the dyrt
Accoville, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Accoville Camping Reviews
Secluded Riverside campsite

Tucked away by the river past Thurmond. Great secluded sites. Trailhead for hiking from camp. A bit of a drive to visit any of the sites around New River but worth it to be away from it all. 6 sites all walk-in first come first serve. We were there in fall so no crowds at all. primitive, beautiful, and, a hidden gem

Something for everyone

The campground and general area is beautiful with a welcoming vibe. It can get a little crowded in the campground at certain times due to holidays but it's not hard to lose the crowd. Everyone is always extremely kind and treat you like family. The list of activities is almost endless……. boating, fishing and anything else you can do on the lake, trails in every direction, secluded spots on and off the lake for picnics, camping or whatever, stargazing, pool, wildlife everywhere, games and general activities at the campground, community center, dam, parks, and it's really close to town in case you want to check it out. Make sure you check out the Jenny Wiley theater if you can, they are beyond talented.

Rugged and Beautiful!!

One of my favorite places to visit, camp, and hike!! Its gorgeous Appalachia with hikes ranging from casual strolls to very difficult. This park offers all of the amenities, full hookup if you want it or primitive tent sites, a nice lodge and restaurant, horseback riding, and zip lines!!! One of the camp hosts, Teddy, was super friendly and helpful with anything we needed. I LOVE The Breaks Park!!!

Awesome first night

It has tent and RV camping. The managers are really nice and you’re not that far way from several attractions. Some really great beer places close by as well. Nice a shady too. I’d like to go back and do some exploring around the area. Just be careful with what gps app you use. Mine took me an interesting route that ended in someone’s drive way.

Roadside

Its called roadside for reason. It ok for 1 or 2 nights. The bathrooms locked at night no showers. It is on river nice playground and across street from restraints and stores

So-so, "roughing it" at different levels ... but be prepared for anything!

I lived in the Dewey Lake-JWSP area with family members, until 2002. Currently, I live about 10-15 minutes away from JWSP and visit the park at least once a month, depending on the weather. If you want to mix up your trip besides going camping or doing any recreational activities: Jenny Wiley Theater, mid June-early August, Outdoor Theater, (kinda like Summer Stock); Theme or special dinners at the Lodge, (mostly on weekends), year round; the community/ state park swimming pool is currently being "refurbished" and will be reopening, (hopefully) in Summer 2019. And, speaking of recreation, you can "hit the links" at the Stone Crest Golf Course, nearby.

But, as for other recreational activities: there's bike riding, hiking, boating: recreational, travel, kayaking and fishing types. If you want to do any horseback riding, you have to bring your own horse and gear, but contact the JWSP office first on where you can ride your horse. Better yet, you can take about a 30 minute drive from the Lodge to the German Bridge Campground area up Cow Creek, which is also in the Dewey Lake area, Contact the Dewey Lake US Army Corps of Engineers for more details, (in other words, Google it). Plus, there are picnic shelters in different areas of JWSP, some of them right next to Dewey Lake.

Now, as for camping, you have 3 type choices… #1. reserving a cabin near the Lodge, (and Dewey's, the local "watering hole"), kinda like "glamping", but it's rougher. (BTW, this area and the Lodge are the best places for getting a cell phone signal). #2. RV (Recreational Vehicle) Camping. There is a RV camping site not far from where I used to live, but from my personal experience, call the JWSP office at least 2 weeks in advance before the date you plan to use the site to see if there is going to be anything available on the dates you want, before making your reservation. First come, first served! #3. A. There are tent campsites next to Dewey Lake in various areas around the lake accessible by boat only, which are overseen by the Corps of Engineers, contact them or the JWSP office. Best place in my opinion: Campsite near the Dewey Dam/ Spillway Area. B. Other Outdoor Camping: Contact the Corps of Engineers or the Park Ranger's at JWSP. If you want to see some wildlife also, contact the local KY State Fish & Wildlife office that handles JWSP and Dewey Lake.

But there's some stuff I've learned over the years living and camping in this area, that I think you must know, some of this you might have run into on other camping trips at other parks…

1. DO NOT DRINK THE WATER FROM THIS LAKE… AND DON'T SWIM IN IT EITHER!
  2. FISH AT YOUR OWN RISK,,, CATCH & RELEASE! (Personally, I'd go to a pay lake).
  3. FCC LICENCE 2-WAY EMERGENCY RADIO (I prefer the Motorola ones, (white & red, also has a NOAA Weather Radio and FM Radio), you can get a brand new one for between $40-$60. The FCC Licence is currently $70, the feds do a background check on you, if you get the licence, it lasts 10 years).
  4. BEAR MACE - A BIG CAN OF IT! Not only do you have the Black Bears to deal with, you have the Coyotes too!
  5. IF YOU ARE AT A LAKESIDE CAMPING SITE, HAVE A LIFE JACKET ON AT ALL TIMES! You might fall into the water by accident or you may have to jump into the lake at night in case of emergency!

