Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, VIRGINIA
Camping Virginia Cumberland Gap National Historic Park
Most Recent Cumberland Gap National Historic Park Camping Reviews
What’s not to like?

We have stopped here several times on our way to/from Ohio from the South.

As others have mentioned, all the sites have concrete pads (fairly level) with full hookups. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Nice view of lake and some shade trees. Perfect for our truck camper. All for a price of less than $30 (with senior discount).

We’ll certainly be back.

Great place for the family

Big ridge has everything you could ask for in a campground for the family

Narrow spots, little shade

Would be okay for a quick night stay, but nothing more.

Decent amenities, but narrow RV spaces

Pool, playground, grounds are nice and nicely shaded. The kids love the pool and even the 1 foot kiddie pool. Office is also a store with lots of necessities. Only negative comment is the long term side of the park and then that the RV spaces are narrow in between the trees and other spots. Spots have full hookups, or you can select the water/electric only.

Beautiful View!

We only stayed 2 nights, so my review is limited. The only downside is the horrifically unleveled sites. The bathrooms were clean, the view from our site was spectacular and the staff was very helpful. The sites were spacious and the access roads were very easy to maneuver.

Secluded and on the water

My wife and I were looking for somewhere close to Knoxville with some privacy on the water for a Sunday night camping spot. This TVA ground did not disappoint. We were the only two on the entire island camping and or fishing. There are obviously people out there Fri and Sat nights but if you want a private island camping experience with your campsite on waters edge, this spot is amazing. There is even another little tip of the island you can kayak, swim or even wade to depending on depth of the water. There are fire rings in multiple locations and plenty of places to tuck back in for some privacy if anyone else is camping out there. It would be a great place for Kayak or bank fishing as well. About a 45min to an hour drive from Knoxville. There are no restrooms and or amenities so plan accordingly. Roads to get back there are dirt and steep/rutted out slightly in some places. You don’t necessarily need 4 wheel drive or an off-road vehicle but if you are worried about your vehicle running up against branches then this place isn’t for you. We absolutely loved this spot and can’t wait to go back!

Nice campground with a great little hike

I stayed here in early March of 2018. The campground is so prone to flooding that they have the picnic tables on the lower loop chained down so they don't float away. The hike to Bee Rock is very enjoyable. Lots of small falls and cool views of the muddy river.

Camping

Had a great time at this park.

Sara’s ? birthday

Beautiful beautiful Cumberland

Best campground in the state

VERY CLEAN! Easy to get to. Bring your boat. Laurel is the clearest lake in the state. Extremely nice grounds and hosts.

Wonderful

Clean, great lake access and actiities. Close to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Solitude- Lake and Forest

I recently learned that TVA land is free to camp on, so I sought out some close to me and found Fork Bend. If you want to get away from people, this place is for you. Fork Bend is a heavily wooded forest surrounded by Norris Lake, which is known for being the best lake around the area.

You can camp anywhere you’d like, so we found a great spot right on the lake. Unfortunately there’s a lot of trash around, it’s truly a shame some people pollute something so beautiful.

You won’t find restrooms, hookups, picnic tables, or anything like that, this is just public land for recreation. Hunting is allowed also, so be aware of hunting season dates. The road through the land is gravel, but it’s fairly rutted out in spots, so I don’t think I’d take a car through there, you’d be safe to take a truck or Jeep or something similar.

We enjoy truly being away from it all in nature, and the amazing lake, so we will be using this spot on a regular basis!

Great Place to Experience Norris Lake

Short drive to marinas. Boat ramps on the grounds. Campsite has views of the lake. Plenty of hiking trails near the campground. Two of the bathrooms were really nice but unfortunately we were close to one that was not as nice. Neighbors were close but we had plenty of space. Definitely a great spot if you are planning on spending majority of your time on the lake!

Clean love the river views. Hosts are very helpful

Great getaway. You can fish off the banks of the Cumberland river or take a swim. Close to trails and a waterpark too. Love the peace and tranquility. We will be going back again.

It is a very quiet and peaceful camping. The campsite are beautiful and the

They have horse sites to bring your horses .and you can camp right with your bourses.They also have RV sites and tent camping. You can fish in the river and go tubing and Canoeing in the river. They even have Primitive camping. They are right on the river.  The owners are really nice. It’s a very peaceful campground where you can connect with your soul.

Great primitive campground

Great primitive campground that is expanding each time we visit. The quiet relaxing atmosphere of the river speaks to your soul. Peace and quiet with plenty of nature to explore

Beautiful and quiet

Everything about this campground is what everyone needs its beautiful and quiet and lots to do. The owner is polite and amazing to work with if you need anything she will try her best to get it or find resources for you. You can have fires down there and watch the water it's so amazing. I love going there and I know you would to. <3

Amazing place!!

