Fremont, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Fremont Camping Reviews
Great layover

Pull through spots that make overnight, or even a couple day, stays very easy. Full hook ups. Clean. Even though just off the highway, very quiet. Easy access to amenities and provisions if required, or preferred. Affordable.

Great campground!

We spent one night here in April. It was great!

There are some pretty easy hiking trails, great for kids. Really beautiful wooded area. The campground was everything you could ask for! Large, level sites that are very secluded and far apart from each other. Bathrooms were clean and well situated. Very family-friendly!

We want to come back soon!

Awesome trails

Haven't camped here but the trails are long and from easy to moderate. A bit packed on the weekends but if you go early it's easy to get parking

Only been here one time

I have only visited this campground one time & I did not stay the night! There is lots of space to walk and play, ride bikes, etc. There is a really nice pool with a store up front and they have cabins from what I remember. I would go back again IF I didn’t already live in the surrounding area lol

Nice

Stayed here a few times for over nighters. Nice big sites nice pool area friendly people

Nice camp great for mountain bikes

Nice sites and great for mountain bikers

Decent

Stayed the weekend of the airshow, quiet and accessible to the BX/Commissary but CAC ID required for campground and other base amenities. We also enjoy the gym and bowling alley, planning to come back to see movies at the base theatre. All are of these are pretty close to the campground. Improvements I recommend: -Allow patrons to make reservations, first come first serve has deterred us in the past and likely others.

• the campground would benefit to have a playground
  • some of the cleaning/maintenance seemed to be neglected, our sewer drain had an issue and it did not seem to be a new problem.

The price is good though, with that in mind I'd say that it's a decent/average military campground.

Meh

The list begins. Camp sites were alright but this place is more for RVs. Hiking was not bad but not very many miles. Outside the park was sketchy so make sure you have all you need.

Very Nice

Very well kept! Just stayed the night.

Beautiful Family Spot

Wonderful place! We took the kayaks and camped for the 3 day weekend. It cost a bit more than expected and the beach area closed at 1800, which we had five kids, so that was a bummer. That is my only complaint. I wish we knew if the area without electricity cost as much. We never used the electric anyway.

Great Spot

Primitive camping has drive in, picnic table, fire ring, tent spot, and trails starting at your back door ⛺️

Fishing Oriented

We stayed at Tranters Creek while we visited Greenville NC for a graduation. The campground was 20-30 minutes from the college so it was an ideal place to stay. There seems to be a lot of permanent type campers set up there and most of the campers seem to be there to fish. The campground itself was clean. The bathrooms were also clean and stocked. Since we were there in early May there wasn't a lot going on but we did stop by the campground yard sale. Overall there doesn't seem to be much to do unless you fish. There is a pier but they don't sell bait at the campground store and you must have a fishing license.

OH! Make sure you adhere to the speed limit!

Pretty pleasant

This was my first visit, I plan on going back so I will update as I learn more about this site. There are RV and primativr sites. They are literally right next to each other. The RV sites have power and water hookups, fire pit, and picnic table at each site. The RV sited are also numbered. The primitive sites are not so well kept. They are not clearly marked and no dedicated fire pits. There is a little highway noise pollution, but not terrible. There is a free onsite dumpster. Fires are allowed. I had alcohol one night without any hassle. Showers/restrooms available on site are free. You pay by the day (in cash or check) at the Nature Center (during banking hours Mon-Thurs I believe). Prices are fair ($10 primitive site and $20 RV site). Campsite is riverfront (keep in mind for the bugs). I didn't see or hear much wildlife aside from an owl, a rat snake, and one good sized spider. Campgrounds are pretty clean. There is a large communal fire pit with plenty of seating and little private-ish decks overlooking the river. There is free wifi. Multiple people had their pets with them. Good cell phone reception with Verizon.

Pretty pleasant

This was my first visit, I plan on going back so I will update as I learn more about this site. There are RV and primativr sites. They are literally right next to each other. The RV sites have power and water hookups, fire pit, and picnic table at each site. The RV sited are also numbered. The primitive sites are not so well kept. The are not clearly marked and no dedicated fire pits. There is a little highway noise pollution, but not terrible. There is a free onsite dumpster. Fires are allowed. Showers/restrooms available on site are free. You pay by the day (in cash or check) at the Nature Center (during banking hours Mon-Thurs I believe). Prices are fair. Campsite is riverfront (keep in mind for the bugs). I didn't see or hear much wildlife aside from an owl, a rat snake, and one good sized spider. Campgrounds are pretty clean. There is a large communal fire pit with plenty of seating and little private-ish decks overlooking the river.

