Ashland, MISSISSIPPI

Most Recent Ashland Camping Reviews
OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Could be better

It’s location in proximity to Tupelo is awesome. The showers are nice and clean. 90% of the sites are shaded. The price is high. Especially for a place that can’t keep the WiFi active.

Still in the city

Close to several amenities, but not really camping. Welcome to Memphis (technically Cordova, but we still.got the crime.) Shelby farms is a great park, one of the largest city parks in the US; you're close, but it's still city. If camping here, it's 5-6 miles off I40, and I'd just use it as a quick overnight (if tent camping) Some RVs stay here for quite a while. Note if you're coming during a festival ( Delta Fair, Corn Maze for Halloween, etc) you'll have congestion and noise.

Ranger Review: Grub Stick Deluxe Kit at Chickasaw Rustic State Park

Campground Review:

On Friday, August 23, 2019 my son Charlie and I camped at Chickasaw State Park to celebrate his ninth birthday. We couldn’t have found a better park than this one. It reminds me of the classic summer camps I saw on television as a kid: beautiful lake, horses, stables, paddle boats and canoes, and even a well maintained swimming hole. They even have three birds of prey on display for visitors to enjoy. From our arrival to the moment we left, the rangers and staff made us feel welcomed and safe. Ranger Brittany helped me find the perfect site and even checked in later to make sure that we were completely satisfied with the spot. Who wouldn’t be? The campsite was located right on Lake Placid in the middle of almost 15,000 acres of state forest. Each campsite in the tent campground had a new picnic table, a fire ring, access to potable water, and a grill. Our campsite, number 109, was located right next to a large handicapped parking spot that is big enough for a very large handicapped van. The parking spot was constructed on level ground with concrete. Campsite 109 was far away from the bathroom, but the trail to it was beautiful and made even the most hasty trip pleasant walking. Campsite 109 also had easy access to the pier which spans the width of the lake. My son and I enjoyed walking out into the middle of the lake and seeing the expanse of the Milky Way(what a treat!). There’s great firewood for sale at the stables for$6.00 a box. This is the best campfire wood I’ve ever purchased. It burned slow and steady leaving us enough to pass on to one of our neighbors the next morning. I would suggest spending at least two nights here. We only spent one, and my son and I didn’t want to leave. There’s so much we didn’t get to see and do at this park. This place is a real gem. I’ll guarantee that you will feel like you’re back at summer camp. By the way, don’t forget to bring a good lantern or flashlight with you: you will need it since many of the trails to the bathroom and out to the pier are very dark at night. This just helps you to see the stars better.

………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test some of the latest and coolest camping products on the market. On my camping trip to Chickasaw, my son and I tried out the Grub Stick Deluxe Kit. What a fun way to cook over a campfire! In my kit I received two telescopic poles which have well made attachments such as the Grub Cage, Grub Fork, Burg Cage, and Grub Tube that attach to the end of the telescopic poles.

We used the Burg Cage for supper and it made awesome burgers. They had that perfect campfire flavor. My son enjoyed getting to cook his own food rather than waiting for dad to cook it on the grill. The handles are very comfortable to hold, and they were just the right size for my son’s smaller hands. The whole time he was using it, I kept hearing wows. It’s great when a company makes a camping product that engages children in cooking. The Grub Stick does just that.

The kit also came with special grips like the finger grabber and the hot pad to help open and close the cages and other attachments. You can really tell that the makers of the Grub Stick thought of everything when they were designing this.

One of the things that was really fun was the Grub Cage. It left me wondering,“where have you been all my life?” Instead of building the S’more AFTER roasting the marshmallow on a stick, you build it in the cage and toast the whole thing. I think this is the way the S’more was always meant to be. Everything, including the graham crackers, oozes with sugary, toasty goodness.

For breakfast, we used the Grub Tube and wrapped it with bacon and croissant rolls. It was as good as it sounds. As I was cooking, I kept thinking of other things that could be cooked over the fire using this kit. I’m excited to have it in my cooking kit now, and I see us using this quite often especially on those winter camping trips when we want to stay close to the fire.

Overall, this is a great product for engaging kids in camping. The Grub Stick will allow my kids to come up with their own recipes, put them together on their own, and then try them out on the fire. They love being a part of the cooking part of camping, and the Grub Stick is the perfect tool for this.

