Clifton, TENNESSEE

Most Recent Clifton Camping Reviews
Close to town.

Campground is very clean and showers are great. Paved pads, two separate campgrounds, one upper and one lower. Restaurant at the campground. Also located very close to restaurants in town. They do lock the campground up at 9:00 pm and it takes a your campground code. I would definitely recommend this campground.

Nice place

Nice campground with clean bathhouse. We arrived very late at night and the staff were very nice and helpful. The only bad thing about this place is all of the Geese at the swimming area.

One of my Favorites!

Love camping at Happy Hollow! It's small but great people and feel very safe!

Perfect campground for kayaking the Buffalo

First come first serve sites. Shaded campsites. Electrical available side has spots pretty close together so we always choose to primitive camp here. Water is available as well as clean bathhouses. Love the rental service. Very pretty spot for swimming. If you camp on the campsite on the same side of the road as the outfitter’s ofc, it can turn into a “party” crowd. The family friendly, quiet side is across the river.

Nice park, mehhh campground

I really like the tent area campground. Very accessible to the water & bridge. The horse trailer campground is nice and also close to the water. However, the RV campground is not close to the water and that was super disappointing. Lots of upgraded sites though and they are working on upgrading the bathrooms in the RV campground. The pads seemed level enough, but the sites were small and hilly. Ground also very soft and muddy, I guess from the recent construction. Very limited cell service in the park.

This campground is easily accessible. The bathhouse was a little ruff but with shower shoes, you will survive. Campsites are easy to get in and out of and the folks I meet including the park attendant were really good people.

I mean, if you like KOA...

And the sound of the interstate then this is for you. The best part about this place is it’s close to the log cabin restaurant. Try the pie!

Locked gate and no trespassing signs

A nice drive through the area: cool old abandoned houses and barns, deer and wild turkey, and a small creek to visit, but couldn’t access the campsite.

Vintage Galore

David Crockett State Park is located near Lawrenceburg, Tn off I64 or I43 depending on your direction of travel.

We visited in March for the Vintage Camper weekend and had an excellent time. The campground is sort of a double loop design , down hill, so makes for a good walk. Full hook up, cement pad, level sites and everyone would have shade if the leaves had come in, though that early in the season it wasn’t really needed. The sites are adequate but not overly roomy. You can fit yourself in, and an extra car. A small tent or hammock would fit too. The showerhouse was newer and well maintained, as well as the campground. The host was very helpful and knowledgeable.

The trail we took was a little rough , definitely technical but plenty of cool things to keep my granddaughter interested in the next turn. The lake will accommodate water sports of all sorts, we did not stop by though because the granddaughter would have ended up in the water ;)

Free Camping on TVA land

I assumed for a long time that you weren't allowed to camp on the TVA trails, because while there are many hikers and birdwatchers who enjoy the trails, you rarely see anyone camping out there. I learned recently, and confirmed through their website, that you can camp for free on TVA land. It just isn't well advertised. This particular trail is a great area, and there are many little side trails to explore. Plenty of places to make a primitive campsite. Many of the side trails lead to the river. There is even a small beach area down the one that leads along the river to the old train bridge. This trail is rich in history, and there are a lot of plaques telling about certain natural and man made features along the trails. The trails are clean, well-kept, and well-marked. At the trail head and parking area, there is a nice well-kept, clean restroom building with flush toilets. Behind that building, they recently put in a very nice playground and a pavilion with picnic tables. There are not really any ready made campsites with tables or firepits or trash cans, but there are plenty of benches and trash cans along the trails. I highly recommend going to the train bridge. There are also small plaques around some of the plants telling what they are and a little about them. If you want a beautiful, primitive camping area, with nice, fairly modern facilities nearby, this is a great place to go. Also, keep in mind there are several trail heads along this road, and you could potentially start out at any of them, but the particular trail head I mentioned has the best restroom facilities and a wonderful playground. Most of the others only have a parking area.

Repeat Camper!

Cub Lake Campground #1

I love this campground so much! It is very small and private. Only small campers and tent campers are allowed in this campground. I like the sites at the end of the loop because they are closer to the water, however, they are not as private. The sites offer 30amp elec and water hookup. The campground host is really nice and has wood on site for sale. The park store is close by for souvenirs and any other items you might need to purchase. The bathhouse is old, but super clean! We love the bridges that you can walk across to get to the cabins or to the swim beach area and kayak/paddle boat rentals.