And last, but not least…

6. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE A MOTORBOAT! NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ON THE BOAT! EVERY PERSON ON BOARD MUST BE WEARING A LIFE JACKET! The Fish & Wildlife officers do surprise checks on the recreational boats to see if the rules are being followed… if they aren't following the rules… you may have to pay a fine and/or do some time!

Nice campground - great for climbers especially!

This is a very well thought out campground and is a great option for climbers visiting the area. each site has a wooden tent platform (10'x10') to set up on, which is a huge plus since the ground is so uneven throughout. Each site has a picnic table and a parking space as well.

There aren't group sites available, but whoever in our group was organizing managed to get multiple sites next to each other, which was nice.

We ended up doing all of our cooking and eating in the big covered communal porch on the shower house with lights and big kitchen sinks for cleaning up as it was a very rainy weekend. It's handy to be able to cut through from the lower to the upper sites on little foot trails to get to the common areas.

Showers are quarter operated but I was too much of a cheapskate to partake. But the facilities were clean!

Close to home

I have stayed at this park numerous times, in tents and camper. The history of the area is really interesting and if you're lucky enough to talk with the park manager he'll be happy to give you a little house coal history. I've heard rumor however that the park is losing funding. Great hiking and biking trails. Loved going through the creek!

Quiet country setting close to town

Kanawha State Forest is a great place close enough to town if you need something but situated in a nice quiet country setting surrounded by a beautiful forest. Camping offers electric and water at most sites with a couple nice bathhouses. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. There is a public pool with reasonable rates and great food, small areas to fish, a free shooting range and tons of hiking trails. There is a horse stable but we did not visit it. The kids loved wading and rafting in the creek and the playground areas.

Relaxing area

Plum Orchard Lake is a wildlife management area with rustic tent and camper sites. You do need to obtain a permit from the manager. This is a beautiful area with plenty of fishing and hiking areas within a 20 mile radius or so. The trees are a beautiful array of color - greens, reds and yellows. The lake is good for swimming but you’re welcome to bring your boat, kayak or canoe too. We took a couple day trips around too. We were able to see deer, raccoons and some nice looking birds.

Top of the world

beautiful mountain top camping at Ace! peaceful, spacious and unmatched scenery. hiking trails all over the mountain and a fun water park a the end. waterpark is a bit overpriced but fun none the less.

definitely recommend - shower houses are clean and have good water pressure!

hidden jewel

on the hill! this park was great. it was rainy so they moved us to this great spot on the hill. nice bathhouse even though not clean at the time. it is isolated with tight hairpin turn so I wouldn't recommend anything over 28'. they have a nice target range and trails

Beautiful, close to home

KSF is absolutely gorgeous! Whether you are taking a day trip for hiking or staying a few days, it is absolutely one of my favorite places to be.

Quiet and park-like camping and with many adventures during the day.

The Mountain Top Campground was quite nice. Most of the sites have shade but if it had been crowded there’s a few that don’t have any. The trees were great for hammocks! They have a picnic bench, fire ring and garbage can at each site.

There were six private bathrooms with showers in each, one was handicap accessible. They have an outside “kitchen” sink by bathrooms for filling up water and washing dishes. We brought our own gear but they do have sites with tents already set up.

Lastly, the Adventures they have available are many. The main one is the Lake with multiple giant anchored inflatables to play on for all ages. Others include white water rafting (day trips and overnighters), ziplines, mud course, biking and more.

We had a blast at the lake and rafting! Beautiful area as well.

Fun resort with activities for everyone

Such a fun place to stay! The sites are up on top of a mountain side, so you will need a dependable vehicle to get up to your site. They are nice sites, providing a picnic table and fire ring. Nearby are showers and restrooms. They have individual rooms that can be locked that has the restroom in with the shower stall. Lots of biking and equestrian trails available. On the campground there is disc golf and then a lake for swimming that has the huge inflatable courses on it (think like the game show wipeout) you can buy a day pass for a reasonable price to play on them all day. Through the campground you can go whitewater rafting and zip lining. We had a blast going whitewater rafting. The staff there is so freindly and nice. Hope we get the chance to go again some day! Near by is a beautiful hiking trail that is a must! It's called the Endless Wall Trail, it's a 2.4 mile loop that follows along the New River Gorge about halfway through it is a diamond peak, a spot that offers breath taking views of the Gorge. This trails has lots of lots and stones so make sure you wear proper footwear. Another pretty spot is Canyon Rim Boardwalk, it has lots of steps to get to but it's a very pretty overlook!

