The best WALK IN camping near
Hardinsburg , INDIANA

Most Recent Hardinsburg Camping Reviews
Peaceful tent camping.

In Hoosier National Forest. Clean, quiet, uncrowded. Friendly manager.

Great campground but some sites not level

This was the second and third time we stayed at Brown County. This time we stayed in Buffalo Loop sites 95 and 93. First - about site 95. We have a 21’ RV/van and we just barely fit in the site - take their length limits seriously. This site only has 20 amp power, so make sure you have an adapter if you need 30/50 hookups. The site is NOT level. Usually with our van we don’t need to worry, but in this site we used our leveling ramps and probably could have used more. Looking at the other sites on this side of the loop, they all look like they would need leveling if you’re in an RV. Site 93 is more level and is private (RV/car will block only neighbor). This campground has very convenient dump stations right by the loop.

Good camping

Privately owned, nice camp grounds, store, playground, half court basketball, heated pool and small fishing pond, I enjoyed staying here, friendly staff and guest, I made a few friends there

Beautiful Campground

We stayed in the Buffalo Ridge loop on a Tuesday night in early Dec. The area is beautiful and the campground was mostly empty. We stayed in site 94 which is completely set apart from the other sites. The site was very level and easy to back into. There is a trail right behind the site - great if you want easy access to a hike, but may be annoying if other people walk through your site to get to the trail. There is a VERY clean toilet right across from this site. Would definitely stay here again! Site 93 was also nice - neighbors only on one side (which would be blocked from fire pit area if you’re driving an RV).

Great Place!

Can't believe this place was free. It was nearly empty (although it was the end of November). The hiking was fantastic and the few people camping there were very well dispersed and all respectful.

100% will camp here again!

Loved it

Really enjoyed this park. Beautiful lake views. Staggered sites so everyone has space and views. The walk around the lake is lovely. No WiFi but they said the are having it installed. T-Mobile had good service.

Our Very First Night In A RV

This place could do no wrong (we all remember our first time, right?). The staff were very kind and helpful. Propane filling is not intuitive. Very pretty campground.

Not for us

As soon as we exited the highway we were struggling to see though the immense cloud of smoke that was building bigger denser as we approached the park. We quickly learned that this was from all of the camp fires in the park, it was then we realized that this park was a small city.
The Pro’s - they have every amenity you can think of for everyone including the family dog. The park is located in a cute town with a deep Christmas theme. You will meet a lot of people most of which were great. Bathrooms and other related areas were very clean and well maintained. Daily trash pick up. AT&T cell signal was good.
The Con’s - There are people every where and it appeared that many of them did not know they were in a family camp while consumed beer after beer cussing at there friends and family while playing there inappropriate music very loud (I’m not saying I think they shouldn’t be able to do this its just seemed out of place in a town themed after Christmas, and in a park called Rudolph lake with a heavy focus on families. I think the park can do a better job of controlling this). The electrical at our site was not working properly and we had to run off of a 110 plug we found. The smoke at night was a little hard on the lungs. There is Wifi but it was virtually un-usable.

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!

Cute lakes, paddlable but not swimmable. Nice camp hosts.

When we stayed here it was like 100 degrees.  Our camp host was so sweet and gave us a box fan to use (there is electrical) so that we could have some relief from the heat.

Our camp site was nice and private yet close to a bathroom.  The bathroom, even though vaulted, was kept very clean.

The lakes are pretty and we were able to explore with our paddle boards, but I wouldn't necessarily swim there.

We liked this pretty campsite.

We had cellular reception so we were able to work and stream music.  :)

There were these cute little lizards that roamed our campground.  Didn't expect to see those.  They are harmless, and probably eat the mosquitos, so we liked them.