Pretty, free campground on the water

I have camped here twice so far and it is a nice, basic campground. We tent camped but there were a couple of RV's there, so I know there are places for them. It is on a nice stretch of the Tennessee River, and you can swim, fish, and boat there. Plenty of camp sites and very spacious. Popular with the locals and fairly secluded. Pretty woodland all around. There is a bathhouse with toilets, sinks, and cold showers. The bathhouse is pretty centrally located and there are electric lights around it. Usually not crowded. Plenty of dead wood to collect for firewood. There is a covered area with picnic tables near the bathhouse. Also a few picnic tables around the grounds. There are also plenty of trash cans and fire pits. You can park right next to your site. Very good for family camping. Within a few miles there are a couple of gas stations/convenience stores. Some cell service works out there, some not so much.

Closed campground but nice to visit park

As far as I know the campground is closed, but its a pretty little park with a small playground, bathrooms, grills, and pavilions. Also has war aircraft displayed you can walk around and see and its free. So if you are in the area (possibly camping at McFarland Park) you can take the family and go see the war crafts. Picnic tables, areas to walk. Lots of woodland.

Good for Kids

This campground is in my hometown of Florence, AL. It is right on the Tennessee River and it is a very large park/ campground. There is a marina, RV and tent campsites, a playground near the campground, and on the other side of the marina is another playground. There is the River Bottom Grill at the Marina. There is also a small sandy beach between the marina and campground. Showers and toilets are available. This park is where our city holds its annual 4th of July celebration, so if you camp there during 4th of July expect literally hundreds and hundreds of people. Lots of boat traffic at the marina, but its pretty far from the campground. There are also lots of other events here year round, so check before you go to make sure you either won't be there during an event, or the huge crowds won't bother you. Lots of woodland. Within city limits. downtown Florence is about 5 mins from the campground. I don't know if that's good or bad for you, but this is not a campground for those looking to really get out away from everything. It's a great place to take small kids for a weekend campout. There are grills, picnic tables, bathrooms, and pavilions throughout the park. For being a city park, it is quite pretty and the views of the river are great. To get to the campground, when you go into the park, keep to the right of the marina, and drive all the way back and around to the right. You'll go past the parking area for the little beach, and there should be signs. You'll see a playground and pavilion to your left right on the water and that means you're entering the campground.

Basic campground

I have things I love and hate about this campground. Personally, I'd rather just hike into the woods throughout TVA reservation and camp for free, but this campground does have bathrooms and a good playground for the kids. There is also a pretty nice waterfall down a "road" (limited to foot traffic and officials). However, it is way too busy and "paved" for my liking. LOTS of visitors and fisherman down here most of the time. Lots of people leave trash/fishing line/etc. The campsites look out at the river but they just aren't very pretty. right beside the parking lot. You can see the dam from here. Much better in my opinion to go out on one of the nearby trails and camp off the trail. If you drive down reservation road, in the opposite direction of the dam, you will find several trailheads with parking areas. The pics I'm posting are from these trails in TVA reservation.

Super Quiet

Good bathhouse with flush toilets and cold water sink. No Shower. Great for tent camping.

Camping in the Heart of Tennessee Amish Country

On August 30, 2019, my wife and I camped at Blackberry Row Campground located on Shalom Farm near Ethridge, Tennessee. The private campground is right in the middle of Amish country, so on our drive in we were able to stop and enjoy the fields, windmills, animals, and horse and buggies of the Amish people. There are other campgrounds located near the Amish community in Ethridge but none quite as beautiful and centrally located as Blackberry Row.

The campground is simple. There’s a bathroom building with a composting toilet. At the time we camped, there was no running water in the bathroom building, but there was a spigot located near the campsites. This doubles as a water source for many of the farm animals that will join you on your camping trip at Blackberry Row. For instance when we got up in the morning, we were greeted by five beautiful hens and their ever watchful rooster. They enjoyed picking up the scraps from our S’mores the night before.

The campsite we stayed at was near the woods. It had a permanent structure built there that a tent or hammock camper could use during the rain. We parked next to it and used it as a porch for our chairs, cooking setup, and campfire.  It was nice sitting under it and enjoying coffee from our Banner and Oak Coffee Cups.

Some of the camping areas are not level, but there’s a large field that has plenty of level spots if that’s what you need. The campground is near a small paved country road but there’s very little traffic. The whole time we were there only two or three cars passed. We had full cell phone reception which was really nice.

This would be a perfect place for kids. I know my children would have loved visiting the many animals that call Shalom their home.

TIP: I would make sure to pick up all of your essentials before arriving to set up camp. This is a rural location and stores are a bit away. We brought our Mountain House Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast(yum) and a few snacks to get us through the night. We also had fun using our Grub Stick  to make S’mores over the fire.

