Yorktown, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Yorktown Camping Reviews
Good Military Only Campground

Clean and spacious…quiet until reveille.

The kids will love it

Great camping resort. There is a ton of stuff to here. From miniature golfing to fishing, swimming in one of their 5 pools to paddle boating. A lot to do. It does tend to get crowded. Especially around a holiday. They have a tram that runs constantly that will drop you off at all the hot spots and a bus on site that will take you to the grocery store/ liquor store that is a few miles away for no extra charge. The bus will even take you to Cape Charles and pick you up. It’s good to become friends with the driver. We look forward to going back in October when it’s not as warm for their Halloween events.

Loop D

This campground is pretty nice, especially if you’re in an RV. No full hook ups, but there are many level spots and it makes it easy to go to the dump station that’s on site. There’s no swimming and the rental bikes are terrible, but the park itself is nice to walk and there are really lovely trails as well. The bathroom was horrendous and you cant use the potty unless you’re willing to straddle the toilet to shit the door. Nice camp store and the boat rentals are nice. It was sad to see no one picked up sites (many had trash left everywhere) and it was very frustrating to see people climbing all over the protected sites. Calling to let the rangers know did nothing. Overall nice, but extended stays may not be much fun for tweens/ teens.

Great for Memorial Day weekend

Your about a mile to the beach the rv sites look every well kept the primitive slot we’re nice a little small for what it is, but you just feel packed in which it’s no state park and I get that. The pool they have is super nice had fun the whole time.

Beautiful but noisy

The tent sites at this campground were gorgeous. Deep and private-feeling and well shaded. But so close to the road. I saw the map that clearly indicates Shore Drive running alongside the campground and I thought, “It can’t be that close!” But it is. Four lanes of 55mph traffic running within 25 yards of all the tent sites on the south side of the campground. We had such a fun time, despite the noise and lack of sleep, that we will almost certainly go back, but will definitely book one of the interior loop sites or maybe even one of the 20’ camper sites instead. Additional points: multiple daily nature programs for all ages in summer, really helpful staff, but the “camp store” doesn’t sell camp supplies or groceries except ice and firewood.

Good location with lots to do within an hour's drive

Usually when we go out with our trailer, the campground is basically the "destination." In this case, the campground was a place to park our "mobile motel room" so we could explore the area and do a day trip to the beach.

This was our first time staying where full hookups were standard, and we had a pull-through site on a level concrete pad. A picnic table was provided, and a metal "fire pit" will be delivered to your site if requested.

There was decent space between the sites, though of course not like what you find at a state park! But speaking of which, American Heritage RV Park is just 4 miles from York River State Park. After getting set up, we went there and we highly recommend it for nature lovers.

The campground is also close to Colonial Williamsburg, and a little over an hour away (depending on traffic) from Virginia Beach and First Landing State Park.

The bathrooms were clean, showers had hot water, and the campground was very quiet. A train comes through the area a couple of times a day (and night), but we didn't find that to be a problem.

It's close to I-64 (easy on/off) and easy to find, though the actual road INTO the campground is pretty narrow.

We chose to stay here instead of one of the campgrounds in VA Beach just because traffic in and around VA Beach is crazy. Seriously. I felt much better about just driving there with my car instead of towing the trailer through that mess.

We didn't check out the pool, but it seemed nice and we saw people swimming. Some folks we met said they'd been at the campground a week.

Be sure to ask about AARP, Good Sam, AAA, or other memberships you have because they'll give a 10% discount when you check in. We had good cell service on AT&T and Sprint networks.

While it was the most expensive place we've stayed so far, compared to an oceanfront motel room at VA Beach during peak season, it was a very good deal. We'll probably stay here again in the future.

More about this trip (and all we did in 2 days!!) is on my blog:

Best state park to camp

The rangers are amazing and it is very family friendly. Love going here very good prices and a nice little quiet beach to enjoy.

Enjoyable park

Well maintained, perfect for family and friends to vacation..

Great jump off spot

Stayed here overnight and spent my days at Sandbridge Beach and the Outer Banks. Friendly staff, and nice tent spots along the canal. Only downfall was the boat launch was next to my sight, and I was woken up at 6:30 every morning with guys launching their bass boats.

resort camping on the ocean/bay

This campground is a resort KOA - those are campgrounds with more amenities - and we found this to be true.  It's on a peninsula that has a National Wildlife area on the ocean side and campground on the bayside. With the campground on the bayside its so close to the oceanside that the beaches still have that ocean feel - you can hike on the shore for miles.  It has a great camp store (lots of items for sale) with a cafe/ice cream place.  And it has Jackspot - a restaurant right on the beach - very yummy.  This campground rented golf carts out of which I am not a fan - but realize with it being so large some people need a way to get around.  They are usually driven by kids or drunk adults and blaring radios - we found this to be true.  We stayed a week at this campground and found that the weekends are very loud as the partiers come out and during the week its quiet great place to camp.  But I will say that the campground is great at keeping the peace and keeps the quiet hrs.  It's close to Cape Charles that has a nice beach too and lots of great restaurants (brewery and a distillery!).  We wondered why this area wasn't built up more and really it's not allowed much with the National Wetlands being right there - which we enjoyed.

