Big Sandy, TENNESSEE

242 Reviews
Most Recent Big Sandy Camping Reviews
I love it here.

There are free hot showers, laundry facilities in the summer, and it's clean and well kept. It's not too far from Nashville. White Bluff, the closest town, is only a few miles away and is a cute little town. Would highly recommend.

One of my Favorites!

Love camping at Happy Hollow! It's small but great people and feel very safe!

Very nice place

The site I had was a little awkward backing into and the water hookup was on the wrong side for my camper. Nice facilities.

This is someone’s private property

And not a place you can camp

I mean, if you like KOA...

And the sound of the interstate then this is for you. The best part about this place is it’s close to the log cabin restaurant. Try the pie!

Locked gate and no trespassing signs

A nice drive through the area: cool old abandoned houses and barns, deer and wild turkey, and a small creek to visit, but couldn’t access the campsite.

Great sites, beautiful landscape.

You'll have to drive a ways out of your way to get there, but once you do, you'll be glad. We typically have to leave Fridays after work, so we typically arrive at dark; sites aren't well marked, and not much turning room on the road to manuever while you're trying to back up. There are several pull-through options and some small camping cul-de-sacs.

We stayed at site 40, which had a huge pad, great concrete coated picnic table and lantern stand. Firepits don't have grills options.

The camp is quite small, one major loop, and 5-8 sites on the water, but only available first come basis. Friendly and helpful staff and great diner called the Watering Hole 1 mi up the road.

Very nice bathrooms, centrally located, cute playground and right on the water. Only one dump site, and it’s a one-sided, one port, pull-through lane, so if you go at checkout /1-2pm, expect a 2-3 RV wait to dump.

GREAT FOR GROUPS/FAMILIES

We've stayed 6 times at MB, it's my partners fave place to go.

FAMILIES +++ With a great pavilion, Vb court, ball diamond, and playground, the far side of the camp is perfect for families, groups, and events. Our fave sites are 1-8, with #1+2 right next to the creek and the most updated bathrooms. If you don't want kiddos walking through your campsite to get to the playground, you may want to choose a higher number.

BATHROOMS there's three bathroom facilities; two newer ones and an older one. Ironically, the older one has a washer and dryer, bring quarters. Far side of the camp has tents and creekside spots, but a lot.of folks with big RVs tend to do the middle spots, they're more easily accessible.

ICE AND FIREWOOD Are for sale, $5 a bag/bundle. Super helpful staff. Unlike most camps that have gates, you can pull in, and simply stop with enough room for others to go around.

THINGS TO DO There's some historic hiking trail, historic old church/cabins, as well as the welcome center, the Inn, lake to swim, and a golf course nearby.

DRIVE AROUND With such an expansive park, aside from the camping area, you'll want to drive around to see everything, and bring your walking shoes if you prefer to hike.

Check out the creekside campsites and book early if you want to accommodate your group OR get a spot. Sites are able to booked 6 months ahead, so think ahead.

Older campground but still has all you need

We've camped here a couple of times. Lake is nice but some of the sites on the lake are steep. The spot was clean and had a nice picnic table and fire pit.

Electric hook up a bit far from camper. Needed to buy extension for 30-50 amp hookup.

Level? Not so much. Unless you are a master truck driver, and pull a trailer less than 24', you are in trouble backing into most sites. Pray your neighbor moves his/her vehicle for you. Bathhouse needs a total gut job, and more attentive personnel on busy weekends. Area around the campground is great with lots of activities.

