Yurts
About First Landing State Park

First Landing State park camping site type:

EW-20ft: Electric/water site for tents, pop-ups and RVs up to 20 feet long. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire-grill. Bathhouse with hot showers. 20-amp service.

EW-30ft: Electric/water site for tents, pop-ups, RVs up to 30 feet length. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire-grill. Bathhouse with hot showers. 20, 30 and 50-amp service.

EW-50ft: Electric/Water site for RVs only 32-50 feet in length. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire-grill. Bathhouse with hot showers. 20, 30 and 50-amp service.

Std-20ft: No electric/water on this site. Accommodates tents, pop-ups and RVs up to 20 feet in length. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire-grill. Bathhouse with hot showers.

Sites 44 - 65: Group Campground - No electric/water on these sites. Three-site minimum purchase required. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire-grill. Bathhouse with hot showers. Good for tents. Group camp area - site specific; maximum six people per site. A large shelter, which is available to only group campers, may be rented.

Each yurt has a large wooden deck, two picnic tables, a pedestal grill and a fire ring with cooking grate. Reservations are required. Parking for two vehicles is allowed for each yurt. Those with additional vehicles must pay the daily parking fee and park in available overflow spaces in the campground.

Price
$28.00 - $35.00
Hike In
First Landing State Park is located in Virginia
57 Reviews of First Landing State Park
Good beach walking

The reservation system for this campground was clunky. If you are familiar with the park and the sites, it might be fine but we were not, so we reserved a non-specific site. This was a mistake as most of these sites (and the only ones left when we arrived) backed right up against a busy road! We were able to switch to a site-specific site for a nominal upcharge. Our site was sandy (close to the beach so not a surprise) but not level, however, it was generous in size and fairly private. Sites vary significantly in size and quality so once again if you are not familiar with the campground, you will be at a disadvantage.

The bathrooms were mostly clean but dated. Hot water was spotty. Our biggest complaint is that our water hookup (site 174) was rusted and basically broken. Husband “MacGyvered” it to make it work but it needed maintenance (I did let the park know of this in their feedback form so hopefully it is no longer an issue).

We were there at the end of March so bugs were not an issue, although I have read that at other times of the year, they are!

There are multiple access points to the beach. It is nice for walking but there was a fair amount of litter. It is next to an active military base (Fort Story) but other than restricted access on the beach if you head east, this did not bother/affect us. It is close to Cape Henry Lighthouses (the old and new ones) at Fort Story (you need to surrender your license and your vehicle is subject to search in order to enter the grounds), but it was worth going.

Be active near Virginia Beach!

First landing State Park is a 2,888 acre park located on 1.8 miles of the shoreline of the Chesapeake Bay. We camped here in early May in our 34 ft Class A Rv. If you are familiar with us, you will know we love campgrounds where we park our RV and we can spend the next 10-14 days hiking 🥾, biking 🚴‍♀️ and paddling 🛶.

🛶You can easily launch your kayak from the campground area but realize you will be trudging through sand for about 200 yards. When the bay was rough, it was a challenging paddle… and worth the views.

🎣I paid for an out of state fishing license for 5 days and it was pretty expensive. I already keep GA and FL yearly fishing licenses…so I may have to rethink my fishing addiction as we travel more outside those states. There is a boat 🚤ramp near the Narrows beach which is either free or costs $4 for people staying at the Park. (We didn’t use it and the wording was contradictory in my research) so check with park on that item if you tow a motorized boat.

🥾20 miles of Trails!! Lots of trails to hike and mountain/hybrid bike. We were surprised at the quality and the number of trails available. We were never bored. Here is a link to the hikes

🚴It was also fun to road bike the 10 miles from the state park to the Virginia Beach Boardwalk but we advise you take cautions on the first 2 miles outside the park. We were NOT there “in season” but during certain times of year there is a trolley 🚃 that goes to the boardwalk, gift shop and lots of park activities during the season.

🚍⛺️This campground delivered! The 184 Campsites with variations of 20/30/50amp electric and water (some sites may be seasonal March-December) sites are mostly hard sand/grass based and not all are level. Due to foilage/branches —>many of the larger sites near the waterfront are narrowed (Our camping neighbor had branch clippers he let us borrow) Also, note is that there is a $5 per pet per night additional fee at the campsite

🏡they have lots of cabins. pets are allowed for a $10 fee per pet & per night in the 20 cabins but not in the 4 available yurts. (I know that seems high but many parks in other states do not allow pets at all in their cabins) Here is a link to a pdf about the park

We are excited to come to this park this upcoming April.

Happy Camping! Pamela and Keith

We had a wonderful time!

First Landing State Park is a great place, especially if you want beach access! We also have a large tipi tent (15’x15’), so we need a larger than normal space…and they have it! It’s also very nice to see pictures of the camping spots before you pick, ensuring that we get a spot that meets our desires.

