Yurts
No Market
Nehalem Bay State Park is located in Oregon
29 Reviews of Nehalem Bay State Park
Quiet, Safe, Clean, Affordable

I stayed here, arriving just after 9pm and ran in to the state park tripped on my way in. She was super kind and gave me directions around the park

The park has full washrooms which worked great as I was sleeping in my truck.

It also had a great playground for kids to play on.

The beach is the most peaceful thing I’ve ever seen at 6 am. It’s like you are the only soul that exist.

Was absolutely beautiful the one night stay.

Great Family Campground!

This campground has it all! Including playgrounds for the kids, beach access, group reservations, and quiet nights to enjoy the stars.

If you are a car camper then this is the place to be. Have little ones? This is perfect as campsites give clear views of play area and walk to beach perfect for excursions.

Nice state park on the coast

Nice, generous size campsites. Clean restrooms (saw a review that said just the opposite but I did not find this to be the case when we visited). When we purchased firewood, the camp host recommended the best loop for sunny sites (it had rained all day). Paved, flat driveways. Easy beach access directly from the campsite. Enjoyed our stay here, even though it was only for one night.

Cozy

Nice campground - plenty of amenities. Lots of kids and families around. Very close quarters though. Close to the beach and perfect for dogs!

Right on the beach!

When we Stayed: Early April, Wednesday-Friday

Overall Experience: our site was right next to the path to the beach - perfect!! It's a beautiful coastal wooded park so walking the dogs all around the campground was a pleasure.

Sites: we reserved online and picked a site right next to the path that led to the beach over the dunes. Our site was plenty big with lots of space between sites, although not a ton of privacy bc there were few trees directly between sites.

Campground: It's a huge campground so at least half the sites were not as close to the beach.

This park is Rad!

Even the breathtaking view from the highway is enough to go to Nehalem Bay State Park. The campground is nice, enough room to not feel packed in. The beach walk is steep and long, but oh so worth it! The beach is amazing…like when you all of a sudden look up and there’s the beach….it’s mind blowingly beautiful. A perfect playground for the day, and a great spot for a fire to watch the sun go down. There are also wonderful dunes to hunker down behind to have a less windy beach day. One day the wind was blowing the sand just high enough to hit unsuspecting toddlers in the face. When your not on the beach, Nehalem Bay has a very nice bike path that goes out past the bay and loops back around past the runway. Yes! A runway with small planes landing either for the day or for a weekend to fly-in-camp style! A beach day at the bay during lower tides is a must! So much sea life to watch. Birds dropping right down and grabbing fish. A seal popping it’s head out and looking at us. And a very awesome view cave dug below tree roots. That hike up is steep…but my toddler did it multiple times. It’s that cool and safe. She would scoot on her butt down then roll down towards the bottom. Nehalem Bay State Park is one extremely rad and fun park, one place that is now a yearly tradition of my family. I’m sure it will be one of your families too.

never disappoints

Bigger campground off a fabulous beach prime for kite flying and beaching. Minutes from Manzanita and just down the coast from Cannon Beach.

camping on the coast

close quarters but we were there for the ocean! nice clean amenities and a welcome stop while traveling the west coast

Close to the beach, but claustrophobic

My SO and I happened upon Nehalem Bay State Park Campground when looking for a place to camp on the Oregon Coast in a pinch. We were on a weeklong trip to the Pacific Northwest, with twenty-four hours to experience the coast, as we made our way from Olympia to Portland.

The enchanting scenery along the 101 had us giddy and wishing we could set up our tent somewhere on a magical, desolate stretch of beach along the road. Unfortunately, the laws on the 101 (or at least the stretch we were on) prohibit vehicles from parking overnight. As the golden hour waned, Nehalem was the closest campground.

We arrived to find a tent-city. Hundreds of little sites were packed tightly together, with nothing separating them, but an asphalt pull-off for your car. Laughter of children riding scooters echoed through the paved roads. I was disappointed. Nonetheless, sites were available, and there wasn’t enough daylight to shop around for another place, so we stayed.

It was $40 for the night. The rangers were friendly as we registered to camp. We settled on a site near the beach path--after a futile hunt for a secluded site--and headed for the beach just in time for a glorious sunset.

My gripes about the campsite’s claustrophobic layout faded as we walked down the path. This was my first time on an Oregon Coast beach, and the beauty of its vast, open expanse of milky dunes had me stunned. We made a fire and happily chatted the night away amidst a gentle lullaby of waves. Once we were tired, it was a quick walk back to our site, where I instantly fell into a peaceful slumber.

The next morning, I was happy to roll out of my tent and wander to the beach. We spent the rest of the day exploring highlights of the coast, just down the road, before the hour and a half drive to Portland.

So yes, the camping area here lacks that nature retreat feel. But staying here is effortless, and its facilities are pleasant and clean. Its closeness to an awe-inspiring Oregon beach, is a worthy trade-off for the close-quarters of its sites. In the twenty-four short hours I had on the Coast, staying at Nehalem enabled me to fully appreciate its magnificence.

I’m not even sure if the Oregon Coast campground of my dreams exists. But if I find myself there again, I will do a little more research, so I can find a place to camp that’s closer to that dream.

A great place to stay on the coast.

What a great campground. The beach is not far from the camping area and a lot less crowded than Cannon Beach and Seaside.