About Tahquamenon Falls 1 State Park
Tahquamenon Falls 1 State Park is located in Michigan
28 Reviews of Tahquamenon Falls 1 State Park
Disappointing rain out

Unfortunately I can’t give this campground the review it may deserve. We tried to camp here In mid- July, but due to recent heavy rains our site was under several inches of water. The campground was crowded and because of the mud, cars were parked anywhere they could to try and not be stuck. The staff were not sympathetic to the fact that our site was under water, and it resulted in our leaving. I don’t mind roughing it out in the rain, but there was no where to put up a tent. We would have needed a houseboat. The Falls were nice but can be enjoyed without camping here. It is the first state park I’ve seen that had a Brew Pub in it. The park seemed overly touristy however with literal busloads of people in and out of the Falls area.

Tahquamenon Falls State Park

We loved staying at Tahquamenon Falls State Park hiking along the river between the falls was great and it was total worth the extra few dollars to rent a boat and row out to the island. The bathrooms and showers where very clean. Each campsite seemed large enough to stay away from your neighbors.

Crowded, but okay

Tahquamenon falls is a must see… but honestly you don’t need to camp there. It was super crowded everywhere we went, and while we got lucky and got a site that backed into the woods, the firepit and table were right next to the people next to us! The falls were awesome, just wish that it was less packed.

Nice, accommodating, peacful

I have stayed at the campground as well as just made day trip visits for hiking. The campground is always clean, quiet, and beautiful. Some sites even back up to the river and make for a soothing nights sleep for tent campers after hiking the miles of trails near the campground. Fishing is not bad either.

Another great Michigan State Park!

There are four choices when camping at Tahquamenon Falls State Park: rustic and modern Rivermouth, Hemlock, and Portage; this review is for Portage. Portage is the most popular campground, due most likely to the closeness to the lower falls. We arrived on a Sunday in September and it was almost, if not entirely, full. The other campgrounds had more availability. Easy access to the lower falls via a boardwalk and then you can continue on to the River Trail leading to the Upper falls (where there was a brewery!). This is a challenging hike but if you go in the summer months, there is a shuttle. There is a gift shop and snack bar with delicious ice cream. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the bathrooms and the shower rooms. Michigan State parks earn extra marks for their recycling: paper, plastic,aluminum, and best of all - propane canisters. I wasn’t sure what “returnables” meant so it might be good to explain. Sites were generous in size but the interior ones did not have any privacy separation, the only reason I am giving this a four star rating. Try and snag an outside site for more privacy.

so beautiful!

go here in the winter when its frozen, its one of the most beautiful sights. love this place, will continue to go back. always really clean!

Large sites!

We has such a great time at this park! The sites were quite generous in size and we felt like we had adequate privacy; we tent, so it’s kind of a must. Of course the main attraction itself, the falls, can be heard late at night, right from the campground; it’s amazing. Do you kayak? It’s a must! They provide a slide/railing to easily Portage your kayak down to the water, and from there, paddle to the island for a different perspective of the upper and lower falls! Trust me!

Pretty good

this is your average state park campground, only you have falls a short hike away. nothing too fancy, but they do offer good programs for kids, which is a plus.

Beautiful campground

This campground offers breathtaking views of Tahquamenon falls. I prefer to visit this campground in the spring because it is full of tourists in the summer months.

Heaven on Earth if you believe!

If you love the outdoors and love being surrounded by nature and getting lost in tranquility, this is it! Beautiful, breathtaking Tahquamenon Falls! As beautiful as it is green it is even more beautiful as you can imagine In the fall! This place has it all! There is a lower falls area and a upper falls area to this park separated by about 5 miles. You can drive to either end with a short walk after parking or you can take the North Country Scenic Trail for a relatively easy hike from one end to the other! I suggest wearing secure shoes or boots for this hike. There is a shuttle service available if you decide to hike and need a ride back to the other section. You can rent canoes or kayaks at the lower falls if you desire more adventure than just hiking. The views of the Upper Fallsalls are jaw dropping while the sunset of the Lower Falls is breathtaking. These are the second largest falls East of the Mississippi next to Niagara Falls with plenty of viewing available as well as a 90+ stair climbs and descent to get almost an armslength from the Upper Falls. There is camping availability at both ends of the park. I prefer the lower falls as it is less crowded even though most of the campground is open sites. The Upper Falls does have a restaurant, brewery and souvenir shop. I suggest keeping your gas tank full given you never know where you may end up site seeing and gas stations are not abundant. If you come from the West you will be fortunate to pass through the Moose capital of Michigan in Newberry, but if your lucky enough you will see one of the parks very own Moose. I suggest making a trip North East of the park taking hwy123 East to N.Whitefish Point Rd up to the Great Lakes Shipwrecked Museum. This is somewhat of a tourist trap but a sight to see and abundant information and history. The bell from the famous Edmund Fitzgerald sits in the museum and with Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" playing in the background give you a sense of erienes. If your up for a little more adventure pass up to the Northwest and hit CR 412 and check out Crisp Point Light house. I suggest a 4 wheel drive vehicle as it is a lot of dirt and bumps, but if your into light houses you won't be disappointed with the sight and story of this beauty! There are many more lighthouses in the area but this one is special.