TIP: By the way, don’t forget to bring some cash. The Amish make wonderful items for sale (Monday-Saturday, closed on Sundays), but as you might imagine, you can’t buy their fried pies or peanut brittle with a card. We took $25 in cash and ate like kings.

TIP: Please remember that the Amish do not like to be photographed.  If you stay at Blackberry Row you will be camping in the heart of their homeland.

This is a really nice campground

Tis is a really nice campground on the Tennessee river, which is great for boating and fishing also nice for camping

Ranger Review: Grub Stick Deluxe Kit at Chickasaw Rustic State Park

Campground Review:

On Friday, August 23, 2019 my son Charlie and I camped at Chickasaw State Park to celebrate his ninth birthday. We couldn’t have found a better park than this one. It reminds me of the classic summer camps I saw on television as a kid: beautiful lake, horses, stables, paddle boats and canoes, and even a well maintained swimming hole. They even have three birds of prey on display for visitors to enjoy. From our arrival to the moment we left, the rangers and staff made us feel welcomed and safe. Ranger Brittany helped me find the perfect site and even checked in later to make sure that we were completely satisfied with the spot. Who wouldn’t be? The campsite was located right on Lake Placid in the middle of almost 15,000 acres of state forest. Each campsite in the tent campground had a new picnic table, a fire ring, access to potable water, and a grill. Our campsite, number 109, was located right next to a large handicapped parking spot that is big enough for a very large handicapped van. The parking spot was constructed on level ground with concrete. Campsite 109 was far away from the bathroom, but the trail to it was beautiful and made even the most hasty trip pleasant walking. Campsite 109 also had easy access to the pier which spans the width of the lake. My son and I enjoyed walking out into the middle of the lake and seeing the expanse of the Milky Way(what a treat!). There’s great firewood for sale at the stables for$6.00 a box. This is the best campfire wood I’ve ever purchased. It burned slow and steady leaving us enough to pass on to one of our neighbors the next morning. I would suggest spending at least two nights here. We only spent one, and my son and I didn’t want to leave. There’s so much we didn’t get to see and do at this park. This place is a real gem. I’ll guarantee that you will feel like you’re back at summer camp. By the way, don’t forget to bring a good lantern or flashlight with you: you will need it since many of the trails to the bathroom and out to the pier are very dark at night. This just helps you to see the stars better.

………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test some of the latest and coolest camping products on the market. On my camping trip to Chickasaw, my son and I tried out the Grub Stick Deluxe Kit. What a fun way to cook over a campfire! In my kit I received two telescopic poles which have well made attachments such as the Grub Cage, Grub Fork, Burg Cage, and Grub Tube that attach to the end of the telescopic poles.

We used the Burg Cage for supper and it made awesome burgers. They had that perfect campfire flavor. My son enjoyed getting to cook his own food rather than waiting for dad to cook it on the grill. The handles are very comfortable to hold, and they were just the right size for my son’s smaller hands. The whole time he was using it, I kept hearing wows. It’s great when a company makes a camping product that engages children in cooking. The Grub Stick does just that.

The kit also came with special grips like the finger grabber and the hot pad to help open and close the cages and other attachments. You can really tell that the makers of the Grub Stick thought of everything when they were designing this.

One of the things that was really fun was the Grub Cage. It left me wondering,“where have you been all my life?” Instead of building the S’more AFTER roasting the marshmallow on a stick, you build it in the cage and toast the whole thing. I think this is the way the S’more was always meant to be. Everything, including the graham crackers, oozes with sugary, toasty goodness.

For breakfast, we used the Grub Tube and wrapped it with bacon and croissant rolls. It was as good as it sounds. As I was cooking, I kept thinking of other things that could be cooked over the fire using this kit. I’m excited to have it in my cooking kit now, and I see us using this quite often especially on those winter camping trips when we want to stay close to the fire.

Overall, this is a great product for engaging kids in camping. The Grub Stick will allow my kids to come up with their own recipes, put them together on their own, and then try them out on the fire. They love being a part of the cooking part of camping, and the Grub Stick is the perfect tool for this.

I did have an issue with one of the telescopic handles. After cooking three burgers, one of the telescopic handles broke. I contacted customer service, and they went above my expectations to not only replace it but to help me understand their product even more. Most people expect things to be returned with“no questions asked,” but this isn’t how Grub Stick operates. They asked for pictures and a description of the failure so they can make sure their product gets better and better. I wouldn’t hesitate at all to order more from this company. It’s great when people not only believe in their product but also stand by it and are always looking for ways to improve it. They sent a replacement immediately, and I can’t wait to get this back out in the field.

Nice, quiet, family oriented.

