, walking the dog and even at my school's field day!  For sun protection that does not involve chemicals, I cannot recommend it enough.

Great Park

Every site is unique! 2 bath houses which were older but well kept. I wish they would have had one on each end. Placement was a bit weird. Don't worry if you forget a garbage bag, they have some available by the dumpster. There are a few sites with 2 tent pads and a couple sites that basically have their fire pits next to each other so if you are planning to camp with others those would be good sites. If not, you might want to call in. We camped at site 3 and LOVED it. Bit of a hike to the bathroom but not a big deal, i mean, you are probably headed here to hike anyways! You are going to love these unique sites.

Wow

First, campsites are the most unique I've ever seen. Feels like you're camping in the mountains. Trails are amazing and views are unreal. Two bathroom and shower locations are old but clean. Firewood is 6$ a bundle. Make sure you have cash cause that's all that works here. Great shade cover on most sites. Will come back for sure.

Clean campground

Great camp sites. Only one trail out of campsites. Others you have to drive to. Great hiking for all levels.

All time favorite

Fabulous campground. Sites right on the lake. Boating , hiking. Fishing and Friendly people

Everything you could want in a campground

NC campgrounds do it right! There are trash and recycling receptacles located every few campsites. Four dishwashing stations set up behind the restroom. This park has lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, a swimming lake, great fishing, newts to catch, places for kids to explore. We hammock camped and it was wonderful. Located in a beautiful area of NC with the cutest towns surrounding it. I'd love to go back.

Enjoyable tent camping and hiking

My husband and I just returned from a May visit to this campground. It is fairly small, 43 camp sites. No water and electric hookups which we sort of prefer as it seems to be less attractive to mega sized RVs with noisy generators. It was a ratio of about 75%/25% tents to smaller RVs when we were there. Camp site has raised level tent sites not concrete, but hard packed dirt. Also, picnic table and fire pit. The grill on the fire pit was adjustable for height to the coals which was kind of cool. Bath house was a little rustic but plenty of hot water. Firewood is available from the camp host for $6 a bundle. Cash only. If you’re not in good shape get a site above the bath house. Below the bath house involves a good little climb every time you have to go!

Best part of this campground is that it is right on the trail to the summit. The first trail is Grindstone Trail which is a 2 1/2 mile up and back. It’s a moderate trail with equivalent inclines, declines, and level switchbacks. I’m 63 and healthy and it was an appropriate challenge for me. To get to the summit it’s about a half mile of strenuous climb on the Ledge Springs Trail. That part is strenuous in my opinion.

You can also drive up to the summit where you get views of the Yadkin Valley and the knob of Pilot Mountain. It’s crowded up there but accessible for a wide range of people so that’s good. If you don’t prefer crowds go at the beginning or end of the season. Season runs May through October I believe.

Right on the river

This was the first campsite my wife and I stayed at together. We were still in college and decided to try camping for the first time. It was excellent. Being newbies we enjoyed the outlet access and WiFi. This campground is right on the new river and has great tubing kayaking and fishing accommodations.

Clean quiet and friendly

We took our puppy on his first camping trip here. Every camping spot had plenty of space. Our spot included a grill and campsite. There is also a camping manager type person who drives around and sells firewood and helps answer any questions. There are bathroom facilities located in the middle of the area. The camping spot is about a 15 minute walk to the lake or a very short drive. We will definitely be staying here again!

Flatfooting summer fun!

This campground is closed and has been since I’ve been in the area for overnight use. HOWEVER, over the summer, Sunday evenings it’s open due to an awesome bluegrass jam session! I learned how to flatfoot here, enjoyed a sweet tea while sitting in my camp chair, and much more! The trails are a little overgrown, but still a fun experience!