Kingtown , ALABAMA

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Kingtown Camping Reviews
Small site close to parking area

This is the first (or last) site you will pass coming from or going to the Sipsey River Trailhead off of Cranal Road. It is only a short walk down the trail on the right side and is a small clearing with an established fire pit. Nothing special about this site except how close it is to the parking which would work nicely if you get a late start. There is a small cave a little further back from the trail but people have left a lot of trash here. There is easy access to the river for water and the site is high enough up to be safe from flooding. Overall I would recommend continuing on to better sites further down the trail but this will work in a pinch.

Nice clearing along the water

This is a small but well-cleared site that would work well for a small group. Check out my other reviews in the area for a better overview of the hiking in Sipsey. This site has an established fire pit and easy access to (purifiable) water.

Leave no trace

I really enjoy backpacking Bankhead National Forest. We camped about 1 mile in at an existing fire ring. Beautiful water color!! Cool trees and rock formations.

Decent spot on the lake

Camped here on Christmas Day 2020. It was very quiet and a little windy. I was the only camper but it’s on a disc golf course so I saw a couple of those guys. I went down to the parking lot so I could sleep in my car and have a fire by the water. It was great and quiet except there are parking lot lights which I didn’t see until they turned on. There are picnic tables, trash cans, and portable toilets. All in all a nice spot. I had Verizon and I think I had two bars of service. There’s also a spot a little east off an unmarked dirt road which was ok and had a fire pit. I checked it out but there was just too much litter and a half eaten deer carcass which I wasn’t vibing with.

Rustic

I believe this campground is known as the Wolfpen Hunt Camp on the Bankhead National Forest website. This was basically a forest road with dispersed camping. If there are toilets and water we never saw them. Just off the main road there is a loop and people were camping in the clearing of the loop. We drove further down the forest road and found a clearing near the dead end and set up camp. It was lovely and peaceful but no amenities at all. It is free though and no issues with other people.

Great Tennessee State Park

Stayed in Pin Oak Campground. Large sites nicely spaced. Full hook ups. Senior discount. Will handle tents to big rigs. Beautiful lake view. Friendly people. Bath house nice and clean. Long nice drive back to campground cell services very weak. Long trip back for supplies come prepared.

Very Pretty, Very Remote

We enjoyed our time here but there are some things to know about this park. Most importantly, there is a special way to get into this park. They have a low bridge right outside of their park that prevents you from getting here the easy way. The bridge is at 12ft if I remember correctly, it is too low for most 5th wheels and many class As.

The park is located along the Natchez Trace and it is a great spot to stay if you’re wanting to explore the history, hikes, and waterfalls.

The campground has a pool, lots of activities, campfire rings, and it is a great way to just enjoy being at a campground.

The park does not have good TMobile or AT&T and other campers stated that Verizon is ok but not streamable.

The park has a variety of types of sites, some are full hookup, some are not. The park looks like it is in the middle of expansion but not actively being worked on (2019).

They have a pool, lots of activities, great clubhouses, and large sites. There are many seasonal or more permanent RVs, that have occupied the sites with the best views. Large mature trees in this campground make many of the sites really pretty and shaded.

The roads throughout the park need some work, there are large pot holes that are difficult to avoid.

Not a bad place to go for the weekend!

This campground is a nice quiet campground. They have about 90 spots for you to camp which includes primitive spots. The campground is very shaded with tall pine trees, for most of the day depending on what site you are on. Most sites have very nice views of the water also. Most sites a spacious and have plenty of room behind them. There’s several RV sites right on the water and all tent sites are on the water. The tent sites didn’t look to level to me but there were some places that I saw that wasn’t bad. All the approved sites had water and electric hook ups, concrete picnic tables that were on a slab so that didn’t move. One downside was no grills or fire rings at the sites. However previous campers had makeshift rings out of rocks that were at several sites and you can make your own so fires are permitted. They did have a couple of bathhouses which had only one shower for each gender. They did not have doors going into them. Water was hot but no pressure. There was a huge open grass area were all the kids would gather and play. To use the lake or go to the beach area that was down the road you had to purchase a BCDA permit for ages 16-65. $3 a day or $10 for 3 day for each individual. There is a play ground at the entrance that has a pavilion, and a basketball court. There’s a boat ramp at the entrance as well. The dump station and garbage dumpsters are at least a 1/4 mile from any of the sites. There is no store to purchase things but there is a Dollar General about a mile from the campground if you need something. This campground is a first come first serve and do not take reservations, but if you call the day of you can pay over the phone to ensure you have a spot. The attendant was very friendly and helpful. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back.

Pin Oak

Large showers and clean restrooms. Spots by the lake are a must.

Lakefront

We stayed in spot 12. Beautiful lakefront location! Electric/water hookup only. Workers were wonderful and place all together is clean and well maintained. I drive through and to be honest there not a bad spot in this KOA! We will visit again.