Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Cumberland Gap National Historic Park Camping Reviews
Loved the State Park

Campground had everything you need but little more. Not a bad place to stay just didn't love being right along the powerline. We drove over to the West Campground and wished we had booked a spot there. Nothing wrong and completely adequate on the East but would highly recommend booking the West Campground if spots are open. You will be more in the timber and shaded by some canopy.

East Campground

I’ll start by saying the park is beautiful! Views of the lake and dam are breathtaking! Just don’t plan to swim, as there is no lake access point for swimming. You can rent kayaks, boats, paddleboards, etc at the marina, but if you were planning to bring a float and get in the lake, you’ll be disappointed. There’s lots of hiking trails, and the Clinch River Brewing Co is very close too. The east campground is pretty small, and sites are close together. The primitive sites looked better and the cabins looked great. The restrooms were very outdated, and barely any water pressure in the shower. We drove by the west campground and it looked nicer, if we return we will stay on that side.

It is on Cherokee Lake

The big plus is that it is right on Cherokee Lake which is beautiful. As for the sites there are some good ones and some not so good. Be prepared to level your rig because East TN have very little level ground. The facilities are so so… nothing special and not sure how clean they are kept. The closest grocery or place to eat is 8 miles and 12 miles away.

Beautiful awesome great campground

This is a gem one of the most beautiful quiet and peaceful place to camp and spend time in the campground is so clean and well maintained and the campground host are just great

Clean & peaceful

Very clean campground right on the river with a great view of Douglas Dam. Diverse population of bird species for birdwatchers. Very laid back attitude here. No parties or loud music. Only reason it didn't get 5 stars is there was a dead duck hanging from the power lines in front of our site. He was hooked to a fishing line. Kind of an eyesore.

Primitive Perfection!

Our new favorite campsite! There are no hookups, so if you bring a camper you’ll need a generator, but for tents, this space is primo! Nice communal fire pit area, lots of space and privacy depending on the spot you get, all are along a nice flowing creek. Perfect to relax and recharge. Close to some great breweries, hiking, paddling, great biking. All around a great place!

Hidden Gem

I hate to even review this due to how amazing this place was and my wife and I had the entire place to ourselves! All sites are right along the creek. Firepit provided and there is typically a portable restroom available. This weekend the restroom was being replaced so we got an even better deal. Owners are awesome and extremely helpful if needed. We will 100% be making this a regular spot for our new rooftop tent.

Super clean and well organized

We stayed here just one night but it was incredibly clean, well organized and easy every step of the way from our night time arrival to our departure. They have a boat ramp, playground, pool, arcade, fireplaces and more. We would return for a longer time in the summer.

Best Resort in the Us!

Splurge for once, well worth it. This resort has everything covered. Beautiful outdoor stone fire places at some sites. Beautiful views overlooking Douglas Lake.

Super Campground

This was the nicest, cleanest and newest camping resort I have ever seen. Beautiful views at a lake below the Smokey Mountains. Huge paved sites and stone fireplaces.

Fabulous Resort Camping!

Amazing lake views and very helpful staff.

ATV Riders Paradise

This place is surrounded by thousands of miles of riding trails, so bring your Side-by-side! New River runs through it also, so it’s perfect to fish, float or kayak. We were in a tent, but the have cabins also, not sure about rv sites. We stayed in August and they had a concert event going on and it was a blast!

Primitive Camping Close to the City

This small campground is a really beautiful meadow. I camped here with a friend over Labor Day weekend. It's very primitive but also very beautiful. Only a few miles from the city and a short bike ride on country roads or mountain bike trails!

Great front country campground.

The campground has 50 full-hookup sites. A pavilion, shower house. The Park has tennis courts, a swimming pool, 60 miles of trails and a boat ramp for Cherokee Lake.

Resort Campground

Beautiful campground on the lake. Sites are FHU level and wonderful. Bathhouse suites with great tile work are immaculate. Pool swim beach and many other amenities. Very quite with awesome sunrise and sunsets.

short drive to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.