I did have an issue with one of the telescopic handles. After cooking three burgers, one of the telescopic handles broke. I contacted customer service, and they went above my expectations to not only replace it but to help me understand their product even more. Most people expect things to be returned with“no questions asked,” but this isn’t how Grub Stick operates. They asked for pictures and a description of the failure so they can make sure their product gets better and better. I wouldn’t hesitate at all to order more from this company. It’s great when people not only believe in their product but also stand by it and are always looking for ways to improve it. They sent a replacement immediately, and I can’t wait to get this back out in the field.

Not my kind of campground

First, it was impossible to find it. Took about two hours. My gps had me get off highway at wrong exit and then I didn’t know which intersection of 7 and 4 the campground was at. There are two. The area is really pretty, but I didn’t stay the night and just gave up my reservation. There was a sign out front saying that payment was required in the folder at the front but I payed online. That already confused me. No gate, no person at the front. Didn’t seem like the safest area to me either. I was driving trying to find my campsite and then I started itching. A mosquito had gotten in in that 30 seconds I had the window down. Campsite was basically dirt with gullies on the side so it was hard to back out. Trash all near table and fire pit. Swarms of bugs were already attacking my car before I could even stop. I didn’t even walk in the bathrooms to see what they were like. Might be good for day use because the trails looked nice from the road.

Nice, quiet campground

Campground was great and had hot showers free to both primitive site($7) and hookup site ($20) campers. The lake was gorgeous with a winding, unpaved bike trail that was really fun on mountain bikes! We didn’t try, but I bet fishing would be great here.

The only problem we had was the trash leftover by the previous campers. The fire pit was full of half-burnt garbage. Pick up after yourselves people!

Overall very quiet, peaceful Thursday night.

Nice and quiet

Older state park that could use some TLC, but it was peaceful and quiet. The bathrooms were clean and stocked. We were only able to spend a little time at the lake as we were in the area for a family gathering, in New Albany, so spent the bulk of our weekend away from the park. Friendly front gate staff. We would definitely stay here again.

Quiet stay

Had a comfortable night in a cabin. Cabin was warm & had everything we needed. Will stay here again if we’re in the area.

Beautiful Setting

Beautiful southern Tennessee setting. Bathrooms didn’t appear to have been cleaned while we were there. Checking the facilities every few hours would be a priority on a holiday weekend but evidently it wasn’t.

Clean and safe

Very well kept basic RV Park.  Well maintained and very safe place to stay.  If your going to Graceland stay here before staying at Graceland RV Park.  You'll be much more relaxed at night.

Isolated

This is a beautiful area in the woods next to a lake. Has electric and water, no sewer. Bathrooms are not kept up, dirty and no lights in the showers. Pretty isolated, very few campers here. This could be a wonderful camping area, bathrooms need improvement!!

Nice place!

We stay here pretty often and it’s a popular place. Especially in the summer! Park is clean and well maintained.

This place is a ghost town. Half

Half of the park is abandoned/closed down and only one bath house is up and running. The few spots they do have are taken up by gigantic big rigs that don’t need the bathrooms so it’s terribly set up. The Ranger will try to bamboozle you into staying there when you are looking for the park next door (Hernando Point-Oak Grove).

Country campground

This campground was renovated over the last year and there appears to be a few things left to be done but overall a nice, pleasant escape from town. Be prepared to have a drive to town for provisions & restaurants. There bathhouses have a lot left to be desired but the sites are all paved with fire rings, grills & picnic tables. Most sites appear to be fairly level.

Newly renovated

Nice level campsites with white rock. Primitive camping, no water or electric. Not big enough for RVs. Nice bathrooms, excellent showers.

Very pretty with lots of hiking trails and a lake for fishing.

Clean, family friendly resort

This was our first time to ever hook-up our Class A RV and I'm afraid this place may have set the bar HIGH. This place was so clean & quiet, we wished we could have stayed longer. There were several playgrounds my son enjoyed & we had a blast doing the scavenger hunt. We were too early in the season for the blow-up slides but we definitely plan on coming back to enjoy those. They have pedal bikes you can rent (must have closed toed shoes), tetherball, a pavilion, a pond where you can feed the fish… I couldn't get over how clean this place was. The guy at the desk/shop was very friendly. I thought the price was high ($70/night) but when we got there, it made more sense.

Nice and quiet (if you're not staying on the Equine/ATV loop)

The road leading to the park could be improved a bit but it wasn't too bad. The park was nice and clean and the loop we stayed on was kept up pretty well. Sites were nice and level and it's hard to beat full hookups for the price!

The bathrooms were obviously older but still kept clean.

The lake had been drained at some point for repairs and it's still very low. There's not a whole lot to do in the park unless you bring horses or an ATV. Great place for a nice quiet getaway.