Average camping

We've camped and stayed in the lodge and both are not horrible but….This place is a diamond in the rough, and you should focus on the rough aspect. When we pulled up to the lodge it was awe inspiring. We registered in a lovely lobby, and drove to the parking lot by our room. This is where things changed. We carried our bags to the rustic covered walkway, and fought our way through swarms of nats to get to our room. The woodwork is in poor shape, and the metal brackets are rusting. Spider webs and mud dauber nests are all over. We stayed in a ground level room. There is no elevator, so we carried our bags down the stairs. The room is late 60s decor, and kinda funky, but a little worn, furthermore, it was not particularly clean. We called the front desk, and the desk clerk came down personally to vacuum the room, and was as pleasant as can be when she did. The adjoining room next door can be heard through the wall. The dining room is somewhat better cared for, and the food was good. Every staff member has been pleasant and engaging, and the views are amazing. With a good housekeeping manager, a good grounds crew, some maintenance catch up, and spraying for bugs this lodge would be simply fantastic. As it is, it is a tolerable, interesting place to stay with a very nice group of people in contact with the customer. If you choose to stay here, opt for the second floor room and preferably the marina side. It seems less buggy.

Nature

Very green and relaxing. Sites are a good size and the bathrooms are decent.

Great site and secluded

We loved this site we had it all to ourselves. It was a bunch of trash around we had to pick up. The views of the sunset were beautiful.

Repeat Camper!

Cub Lake Campground #1

I love this campground so much! It is very small and private. Only small campers and tent campers are allowed in this campground. I like the sites at the end of the loop because they are closer to the water, however, they are not as private. The sites offer 30amp elec and water hookup. The campground host is really nice and has wood on site for sale. The park store is close by for souvenirs and any other items you might need to purchase. The bathhouse is old, but super clean! We love the bridges that you can walk across to get to the cabins or to the swim beach area and kayak/paddle boat rentals.

Hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, paddle boarding

Decent campground ⛺️ we were on site 67 which I would recommend. It’s on a hill with rocks, roots poison ivy as well as poison oak. So stay away from the side of site 67!

Other than that there is 3 lakes, and harpeth rive you can play in or fish.

This is a really nice campground

Tis is a really nice campground on the Tennessee river, which is great for boating and fishing also nice for camping

Not very happy with this park

Not very happy with this campground the campsite was hard for us to place out tent on not much room and unlevel ground. the campsite was overcrowded too close together no privacy. WiFi was horrible. not very many activities to do for family or kids walking trails  not clear enough that we almost stepped on snakes the swimming Beach area was very small and only went to an adults waste the fishing spots were not the greatest really hard for kids to fish.

Nice, quiet, family oriented.

Quiet, near shopping, family oriented, Pet friendly, boat launch, shore fishing, store, pull through sites, friendly helpful staff, tent sites, great place to camp.

Quiet, family oriented, helpful staff, wonderful neighbors, & Pet friendly

If you are looking for a quiet, family oriented campground with boat ramp and is kid and Pet friendly you !ight just love Birdsong Resort and Marina Campground.

Friendly, comfy, easy

Such a great park. We showed up, swam in a beautiful and clean lake, and then cooked dinner and used the incredible bathroom facilities and did a campfire with incredible neighbors. Woke up and used the great shower facilities and hit the road. Will definitely be back again

Isolated and Quiet

I loved the absolute isolation and quiet atmosphere that this campsite offers. I saw a few people but they mostly kept to themselves, which was fine with me. I was solo camping and came out to enjoy the solitude. I had a site on the lower side near the lake, I knew there was some rain forecast, but there was a ditch next to my site that I assumed would handle any runoff from the hill above. I was wrong. It rained rather heavily for about 4.5 hours and that little ditch couldn't handle it all. Water flooded under my tent, but the floor held up and the interior stayed dry, but the exterior became caked in mud. The rain also created rather large gouges in the roadways within the campsite, but this seems to be a common occurrence in the gravel roads within the LBL. The gouges in the road leading to the camp were filled in a day or so, so I had no problem driving out.

On the up side, the camp offers views of a myriad of wildlife and great fishing access to the lake. I stayed four days and three nights from Sunday to Wednesday. I imagine that the weekends may draw more of a crowd, but I don't know for sure. But the early part of the week that I was there offered a great chance to truly get away from it all. I was there in late July and other than all the mayflies on the bank, there were hardly any bugs to speak of. Other than the flies attracted to my trash.