Sanded, river front tent sites. The camp sites are also shaded, very comfortable even in July. Great place for canoe, kayak & swimming activities. Fishing, hiking and more. The Horseman’s Camp is also nice, miles of trails to be discovered just at the dead end of the road. The owners are friendly, accommodating. Local guy delivers firewood for a great price.

Nicest campground ever

This is one of the nicest campgrounds I have ever stayed at. It has fireplaces at many of the sites. The lake swimming area is fun, and the pool was great.

Peaceful

Morning in July. Definitely going to return next year.

Good place

Swimming, fishing, hiking, and mtb.

Great place to try and find

Don’t have a horse but everyone was friendly and we enjoyed our stay. Very quiet getaway

Good value, super friendly hosts

Not a fan of pay sites usually, but I wasn't planning on hanging out, so it didn't matter.

I got all checked in and paid for a load of firewood which they urged me to take more, which is always nice, so I had plenty for my stay. Electric and water on site was a nice surprise for the 25/night price tag, and the clean bathrooms and showers were an added bonus. Used this stay for my first time hammock camping, and honestly I was lucky to find trees suitable for it, but I did manage to get it hung and slept comfortably. This place is obviously popular with families and RV campers so expect to get past a crowd going in and out. Distance from Cumberland Falls and city amenities was a big help for me.

Nice enough

We stayed 2 nights here. There were several long term tenants. We had water, electric, sewer, and cable. Since we had sewer hook up I did not use their bathrooms. They had 2 bath houses. There was a pool and store on site. It’s easy enough to get to, it’s less a mile off 75. The sites were level, the park was clean, and the owners were nice.

Nice place.

Clean campground, friendly and helpful staff. The sites are a little close to each other. Go for the river view sites, you won’t be disappointed. Family atmosphere. Playground looked well kept. IWe had site #21. Kind of in the middle of Pigeon Forge and Knoxville. Woke up early enough to watch them release water from Douglas Dam.

Peaceful site on the river

Easy to get from Knoxville without going into the craziest part of traffic in Sevierville.  There are many RV sites and cabins along the bend of the Little Pidgeon River.  Fire rings all along the river with everyone out at night sitting along the river.  Had all the amenities you would want in a full service RV Park.

This is a nice campground

This is also a mixed review, it was a nice campground however the area around it is getting more and more populated. It’s right across the street from a helicopter ride and that’s a lot of whop whop whop noise. We looked around and chose a campsite at the very end number 50 and thought we had hit the jackpot. Right on the water and very private. However it turns out that the people from the hotel above the campground feel very free just to walk right down sit in your campsite, (while we were unhooking hoses and sewer hoses) and use it as their own private beach. One of the weirdest incidents we have ever had while camping. Two adult man and six children and one of them and asked me if I “own the spot “

Beautiful area

Camp ground was small, very close to camp grounds, can’t swim in the river, great for fishing, lots of activities for families. Has small store for ice and the basic essentials, there’s not a big store around if u forget something.

Great getaway

Pine Mountain State Resort Park offers some really cool trails and is Kentucky first state park. Pretty rustic and clean cabins. One really cool feature is Chained Rock which is a giant bolder that is tethered to the mountain to protect the small town below in case it falls.

a hidden gem, but avoid weekends

We stayed here in June 2019 for three days in our pop up at a site with electricity. No water is available. The campground is heavily wooded with space between sites. There are trails nearby, however several trails had bridges that were rotted away and not passable. There was a volunteer crew working on the main extensive trail to Stone Mountain while we were there which was wonderful! The bathroom had flush toilet and showers but did not seem as if it had been cleaned in several days. Campground host was very nice and drove around occasionally to check on us. We stayed Thursday through Sunday and I will say the first two nights were bliss - quiet and peaceful. A wonderful experience! We saw a deer walk right up to our campsite the first morning. However, Saturday night brought loud, disrespectful campers. We actually saw one camper trying to pull out one of the fixed grills in another site because their site did not have a grill. Rather than move sites, they practically destroyed the grill at another site. The campers next to us were carrying on a conversation and cussing every other word as loud as possible way after 10 pm. Sunday morning the bathroom was trashed … my husband said there was a dirty diaper laying in the bathroom floor next to the trash can. Why? People — don’t ruin things for the rest of us. Stay home if this is how you want to camp. This place would be awesome if people treated it as such! I camp for quiet and peace in nature. Unfortunately others camp to party and trash their surroundings.