Nice place for the family

I will start the review by saying KOA is not my favorite. That being said. This was nice for the kids. They liked the pool and other activities. It is in the middle of a bunch of farm fields though. Not much nature around if that is what you like.

Amazing paths

Love this place! Lots of great paths to walk.

Closest RV sites to downtown Raleigh

We needed to stop in Raleigh for the night and stayed here. It's quiet and huge and full hookups for $30/night. Call the number when you get close and the attendant will meet you to show you to your spot. There are 30 and 50 amp spots. I went for a jog around the fairgrounds; it's sprawling.

Very nice place

Big sites, easy accessibility, close to I-95.

Great Experience

We failed to call before closing! Took a chance and stopped anyway. No answer at the after hours phone number! A Huge Thank You To Paul & Linda who were out on their golf cart and stopped, made a call, let us in and showed us where to park. A very nice park, well maintained, all the sites were clean and had excellent shower facilities.

Amazing canpground/park

This was my first time hiking with my teen daughter by ourselves, setting up camp, tent, cooking, etc. Picnic table, fire pit w/grill, level gravel tent pad on site, water spigot and trash can right in front of camp site. Bath house had doors for shower stalls as opposed to curtains, with shelves and hooks for your things. We brought our furbabies with us and we enjoyed 2 or 3 wonderful trails with beautiful views, some rock climbing, just a wonderfully happy place. My girl rode her bike around the campground and it was perfectly safe. I've been waiting to get back for quite a while.

Small State Park with a View from the Cliffs

Although the family campground is closed until autumn, I recently stayed at this state park and have stayed at it many times before. It doesn't have as many amenities as more developed campgrounds, but there is plenty to do. For example, there are about 3-4 miles of hiking trails, one that takes you beside the 90-foot cliffs overlooking the Neuse River. There is a small nature center that describes the history and geographical features of the area. During the summer, you can swim or rent canoes and paddle boats. You can fish at the river or in the lake. Since this state park is in the middle of the country, the sounds of nature are interrupted only by occasional jets flying overhead from the nearby air force base. There is also a large picnic area adjacent to one of the parking lots. The biggest draw of this park, obviously, is the cliff view, but if you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere, this is a great place to camp.

Small Campground for Fishing, Kayaking, and Relaxing in a Country Setting

If you are looking for a small campground miles away from a big city, this is it. Although it is not a large campground, there are several things to do if you like fishing, canoeing/paddling, swimming (during the summer), and hiking. You can rent peddle boats and canoes, or you can launch your own, including jon boats. Boat motors are not permitted except for trolling motors, but it doesn't take much to get around the 69-acre lake. There are at least three islands in the lake and quite a few coves for finding a great fishing spot. There is a 2.2 mile trail that circles the lake, a playground for younger children, a picnic shelter, and two bath houses. The bath houses have concrete floors, but they have hot water showers. One drawback about the showers is that they are push button showers, meaning that you have to push the button repeatedly during your shower. There are two types of camping at this campground. In one area, there are sites that have water and/or electricity. The other area has primitive sites with only picnic tables and fire rings. At night, you will hear geese, which doesn't bother me but will bother some. Another drawback are the sounds of traffic coming from the distant highway and the occasional sounds of military jets flying overhead since this campground is centrally located between U.S. Marine and U.S. Air Force bases. Despite the negatives about this campground, I love it. I have camped here over a dozen times, sometimes with the Boy Scouts and sometimes with friends and family. The campground seems to have a laid back atmosphere, and the staff are friendly.

Urban hiking

This park offers miles of hiking within Raleigh. You would never realize you were in Raleigh. It’s a great escape from traffic and noise a city can bring.

Lots of Great Hiking Trails!

This campground is beautiful for fall camping. There are over 10 miles of trails to hike. We also conoed down the creek. The creek is about 2.5 miles long and took us only 2 hours to paddle. The campground was also very clean!

Great campground!

No cell service! 😀 Clean restrooms, hot showers! Camp host and rangers are great!

Convenient to home

Nice place for a quick weekend getaway.

Morden campsites, great setup

Updated campsites. Nice setup. Didn't stay long enough to comment more

Quiet and easy to find. Staff friendly and helpful. Lots good size

Nice park. It’s not a park with a lot of amenities. No pool, or put put or anything like that.

Beautiful vistas, group sites close together

View was gorgeous and hikes were beautiful in hard wood forest. Park was crowded, lots of cigarette butts and noisy camp neighbors. Toilets in good repair and minor flooding during rain.