The best GROUP camping near
White City , MICHIGAN

Most Recent White City Camping Reviews
Legacy and a Gem

We first stayed at Alpine Campground this summer and we ended up staying twice on two separate trips. Both times we needed a place to rest for a night on our way to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and later to Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. We think we discovered something special.

The campground is on a beautiful property. It is a bit dated and our pull thru sites where just long enough for our 35’ trailer and truck to stay connected. Sites were grass, a little un-level but were very spacious. These pull-thru sites were water and electric only (30 amp) and the water pressure was a little low. There is a convenient dump station on the way out of the park.

But the sweet owner who opened this park years ago with her husband made the stay a gem. She and her three small dogs went out of her way to make there way around the park on her golf cart and check-in with her guests.

There are full hookups sites back in the trees and there are also some great group camping sites down by the river. Some even looked like the had water and electric at them. There were tents also setup on the perimeter of the grounds.

Where we may have found some small things at a different park a bit disappointing, the charm of this park made this a special place to stay and dream of years gone by. We look forward to visiting again.

I only stayed for one night but it was incredible! The waterfalls are remarkable. Stay for more than one night because there is so much to do.

We loved staying here!

We loved our stay here! Close to the porcupines, super friendly staff and right on the water!

We originally tried to stay in porcupine mountain state park, we drove through the campground and were not terribly impressed. Then we found out it was full so we drove over to check out the township park.  The gentleman in the office asked what we were looking for and suggested a couple of sites we should look at, we found one that we really liked, site 4. We backed the truck up and Lake Superior was our backdrop for a few days.

The showers are pay showers but are clean like the modern bathrooms. They also have pit toilets around the campground.

There is a playground and disc golf in the area and lots of other things to do.

Beautiful at peak fall color!

I did a 3 day/2 night hike during peak color, starting at the Lake Superior Trailhead. I was warned the Lake Superior trail was muddy when I checked in, and the ranger was not joking - I was grateful to have trekking poles to help balance on logs, branches, roots and rocks to try to keep my boots as dry as possible in the parts of the trail that were submerged.

Campsite LS-14 had a lovely location on the lake, but was very muddy/previously submerged with water. It immediately abuts site LS-13. There was a wooden platform to put my tent on, but I had to bolster the corners so that it was big enough for my tent poles to have something to rest on. If I had gotten in before dark, I might have seen the small area near the trail side of the site that had higher, dryer ground. There is supposed to be a bear pole for these sites, but the group at the other site said there wasn't one. In hindsight, I think there probably was, away from the campsites, but since I had a canister, I didn't go looking for it after dark. The Lake Superior trail continued to be muddy until you got close to the Big Carp River mouth.

Campsite BC-8 was a big upgrade - very large site, a little patch of open sky over the fire pit, easy access to the river for water. The big trees provided good shelter from a minor storm and high winds overnight. This site is right alongside the trail, but separated from the cabin and next site by a good distance. The hike out from here up the Big Carp River trail to Lake of the Clouds is a somewhat longer trek with a bit of elevation gain, but nothing too intense in my opinion.

Not for camping but a great day activity location.

If you’re looking for a place to rest and play for the day this is a good choice. I grew up in this region and this little spot is a hidden gem for day camping, fishing, picnicking, and swimming.

Amazing canoe camping

The Turtle Flambeau Flowage is dubbed the "Boundary Waters of Wisconsin" and for good reason! The quality of the waters, vast array of channels, islands and camping spots is simply amazing.

There are several public boat launches for launching a canoe, kayak or fishing boat. Unfortunately there are also some ski boats launching which should be forbidden on the flowage. There is nowhere that water levels go over 15 feet and in fact usually average 8 feet or less. There are random large rocks, stumps right out in the middle of what looks like a good area to open up a power boat and ski. I fear some day someone will die or destroy their boat on a collision.

When canoe camping, the best place to launch from is Murrey's Landing or Fisherman's landing. These two spots are closest to the voluntary wake zone where you won't see speed boats. There are 60 camp sites spread throughout the flowage.

We settled on this amazing site called "Zelda's" nestled in a bay which is off the main drag of boats. It was quiet, heavily wooded, secluded and perfect for two. This site (like many) was on its own private island. The site had a fire ring, latrine and nice tent pad. This site is considered "rustic" because it lacks a picnic table and bench around the fire. We didn't mind though.

Our site happened to have a mating pair of eagles about 50 yards from our landing. There was also a nice sandy beach 100 yards from our landing on an opposite strip of the flowage. We paddled over, laid out a blanket and sun bathed in a little used area.

We can't wait to go back and stay at another camp spot!

Lovely place

This place has always been well maintained. Clean facilities. There is plenty of space in between camping or RV spots. If your looking for a place that isn't crammed packed full of people this is it. Utv trails to Wisconsin can be accessed right here. There are waterfalls nearby that are off the beaten path. Can't beat it if your looking to explore and have an adventure. The owners here do things a little old fashioned. But are very friendly people. This is our second time staying here. We will come again.

A long way to be so close

Let me start by saying that I was really looking forward to this trip. Kayaking 2 hours to get to a secluded campsite? Yes please! Problem was we ended up being 20 yards away from the next site… which was clearly visible through the clear old growth forest. Most sites in Sylvania are 2 sites very near to each other. To add insult to injury, they ended up getting very loud and drunk at night. What do you do to get someone to stop ruining your wilderness camping vacation when there is no cell service and rangers aren't on duty? You suffer through it. Ruined the first vacation I've had in 4 years. My advice to is to book both sites for the nights you're staying. At $15 a night per site, it still ends up being a cheap investment for peace and quiet.

Such an interesting Dam

This was a man made like, yet they did a decent job about educating about the dam, what the water ways looked like prior to the dam and where power goes from the dams generation.

The sites themselves were nice and had a cool path around the falls.

Coming from the PNW, I thought the water was a bit dirty to swim in… very brown, but after spending some time in the UP I guess people do swim in most waters.

Great base camp for the areas attractions

We got lucky and landed a spot at this campground when on a trip to the upper Peninsula. The sunsets on the sandy beach that is connected to the campground were a highlight. My wife enjoyed that there were clean shower and toilet facilities. I would be fine at a more rustic camp site deep in the woods but my wife and daughter definitely appreciated the beach and playground. If we are back in that area I wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again.