Campground Has Potential

Let me start off by saying this campground is difficult at best to find any information about online. I tried to go to their website off several searches and nothing came up that was valid. I had been told about this site when passing through the area because of their water views and fair pricing. I was fortunate that the phone number on the site at least worked so I could find them. If you follow GPS, I wish you luck, if yours does what mine did it took me in circles and then kept saying rerouting. I opted to call the campground and their directions were so much more simplistic.

With all that being said, once I arrived the tent camping here was nice. My site was level and on one of the many roads of camping. I was no where near the water, but that was ok because my site seemed to be far enough away from louder traffic which was going in and out of the marina area so that made my stay a bit more pleasant.

I decided to talk a walk around camp and it seemed like there had been some upgrades around the campsite, still other areas looked like they still needed a bit of work. Specifically in the way of the long term campers area which looked a bit junky in some areas.

I noticed that some of the RV paths had long hoses reaching across to access water, I am not sure if that was because their water wasn't working or if there were not enough spigots available. It looked like there were many using piggy backs.

The playground looked fairly new, the restaurant which floats on the water smelled delicious from a distance and the restrooms were very clean.

The staff was so friendly on my stay, someone drove past on a golf cart to welcome me when I had settled in and we had a great chat to which they told me there is a continued effort to make improvements to better accommodate campers including a project to potentially widen the roads on the RV loops.

This place has some great potential but isn't quite there yet. I am interested in keeping up with this place to see how it changes over time.

TIPS:

• When you are in this area you are near 2 state parks which have a lot of hiking and water options as well. Both of these can be traveled to via boat from the marina.

• In Rocky Top there is a very interesting historical exhibit to visit about the miners and the war which took place with these miners.

Beautiful State Park With Dam Centrally Located

When I think of this State Park my thoughts go to the water and how many activities there are at the park relating to those. There is a lake, so naturally that means there is boating, jet skiing, canoeing and of course fishing. But what about those who aren't looking to do those things and want to tackle the park in a different way? What is there for them to do?

Well I am one of those people who enjoys the water, but truly likes to go to a place that has hiking and other activities for me to do as well. This place had so many things all in the peaceful setting of the lake. I enjoyed the museum on location the Lenior Cultural Center, which was a great way to see the past through the items which were commonly used in the area not only to establish them dam but also in the earlier days of the development of the area. It was really interesting to see some of the items. For those looking to do something a bit more hands on they also offer interpretive programs at this facility and ranger led programs.

Then there is the hiking, lots and lots of hiking!! I personally found this to be the best aspect of this park. Located just a short distance from the Smoky Mountains, a lot of times you don't think of hiking in this area because you are wanting to go to the "bigger better" trails in the National Park, but bypassing these trails is a huge disservice to yourself if you are in Tennessee. There are 16 trails overall at this park alone with difficulty and distance ranging. All the trails are natural surface trails and while many of them seemed very flat none were truly ADA accessible.

I stayed here at one of the two campgrounds, however they do also offer backcountry camping and cabin camping at this facility. My site was shaded and slightly off from the water on higher ground. it was flat and had hard packed dirt where my tent was set up. there was a lot of grass in the area around my campground. The site itself was pretty typical with a fire ring and concrete picnic table.

The only thing I found slightly off-putting about this camp was the mosquitoes, even late into the season they seemed to still be thriving. This made preparing food at night really a battle even with bug spray.

TIPS:

• If booking online (during busy months). there will be a $5 online service charge. Despite this fee this is the best way to ensure you have a site during busy weekends and holiday weekends when it tends to be very busy.
  • Bring bug spray and a candle for camp to keep the bugs away.
A great stop just outside the Smoky Mountains

When passing through this area going to the Smoky Mountains I made a pit stop in Clinton, TN, just a few short miles away from one of the entrances to Smoky Mountain National Park. Though not in the mountain they have a world of charm and activities in the community.

This stop, a little less crowded than some of the other stops along the way, the KOA here offers both primitive and improved camping options for tent campers along the outer borders of the main site. Improved sites have electricity and are nearby the main restroom and shower house. Primitive sites are the furthest away from restrooms but are in a treed area close to the main entrance.

Amenities include a seasonally open pool, exercise room, outdoor activities such as playgrounds, volleyball and horseshoes.