The neat thing is there's actually a special camping loop just for those that do have horses and ATVs, and it keeps the noise away from everyone else.

There's not a ton to do in nearby Tupelo but we did have a nice dinner at Harvey's, The zoo seemed rather expensive for its size.

Easy access.

It is a trailer park that also has RV spots, it is clean but campers are close together, no campfire spot. Lots of long term campers.

Needs some work

Trace State Park near Tupelo, MS. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The road in is in terrible shape, the lake is missing, the levy being worked on. They have horse, ATV and mountain bike trails which are in okay shape but could use some TLC. There are rental cabins and the store is limited to souvenir type merchandise and disc’s.

The staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. You have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

There is Disc golf, fishing, and currently limited water sports.We used the multipurpose room and a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby with Elvis’s birthplace. In addition there are several recreation areas to visit on the Natchez Trace with historical information and trails to explore.

Where’s the lake ?

Ranger review: RoM Outdoors RoM Pack at Trace State Park, Tupelo, Mississippi

Campground Review: I took the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway from Tennessee down into Mississippi and exited near Tupelo to continue into Trace State Park for a camping event I was attending over the weekend. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The park itself needs some work. Recent cuts from the state have left the park in need of road work and the levy repair is taking a while to complete according to locals. Where we camped the lake was dry and full of weeds. You could tell by the shoreline that it would be possible to anchor your water craft very near your campsite in several locations once it is refilled with water.

That being said the staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. The spacing between sites is good too, you have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

Disc golf, multi-use trails, fishing, currently limited water sports.

After set up our group met in the multipurpose room and then congregated to a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby and I visited Elvis’s birthplace , “Scarlet’s Donuts”(maple bacon donuts, and tamales) and an excellent BBQ place “Clays House of Pig”. So if you like to sneak to town while camping this is a nice area for it. There are thrift and antique stores close too.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I recently received a RoM Outdoors  RoM Pack https://romoutdoors.com/ to use , abuse and review while camping. I explored one of the three main trails in Trace SP. The trails are multi-use (ie. ATV, Horse, Dirt bike, Hikers) so pay attention to the signs and be aware of the area. We hiked 4.5 miles. The first thing you will notice about the RoMPack is that it has some weight to it (4.6 lbs)even empty. This is due to the outer water resistant material and the inner, soft, insulated material. There are two detachable bags, and a smaller inner pack to carry them in when you remove them to transform your pack into……a hooded poncho or ground cover , cool idea!

So obviously this is not an overnight type backpack or something a fast packer would use. It is however a versatile option for day hikes, visits to the park or sporting events and I used it to pack my Dachshund when he was done hiking ;)

I haven’t attempted to attach a hydration bladder and decided to just place my entire hydration pack into the main area of the RoM Pack. This works in two ways. First if I don’t need the poncho/blanket I have my hydration in easy reach. Second if I do use the poncho/blanket my hydration pack fits fine under the inner pack on my back with poncho over that.

Definitely practice folding and unfolding the poncho/blanket . I had my usual dysfunction , just like with the hiking maps, I got it unfolded and user ready but then had issues putting it back into its original folded configuration. I eventually got it back together. There is a video on their site to make it easier. Just remember it will get faster with muscle memory over time.

Once again this is not a pack I would use for extended deep woods adventures. It’s great for your day hikes with the kids, concert in the park or hike into a picnic spot, would work for hunting too.

Pro’s: All in one (ie, carry pack, two secure bags, blanket/poncho, inner pack, Molle straps to add other accessories)

Water resistant outer shell

Soft warm inner lining

Durable material

Well made

Con’s: Heavy

Limited packing space( the large middle pocket is gone when you unfold it)

Not for overnight/deep woods(technically not a con, not the concept of the bag)

This will be my go to bag when adventuring with my grandkids. I would/will suggest this pack to friends with specific uses in mind. There are currently three color options and several other products to explore on the ROM Outdoors site

RV Only, Like RV RV

I checked into this park while looking for a place to stay in Memphis, it was a very secure facility right on the state line of Mississippi and Tennessee and it appeared to have good reviews so I wanted to see if they offered tent camping since I had seen nothing about that. I arrived and the staff was very friendly however they were also very thorough in stating it was RVs only.

I went ahead and told them I am a ranger for the Dyrt and also a travel blogger and was interested in passing on the knowledge to other campers potentially looking in the area and they took me on a tour bragging on the facilities which had spacious road that were fully paved and well maintained. The restrooms were large and equipped for handicapped accessibility and there was a neighborhood vibe about this location.

