Hampton, VIRGINIA

Most Recent Hampton Camping Reviews
We had a wonderful time!

First Landing State Park is a great place, especially if you want beach access! We also have a large tipi tent (15’x15’), so we need a larger than normal space…and they have it! It’s also very nice to see pictures of the camping spots before you pick, ensuring that we get a spot that meets our desires.

Closed

Closed for at least past 10 years

Great family campsites

My extended family has been camping here for years. The facilities are great and there is easy access to the beach. Would definitely recommend to any family that wants to start camping or anyone who wants an easy camping experience.

Great Location

Went for a Halloween weekend, big campground, lots of spots, some of which are a little too close together. Zero shade, make sure you have your awning and/or extra tents. Nice facilities, nice size beach, golf cart rental, has a restaurant as well but did not eat there to judge it. Has awesome hammocks that look over the beach, nice place to relax.

Clean Family park

Very nice and quiet rv park with plenty to do. Rented a cabin. Very lovely and very modern cabin that’s sure to not disappoint. There house cleaning crew does a great job in timely manner which allows for early check in a lot of times. Spacious cabins as well

Nice and relaxing

Best campground in the Va Beach area. 1 mile roughly to the ocean front but they have there own beach parking lot and provide you with a parking pass for use. Nice cozy stores. Several pools to choose from so you don’t have to be packed in at one main pool with all the campground guests. Wooded with nice sized sites and plenty of wildlife. Have stayed 4 times and plan to have many more stays in the future

State park within the city with easy access to the bay.

First Landing was great. There are several campsites that range from basic to rv. They even have yurts and cabins to stay in. Easy access to bathrooms, fresh water, and the boardwalk down to the Chesapeake bay. There are so many options for water activities, but since I went during October and it rained, I stuck to hiking the trails and walking the beach. The staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable. The campsite was great too even if a bit close to the main road.

Weekend trip

Stopped in for a quick weekend trip to Williamsburg. The ONLY complaint I can think of is the water hose at the dump station was cut off, so I couldn’t run my in take sprinkler to clean the tank out often using the dump station.

Other than that this place was great! Concrete pads on all of the sites, you weren’t camping on top of other campers, hiking trails, and full hookups including cable! You can’t beat it for the price!

Beware of ticks in the summer

We were pleasantly surprised how nice this campground is. It's nice and wooded and very pretty! We had to get an electric site even though we are tent campers but there weren't too many RV's around. But I have to say this campground is literally crawling with ticks. They were everywhere, all over the tent, chairs, and all our other equipment. I've never seen so many in my life. So be prepared!

Great hiking here! And a fabulous playground for the kids!

Ok campground, but lots to do!

The campground at Northwest River Park is small and pretty basic. For a tent camper that is used to wooded, private sites these leave much to be desired. There is not much privacy. The campground was full the night we stayed there and very busy and noisy through the night. We stayed on a Memorial Day weekend though so maybe it is not typically like that. All night our young children were woken up by the noise from the nearby RV's AC units.

What this park lacks in it's campground, it makes up for in it's recreational activities! There is a putt-putt course! Canoeing! Tons of hiking trails! Multiple playgrounds! Lots of wide open space for kids to run and play! Fishing! This is an excellent park for kids and families to come for the day!

Overall not a horrible experience but this is the closest campground to our house and we have not felt the need to come back and stay overnight. Maybe would be better for camping mid-week when it's not so busy.

Early Fall Camping at Kiptopeake is awesome!

We love this campground and have been all months of the summer, but this was the first time camping here after Labor Day and I think it might be my most favorite time of all!

Kiptopeake is a very popular park for good reason and therefore the campground and beaches are usually pretty crowded. We came here the last weekend of September and it was awesome! There was a much chiller vibe, the beaches were not crowded at all! We watched a beautiful sunset on the beach with maybe 6 other people there.

We chose to reserve a non-specific tent site and when we got there late on a Friday night had most of the site in loop D to pick from, so we got a great one! Site D-13 was close to the bathrooms and amenities. Nighttime was nice and quiet!

The slightly cooler and less humid weather made tent camping much better than mid-summer sweatfest, but the water is still warm enough to swim. Highly recommend coming here in the Fall!

Love this campground!

Lots of things for kids to do! Pool, putt-putt, ice cream shop and so much more. The beach isn't great, you have to go out pretty far to really be in the water, but other then that it works great even has an outdoor shower right on the beach. They have fantastic bathhouses, they are each private. Nice large spots. Only negative is to watch out for snakes.

Very Nice

This is the first time we have camped at this Thousand Trails RV Resort and we were pleasantly surprised. Beautiful campground that is well maintained. This campground is very family oriented and offers an abundance of activities for children and adults alike. It is also pet friendly and offers a dog park for your furry friends. We will definitely be back!!

Great for kayaking and fishing

Definitely recommend following the river inland and kayaking through the marshland

Love!

Great amenities. We went in march during a hot weekend and were surprised how cool it was - a great breeze goes through the camp. Loved getting ice cream and playing in the splash pad and pool. Fun paths to hike and coffee in the morning with deer-friends around. Will return with some non-camping friends who will enjoy the cabins or yurts!

Great family campground

We stayed in Sycamore 09. The site was clean and level. No fire pit or grill, so plan ahead. We went the last weekend the pool was open, which wasn’t crowded at all. Casino night was a blast! Overall a family friendly place with plenty for the kids to do!

Great Campground

Great campground, 2 pools, boat launch, piers, slips. Live bands all season. Permanent and temp. sites. Reasonable rates.