BACK TO NATURE

I stayed in one of their cottages during October. The cottage is furnished, has a queen size bed and 2 sets of bunk beds; nice living room/dining room combo, full kitchen with dishes, pots, etc.; TV; fireplace; outside deck with grill; and screen porch. There is also a firepit for enjoying the relaxing fire and evening quiet. You have to bring your own firewood. There is a grocery store about 6 minutes away for convenience. Trails, access to the Chesapeake Bay, Spanish moss. manned Visitor Center, privacy and security.

1st Landing has

Enjoyed this campground so much we came back again!

We made this our main destination during our family vacation last year and enjoyed it so much that we came back again this year. They did not disappoint and we had an equally fantastic stay. Not much has changed since our stay last year which is fine as we really enjoyed the resort like amenities for our vacation destination. We spend a lot more time on the boardwalk of Virginia Beach this year enjoying the music and taking in the sights. My kids love the pools and activities provided by the campground as well. The campground does offer rental bikes but we brought our own this year and rode the quick 3 miles to the boardwalk during the day. This is not your normal campground and has a resort feel for a decent price. We will be back again but might put a couple years between to mix things up for our next trips. We spent 11 days on the road for this trip coming from Chicago. We spent 5 days here as our main stay.

Fun weekend

We camped at the tent only loop(F3). The site was great. The walk to the beach was longer than I thought. The most northern access was closed.

I was a bit disappointed with the bathroom situation and the trash situation. The one shower/bathroom serviced 3 different loops. And they closed it for cleaning in the morning for about 30 min. Frustrating.
There was no trash can in the loops. It was located at the entrance to the park forcing us to either drive it up daily or keep on site till the end.

Otherwise I loved the fishing and crabbing. The north beach was beautiful and water warm. Although they don’t allow dogs on the north beach.

Overall I would still go again.

Great family getaway!

Cabins are awesome at this KOA. Clean full-service with all amenities. Even shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and handsoap are provided. Camp store with everything you might need at reasonable prices. Multiple pools, water slides, playground, and games for all ages.

Nice place

Stayed here a few nights for a local baseball tournament. Quiet and clean. Was too hot for any of the “normal” camping experiences. Very accommodating personnel.

Family friendly

Nice facility- but I have seen better “beach” access

Great place for enjoying the water!

This is a small family oriented campground close to Sandbridge beach. They are located on a small waterway that leads to Back Bay. Good fishing and wonderful area to kayak or paddle board. You can even bring a boat. The bathhouse is clean, climate controlled , and never too busy. There’s a game room for relaxing or playing air hockey, pool, and fussball. The owners have corn hole available as well. There’s a small swimming pool in case you want to take a dip although due to excessive rain the week before our trip it was closed for cleanup. There’s a basketball court and small playground. This is a low lying area and standing water at some sites after heavy rains can be an issue. There are a few cabins to rent, pop ups and a bunkhouse camper as well as full and water/elec. hookup RV sites, waterfront sites and tent sites. We’ve stayed here several times and the owners and employees are always very welcoming and accommodating. Pets are allowed on leash and our dogs love it!

Outstanding

Great place with a lot of fun & views

Excellent camping and beautiful beach!

Have you ever wanted to go to a beach where the water is calm, clear, warm and shallow? With hardly any people there? Kiptopeake is the beach for you! Located on the bay there aren't huge waves to worry about or big beach crowds. Kiptopeake is my favorite Virginia State Park campground, hands down.

Camping:

If you are a primitive tent camper like us, you'll want to get the site-specific sites. They are more secluded, bigger, and walkable to the beach. The sites in the site-specific loop are conveniently located to the bathrooms which have nice hot showers! Each site has a pretty standard picnic table and fire ring with enough room for two tents. Our site didn't have tons of room for two cars though, we had to squeeze in to our space awkwardly. We've been here in pretty much all months of the spring, summer and fall and have never had a problem with mosquitoes or biting flies.

To Do:

The beach at Kiptopeake is so beautiful! Most of the time we post up and spend all day there. I highly recommend watching the sunset from the beach. Check out the concrete fleet on a kayak. There's some great hiking, butterfly garden, bird watching. Virginia State Parks has some great programs for the kids as well! The town of Cape Charles nearby is very charming and worth a visit for cute shops and restaurants.

Highly recommend this park! It is a really special place you'll want to keep coming back to!

Beautiful campground with beach access .

