the dyrt
Proctor Lake, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Proctor Lake Camping Reviews
Traditional, friendly, relaxed, family-owned, repeater, camper-focused

My husband and I just purchased Smith Mountain Campground in December 2018. We are so happy to have found this gem as this has been our dream for many years. I grew up working in a campground; calling Bingo, lifeguarding, working at the concession stand. It was one of the best experiences of my teen years. The seasonals would invite us (bingo workers) over to their sites to sit by the fire and drink beer. Gosh, so many good memories!! That's what I want my new campground to be all about, GOOD MEMORIES for everyone that stays with us!! Please come visit!

Suitable for a weekend

Stayed here for 2 nights to be near our son at Virginia Tech plus we try to tour as many cavers as possible. Its an old campground but that's not always a bad thing. Could hear traffic because we were right under it. Toured Dixie Caverns. Unless you can climb 30 flights of stairs best not to go. Not that interesting. Like climbing a silo and climbing down the other side. But able to check off another one. Its an experience!

Quiet and Private

Another large but empty campground, with 73 campsites and two loops you have lots of spots to choose from. Every site is tent or trailer ready, with picnic tables, campfire ring, tent pads, and the ability to pitch two tents. However, there is no hookups or dumping station at this campground. They do have hot showers, sinks, drinking water, and flush toilets. The sites are not able to be reserved, so it is a first-come-first-serve basis.

The trails here are great, right in the middle of the campground you can hike basically straight up for a mile or so and reach the observation tower which overs amazing 360 degree views. Definitely a must see view.

nice little AT shelter

I stayed at this AT shelter when I was doing a section hike with some friends. It's not bad as far as shelters on the AT go. There is not a water source too close to the shelter. The closest one is about 3 miles North. The sites aren't bad though, pretty flat. There is also a wooden shelter maintained by the AT, but those aren't my favorite to sleep in. Seemed nice as far as they go though.

I was hiking a little section that includes Mcafee Knob, one of the most photographed spots on the AT. This spot is really awesome. It can also just be done as a day hike, so I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a 8ish mile hike. Another cool thing about this area is that there's some fairly nice bouldering to be found near the top. Some of the routes are a little under maintained and mossy, but there are some fun ones. Lugging a crash pad all the way to the top isn't the most fun, but worth it if you want to get some cool bouldering in.

Good times

Had a great time. Staff friendly, tubing fun.

Loved The Grounds!!

Ever wake up on a foggy Virginia morning and walk only a few feet fro your tent and watch the fog rise off the water? I DID and it was AMAZING!!

This place is pretty amazing, it is used for camping but also for day use depending on what area of the park you travel toward. There is a historic site with great information, a boat ramp and launch area which is spacious, playgrounds, horse stables, pavilion, canoe area and on site security to make sure your stay is safe and enjoyable.

Reservations are preferred however they do have same day availability some times. You do need to make sure you display your paperwork on your dash to confirm your parking in the lot before hiking into your site itself. If you don't like carrying your things in, this is not the camp for you! You will be required to carry your things into your site, however there is a nice paved walking area for you to do so.

My site was close to the main entrance, so no biggie!

This is pretty bare bones camping, no electrical, no RVs, no flush toilets. But there is drinking water available and also each site is equipped with the standard picnic table and fire ring.

There was a store on site but I never went in so I am not sure about what all they have, being kind of removed from town I just went ahead and brought my goods in.

While I was here I did see a lot of nature roaming and loved it!! They did let me know it gets pretty crazy during prime season and weekends can be a bit tough as well.

TIPS:

• Book online in advance!!
  • Bring your canoe, there is an island you can row across to and enjoy just a few hundred yards from camp. Well worth the exploration!!
Beautiful Area

I would highly recommend staying at the State Park! don’t go cheap and go with another campsite. that state park has amazing views, awesome trails, and places to rent kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards.

Something for Everyone

We take an annual summer trip here. The waterfall hikes, beach with concession area and nearby tubing down the Dan River make this a great campground to explore the beautiful NC mountains. The campsites and restrooms are well maintained and the camp hosts are knowledgeable and friendly.

Nice little campground

there's a lot of camper spaces… and about 6 or 7 tent sites. all have electric but not all have running water. pool is good sized cool little camper kitchen. excellent staff, very friendly and attentive to your needs and feedback… we will definitely go again!

Nicely kept RV spots. Conveniently located bath house. We got sites right next to our friends where we wanted to be. The lake and beach area were beautiful. Sand was soft and very clean. Free entrance to the beach while staying at the campground which is nice. We would definitely stay again if we were passing through.