One of the things which made this KOA a bit different than other was that it offered long term stay in a special area of the camp. This keeps the typical long term look away from those who are passing through, creating more peace for those staying a lengthy amount of time from the in and out daily traffic.

For me as a tent camper, I really debated which would be a better fit considering I typically like to stay a bit closer to the restrooms but I also didn't see the point in having electricity if I didn't need it. Primitive sites were under $20 while electrical sites were nearly $30 so the question would come down to price and comfort, both were established on a grass pad site.

I opted for primitive and it was pretty pleasant, not a lot of campers were in the region and overall it was a great stop off.

While in the Clinton area you can check out many things within a short drive, perhaps one of the most interesting the Museum of Appalachia, a working village which takes you back in time to depict the way of life of the earlier people of the region. Here they have a living history museum, restaurant, tours and hands on exhibits to tell the story of a life where things were a bit more simplistic and hard work was a way of life. Great for all ages. Other popular stops are the Green AcDoo Cultural Center and the Little Ponderosa Zoo.

TIPS:

• If you are stopping by this location know in advance what you are interested in having as amenities. If this includes electricity or water for a tent, make a registration in advance especially on the weekends. This campground ends up with a lot of overflow from the National Park.

• Take the drive to Oak Ridge and check out the Manhattan Project museum. This one is one of those "top secret" cities you only hear about on the history channel, now open to tell its secrets.

pretty.

the place was beautiful but you could really tell the place had been through a drought not long ago. the staff was great and helpful and the views where amazing!

‘Lots to do AND has BREW!

Love this State Park. We have been there twice in the past six weeks. Great hiking trails, fishing, waster entry for SUP, and interesting museums. It even has an AMAZING local brewery close by called Clinch River Brewery!

Very nice campground, people are nice .

Sites are nice and well maintained just a little close for a state park.Bathhouses could use a little updating but clean.Weekends seem to be busy but during the week campground was very quiet.

Hikers Retreat

This camp site is great for hikers! We visited this site while participating in the Dirty Bird Dirt Circuit! We camped while running the race through the trails of the park. The campsite is small but close to all the trails.

The grove is a small friendly wooded campground with primative and rv spots

This campground is a favorite in my hometown. Very friendly camp hosts every year. Quaint camping areas private and semi private areas. Primitive camping if you like to really rough it with nice trails to each spot. The camp hosts comes by nightly to see if you need wood or ice. Very convenient if you dont want to leave your camping area. The marina is just a short distance from the campground if you bring your boat to enjoy Laurel lake. You can walk to the lake from the campground but its quite the hike downhill all the way so of course the hike back is a bit harder. You are close enough to hear the boats on the lake at the lower camp areas in the campground. Enjoy our trips every time we go.

Rustic

The campground is a little small and sites are oddly placed, but a great little hike to the falls makes a great day!!

Forested

Beautiful sites, near lake setting. Quiet and serene. Only difficulty is travel to store is quite a drive.

Friendly, next to a playground, near a rivers edge, quiet people.

Beautiful, quiet, friendly. Large grassy area, well maintained. Near a rivers edge, playground, walking track, dog park, soccer fields…all right on or beside grounds. Easy access, allows weekly, or monthly stays.

clean and super spacious sights

Lots of hiking trails, easy access to Cherokee lake. Playground is good for kids. Pool closes before Labor day

beautiful lake

Beautiful. Well maintained sites. Clean, updated, spacious bathhouse. Friendly staff! Nice beach, and pool! Just wish they sold propane. Otherwise it was a wonderful experience.

Great campground

The sites arnt very large so check the internet under TN State Parks for available sites. The Campground sits away from the pool and Cherokee Lake but a short drive to the boat ramp allowed for some fun fishing. Lots of hiking trails…but "easy" trail wasn't really easy..

Older, long term inhabitants

There is a code lock for the nice bathrooms, the other bathrooms are super gross. But toilet flushes, the shower is pretty gross. We arrived late in the evening and didn’t get the gate code for the nice bathrooms by the pool. In the daylight, it is a nice place. Super friendly staff ad the pool bathrooms were clean and newer. Most of the guests were long term homes. A few looked like they hadn’t moved in years.