Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, VIRGINIA

Camping Virginia Cumberland Gap National Historic Park
Most Recent Cumberland Gap National Historic Park Camping Reviews
Great State park

Great state park. Full hookups and close to I-75. Well kept with clean bath house. Paddle boats and walking trails.

I loved site 48 at Cliffy Campground. It was the most secluded spot we could find. Definitely book ahead of time if you can.

Nice little place

The campground is nice there are facilities there. A pool,  a lake, has a place to ride bicycles. There are some hiking trails. The park is clean , staff are friendly and helpful.

Beautiful place

The falls here are great ! The hiking is good, the only thing is the markers are a little confusing . When we went some of the trails where closed and it was unclear on the trail markers where to go. The facilities where good except the bathrooms where closed . The rest was clean and the staff was very knowledgeable.

Taken Back at first, but....

I was a little taken back when we first arrived at this campground because of how many people lived here long-term. There were clearly people who had been here for a very long time, even having pole barns put up over there rigs. I was slightly turned off by it because it felt like we were pulling in to a trailer park to camp (nothing wrong with trailer parks at all, just didn’t want to camp at one). We were only there for one night, but my views of the place quickly changed. Everyone here was so friendly and nice, and there is really good community here. The ground are decently taken care of aside from the long-term residents. The pool seems to be clean and the playground was fun for the little ones.

This campground is easy access from I-75.

Loud

Location is convenient but definitely more suited for campers than tents. Highway traffic noise (semis, engine braking) is LOUD…might be ok in a camper but not in a tent. Sites are small, close together and mostly gravel. Facilities are nice and clean.

Not sure we’ll come back

We were not very impressed with the campground. The water and electric hookups on some sites are very from from the pads. We had to park our trailer close to the hookups which means we are just barely off the road. The sites are very small and some of them are very unlevel. Unfortunately not sure we would come back.

Very clean and nice

The camp was very nice . The trails there are very well kept . The staff are friendly and informative.

Not bad

We stayed in the H area. All the areas before H appeared to have sewer hookup but we didn't. Simple playground nearby as well as a basketball court. Nets needed to be replaced but hey, it's not the YMCA. Bath houses close to us. Not super clean but not dirty. Spots were pull through so that was a plus. Pretty unlevel though. Bring lots of blocks. Burn ban in effect so no campfires but it was a good precaution to take for sure. Might visit there again but definitely want sewer hookup and will take more blocks.

This is how "luxury" is done

I was googling places to go on our RV trip and stumbled upon Anchor Down on the old Google. As I looked around, I struggled to find a legitimate bad review. The pictures all looked great, so we decided to book. We secured site 53 for two nights (it was all that was available).

Before arrival, I had called to change our site when I found our site open. The lady on the phone was super nice, and informative about the seasonal activities. The initial taste was good.

When we arrived, we were met by a greeter, who took down our plate number and sent us in to check in. The whole process took just a few minutes, and we were on our way. The view does not really come into play until you come up over the hill after registration. Even with the water level down, Douglas Lake is a site to see. We wound around and EASILY backed into our site. The sites are all pretty large (way bigger than our 30' rental), paved and flat. The hookups are right where they should be, and they even include cable and wifi. We did not use either, but it is a great added value for the price. The view alone was worth a million dollars. The fireplace was another.

We ordered several buckets of wood ($5 cash or $7.50 card…it is an outside vendor they buy from). They deliver it to your site within minutes in a bucket, and each bucket is more than a typical bundle. We also rented a golf cart for $35 a day. we found this to be essential to just get around for our family.

The pool was great, and the waterslide was perfect for the kids. Later in the week and weekends, they have a food truck outside the pool area. We got some ice cream and enjoyed the great view. The resort has a playground, laundry, showers etc. The bath and shower houses are immaculate. The entire place is run with pride and a sense of service. We will come back in a heartbeat.

While we loved our site, even if you are stuck with the very last site…take it. There is really no bad site in this place.