Quiet, near shopping, family oriented, Pet friendly, boat launch, shore fishing, store, pull through sites, friendly helpful staff, tent sites, great place to camp.

Quiet, family oriented, helpful staff, wonderful neighbors, & Pet friendly

If you are looking for a quiet, family oriented campground with boat ramp and is kid and Pet friendly you !ight just love Birdsong Resort and Marina Campground.

Closed permanently

Closed permanently

Great campground

Nice campsites with a creek and a small waterfall nearby

Friendly, comfy, easy

Such a great park. We showed up, swam in a beautiful and clean lake, and then cooked dinner and used the incredible bathroom facilities and did a campfire with incredible neighbors. Woke up and used the great shower facilities and hit the road. Will definitely be back again

Very Handicap Accessible

We stayed here with our son who is in a wheelchair. Pin Oak had 2 sites that were very accommodating and close to the bath house with a Great Lake view. Everything was clean and an awesome little weekend. Only complaint would be with their phone system. Tried to call several times about reserving an extra site with no luck. Eventually got through but it took 2 days.

Great Place To Call Home For The Night

My son Conner and I stayed at Pickwick Landing State Park on Monday night, July 15. We arrived after dark, but thanks to a park staff member I called earlier, we had an amazing campsite(#18) waiting for us when we arrived. Campsite#18 is located near the bathrooms and shower areas. The restroom and shower building had 8 individual shower rooms with fold down benches. Each of them were big enough to allow someone in a wheelchair to use them. Both the bathrooms and the shower rooms were clean and well stocked. The park staff cleaned them thoroughly the next morning as we prepared to leave. Each campsite has a picnic table, asphalt drive, a fire ring, grill, and lantern post. These sites also have power and water, but they do not have trash cans at the campsite. Trash must be taken from the campsite to the dump station by the campers. If you’re camping here make sure to bring your own trash bags. The sites seemed well spaced and all of them probably have full shade most of the day due to the mixture of pine and hardwood trees that fill the camp. A gas station/bait shop/oyster bar is about a mile away from the camp grounds. Grocery stores and other restaurants are within 5 miles. Though this was a quick camping trip for us(we went to see the Shiloh Battlefield and Shiloh Indian Mounds), the trip was made a little easier by having an efficient, comfortable, and peaceful campsite to call home for a few hours. Be on the lookout for our nighttime visitor Lester the curious racoon. He checked out our campsite after we went to bed looking for an easy meal. Luckily, we had put all of our food securely in the car before calling it a night. This is another 5 star Tennessee State Park campground. Sidenote: We enjoyed a good lunch at a place called the Rib Cage just a few miles from camp. Conner recommends the ribs but not the hot sauce.

Quick Stay

My friends and I had a great time at Buffalo Bud’s. We stayed one night, two days, and kayaked on our second day. The 10 mile section we floated was great for everyone who was with us! We stayed at the more primitive sites and had a quiet and excellent stay. Steve was great and super accommodating. He went over and beyond to give us what we needed!

Cub Creek Lake Campground #1

We stayed in Cub Creek Lake Campground #1, spot 12, on June 19, 2019. We sleep in two big tents and had originally reserved a spot in campground #2 which from descriptions was more aimed at tent campers. But after pulling into loop #2, we were able to switch our reservations to Loop #1 since #2 looked nearly abandoned with sloped sites and poor pad space. Our new campsite was great and had lots of room for our two big tents and and plenty of parking for our van. Nearby campers (mostly RVs) were spaced far enough away and the camp host was friendly and helpful.

Because of the season, it was hot and humid at night and we had a huge series of thunderstorms come through. The site drained well as well as the entire campground and next morning walking around the well-maintained trails and foot bridges over the lake was pleasant and dry. It looks like a big facility with a lodge and some cabins available on the other side of the lake. Would definitely recommend this site and this loop. Only reason I take a star off is because of the poor state of loop 2 and the lack of a dish washing station, but overall this is a great camp area!

What’s up with the KKK name?

Lovely campground but shocked it’s named after NBF. He was the first grand wizard of the KKK and responsible for the massacre of hundreds of black union troops who had surrendered at Fort Pillow. 😱 Doesn’t Tennessee have some respectable people for whom they could name the park?

Can’t beat Free

I have tent camped here twice, once in 2013 and just last week. Both times I was traveling the Trace by motorcycle and stopped for the night. Camping spots are easy accessible and first come first served. Both times I’ve been here has been during 4th of July week/weekend and the campground has only had a few campers, never packed. The grounds are nice and well maintained. If you’re tent camping or wondering about be sure to spray down with bug spay, red bugs and ticks are present as with an natural camping woods.