Great family campsites

My extended family has been camping here for years. The facilities are great and there is easy access to the beach. Would definitely recommend to any family that wants to start camping or anyone who wants an easy camping experience.

State park within the city with easy access to the bay.

First Landing was great. There are several campsites that range from basic to rv. They even have yurts and cabins to stay in. Easy access to bathrooms, fresh water, and the boardwalk down to the Chesapeake bay. There are so many options for water activities, but since I went during October and it rained, I stuck to hiking the trails and walking the beach. The staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable. The campsite was great too even if a bit close to the main road.

The peaceful side of Virginia Beach

We used to be VA Beach Oceanfront partners, but now with three small kids that side of the city has become really hard for us. We tried first landing this year with the camper and LOVED it. We were booked for four night but were evacuated today because of the hurricane, spent three nights total and we already plan on booking at least a week next year. The beach is CALM and uncrowded. Tons of wildlife, lots of hiking opportunities, but when you decide you want to have someone else cook you a meal, the strip is a 10 min drive and many places offer free valet parking if you dine there.

There is laundry on site, lots of space between sites (massive tent sites, RV sites are all separated by trees and shrubbery) and a store with ample supplies. Bring newspaper for campfires, they sell wood but no newspapers.

Labor Day Weekend🏕

We had a really nice time!! Our site was small for five people and two dogs (site 87) but it worked just fine! EXCEPT for the number of mosquitoes this time of year. Omg I’ve been bit SO many times. Take your itch cream if going in the swamp season of August lol.

Only complaint: I’ve never camped on a holiday weekend before, and while I did anticipate a lot of people and families utilizing the facilities, I wish the staff had staffed accordingly. All three times I went to the restroom in the bathhouse, my stall had no toilet paper on either spool. The showers were filthy with blobs of hair and baby wipes and foul smells, and the garage cans were overflowing with rancid trashbags. The recycling bin was full of garbage, due to the dumpster being full. People were constantly driving the wrong way on one-way streets, not staying on the paths. Ideally there should have been more patrolling and more mindfulness towards the influx of waste/need for cleanings and restocking of common areas. But I get it; it was BUSY. P.S. the bathhouse venting are brutal - get a site away from those! While it’s convenient, when there are that many people, it’s rough.

I was so happy to see so many people utilizing our state parks! So many families (LARGE groups, too) were definitely taking advantage of the swimming and large sites. So wonderful to see.

We also took the short drive into VA Beach and walked the boardwalk. We hopped on at the Neptune Statue and walked a few blocks, heard some live music, got ice cream.

FL is a lovely state park and has a cool location. We will definitely be back, just not on such a busy weekend and during such mosquito-awful weather ☀️

LOCAL TIPS:

Dockside Seafood and Bubba’s Seafood are awesome. I’ve gotten fresh fish from both. Most recently we got a pound of shrimp and a pound of … I want to say mahi … but anyway, both from Bubba’s and very fresh. We cooked it all at the campsite with seasonal veggies and rice ✌🏼

If you like jalapeño poppers, you HAVE to go to Froggie’s while you’re in the area. Went with a large group and got to try many things, all were really good!

Girls trip!

No better park for a girl’s trip! We had SO MUCH room to ourselves and so much privacy. The private boardwalk to the beach and the beach itself was so quiet and isolated. Perfect for families, groups, or solo hikers alone. One of my girlfriends is a runner and she found the campground very relaxing to run a few miles through. Always a great time at FL!

P.S. bring bug spray!!!

Beautiful but noisy

The tent sites at this campground were gorgeous. Deep and private-feeling and well shaded. But so close to the road. I saw the map that clearly indicates Shore Drive running alongside the campground and I thought, “It can’t be that close!” But it is. Four lanes of 55mph traffic running within 25 yards of all the tent sites on the south side of the campground. We had such a fun time, despite the noise and lack of sleep, that we will almost certainly go back, but will definitely book one of the interior loop sites or maybe even one of the 20’ camper sites instead. Additional points: multiple daily nature programs for all ages in summer, really helpful staff, but the “camp store” doesn’t sell camp supplies or groceries except ice and firewood.

BACK TO NATURE

I stayed in one of their cottages during October. The cottage is furnished, has a queen size bed and 2 sets of bunk beds; nice living room/dining room combo, full kitchen with dishes, pots, etc.; TV; fireplace; outside deck with grill; and screen porch. There is also a firepit for enjoying the relaxing fire and evening quiet. You have to bring your own firewood. There is a grocery store about 6 minutes away for convenience. Trails, access to the Chesapeake Bay, Spanish moss. manned Visitor Center, privacy and security.

1st Landing has