the dyrt
No WiFi
Pocahontas State Park is located in Virginia
30 Reviews of Pocahontas State Park
Last stop before Massachusetts

Beautiful and clean state park! Firewood was on the honor system, so always be honest! Located close to the beautiful town of Chesterfield, which had a huge grocery store, which allowed us to pick up some fresh items for the fire. Already plan on revisiting this park some day.

A Lot of Bang For Your Buck

When I was passing though Richmond I found Pocahontas State Park and decided I liked it so much I had to find out a bit more. There were so many things to do at this park and while there were only around 5 miles of dedicated hiking trails there were nearly 50 miles of bike trails, swimming and paddling on the water, horseback rides and monthly programs.

While I was here I checked out some hiking trails and also the camping which was $35 for a site which included water and electricity in addition to the standard picnic table and fire ring. Sites were nice and wide all built to accommodate tents or RVs.

There are two loops for camping. I stayed in the first loop in site 59 which was pretty close to the bathrooms but still fully secluded by the tall trees around me. I found this site to be absolutely perfect for my needs and I was able to set up right off the pull in on a nice flat section of ground. I was shaded from the harsh sun of midday by the trees around me but it did make it a bit less bright for waking up the next morning.

Another nice feature of my campsite was it was close to the firewood station and the camp host. I enjoyed socializing with the host and them telling me a bit more about the things to do in the area as well as at other state parks for which they had worked. Such a great host!!

TIPS:

• Check in at this campground is not until 4 p.m. so if you arrive before this you are not guaranteed to be able to get your site.

• Enjoy free boat launch or swimming here if you are camping. If you are not there is a day use fee for using this amenities at the park.

cool places close to Richmond

Pocahontas State Park is a pretty nice place. My family always used to go here whenever we needed to stay near Richmond, because its only about a 20 minute drive.

The campground has a lot of amenities, including a few lakes where you can fish, a nice pool with water slides, lots of trails, picnic tables, and some nice camp sites. There's also cabins available to rent out if you don't feel like roughing it.

Richmond is an awesome place to explore too. If you've never been, I definitely recommend it. For those of you who are rock climbers, Manchester Wall is an awesome place to check out. It's an old train bridge support wall that has been converted into a bunch of cool climbing routes. Great for beginner climbers too. There's also the river right nearby, which is great for floating and mountain biking trails too.

Cool campground in a great area!

Family camping, very wooded and pretty.

This is the largest state campground in VA. It is very pretty and clean. Nice facilities modern but not new, clean. Lots of tents and good level tent areas at each camp site. You have a little bit of room and the sites are tucked back in the trees. It was a quite night, I slept right through. North Star Truck Camper GMC 2500HD. One more in my quest for 1state park in every state, 4/50!

Lots to do and hiking. Water park area is great.

Great place to hike, ride bikes, walk dogs.!water park looks awesome but didn’t go because I couldn’t leave my dog.

Great place for Mountain Bikers

Close to Richmond. Nice clean facilities and shaded campsites.

Tons to do

Lots of trails, nature center, pool, and creek for kayaking and fishing. You can also rent water equipment while you’re there. Very good for beginners.

Very nice state park

Water/electric sites, dump station, small camp store. Nice size sites, walking trails, pool with water slides & water play ground. Lake with paddle boat & canoe rentals. Very reasonably priced.

great park to hike in

Pocahontas state park is great so far. Hike complete! Fire complete and set up done. Time for shower and bed.

One of my favorite

Thesites are spacious and shaded. Great pool and canoe trails.