Atlantic, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Atlantic Camping Reviews
Great location

Clean camp grounds, could use additional shower. Overall great experience.

Great location

Clean camp grounds, could use additional shower. Overall great experience.

Great sound views.

First time staying here in early November and what a nice campground. Reserved a site but when I pulled up to my spot it was all muddy and rutted up. Back up to the office I went and she said to pick any of the sites but the ones already reserved. Clean bathrooms. Hot showers. Cool tent sites in the trees. One thing I will say is I didn’t expect the mosquitos to be this bad in November. They are a different breed than what we have back home. Other than that just a normal good campground with added features to make your stay great. Would stay again but next time to try the cabins.

Clean and Friendly

My first campsite with my new-to-me T@B trailer. We camped right up against tall grassy dunes so we were protected from the wind. Could hear the ocean at night. Super clean bathhouse. The staff would drive around 3 times per day to collect your trash. Once they picked up my awning poles and put on the trailer to throw away—they’re not kidding when the say everything and anything will be picked up! Had to chase them down but retrieved so all was good. WiFi was not great but who cares when you’re practically parked on the beach. Will def go back here. Too late in season so I didn’t use but they also have salt water pool!

Beautiful beach camping!

Love this park. Bear Island is only accessible by boat. So you have to pay a small fee for the ferry ride that takes you to Bear Island. Or you can canoe or kayak. You have to hike with all your camping gear less than a mile to the beach. There is not much shade on the hike there but it wasn't bad on a hot summer day.

The beach camping spots are right in front of the dunes. We went on Labor Day weekend and there was no one there! So peaceful and serene. Lots of shells to find! And what a beautiful beach. There are nice bathrooms, water, and a snack bar that is open during the summer (cash only). Lots of picnic tables here as well.

Planning on coming back here next summer and staying longer! Such a unique camping experience!

Awesome beach camping!

A great National Park Service Campground! If you are lucky you can get a site with private access to the beach. You can't reserve a specific site online so you have to choose it when you get there. We camped here in October, so we had tons to choose from!

The campsite was multi-tiered with a flat grassy area with a picnic table at the bottom, a path to another flat sandy area where we put our tent, and then a path over the dune to the beach. The bathrooms have cold showers and are pretty basic. No fires at this campground but you can have a fire in the grill.

Ocracoke is such a special place with lots of fun things to do and see in town or just spend the whole time at the beach!

Pretty close to perfect

We had a wonderful first camping trip of 2019 at Frisco NPS campground. The perks to camping here in April would be: less bugs and less people! And it's not too hot. The beach is so beautiful. Our campsite 59 had an amazing view of the beach and campground, though it was too far away to walk to the beach.

There are little cactuses everywhere so be careful!

Very nice

It was our first time visiting. The host was very nice, the camp sites clean and kept. We found a few paths to the river but the river access was very small. There is a Mountain-to-Sea path nearby as well.

My heaven on earth

This is the campground if you want to go beach camping. The natural mounds of sand and sea grass make for decent privacy. Depending on the spot you pick, the shore is a few steps away. You can drive to a small lot near the beach entrance if your lot is far away. The night sky is breathtaking. The beach is usually pretty quiet, more fishermen than anything else. If you want to disconnect and leave with salt still in your hair and lips, this is a great place for it.

Best Campground on Ocracoke

I absolutely love Ocracoke and Teeter’s is the only campground with power and hot showers. The owner is super nice and prices are reasonable. You can walk everywhere you need to go. Take bug spray! Ocracoke mosquitoes are on steroids. My pup loved golf cart rides around the village

This is a clean campground. Nothing fancy. It is close to beaches and the intercoastal waterway.

Pros: clean bathhouse and laundry house. Nice pool. Small Catch and release pond for fishing. Military discount.

Cons: Un-level gravel camper parking areas made it hard to get our camper level.

Ant piles everywhere and ants all over our chairs and outdoor rugs. Dogs couldn’t get a spot without ants.

No shade trees for short stay guests. This is a deal breaker for us, as it’s hot as hell here in the summer time.

No Wifi. Cable hook up wouldn’t work for us.

Alot of full timers, and residents here. And no access to the waterway as advertised.

summer camping

Stayed on a peak heat weekend and there is little to no shade on the site. About a mile away from beach access. No fire pits, only grills available. Recommend mosquito barriers in the summer months.

