the dyrt
Yorktown, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Yorktown Camping Reviews
Great beachside camping!

We stayed here 3 nights during spring break (March). There is privacy and quiet beachside camping all over with tons of activities to see and do. We went to Nauticus, toured the Norfolk Naval base, visited Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown, hiked trails across from the campground and visited the lighthouse Cape Henry. Each site has a fire ring and picnic table. I didn’t use the bathhouses but I liked that they were nearby and provided recycling bins. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would return in warmer months and highly recommend our site near the Godspeed boardwalk, 188.

Quiet get away

Rainbow acres is a nice little campground that is the perfect get away. Its quiet and right on the Mattaponi River. I totally recommend if your looking for a little peace and quiet :)

Love this park. Some sites are trees some are not. Friendly camp host.

Fishing pier. Boat launch ,boat and kayak rental. The bay is beautiful here. Dog beach.

Nice views

Kayak trips available.

Lots to do!!

Great place!!! Spent a long weekend and enjoyed it!! The close proximity to Cape Charles made this place stand out for me!! But rest assured that if you don’t want to leave the campground there is no need too!!

Wholesome.!

I grew up going here, I am 30 now and can not wait to go again! The cherry stone clam bakes are awesome also! I have been at all diff seasons!

Friendly, helpful and beautiful.

We are enjoying our winterize trip now and have made reservations for 4 weeks next year already. April clam roast will kick off the 2019 season. Might be before that if I get to antsy with cabin fever.

Super clean! Great R&R!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the week I spent here. The campground is well-maintained. Everything I needed was here. The relaxing Hammocks and watching the sunset provided much-needed rest and relaxation.

Close to everything

Very nice, as all Virginia State Parks are, but crowded, noisy, and lit up like an amusement park. Not a place to “get back to nature” but a place to camp, meet new people, and a place to stay for the great activities the park has to offer and visit Cape Charles.

Great beach campground

Gotta not mind sand and bugs to camp here but the sound of the waves and the short walk to the beach make it all worth it. I love sleeping under the stars, listening to the water just over the sand dunes! It’s always clean and now they have a bus line that takes you to the Strip and you can ride it and the trolley all day long for $4.50. The bath houses are always clean and well maintained. Plenty of activities and a great camp store.

Overnight Stop

1 night stop while traveling the east coast. Friendly staff that provided lots of assistance when making reservation and giving directions to the campground. Large sites, shaded, and semi private (some trees between sites and sites not right on top of each other). Close to beach (dog friendly beach!) and lots of sightseeing and restaurants nearby. Bathhouse was clean and modern. Will visit again.

Beautiful Sand Dune RV Camping

Thick foliage provides privacy at this campsite. Parking is on sandy soil. Tall sand dunes provide nearby access to the beach. Air Force jets fly over loudly until 10pm. After that it is a quiet natural setting for the night.

Excellent Service from Staff

Clean and well kept campground but directly located next to busy train tracks. Loud train noise and ground shaking throughout the night.

Nice campground and beautiful beach!

We stayed at this State Park campground for 1 night. The tent sites are decent, shaded by pine trees and on a sandy terrain. There’s a water spigot but no electricity. The RV sites (where my friends stayed) are not very nice, the RVs are parked very close to each other and there’s no trees for shade or to hang an hammock. The bathouse is ok. It was warm when we went so they had the AC running. I've seen cleaner bathouses but it was overall fine. The park offers hiking and biking trails, but the main attraction is the beautiful beach on the Chesapeake Bay. You can rent a kayak or fish from the pier.

The best

This place has it all! Excellent sites, good access roads, plenty of bathrooms, beautifully tiled and modern, climate controlled environment in the bathrooms, nightly entertainment, shuttle stop right at the campground, excellent bike/hike path, wonderful gardens and artwork throughout the park, friendly staff for the most part. Just a great place to camp and enjoy and enjoy life!

Beachfront Camping

Clean sites. Family oriented..

No answer

Membership only campground. Didn’t answer when called at the gate. Missed opportunity.

Beautiful, friendly, laid back, SUNSETS!

Gorgeous waterfront sites on the Chesapeake Bay. Amenities include multiple pools, large fishing docks, beach area, large well-stocked campstore, restaurant, fresh produce stand, activities, great for kids and adults. Full hookups, plenty of firewood on site at a good price.

The park was well lit. The restrooms and showers were always clean.