Great first experience with a toddler

This was a close (1 hour drive) from Winston Salem and was the perfect first tent camping experience! Tons of beautiful trails, some with waterfalls, and a great beach! Camp site was mexcellent! Just enough privacy and clean bathrooms, plenty of water spickets! We will be back!

Quiet. Woodsy

This was the nicest KOA we stayed at this year

A little too close for my comfort.

Pulled in here an hour after closing and was a little spooked. Very small campground, maybe 50 sites in all. Even after calling to reserve, we were left to just choose a site and drop off the money. Sites were tight.

Very woodsy, great camping area lovely river,water cafa

Many trails to hike well maintained.great place for the 4th of july

Rate it 5 stars very well maintained, has perfect waters to swim, boat,fish

Perfect clean clear water to fish,swim

Primitive Tent Sites

Hammock camping allowed

prinitive campsites with fire rings

hike in required on the gorge trail

beautiful area.

First experience!

This was my first camping experience in a tent. My husband loves to camp so he found this place. The site was large enough for us. The bathhouse was clean, which was something I insisted on. There were several trails to hike. The view was gorgeous while we sat around the firepit and had smores. I would go again.

Wonderful ArmyCOE Campground

One of my all time favorite campgrounds. Stunning water front sites if you're lucky enough to be able to book one. Stayed on top of hill one year, moved to waterfront after they had a couple of cancellations/no-shows. Close to Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) and not far from Martinsville Va.

National Park Service Campground

Located on the BRP not far from where it intersects with US-58. Sites are primitive, very shady, and for the most part sites are pretty small. Very nice place if you're into dry camping, or car camping.

Easy access for the injured

Stayed here after visiting the Divine Llama Vineyard. Very convienient location. Unfortunatley I had an injured foot so I couldnt hike much but it was easy to drive up to see the overlook views of pilot mountain. I can’t wait to go back when I’m able to hike!

Lots of hiking trails!

Great campground for car camping with great views! There are over 20 miles of trails to hike that lead to waterfalls and beautiful mountain views. Swimming is also an option during the summer months. The bathhouse is closed during the winter months to avoid frozen pipes. There is a privey available just across the road from the bathhouse but you need to bring your own toilet paper.

Cozy campground, easy access, drive in, open area

This campground was a cozy drive-in but had few trees in summer which allowed for an exposed feeling. The campground itself was mediocre but the surrounding hikes and views were incredible. Amenities were great, but there was no challenge involved.

Well run and clean

Great campground for car/ family camping. Access to the hiking trails in Hanging Rock is great! Just be aware of the times the gates close because you can get locked out!

Laid back easy going.

Amazing bath houses with plenty of hot water.

They had a controlled burn during our stay and refused a full refund because it was very neat to watch and didn't bother us.

Ranger was very nice and helpful with firewood and directions.

We go at least once a year.

Kids bring your bikes!!

Great Camp ground

plenty of camping and space. nice trails and clean bathhouses.

Great place to camp with your four legged friend.

This KOA is located in the heart of Virginia's Blue Ridge close to Galax, home of the annual Fiddlers Convention. The site has several lots with private dog runs where your pooch can have space to stretch their legs while you enjoy the beauty of the facilities.

The pool is well maintained and is adjacent to a spring fed mining sluse where for a small fee you can pan for gold and other precious gems.The only down side is the steep access road to the back in campsites.

One of our most favorite

Perfect places for families. We loved all the ranger programs, especially finding all the fairy stones.

Kayaking was fun.

spacious

Spacious camp sites within walking distance to the lake which offers daily swimming for $5 a person. They also offer canoe rentals for $5/hr. Camp site restrooms offer free hot showers. The negatives are the camp sites are rocky and bathrooms are bug ridden, but hey you are camping in NC, so that should be expected. overall we enjoyed ourselves. we’ve camped here twice and we will return.

Great Commodities

This campground has bathrooms for males and females with running water, soap and sinks.

Both bathrooms surprisingly also have warm showers!!!

Praise the Lord! I was especially grateful because my back fell out while sitting in camp chairs around the camp fire with my fiancé and our bible study group. I had to hobble slowly with a hiking stick to reach it, but the warm water was a blessing to have to soothe my taut back muscles.

The incident happened on June 9th, 2018 a Saturday and my chiropractor would not be open until Monday.

Our campsite was acceptably flat enough under the tent and I was able to fall asleep eventually.

Nice simple campground

This is a decent campground in a great area for hiking and exploring. I will say the tent pads are hard packed so tough on the back unless you bring air mattress. Bathrooms are very clean and rangers patrol a lot to keep things in control although sometimes it feels as though they are 'watching you' a bit much. I've never had problems here with noise or crowds.