Disappointing

Camp sites were very small and situated on top of each other. Most campers are residents. Cabin camping also very close. Attendant gave us wrong directions to our site and we ended up on a very narrow dead end road.

Peaceful, dispersed campground

This was a great campground. Very secluded and peaceful. Alot to see and do nearby without the crowds you see elsewhere. Helpful staff was very attentive and always nearby. Bathrooms were very clean, and showers were clean and in individual rooms for great privacy. I just wish they had water hook-ups. Also know that if you plan on using a debit/credit card, you have to pay at the visitor center off site. This campground is first come, first serve. No reservations. However, if you go in the off season or on short notice, that can be a benefit. Only 2 rows of this campground are for RVs (paved parking and electric). The rest are for tents.

ALONE

If you like primitive camping out in the middle of nowhere with a view, this is a place for you!

Chuck Swan State Forest is just that , a Forest, nothing more. There are two camping areas that are FREE. Realize this is a sport hunting/fishing kind of place and forestry run area. Which means tree harvest and other conservation stuff is going on and of course there’s hunting seasons throughout the year.

BUT if you like the night sky and quiet, alone time , this place is perfect. Bring your bug spray, flashlight and TP.

Token Creepy Van

This was an overnight stay but wish I’d had more time to explore!

Norris Dam has two campgrounds in different sections. We stayed in the west campground which is a loop with playground and showerhouse in the middle. Nice showerhouse. Okay sized sites with full hookup. We were one of maybe 6 people in the whole campground so it was quiet. Then there was the creepy van down at the end that I avoided.

Hiking and mountain bike trails, plus a huge pool.

Town is close by with a few interesting places to eat.

Local Hangout

Big Ridge State Park has nothing within 30 minutes and we are talking some winding roads. Enjoyable drive in but bring your food.

The campground has two levels and three sections. There are two new, clean showerhouses and one old showerhouse.

At the front of the campground are ADA sites, the second section is closest to the lake, good for fishing. Then you drive/walk up the hill past the beach area to the top level which have several sites. There are stairs that connect back to the lower level.

There are water sports and hiking trails to enjoy and nice group areas for get togethers.

Good little spot

We have been here before . It is secluded enough and nice .

In the middle

This was a new camping area for us . The views are good the camping was not as great.

Great stopover

Friendly staff, immaculate facilities, easy access off of I-81. Can’t say enough about this place. Would’ve stayed longer if I’d known how nice it was.

Wonderful beautiful place

The park is wonderful with great view a truly nice place .

Great spot!

I thought this campground was very nice! The camp hosts were very friendly and the spots were nice and secluded. The campground had bathrooms and showers. Close to laurel lake and close to the marina. Corbin is nearby also, where the original KFC is by the way! Also check out Cumberland falls in the area!!

Beautiful place

This is a great place for the family. The hike have great views, the facilities are clean and well kept. The personal there is wonderful.

A great time, great view this a wonderful place.

We stayed on a three day two night trip. This is a wonderful park . The beauty is amazing , the sound of the quite along with the terrain is so peaceful.

Beautiful campground

This is a beautiful and quiet campground. Not all staff members are the friendliest. Staffing would be a 2 star. Pool is a 5 star. View when you can see it is a 5 star. Two negative issues and to my wife and I the one is a big negative. The campground is set up by money. And what I mean by that is, class A and larger get the water views. 5th wheel and travel trailers get the 2nd class view behind the big money class A. Your 3rd class would be the pop up campers and conversion campers. Sorry guys you are not allowed in the park. No camp fires allowed in the park. 🤬 We have been to a lot of parks and what is odd about this one is that no one will talk to you. You say hi or good morning and nothing in return. Felt strange.

If I could give more stars I would.

This place was exceptional, from the time we came in for the first night, the exceptionally great rate per night, to the amazing owners this campground has been the best place we have ever stayed. Joe and Mitzi make you feel at home. We also made some great friends, will be returning next year for the bluegrass festival. Also love the quiet kicked back vibe that this place offers.