You can take trolley to Virginia Beach. The pools were clean and lots for kids to do without leaving.

Family oriented

This is one of the best campgrounds we have stayed at. It is very family oriented with lots to do for all ages. The sites are spacious and always clean when we arrive. The new bath house is excellent. The views of the “Rivah” are phenomenal. The staf is wonderful and their nightly safety patrol is always present and keeping things under control. Definitely a safe place for all. One day we will be an annual there hurry up retirement.

Tent Camping Was SubPar

I wanted to get as close to the action as I could and this place offered a beach area that I thought would suffice, however it wasn't quite as exciting as I was hoping for so I did eventually buckle and take the shuttle to the more commercial beach, which was much better and much more of what I was expecting. This place is quiet in comparison but I wanted the beach feel of boardwalks and sun visors…lol

Campsites were ok. $21 for standard or $41 for water and electric in addition to a $5 per car entry fee I had to pay as a non Virginia resident. Things just continued to add up as I had to pay for the shuttle, and while it was reasonable you could tell this spot was in a commercial honey pot of money.

I was expecting from description my site to be on a sandy beach but they were not they were on dirt yes, but it was hard packed. I felt more forest than beach at the campsite and while it was nice and shaded it also lacked the beach appeal I was searching for.

They did have rentals of water crafts like canoes and other things at the marina, un-patroled beaches for swimming and a lot of hiking trails. With a mile and a half of beach, like I said it was nice.

TIPS:

• Take the WAVE bus, it does turn out to be less expensive than having to park at the beach itself with fare only about $4 per day. Parking down on the boardwalk area can be $20 per lot or $2 per hour at the meter with a 3 hour max.
  • Opt for a space in one of the cabins if you are traveling with a family. They pretty much include everything you could need and leave the outdoor heat of summer outdoors, making for a much more comfortable stay during muggy months.
So Hot

The campsites were ok. easy to get to. I wouldn’t recommend tent camping in the middle of summer - my husband and i both got sick. The beach was nice and quiet, and the water wasn’t too cold. overall, decent for the price.

Love it here!

Always love camping here. Try to get as close to the beach as possible, even tent camping. Bath houses are nice, they now have a shuttle that will take you to the strip in Virginia Beach, very inexpensively, great interpretive programs, and of course, the beach!

Beautiful, quiet, and right on the water

By far my favorite place I've ever camped! Just steps off the beach from our campsite. The campground itself was pretty quiet considering how many other people were there. Plus there is a ton to do right by the campground in Virginia Beach, if you get bored.

Whole family fun

It's nearby for Tidewater Virginia campers. Great swimming, fishing, boating and playground opportunities

Wonderful & on the Bay

This is a great campground right on The Back Bay. Concrete sites with full hookup. Nice pool & bath house. Owners very nice. Close to Virginia Beach & Sandbridge. Pet friendly.

Beach Paradise

Smaller campground with plenty of camping space. This hidden gem has lots to offer. Beach access, country store, water on 2 sides. Located on historic Fort Monroe, VA the fort has a lot to offer. No reason to leave but if you do there’s plenty in surrounding areas.

Amazing Site but SUPER MUTANT BUGS GALORE

Hello,

Wow is all I have to say about this camping trip. It was partially our own fault because we had to rush in and didn’t research local bug populations. But holy crap! We kayaked in a sunset which was gorgeous and their were six tent sites. 4 of which were close together and two new ones which were really nice. No one was there but us. You can boat or hike in. We did primitive tent camping and it was so beautiful with our own lake view and private site for the time being but the BUGS were from another planet. We had super mutant mosquitoes and horse flies. They were resisitant to citronella candles, essential oils, and bug spray with 40% deet. We only found relief in the water. They invaded our tent as well and spent an hour in the evenings killing them before bed but still woke up with welts. If we come back it will be in winter when there are NO BUGS!!!!!! (Hopefully)

Love the location

This camp is wonderful but the tent sites are too close to the road. I wish there was a thicker tree line. It didn’t really have the serene setting I was looking for and it’s almost always booked up! I suggest it to beach lovers and beginner hikers.

Easy living on the rivah

Catherine and Rebecca are the best. They were flexible with our dates for tent camping. They provided kayaks, canoes, sailboats, beach chairs, bikes and so much more. The bath houses were clean but the whole town uses well water, so that was special. Overall, a wonderful place to camp and explore the rappahannock river.