Great Campground Close to Historic New Bern and Tryon Palace

I think this is only the third time I have stayed at a cabin at a campground, and it was all right but I like tent camping better. Because of the intense heat and health concerns, we chose to stay in a cabin here. I wish I had taken more pictures of the campground, but my buddy(seen in the photos) and I are photographers who look for scenes of beauty. It’s not that the campground was not“pretty,” but when you are this close to New Bern, there are better things to photograph. There’s Tryon Palace, Union Point Park, the historic Confederate cemetery, the fireman’s museum, the Pepsi Cola museum(New Bern is where Pepsi was born), etc. The New Bern KOA is perfect in every way. The sites are large with full hookups, Wi-Fi, cable TV, etc. It has all the amenities of a top notch campground that you would expect from KOA. I have stayed at several KOA campgrounds, and they all seem to have the oversized chess; and I have never seen anyone playing it with seriousness. They have two pools, a pavilion, a bouncer… and I could go on and on. IF you want to spend your time at the campground, there is so much to do that you don’t need to go anywhere else… HOWEVER… Did I mention New Bern and Tryon Palace? You can’t come this close to New Bern and not go to Tryon Palace. The campground is located on the shores of the confluence of the Trent and Neuse Rivers. Since they join here, you seem as if you are closer to the ocean. It looks more like a bay. There is a really nice pier at the campground beach for fishing, and the KOA here has outdoor boat rentals. There is also horseshoes, pedal bike rentals… Did I mention there is also New Bern and Tryon Palace? Seriously, the New Bern KOA is about the best campground at which I have stayed, but my buddy had never been to New Bern. There was more to see. If you go, make sure to make reservations. New Bern is a historic town with lots of vacationers during the summer. Looking for something to eat? My favorite place to eat in New Bern was Captain Ratty’s, which has great clam chowder. However, New Bern has lots of other great places to eat as well. The downtown area is also a great area for shopping. Back to the campground… the first time I stayed at the New Bern KOA was over thirty years ago, but it has grown in size and amenities. Now, it is more like a resort than a simple campground.

Great Location

Just am few miles from Atlantic Beach, Fort Macon, and Pine Knoll Shores. Free cable, full hook up, super staff, very clean and pet friendly. Wonderfully relaxing. Updated and very clean bath house and laundry.

Great campsite

Awesome amenities, clean bathhouse and very accomplish staff

Beautiful view!

I’ve been here a few times and the sound side sites are amazing. They also have sites up in the trees that are more private which I really enjoyed. Very cool spot!

Great campground on the water

My wife and I spent a few days here while searching the area for potential retirement location. It's also a seasonal campground. Bathrooms were spotless, beautiful pool and a nice little waterslide for the kids. Our site was right on water with a great view of the sunset. The barrier Island's are only 5 minute ride over the bridge

Cabin Camping

We stayed for four nights and rented two of the cabins with our family of six with two dogs and a lizard. When we travel, we travel. Cabins were comfortable but they are camping cabins so read the description of what’s included and what you need to pack with you. Located right off NC HWY 12 you are closest to OSV Ramp 55 by the ferry and Pole Road. Camp hosts and staff were friendly and it was a very family oriented atmosphere. Campground was secluded from thru traffic so our son could ride his bike throughout with no concerns. A cool canal runs around the cabins and sites allowing the kids to fish. We’ll be back.

Do not go here!

When driving in it was beautiful. Looks can be deceiving. The only place to fill with water was the dump station and we were filling for 20 minutes and ran out after about an hour. The restrooms and showers were so discusting that we cancelled half of our reservation. We were to be there 3 days, go to Myrtle beach and go back for 4 more, but I could not bring myself to go back. I only time saw the campground host once in three days (at 6am smoking at his site), he was no where to be found otherwise. I called COE and told them they should not put this campground (it was not COE it was National Croatan Forest) on their site.

Beautiful, vegetated dunes camping

A nice developed campground with sites dispersed amongst the dunes along the Atlantic Ocean on Cape Hatteras. The mosquitos come out in force after sunsets but, the sunsets alone are worth is. Pleasant breezes, beautiful scenery and tranquility. Adequate facilities and a step price ($28) for a tent only site.