Great place for retreat

Just off I-77, but the interstate is barely audible from this great no-frills campground.

Great location

We stayed here in a trailer for 3 nights. The location is great. It is right on the river and is very pretty. You can fish right from your site. The owner is very nice and will go out of her way to help make your stay a good one. It is walking distance from a grocery store which was very convenient. The bathrooms and showers were OK. The site and overall campground was a bit rundown, and needed some maintenance, but the river view made up for it. I would definitely return.

Well maintained, helpful staff, fun activities

My Scout troop has travelled here twice from NJ on the way to Girl Scout Jamboree. We love it here! Great staff, well maintained camping area, lots of amenities, clean facilities (showers with lots of hot water). In the woods, but near enough to civilization (pizza). We will definitely stay here again!

Needs Help

State park that needs a lot of TLC.

A Work in Progress

This is a quiet campground, with lots of space and site options, run independently by a family. Most sites are simple with just a picnic table and fire pit. There are lots of trees in between many of the sites for great privacy. There is only one bath house and it can be a short hike depending on the location of your site, but it was clean, had several stalls, showers, sinks and electricity.

The campground charges per person which was different from what I'm used to, but it was very reasonable and comparable to other campgrounds in the area.

The family is working regularly to add to this campground and make it better. There are visible works in progress all over. The owner stopped us on the way out and asked for feedback. He is eager to make improvements.

Dog-friendly

Has a Frisbee/Disc Golf Course.

Close to rivers, climbing and hiking activities.

Cell reception was great all throughout this area. That's not a camping necessity for us, but we all noticed that everyone's phone had great reception with a variety of network providers. We do a lot of remote camping and expect our phones not to have reception. This made it easy to research new activities and things to see while we were there.

My apologies for not having photos of our site. My phone malfunctioned on this trip and had to be replaced. The photos did not transfer sadly.

A Work in Progress

Dog-friendly

Has a Frisbee/Disc Golf Course.

Close to rivers, climbing and hiking activities.

My apologies for not having photos. My phone malfunctioned on this trip and had to be replaced. The photos did not transfer sadly.

Great!!

we just used this park for a night stop over on our return trip from SC. Beautiful park.Had water and electric. fairly level gravel sites. Dump site was a little different. Had to make a uturn to get in to dump. I’d like to go back and spend some more time there.

Very nice!

Very nice! In close proximity of hiking, sights, white water rafting, cold beers, food & music!

great owner who was very helpful

the campground is bigger than it appears as there are multiple places to camp on one site, it is a primitive campground so don't come looking to hook up to electricity, very family friendly and good for dogs as well, close to several river access points

Tent camped family of 4

We stayed over the Fourth Holiday for our first time at this campground. I can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. Our site was spacious and shaded. We had just electric hookup for our tent. Park was well kept and clean. Shower houses were well maintained daily throughout the week, however not on weekends when it tends to be most crowded. Shower houses had been recently updated which was nice for a state park. I’ve been to others that were outdated but still clean. They picked up trash daily from the cans that had screw-on lids. Nice outdoor and indooor pools right down the road in the park. Beautiful views. Lots of places to bike ride for my family of young kids (4 & 8). They also had a nicely updated park for the kids to play. My only complaint is that the camp store did not keep their ice cream stocked. When we asked for two days, we were told someone is at the store now or someone will go this evening. We plan to make this our annual Fourth camping spot from now on!

Great place for families.

If you’re looking for a great game park with lots of activities for kids/families, you can‘t go wrong with Pipestem. AmenItIes Include horseback riding, two pools, an r/c car track, aerial tram rIdes, and dIsc golf.

Beautiful Campground

Love this place!

Lovely valley surrounded by mountians

This campground offers a handful of trails easy to moderate. Pretty lake with ducks everywhere, as well as geese. Saw many deer through out our stay, even some beaters. Bathhouse is nice and laundry one spot. Oh and it was butterfly maiting season. There is also a creek that runs along the nature trail, which is a super shot walk, that was perfect for walking through or wading in the water. Although the further you get up steam from the lake the cleaner it gets, and bring water shoes there was a decent amount of glass.

By far my favorite place I've ever stayed at

Kanawha state forest campgrounds are top on my list of where I have stayed in the past. Tucked away in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by the constant reminder of wildlife around. I stayed for the very start of spring. The world was covered in the brightest green moss. The state park is not allowed to clear fallen trees unless they are in a road way or hazardous, this left many mossy green logs to lay across the mountains. This time of year was also perfect for the many overlook trails offered. Every single trail was more than what we expected. The staff members were extremely nice and accommodating. As long as you don't mind about being away from your cell reception during your stay, this place is highly recommened