Speaking of trash, there is a dumpster on site so there is no need to pack out your litter. The portapot was spotless, so that was another plus.

I would recommend this site and would definitely come back.

Very Handicap Accessible

We stayed here with our son who is in a wheelchair. Pin Oak had 2 sites that were very accommodating and close to the bath house with a Great Lake view. Everything was clean and an awesome little weekend. Only complaint would be with their phone system. Tried to call several times about reserving an extra site with no luck. Eventually got through but it took 2 days.

Beautiful!

Very peaceful and gorgeous view with boat ramp. The drive in is pretty rough even with us being in a jeep though.

LBL: Boswell Landing

This site is amazing! We were able to spread out our tents for a group site and we had the perfect set up! We were 100ft. From the lake and had so many trees to use for our hammocks. One of the best camping sites I’ve had in a long time! It has a dumpster located by the boat ramp. Far enough to not smell it but close enough that it was still super convenient. There is single toilet facility for all of the sites, this toilet was the cleanest public camping toilet I’ve ever seen.There was constant traffic in and out due to the boat ramp but we were able to get far enough from the actual ramp that the traffic didn’t bother us. We had two dogs out there with us and they had so much space to roam. When we ran out of ice, it was a 20 minute trip there and back to get more ice. We showed up with wood for a fire, and thought we would need more but people are constantly in and out, so we inherited a ton of wood which is nice, you can also buy wood bundles at the ranger station at Paris Landing. Each site has a concrete picnic table and fire ring as well.

Great Campground

Everything you need, plus a creek runs through it. Trails go through campsite also. Highly recommended.

Great place

This place was very nice and well kept. My only problem with it was that people fly in and out of the cove on their boats.

Cub Creek Lake Campground #1

We stayed in Cub Creek Lake Campground #1, spot 12, on June 19, 2019. We sleep in two big tents and had originally reserved a spot in campground #2 which from descriptions was more aimed at tent campers. But after pulling into loop #2, we were able to switch our reservations to Loop #1 since #2 looked nearly abandoned with sloped sites and poor pad space. Our new campsite was great and had lots of room for our two big tents and and plenty of parking for our van. Nearby campers (mostly RVs) were spaced far enough away and the camp host was friendly and helpful.

Because of the season, it was hot and humid at night and we had a huge series of thunderstorms come through. The site drained well as well as the entire campground and next morning walking around the well-maintained trails and foot bridges over the lake was pleasant and dry. It looks like a big facility with a lodge and some cabins available on the other side of the lake. Would definitely recommend this site and this loop. Only reason I take a star off is because of the poor state of loop 2 and the lack of a dish washing station, but overall this is a great camp area!

What’s up with the KKK name?

Lovely campground but shocked it’s named after NBF. He was the first grand wizard of the KKK and responsible for the massacre of hundreds of black union troops who had surrendered at Fort Pillow. 😱 Doesn’t Tennessee have some respectable people for whom they could name the park?

Clean but poor Management

Upon arrival for a month long water and electric stay I signed a receipt for one site and was directed to set up in a different site (for which our parking tags were filled out for). When we arrived at the alternate site it was poorly marked and it didn’t have water hookup so I went back to the office to clarify if we were in the right place and the owner told me it was the site to the left of the marker with both hookups. Lo and behold her husband came around the next day and said we were in the wrong spot and we’d have to move. On day 3 she came by and said we were fine and would be ok to stay there for the month. 2 days later she came back and said we could only stay there two weeks and then would have to move to the site next to ours for the rest of the month. Another family occupied that site later in the week for a weeklong stay and left after two days because the stench of the sewage leaking from the seasonal camper in the lot adjacent to it was horrific. We ended up leaving after our two weeks because we were tired of the back and forth and the cost for 2 weeks vs a month was virtually the same. Upon talking to other families, we weren’t the only ones who were told they would have to move during their stay.

The campground itself was clean and upkept. The beach was nice. Very shallow swimming which was perfect for young kids. Laundry (one washer and dryer) on site and the bathhouse was kept clean and maintained.