About Virgin River
9 Reviews of Virgin River
Closed until aug 31 2019

Closed from April 8 - August 31 2019

Day Use Or A Night Under The Stars

On your way from Vegas to Zion there is a very short stretch of Arizona you pass though and if you blink you near miss this area. But when you stop and take a closer look you will find that there is a pretty cool campground at the Virgin River perfect for a short getaway on your way.

I stumbled upon this space completely by accident. I was taking a turn thinking I might find some gas and instead found a campground with very reasonable rates (only $8).

When I first pulled down the long gravel road I was starting to get a little concerned then I noticed an opening to the river and nearby a structure which I discovered was a flush toilet bathroom.

I was intrigued how I had never known this place was here because it seemed to be quite an established little campground.

Sites had wide open views of the skies and the mountains surrounding. They each had fire rings and picnic tables. All in all very impressed with this little desert oasis. Some areas were covered pavilions great for use for any group. Sites were spread about in a way that did not feel cramped in any way and it really felt like a stay here would be one of relaxing, even if you did have neighbors.

Because I wasn't prepared to have even found this site I wasn't expecting to camp, so instead I hung out at the grounds for a while and enjoyed the calm of the waters through the day use area. I checked out the kiosks with information and made a mental note of how nice this site would be on another trip this way. I for sure will return to this area after enjoying the day use area so much and seeing how nice the grounds were.

There are actually 2

This review is for the Lower Campground. The desert scenery is beautiful in this canyon, and you can hike down to the river, which you're going to want to do if you are there between March and late October because, well, its Arizona. I the late fall through early spring, this is a very nice place to camp without freezing. Sunrise and sunset cast beautiful light onto the canyon walls

Pretty hot

Just off freeway. Flush toilets. Fresh water. Nice river hike. Neat views

Virgin River Canyon Campground, Mohave County, AZ

Ranger Review: Renogy Tactical Water Microfilter at Virgin River Canyon Campground, Mohave County, AZ

CAMPGROUND REVIEW

Virgin River Canyon Campground is included in the Virgin River Recreational Area, located in Mohave County, AZ between Mesquite, NV and St George, UT. This is a low-budget BLM campground, with low-budget fees: $8.00/night and only $90/month. There is one bathroom facility, serving 77 campsites (all first-come, first-served). There is no electrical or waste dump hook ups, but the sites are level & paved, with fire rings, BBQ grills, and some shaded picnic tables. Drinking water is available, but inconveniently accessible.

At the Virgin River: https://youtu.be/lmCrLxCTMfI

Views are very nice, and the area is notoriously windy, but luckily we had a wind-free morning for our product review! 3 Stars

PRODUCT REVIEW

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. While camping at Virgin River Canyon Campground, we tested the Renogy Tactical Water Microfilter (aka Renogy Outdoor Portable Water Filter).

Camping near the Virgin River was the perfect place to review this super handy, and potentially life-saving, piece of outdoor equipment. At first glance, the Virgin River looks like a swift current of muddy brown muck! With a closer look, that's exactly what it is! It's so thick with silt, it's hard to imagine any living creature drinking from this river. However…with a few quick pumps on the Renogy Tactical Water Microfilter, that's just what we did, lol!

We came prepared with a container for collecting the river water, and an empty bottle for filtered water collection. The container of river water was ladened with silt, but we could see in time the silt would settle. However, for the purposes of testing, we didn't wait!

With the weighted-end hose dipping into the brown river water, we immediately pumped CLEAN & CLEAR water into the water bottle. Astonished doesn't begin to describe our surprise! Then… we drank it! No boiling, no purifying tablets, no chemicals, no waiting, just straight from the Tactical Water Microfilter to our bellies. Believe it or not, the filtered river water tasted surprisingly pure! We are happy to report that hours later we felt great, with absolutely no gastrointestinal issues whatsoever!

We trust the Renogy brand, and we trusted its claim to remove 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (colibacilus & legionella) and 99.99% of protozosn cysts (such as Giadia and Cryptosporidium). It also filters particles and microorganisms down to a 0.1 micron level, and has a capacity of up to 792 gallons (3000 liters) with a fast flow rate of 600 ml per minute.

The Renogy Tactical Water Microfilter is made with durable aluminum, with a metal pumping shaft. It's compact (about 5.5"), lightweight (about .5 lb). The carbon filter is easy to remove, easy to back flush (to remove silt & dirt), and easy to replace when needed. A drawstring bag made of soft material is provided for good ventiventilation.

Here's a video of our review:  https://youtu.be/Z0r9KwmFjTU

Overall, we are very impressed with Renogy's Tactical Water Microfilter. We are llooking forward to using it in the future! 5 Stars

Arizona windy strip

After taking the Cedar Pocket exit on I-15, I was shocked to see not one other person camped at this huge and very convenient campground tucked in between the walls of the Virgin River Canyon. I realized immediately that it may have been because the canyon was way too windy. At about 3 am the wind became too much and the tent was almost flying out from under our bodies. The sound was so loud that we didn't fall back asleep until 5 am. The campground is very conveniently located off of the highway and is in a beautiful canyon but also very windy if you just have a tent.

Clean-Convenint

Great place to spend the night just off highway. Restrooms are modern and clean.

Soft and cool

Soft sand with awesome wildlife. Good for hiking and chilling

Beautiful spot in the desert!

We needed a place to stay the night before Zion and I happened upon this gem in the desert. We arrived at midnight so it was a little bit disorienting, but we finally found a spot and set up for the night. The night sky was so beautiful with the moon and stars! There aren't any lights around the campground so on a night with no moon, I'm sure you could see EVERYTHING. Upon waking, my husband and I were very impressed by the views! They were stunning! The downfall to this campground is that there is VERY little privacy and it appears that some people can stay permanently, which is a bit off putting. The site next to ours had a camper that appeared to have been there for quite some time and there was litter surrounding it. I was sad that we were in such a hurry to get to Zion (1 1/2 hrs away) because I guess there is a very beautiful hike along the Virgin River. Next time I guess.