Heatwave

Cedar Point RA is a small campground along the White Oak River in the Croatan National Forest. The campground has 40 sites with electric hook up. The sites are level and have a paved parking pad that they are pretty strict on you keeping all wheels on and a gravel area with a picnic table, fire pit, and two lantern poles (that also work good for putting up a clothes line or dog zipline). The sites do not have water hook ups so make sure your RV fresh water tanks are topped off, or there are plenty of potable water points throughout the campground to fill up you jugs. The sites are large and separated by space, not trees, for privacy. The sites on the southeast side seemed to have more shade than those on the northwest side. Campground map is in my pictures.

There is no office or signage for check-in, so we just drove in, found our reserved spot that had our name on the tag and set up. The Camp Host came around a little later and apparently we were supposed to know to check-in with him somehow. We stayed on site 24 on this visit. Lots of sun throughout the day until late evening, so a little miserable on this stay as the area had heat advisories every day.

The bathhouse could use a little TLC. The bathrooms were functional but not very clean. The showers are separate from the bathroom and half were out of order on this stay. Additionally, in typical National Forest fashion, there is no heat or air or even a fan in the bathroom or showers, so again, pretty miserable on this stay as the area had heat advisories every day. The heat in the bathrooms and showers had to be over 100 degrees. Also, typical National Forest setup, the showers are push button, with no temperature control (you get what you get) and the water only flows for about 15 seconds with each push of the button.

Firewood was available at the camp host. There is a full grocery store 5 minutes from the campground. The resort has many amenities like a boat ramp about a ¼ of a mile down the road and a hiking trail that loops for about 2 miles along the marshy shore line. There is a dump station and trash dumpster behind the camp hosts location.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did not have wi-fi.

While in the area we enjoyed the public beach on Emerald Isle, which is only 15 minutes from campground. There are lots of water sport rentals nearby and restaurants. Camp Lejeune is less than 30 minutes away and on some nights we could hear the artillery in the distance as the Marines trained. However, as a retired Army guy, the faint sound of freedom did not bother me at all.

The heatwave during our stay really hindered us. Not sure we’d revisit in the middle of the summer again, but during the cooler month I’m sure it would be much more comfortable.

See it before it’s underwater

You sleep to the sound of the waves crashing

Wow best Nc beach camping.

You must plan for this trip. You can ferry to sites or paddle there. Currently paddle is the only way as the ferry is down due to last years storms. Great sites on the island . Fantastic views quite the experience.

Great camp site just over the dunes from the beach.

Roll out of you tent onto the beach. Great site with showers. Can get windy at night.

Great first experience

We used New Bern KOA for our shakedown trip with our new RV. Easy in, full service, lots to do. A great first experience with KOA

Great RV camp near the beach.

Great little spot here near the beach. About a mile down the road. Great pool, showers, clean restrooms, secure gated location. Good value.

Great Beach Camping

Drove down from our 4 night stay in Kitty Hawk, took the ferry over to Ocracoke. Tent camped for the night. Our little spot (D25) had a paved drive that I could back into, a grill and a picnic table. So everything you need really. It dog legged off to the right into to smaller trees witch we took advantage of as a wind break.

We walked over the dunes to the beach, water was warm but the surf was a bit rough so I only went out about waste deep (Rip current). Wind was up that day too, a lot of sea shells on the beach if your into that.

Grounds had shower stalls with cold water, no problem for us and they had men's and women's restrooms that were clean and well lit.

We would defiantly recommend this campground and I hope to stay there again some day!

Meh

The sites are decent, but very little shade. There are no individual water hookups at each site. They are just scattered thruout the campground. The website does not specify this. Also, there is nowhere to wash dishes as they do not allow gray water at the water pumps, and there is no gray water dumpstation if you did happen to fill your holding tanks. There are only four shower stalls for the whole campground, and 2 were out of order during our stay…and could use a cleaning.

Great location

Great location. Easy to get to the beach or check out the river or trails. Power only hook ups with a water and sanitation station for the whole Campground. The “host” sucks and will drive by 10 times a day making sure no one is breaking any rules. Well trained dog off the leash for a few minutes well away from everyone so he can retrieve a ball….nope. Not allowed. Drive 10mph in a 5. Get threatened to be kicked out? Meanwhile the bathrooms /showers haven’t been cleaned this year.