Ranger Review : Morsel Sporks at Holston River Bank

My wife and I decided to do an overnight float trip on the Holston River with one of our good friends. The river was absolutely rolling with 2 generators running for the entire week so the islands we normally try to stay on were few and far between so we had to camp on the bank in our hammocks. This is an absolute blast of a trip and if you want world class small mouth fishing, look no further! Try to hit it when they are rolling 0 or 1 generators only and the fishing will blow your mind; you’re welcome!!!!! This trip can be done with tents just as easy if not easier than hammocks if you prefer to pack in your tent camping gear. We chose hammocks for space saving reasons only.

Product review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt we get to test out new products on occasion and because we were floating in our kayaks had to pack light including food and utensils. We packed our travel stove and 3 freeze dried dinners to cook Saturday evening. Morsel Spork and the Dyrt were kind enough to send us a Morsel Spork, 2 Morsel XL’s and a Morsel XL Spoon. We used the Morsel Sporks to eat and the spoon to cook/serve with. We typically camp on a weekly basis and one of the things we fight on a regular basis cooking freeze dried meals is the issue of stirring the meals and trying to eat out of the bags without getting food all over our hands. The regular size Morsel Spork is great for eating off of a plate as it’s light weight and has a built in spoon, fork and knife. However the Morsel XL’s are great for eating directly out of the bag as they are long enough to reach to the bottom of the bag to stir, serve or eat. The Morsel XL Spoon is perfect for stirring, serving or eating if you don’t need a fork or knife. The XL Spoon also has a spatula built in to help get the last bit of that delicious meal stuck to the bottom or the bag or pot/pan. These utensils are super lightweight, easy to clean and extremely handy for overnight camping, cooking and eating! Do yourselves a favor and go pick you up a set for your next adventure!

Hot

It’s a hot place with no electric hookups at $12 a night and $100 for a yearly pass and a proposed raise to $20 a night is a joke. Guess we won’t be camping there anymore,,, if we gonna pay that price I’ll go to where there is electric even if it’s a little more pricey

Beautiful, but busy with traffic noise

Extremely large campground, primitive and electric sites available. $14 for primitive and $20 for electric. Group sites also available for $35, require a reservation. Sites are fairly close together, so there isn't much privacy if you're looking for that. Full shower houses in B and C loop, water pressure leaves those with long and/or thick hair wanting more. Hosts on site, sometimes two sets of hosts. Rangers also patrol frequently throughout the day. Traffic noise can be heard from the nearby hughway. Lots of trails, Pinnacle Overlook is gorgeous. There's also cave tours for an extra fee, flip flop type shoes are not allowed, no children under five, and I believe no dogs either.

It’s okay...

Ripplin’ Waters Campground in Sevierville, TN is not all out spectacular, but it is clean and nice… The campsites are mostly pull-thru and you can choose between 30 or 50 AMP sites, but they’re all full hook-up. The people that work there are alright, but can be a bit rude sometimes… Except for the one time my family and I stayed and there was one employee that was very nice and would drive over in the golf cart and talk! The one very good positive too is, that same time, on Fourth of July 2017, the power went out at the campground (they had fixed quickly), well we were gone and you know how hot it is In Tennessee in July, they called us and said if we had a pet in our camper that we needed to get back. And we did - so we rushed back, and I was very glad they did that!!! Overall, a nice place to stay in the Great Smokies!

Great grounds, oddly felt like we were being watched the whole time.

Beautiful campground but very nitpicky on adding fees and you feel like they are always watching you. Nice pool, very hilly,, golf cart is a must. Nice place but could be ran better.

Most beautiful park!

Norris Dam State Park is my absolute favorite place to go camping! It is so beautiful and the views on the water are breathtaking! They do interactive classes and have a museum on site. This is the birthplace of the TVA and you can learn soooooo much!