This is an excellent campground with large tent sites that you feel almost as if your the only one camping even when the campground is full. There are multiple points of entry to a beautiful well cared for beach. The park offers a trolley ride for 4.50 a day to the main beach front in Virginia Beach. Camp store is well stocked and is run by an outstanding staff. FT Story is very close so you will hear the Star Spangled Banner at 8am every morning and occasionally you will here helicopters doing night exercises.

Anniversary Weekend

My husband and I were very pleased with this park. We got one of the campsites at the back (F1) much more secluded area then the sites at the front. The sites at the back were not right on top of each other which was perfect. Easy beach access and staff was friendly. Cape Charles is just a short drive North and is a cute little town to check out while you're there!

Pool and possibilities

Great pool and convenient to travel to several activities incl Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Va Beach and more.

Nice concrete pad sites with full hookup and shaded by tall pine trees (some not). Quiet and little traffic. Staff and store is nice.

And! Pretty good wifi internet. Usually its slow, but here it works!

Bath house is nice as well.

Nice, quiet, fun

We had a great time last weekend. The pool and splashpad are fun, the pad is slippery and a little dangerous though. The petting zoo activity was nice and my boys enjoyed it. I wish there were a few more activities. The park is large and lots of spots were open. Overall, we had a nice time and I'd recommend this campground.

Underutilized

This was a very nice, quiet campground with very clean bathrooms. There was a wide choice of shaded spots or fully in the sun. The staff was super friendly and so were or neighbors. This RV park has so much going for it, in surprised it wasn't busier!

Camping close to the beach

The sites were large enough and many were tucked under the canopies, allowing for some sun and rain protection. This helped give a little privacy. The sites were close to the beach, which was great. The bathhouse was above average in space, cleanliness, privacy, and light/noise minimization. There was a camp store with necessities as well as trinkets. What I didn't like was proximity to the military base which had traffic and some very bright security lights. Our site was just a few feet away which surprised me. There were loud low helicopter flights over us one night that didn't end until late at night.

The park is great for a walk, bike ride, or swim. I would definitely go here because there are more than just trails but maybe only for a day trip.

Nice place to go

Went here as a kid had a lot of fun here highly recommend it.

Family Fun

Lots to do for kids of all ages yet parents can relax also! Looking forward to going back this summer to see the updates from last summer.

Great Weekend!

Our campsite looked super small at first, but then we moved the picnic table a bit to the side, and it was big enough for my 10 person tent. (Site 54)

Other than that, the water supply was right there on our site, and we had a lot of people come over to use it, but it was super convenient or us anyway. We left our tent alone ALL the time and nothing at all went wrong! I would definitely go here again, and plan on it next year for sure!

Belle Isle

No great photos to represent how pretty this State Park is. I used to camp here often with my family between 2010-2012. The campsites are nice and remote. The facilities, roads, and shelters are well maintained. There is an awesome little store to buy supplies, bait, and rent kayaks. Belle Isle also has a cute little beach touching the Chesapeake. You can walk pretty far out and enjoy the warm water!

A lot of pros and a few cons

My family of six stayed at Cherrystone this past weekend. It was our first family camping trip so a lot of extra care went into selecting a campground. I read a ton of reviews both on here and other places. They didn’t quite answer all of my questions so here comes the review that I wish I had found.

First, how you will feel about Cherrystone is going to depend on what type of camp experience you are looking for. My wife and I prefer quiet places with a lot of relaxation. My kids (ages 4 to 11) prefer lots of activities. My kids got more of what they wanted than my wife and I did. The activities and amenities were absolutely fantastic for my kids. They loved the pools, mini gold, jumping pillows, paddle boats and every other activity that they did. The campground has a safe feeling to it so we didn’t worry about giving the older ones more freedom to explore. They made friends and did whatever they wanted. They loved it. My wife and I had a good time as well but Cherrystone is a little noisier than would be ideal for us. Quiet hours don’t start until 11pm and quiet time isn’t really enforced by the employees. It wasn’t terrible but we would have preferred a little less noise. Some parts of the campground were louder than others. We were on a no hook-up tent site that seemed to be in the quieter part of the campground. Some of the RV sections had a lot of music playing and more of a party vibe.

The employees that we met were all very friendly and helpful. The bathhouses were well kept. This was a big concern for my wife and she was happy. if you knew my wife you would understand how huge that it. The tent sites were of a decent size. We had tow large tents, an EZ Up and the picnic table and didn’t feel cramped. You will be very close to your neighbors so don’t expect any seclusion. The prices in the camp store, snack shack and cafe were mostly fair and the quality of the food items was good. Pretty much every review mentions the sunsets and they are amazing. The natural beauty of Cherrystone is amazing.

Cherrystone offers a lot of value and if you are ok with a little noise and close neighbors you will not be disappointed. If you want more privacy you may want to look elsewhere. I’m pretty sure we will be back someday.