The best WALK IN camping near
Charter Oak , MISSOURI

Most Recent Charter Oak Camping Reviews
4 Star Now - Soon to be 5

Not sure what the backstory of this campground was, but Josh took over in April and you can tell he has put a lot of work into fixing it up.

We stayed in a cabin. We don’t stay in many cabins - usually in an RTT - so I can’t compare what is typical. The weather was wet and windy and we were in the middle of travel days - so we needed a warm, dry, no fuss place to stay. So for us it was just fine. Plus, Josh was great getting us in last minute.

I think the cabins are well suited for a fish camp type stay, but if you are traveling with someone who will be bothered by beat up appliances and bare bones bathroom, this won’t be to their liking.

Next time I stay we will opt for the campsites, which look to be level and better spaced than a lot of campgrounds. Shade varies from spot to spot, with some lacking any.

I’ll also make sure I have a MO fishing license, because I’d love to cast a line here. For people bringing a boat, there is a boat ramp and marina docks and fuel.

Josh seems to take a lot of pride in the place and given more time, I am sure this campground will continue to get even better.

The Mark Twain Forest is a great setting, too, but our dawn departure pictures didn’t really turn out.

Lots of green space and large trees!

My husband and I stayed a night in one of their cabins on our way home from TX.  We let Josh know when we were getting close because it was much later than we had planned.  He had a bonfire waiting for us right outside our cabin!  The cabin was great!  Anything we needed was supplied.  And the birds nesting across the lake were an added bonus! We will be going back for sure.

Quiet, dark, clean, well-kept with easy water access & big campsites.

The Holliday Landing is your fishing paradise, crappie & catfish everywhere on this side of the lake.

They have a marina & gas on the dock, which was helpful and larger spaces than we normally have. They offer firewood, ice & bait and have monthly rates for campgrounds which is hard to find.

Clean, friendly and always the right choice

I love this campground! Josh and Karl are the most friendly hosts. They’ll go out of their way to make sure your stay is wonderful. The cabins are clean, the  marina is well-ran, and the updates to the camp are definitely noticeable. 10/10 will stay here again!

Gorgeous in the Fall

My group and I camped in two of the basic sites in Asher Creek campground and we couldn’t get enough of the front-row lake view! The sites closest to the lake are very level, and everyone in the campground is only a short walk from the cleanest park restrooms I’ve ever seen. If you’re like me and are just doing basic tent camping, I’d recommend a pop-up canopy for the table area since there is not a lot of tree cover in those sites. Overall, an excellent place to camp!

Beautiful and peaceful

We had a quiet RV site with electric. Many of the sites also have water but not ours. Shaded area. Lake is more of a swamp with cypress trees, very pretty. Showers dated but clean. They are multiple stalls.

Of note, there is not much around in the way of stores. We managed to find one small grocery store. The town of Cairo is a ghost town but Ft. Defiance is worth seeing.

Amazing

Gorgeous place big beautiful cypress and tupelo trees. Shaded spots and laid back atmosphere. The park workers do a amazing job at upkeep.

Beautiful campground

The sites are large and have a big concrete pad attached to the drive. Lots of bike/walking trails. We were in the very back of the campground and it was quiet. The only thing missing was somewhere to swim or sit in the water. Lots of water there, but nowhere to sit in the river or lake.

Best campground

Best campground we have been to.

Wandering

Lake Wappapello SP is a refreshing little get away. We took a girls weekend in the fall and enjoyed the trails and fall foliage…which was mostly already on the ground. The lake, though to cold to enjoy , was beautiful. We followed a wandering trail around the edge which was interesting to attempt to follow due to the leaves on the ground. There are two campgrounds, one is closed for the season. The other had nice size sites with facilities. I like the separate “patio” with cooking and dining area. Needless to say it was quiet, off season leaves the area empty. There are a lot of things to see in the area and Lake Wappapello is a nice base to travel from or you can stay at the lake exclusively and enjoy water sports and hiking.