About Lake Cumberland State Park

This recreation area is part of Lake Cumberland

Lake Cumberland State Park is located in Kentucky
7 Reviews of Lake Cumberland State Park
Awesome campground

Stayed 3 nights with my granddaughter and we had a wonderful time. Perfect size for our Range Runner mini camper.

Decent at best

15 mph speed limit and above average traffic through campground. No speedbumps so folks fly. Very dangerous. Lots of kids riding bikes but folks still drive too fast. Take an extra power cord. Electric and water are laid out poorly and we had to purchase an extra cord. There were a few really nice spots with decks built but not the best layout for campers. Small sites if you have large camper. Plenty of trees so it was comfortable camping. Bath houses were clean and easy to get to from any site. Very friendly staff. Firewood purchased from them wasn't any good. Some was green and some was rotten. Put-Put golf near campground was fun and affordable. They also have 1 50 amp cord and 1 30 amp cord at the store you can borrow if you get there quick enough.

Nice facilities! Awesome restaurant!

We tent camped in August. The campground area was huge and perfect for tent camping or an RV. We were next to the restroom building which also served as a storm shelter. The restrooms were air conditioned and very clean! The only negative thing I have to say about the site is the fire ring needed to be cleaned out. The Rowena Landing restaurant had a good buffet and excellent catfish! The pool was closed for repairs and that was disappointing. The country store was very close and offered a small selection of foods, but most everything you would need for your campsite. The mini golf was fun, but there was a little flooding on the course due to a crazy storm the day before. Everyone was very nice and this felt like a safe place to be. The lake was crazy beautiful and worth going out on to see.

Wonderful state park

This is a larger state park that includes a restaurant, golf course, pool, etc. but also some nice trails to enjoy the natural beauty of the area. The Cumberland State Scenic Trail is the local long trail, which can be access from the park. This park is close to town, the highway, and some other natural areas. The campground includes a number of similar loops, all wooded, nice and modern with the typical state park amenities. Cabins are available too They also have a moderate backpacking trail that we didn’t try, but would be perfect for first-time backpackers (since you can shower and eat at a buffet afterwards).

Yay: kayak and boat rentals. Something for everyone. Love the bridge over the water.

Nay: parts can be a little crowded, a little expensive.

Surprise: the on site restaurant is quite fancy---we went to an elegant wedding here and stayed for camping. They have a weekend buffet with rather fancy food and great quality. Also check out nearby Rock Island State Park for surreal waterfall swimming.

Dyrt Ranger Campground and Product Review.

Campground Review: Lake Cumberland State Park did not make my list. While reviewing campgrounds for The Dyrt I have been keeping a list of places I definitely want to revisit in the future. Lake Cumberland State Park is nice and offers a lot but it didn't WOW ! Me like several other parks have.

The campground was maintained but sorely in need of some TLC on the branch roads/ turnarounds and actual sites. It is a very used campground , doesn't feel Rustic, just rundown.

That being said the staff was very helpful and informative. The park does offer a lot to do, disc golf, miniature golf, hiking, biking and all the water sports. There is a marina and Lodge with nice views of the lake from the rooms. Indoor pool at the Lodge and a restaurant.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I Review outdoor products while camping. I reviewed the High Hopes Hammock while at Lake Cumberland. The hammock is easy to set up and can be used as a seat as well as a comfy napping spot. There is plenty of material that stretches wide and can be wrapped and velcroed in place. Myself and my three dogs were in the hammock at one time, no issue with the weight and their claws caused no damage. I like the compact all in one bag that you stuff it into with the straps. I love the companies initiative of every hammock sold, one is given to a homeless person. I got a hammock for my daughter and am considering them as Christmas presents for several people on my list.

More trails..

Lake Cumberland State Resort Park is right outside Jamestown, Ky. Easily accessible and on the way to or from Daniel Boone National Forest.

First there are plenty of things to do. A large Marina on the lake gives you options on your mode of travel to get to the park. The Lodge offers some sweet views of the lake from the rooms and overlook. There are tennis courts, disc golf, miniature golf and a horse stable.

The campground is midsize. But be aware that if you have a larger rig you aren't getting in any of the "branches" of the campground. That being said there are plenty of tent sites.

Two drawbacks for me, there is only one trail an approximately 4 mile loop with some okay overlooks and semi strenuous terrain. And two the campground is loud. The noise from the marina carries and the other campers while I was there were very noisy late into the night.

great for families

We took a trip here with my older parents and chose to stay in the lodge for the added amenities. We did drive around the campground area though for future reference and were not sad about our choice to stay in the lodge. The campground has 3 separate areas all smaller but the sites are similar throughout- simple, not secluded, and probably better for RV campers than tent camping. The highlight of the park for us was the disc golf course. There were a couple hiking trails that were nice as well. I didn’t choose to horseback ride but the reviews from our family were positive. This is a nice park with tons of little features that make it great for a family with all ages.