Spaces were a little close together but it seemed as though most of the people here were retirees in larger rigs who didn't want the responsibility of having a lot of space in their immediate "yard". They offer nightly rates along with weekly and monthly however I believe that most are taking advantage of the monthly.

The person giving me the tour, the campground host, did mention that a lot of people misunderstand their RV policy and come in with pop ups or teardrops and those usually are not acceptable. So that s a major thing to know when coming here, you must be in a RV as defined by these standards.

I noticed that the site was incredibly clean. They offered additional storage for sports equipment and other items, a rec center and office and for each site both cable and wifi are available.

All in all this park was great, but not allowing tents or certain types of RVs did knock it down a few notch simply because not everyone would be able to take advantage of this site. I was overall happy to have checked it out for my fellow travelers and maybe one day when I RV across America I will be able to visit again.

Check Out The Official Website Or Make Reservations

Primitive camping at it’s best! Newly renovated sites!

The sites at this park are beautiful and it’s been one of my favorite camping spots for as long as I can remember. The new renovations make it top notch. If they added electric and water hookups, this place would be booked solid! Nice clean bath house. Very friendly staff and ranger. Great hiking! Canoe and kayak rentals available, but beware of stumps. Beautiful scenery and wildlife abounds. Planning to revisit in November or December and take advantage of a warmer than usual weekend.

Great Location

This park is in a part of Shelby Farms Park which is a 4,500 acres of lakes, bike and running trails, playgrounds and so much more. The park also has plenty of events to keep you entertained. And, there are bison!! The RV park has a farmers market that has a pretty good selection of local fruits,veggies and your normal farmer market fare. Super close to Memphis and what the city and surrounding suburbs have to offer. Seriously, there is no way to ever get bored here. There us always some event, concert, play, bar, sport, etc… always! Nitty Gritty: the laundry room is small and hot with old machines. The bathrooms are ok. And, there are no trees where the RV's are to keep you cool. These three reasons are the only reason why I didn't rate this park a 5.

Shade!!!!!

It’s a nice camp ground … pleasant hosts… nice pool… and there is shade. After chasing a heat wave in a teardrop with no ac (an issue I plan to fix before next season) this was a great relief. Additionally, they have a delivery menu that includes bbq done in house that is pretty good.

Nice campground!

Really nice campground on Bay Springs Lake. The majority of the sites have some view of water and the lakefront sites are plentiful. Sites 55-81 are not close to the water and have less shade. However, they are first come first serve instead of reservations. We stayed on site 124 and really liked that loop. Bathrooms are clean, but no AC, so they are a little muggy. I would recommend avoiding sites that back up to the basketball courts unless you have younger kids and are fine with the noise level. They appear to have upgraded the sites recently with fresh gravel and concrete borders, so that was very nice! . The lake is nice and clean with tons of coves. Lots of people using their kayaks as well as fishing boats and pontoons. It was neat to watch the barges go by. Next trip i want to watch one go through the locks! . Amenities: Fire pits, picnic tables, lantern post, grills, Bathrooms w/showers, laundry facility, multiple playgrounds and basketball courts, boat ramp, fish cleaning station, fishing pier, volleyball court, amphitheater, swim beach (seasonal).

Nice and Peaceful

We spent an afternoon here exploring and checking into the campground for future stays. It’s an older, rustic campground and the age shows. However, if you are looking for a peaceful, private campground, this is it. The bathrooms are old, but clean. I’m leery of old bathrooms, but I can make this one work. The lake is great for fishing and has two piers to use, plus a small boat launch. there is no swimming in this lake. Rumor has it that there is Walleye fish in this lake! Looking forward to staying here in a couple of weeks to see if we can catch one!

Other activities include frisbee golf, hiking trail, two playgrounds, volleyball and a large day use area.

Short Term CampGround

This campground is clean and the managers are nice, but it is not a campground you stay at for its amenities.  It is a good location to see all the sights in Memphis or to stay a night or two.  There are also several workers who stay there when certain events are in town.

Just beautiful

This is one of the favorites of all the places we have stayed. It was beautiful and so clean. The hosts were friendly. We had an issue with the electric hookup and they had maintenance workers to is within 20 minutes. The facilities and trails are very well maintained and the sites are well spaces enough that you can have some quiet and privacy. ** PLEASE NOTE: The lake has been drained due to levee issues and some rebuild of the levee and dam. It will be empty for the foreseeable future so there is no water here. That info was not made clear when we made the reservation. ** We still enjoyed our short stay here.