November VAC 2017

New to this site! Had a great time staying here, very peaceful and quiet, stayed in a cabin for one full week, plenty of exploring to do with the dogs. Toured the mansion and also Bacon’s Castle which is not far away, and road on the Ferry visiting Williamsburg. Definitely a great place to camp and get away for awhile!

The peaceful side of Virginia Beach

We used to be VA Beach Oceanfront partners, but now with three small kids that side of the city has become really hard for us. We tried first landing this year with the camper and LOVED it. We were booked for four night but were evacuated today because of the hurricane, spent three nights total and we already plan on booking at least a week next year. The beach is CALM and uncrowded. Tons of wildlife, lots of hiking opportunities, but when you decide you want to have someone else cook you a meal, the strip is a 10 min drive and many places offer free valet parking if you dine there.

There is laundry on site, lots of space between sites (massive tent sites, RV sites are all separated by trees and shrubbery) and a store with ample supplies. Bring newspaper for campfires, they sell wood but no newspapers.

Labor Day Weekend🏕

We had a really nice time!! Our site was small for five people and two dogs (site 87) but it worked just fine! EXCEPT for the number of mosquitoes this time of year. Omg I’ve been bit SO many times. Take your itch cream if going in the swamp season of August lol.

Only complaint: I’ve never camped on a holiday weekend before, and while I did anticipate a lot of people and families utilizing the facilities, I wish the staff had staffed accordingly. All three times I went to the restroom in the bathhouse, my stall had no toilet paper on either spool. The showers were filthy with blobs of hair and baby wipes and foul smells, and the garage cans were overflowing with rancid trashbags. The recycling bin was full of garbage, due to the dumpster being full. People were constantly driving the wrong way on one-way streets, not staying on the paths. Ideally there should have been more patrolling and more mindfulness towards the influx of waste/need for cleanings and restocking of common areas. But I get it; it was BUSY. P.S. the bathhouse venting are brutal - get a site away from those! While it’s convenient, when there are that many people, it’s rough.

I was so happy to see so many people utilizing our state parks! So many families (LARGE groups, too) were definitely taking advantage of the swimming and large sites. So wonderful to see.

We also took the short drive into VA Beach and walked the boardwalk. We hopped on at the Neptune Statue and walked a few blocks, heard some live music, got ice cream.

FL is a lovely state park and has a cool location. We will definitely be back, just not on such a busy weekend and during such mosquito-awful weather ☀️

LOCAL TIPS:

Dockside Seafood and Bubba’s Seafood are awesome. I’ve gotten fresh fish from both. Most recently we got a pound of shrimp and a pound of … I want to say mahi … but anyway, both from Bubba’s and very fresh. We cooked it all at the campsite with seasonal veggies and rice ✌🏼

If you like jalapeño poppers, you HAVE to go to Froggie’s while you’re in the area. Went with a large group and got to try many things, all were really good!

Awesome place for the kids

Great beach and fishing pier! Camp sites are spaced well, about 30 feet for each. They have a mix of pick your own spot and reserved spots. Full hookup for the pick your own site.

Amazing

This place is amazing so much to do. Their are activities going on all the time during peak times and the weekends. Staff is very friendly and worked with us.

Outstanding

A well run park with lots to do good for families and seniors

Not bad

Campsites are nice but be careful the wooden borders is included in dimensions. Nice bathrooms with hot showers. Over 5 miles of easy hiking good for everyone. Gas station right outside visitor center entrance in case you forget anything. Not very many people here so its nice and quiet.

Beautiful! Will be back

Clean, friendly, spacious! We will be back! We are here for Labor Day weekend and thought it would be insane but it's amazing . There is a ton to do with activities, the pool and even outdoor movies! It's quiet at night and everyone is happy and friendly!

Great place to go with kids

Great park with SO much to do. The hike down to the river isn’t bad, my 2 year old did it. The River bank is known for a great place to find shark teeth and fossils. Though, there was also a decent amount of trash. There are several play grounds, tours of the mansions, swimming pool, and a tractor museum. So much fun!

Great place to go with kids

Love it! Secluded and quite a bit to do

We ended up staying here because everything else was booked and we needed a place to stay for the kiddos soccer tournament. The sites are close but not on top of each other. We have an RV but there are cabins and tent sites. There are paved and dirt roads/trails, a pond, shower areas and is right on the water. They also have a light game by the showers that the kids loved. We’ll be back!

wow

This place was really unlike any campground I've been to. I've hit some pretty remote places, but this one was different because it was on the beach but still out in the middle of nowhere. I think we went about 7 miles before we got to our campsite, and I think the closest sites from the parking area were 5 or 6. Really there wasn't hardly anyone else out there, so it felt like we had our own private beach. We hiked out to our spot, but we saw some people biking into theirs.

There was a little gift shop when you first came in, so if you really need something you can hike back out to get it. Not too much else out here though besides hiking trials and the ocean.

The most stunning part was definitely the sunsets. No two looked the same, and I attached a bunch of pictures here to show ya. Nothing better than a beach sunset. Plus there are a ton of different types of birds out there if you like wildlife. Also, the saltwater fishing in the area was great. My cousin even caught a few baby sharks.

This was a great way to get away from civilization for a bit and enjoy the beach. Definitely better than going to a touristy beach town. Would really recommend this spot!

Girls trip!

No better park for a girl’s trip! We had SO MUCH room to ourselves and so much privacy. The private boardwalk to the beach and the beach itself was so quiet and isolated. Perfect for families, groups, or solo hikers alone. One of my girlfriends is a runner and she found the campground very relaxing to run a few miles through. Always a great time at FL!

P.S. bring bug spray!!!