The best BOAT IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Linn Camping Reviews
Clean trails and beach

The lake offers great relaxation and the trails around the lake offer pretty views. Only wish that there were more trails available because it’s so beautiful in that area!!!

Nice!

Super friendly camp host. He met us and drove us to the camp park because it was so dark. Spacious sites, and he is making amazing improvements to the park. Beautiful river setting.

Not too impressed

Just stayed here for one night with our 5th wheel when traveling home. I wasn’t too impressed. I thought it was expensive. The site was difficult to back into because everything was so narrow. I like to have a little bit of space when camping, but there were tent campers all around us. My surgeguard shut off the power in the evening due to high voltage. It was showing 137 volts at one time. I was not impressed and most likely won’t be back.

Large Family-Friendly Campground

Bulltown Campground offers a couple hundred spaces, multiple playgrounds, and clean restrooms on the edge of Burnsville Lake, managed by the U-S Army Corps of Engineers. This area is popular for camping, boating, swimming, hiking, and hunting during the deer season.
     It was a beautiful place to camp in the month of October with the fall leaf colors reflected on the surface of the lake. I imagine it could be a bit of zoo during the peak summer months because nearly ever camper in the off-season arrived in a sizeable RV with dogs, children or both.
     Loop A and B are closed in the off-season and all other spaces are first-come, first serve. There’s a self-serve kiosk where you check-in and pay with cash or check. The bulletin board was loaded with lots of helpful posts, including a “boil water” warning on the night I was there.
     I was camping in my van and found a nice shady spot next to Burnsville Lake where I easily dropped my kayak into the water for a peaceful paddle. I was parked next to a group of hunters who bagged a couple of does during the bow season. I imagine the gun season could get a bit noisy. Wear orange, or bright colors if you’re hiking outside the “safety zone” during WV’s hunting season .  The 2020 bow season runs from September 26th to December 31st. The buck firearm season runs from November 23rd to December 6th.
     I particularly enjoyed visiting the nearby Bulltown Historic District, which is the location of a Civil Battle War battle where Confederate and Union soldiers fought to control a critical supply route, including a covered bridge over the Little Kanawha River. You can check out historic structures on the site and hike to the top of the hill where the Union soldiers ultimately withstood the Confederate attack. Pre-covid, there was a reenactment of the battle every other October. I picked up a map for the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike Trail, but found the more remote sections of the trail poorly marked. I didn’t see any official parking lots or trail markers, but I did see a lot of “private property” signs, so I was hesitant to accidentally trespass on a local landowner’s property. I’m guessing some of the access points may have been wiped out by pipeline construction… another reason not to anger the locals who may not be happy with this “invasion.”

Quit and very Covid specious

My parents took me and my sister to Audra every summer and wks at a time and camping in a tent,it was the best memories i have as a child and yes im now 42,fulltime grandma of 4yr old axel w austism, i have worked m.j y butt off w him 2yrs straight to get his fits calmed down..yes he has had 1since last oct and that is because i figured out what was triggering them but so proud of him..i him..I wanted to take grandson sonewhere where ppl are friendly and say hi to axel where felt cummy and not get upset and hide…my neice  ended uo going last mth,she invited us up to test axel out because this b a huge thing for him to do..oh my Aurda was still beautiful, clean, ppl so nice,there was no camp site available so we stayed till 7pm and went home..def a place to take kids w disabilities, ppl understand, do not stare and its alot of fun for kids,quit,gorgeous place to camp..wish they had a site open and it be kool to win a few days of camping..

Nice stay on a busy weekend

Even though we didn’t get a waterfront site, we did get a nice site #119. Very secluded and quiet. Walking distance to the marina where there is a nice general store. Super friendly . Boat rentals available . Nice getaway in a beautiful part of the country.

A nice but busy place

We went mid-july and it was packed o dont rhink you could really get a campsite unless you've reserved one and don't go off the pictures on the website for the sites, they don't do it justice. We stayed on what seemed to be more of a buddy site with a couple others in the middle of the campground. Site 54. Other than being extremely busy it was a nice campground right by a beautiful river that is easy to get to and swim or fish in. It has a cute playground and some good hiking trails. It's known for a board walk that has amazing views. All in all I would probably go again and just pick a different site

Not worth the trip, Racoons, sloped sites

If you’re looking for a place to camp in West Virginia, don’t even bother with this campground, head over to Audra State park instead.

We generally love most camping experiences and make it work, but this one was so bad we left 3 days early. When I kindly called to cancel, the nice Park ranger said he completely understood and would actually refund us for our entire trip (which we didn’t even mention or ask for).

The only good things about this campground were the friendly staff and the updated bathrooms.

Almost all sites are walk-ups, which is NOT noted on their site. Also, almost all sites are on a hill. The pictures do not accurately show this. We had site 33 (probably the worst site). The entire site was on a slant and covered in rocks, I tried to capture it in a picture, but it just doesn’t look as slanted as it feels when you are standing there. There was no flat spot for our 10 x 20 tent, so we had to sleep on an angle. (I felt like I was falling out of bed the whole night!) 33 should NOT be a site.

There is a HUGE raccoon problem here, even during the day. I wish we were warned ahead of time. Many people bring an extra tent to keep their food in. Our dog barked the entire night as the racoons kept coming up to our site and even our tent. At one point they even put holes in the outside of our $300 tent!! The next day we tried to make the best of our trip and decided to check out the lake. We had left our cooler and a couple small Rubbermaid bins of food on the table while we headed down for an hour. The car was far and incredibly hot during the day, and we didn’t want to give them any incentive to go after our tent again, so we had no other option. While we were gone the raccoons tore open our cooler, ate some of our food, and scattered the rest of our food and water in the woods. (This is probably why there is so much food that can been seen scattered near the campsites).

The lake was pretty but there was a ton trash all around it, such a shame. I had to pick up a bunch of pieces of glass on the shore of the campground so my dog wouldn’t get hurt. You technically aren’t allowed to swim in the non-beach/swimming area unless you are jumping off a boat, but people were doing it anyway. You cannot bring dogs in the designated swimming area.

While the bathrooms were nice they are a very far walk from any of the shaded/non-electric sites, and you are not permitted to drive up to them. There are only 2 showers. Both were kept clean but had 100’s of little green bugs and a ton of months and mosquitos on the. To get to the bathrooms you must park at the top of the hill and walk down (not a big deal for us, but may be for some).

The electric sites have no shade or privacy, and they are all on top of each other.

Great for dog owners, and swimming

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this campground! We came here because we were looking for a place where we could swim with our dog. Dogs must be on a leash at all times!

Most sites are great (spacious, shady, trees between your site and the next, each have a picnic table, bench, and fire pit), the bathrooms were eh (the only reason this was 4 stars instead of 5), but fine, there are washer and dryers on site, it wasn’t buggy, the staff was very helpful, it was quiet in the morning and at night, and the sites were all close to the water even if they didn’t have water access.

You can swim/wade in the main area with the crowd, swim /wade at the campground via a river access point if you want to only see a couple people, or get a river access site if you want to be alone (aside from the occasionally person floating down the river in a tube). Most parts of the water are very shallow so you can wade or float. Make sure to bring water shoes!

There are many hiking trails nearby (we hiked one along the water and then jumped in with our dog to cool off).

There is no reception, however the park office does have free wifi. There is a small store nearby where you can buy milk, eggs, canned goods, ice cream, etc.

Great Place

Great views, a lot of activities on the resort property, Clean amenities and nice lake views from the campground. All of the sites are well kept and I would most definitely return to this campground.