Bloomsdale , MISSOURI

Most Recent Bloomsdale Camping Reviews
Huge!

Very large, open place with the river close to most campers. I never floated here but I'm sure it's quite the party!

Best campsite in Missouri!

This place is awesome! It was our second overnight backpacking trip we did! We started on beautiful pickle creek trail which is rock scramble right beside a awesome clear water creek bumbling over big rocks! Then we hit whispering pines trail and stayed at campsite 5! It is about 5-6 miles in. Perfect campsite a creek on each side with waterfalls on each one!! We finished the trail the next day right at 12 miles! Be sure to arrive early as the parking lots and campsites fill up fast!! Absolutely stunning trail for Missouri!!

Walk-Ins Perfect for Social Distancing

We spent the weekend at WI513, wagons are provided as the trail is hilly. Camp site has wooden pads due to terrain, and depending on which campsite you’re in, bathroom and shower facilities are nearby and kept very clean. General store on site has provisions, firewood, and free WiFi. Nearby Shut-ins is in the day use are beautiful, great for a dip on a hot day. However those who wish to continue practicing social distancing should skip the dip and stick to the miles of beautiful trails.

Enthusiasts rejoice!

Are you a person who enjoys the outdoors more than the couch? Do you thrive in medium/tough hikes where the possible main cause of death is by "neck chaffing due to skin stickyness?" Do fetid sauna-temperatured bathrooms and nightly raccoon raids tickle your camping funny bone? Then this location is for you!

We are looking at 12 first, honor, come first served sites, with 2 larger special use ones.

The flora is rich and thick, with good shade on all sites. The drawback is the amount of poison ivy, so be careful.

Trash hooks are provided for all campsites but you'll need to take the trash out when you leave, as there's no collection. FURTHERMORE, many of the hooks are 4x4 posts which raccoons can easily climb, so you'll need to be proactive and put it all in your car. No bears, in my experience, are in the area so that should not be a big deal. Also, don’t forget to put all the food in the car as well as the little pests will tear through anything that is left behind-they’ve once stole one of my Olights, leaving only the butt and the battery behind.

Great for tent as well as hammocks. I've done both and, by far, the second it the way to go. Make sure that the site is free from the possibility of deadfalls, which happens all over. The dept of conservation does a good job cutting the dangerous trees but, sometimes, sh*t happens… Good fire rings with grates, as well as picnic tables are provided.

Fauna is everywhere! This is a great base for you to go out birding. I've found animals from Luna Moths to Copperheads in the surrounding areas. There is a very small pond in between all the sites. The noise at night is ABSOLUTELY deafening-I Love it! If this was the 60's and frogs were musicians, the place should be named Woodstock.

There's "drinkable" water on site but I would boil it, filter, and have it blessed before consuming it, if I were you…although that will not improve the taste of your instant coffee, sorry.

Temperatures are often manageable, especially at night as the place tends to fluctuate within 20 degrees between midday and 10pm- it's quite nice.

Mosquitoes are a nonsense that can be easily avoided by you not being a dummy and, 1. not camping next to the pond, 2. applying repellent.

This is one of my favorite sites in Missouri. Even if all sites are to be taken you'd still feel that there is enough space between you and the sucker next door. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for my next post,"Mina Sauk Spigot."

Walk-In

Beautiful site, each walk-in was spread apart from each other. We loved it and cannot wait to go back.

Book Early

Love this small campground and the creekside campsites, but spots are very hard to get in the warmer months. We went the other day for a hike and wrote down our favorite numbers, so hopefully we can plan a little more in advance and get a good one. Hawn overall has excellent hiking and is a good family day trip or overnight. It's also fairly close to Farmington should you need anything. Ice and firewood is available at the campground.

Awesome Winter Cabin

So in the winter we can't stay away from the state parks and Johnson Shut Ins is a perfect base to explore the area when it is too cold to tent camp with kids. We got a camper cabin in the first weekend of December and brought our two dogs. The campground is mostly empty this time of year. The showerhouses are clean with hot water and there is a friendly host. We bought firewood at a gas station in Arcadia before we got to the park. Of course it was a little wet but burned OK. I wasn't sure if wood was available in the park because of limited facility openings during the offseason. We walked the Shut Ins trail one morning and it was misty and beautiful. No dogs allowed there though. There is some cell service on the cabin loop. My only complaint is other campers, who let their dogs run loose. Obviously not the park's fault. The cabins are clean and very nice with rockers on the front porch. We visited Elephant Rocks also, where dogs are allowed.

Loved it

The views, the views, the views!! After the hiking the campground pales in your thoughts. Primitive sites, in the trees and clean facilities covers it. The hiking though, bring your comfy boots, pack your day bag and bring your snacks and water.

Swanky

Water and electric at every site. Really nice bathrooms with recycle bins. Totally lanscaped.

Other reviews must be old

Let’s start with the good. The outhouses were clean and it was pretty cheap. Ok,on to all of the not so great. The trails were VERY unkept and there was poison ivy at nearly every step, the entry map shows a beach- there might have been 5 years ago but now absolutely nothing that even resembled a place to swim. If I hadn’t been tricked into thinking it was a decent campground, I might not have been as disappointed but we were looking for a specific type of camping experience and this place failed to meet even the lowest of expectations.