Wild Meadow , WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Wild Meadow Camping Reviews
Quiet, huge site

Beautiful area, only a few sites. The creek joins the New River here, you can hear the water from the sites.

Best place to unplug and unwind

My grandparents were the camp hosts at this campground for over 10 years so I practically grew up here. It is beautifully tucked in the mountains. No cellphone service, 21 rustic sites (no water/electric), but full of adventure. The bath/shower house is always well kept. There are hiking trails, a swinging foot bridge, picnic shelter, play ground, and 2 beach areas along the creek (known as the “blue hole”). Not to mention, great fishing! The forest rangers are also very friendly.

Great Campground and State Park loop

We followed the signs off the interstate plus our RV GPS and Waze were right on. As we got to the camping areas there was a sign showing the campground names. We were in Whispering Pines CG and it wasn’t on the sign. However, a very short distance further there was a CG to our right and guess what, it was Whispering Pines. So we drove in and the camp host met us and handed us our info package and tags plus told us the basic rules and asked if we had any questions. We then proceeded to back-in site 16 with Water& 50 AMP. The back-in was just okay mostly because we were not on our game. Really nice and spacious sites in this CG. Really didn’t see where one site is better than another. There is a large creek to one side of the big circle CG but none of the sites sit right on the creek. On the creek side of the CG, some sites are just across the CG road from the creek. Another nice feature is that there is a workout area and playground out the back side of the CG, thus those allergic to kids don’t have to worry about being close to the playground. We got 2 bars Verizon and 3 bars AT&T. You are in a valley, so no OTA channels. Once we got towards the main state park area, spotty to no Verizon signal. We hiked the Blue Suck Falls Trail from the main park area. It was a 1.4 mile hike up to the little falls, which was a moderate to difficult hike due to the rocks and very shallow creek crossings encountered on the trail. Its well worth the trip to the Humpback Bridge about 30 minutes away. In our humble opinion, compared to other covered bridges we have seen in our travels its on par with the Bridges of Madison County. Douthat is a great little state park that we would definitely come back to again.

Huge campground

4 separate areas including a waterfront area. Centrally located small pool, food vendor and mini golf. Bring a boat! Full marina as well. Great beach area and boat mooring everywhere. Long trails are fantastic

Great facility, whispering pines is far from lake though.

Stayed here in February 2021 at the Whispering Pines camp. Facilities are great, sites are close but not right on top of each other. Camping pads are as expected from state park. Great off-season camping as we shared the whole grounds with only a few other campers.

Only complaints are Whispering Pines is near enough to the main road that you get a lot of road noise, and the walking path to the lake has un-maintained stream crossings, which is probably ok in summer… but not as fun in winter.

Never stayed. Only ran

The area and cabins looked very cozy and welcoming; however, I didn’t stay in one. We hiked and ran in the trail system on site. Beautiful vistas and great opportunities for many activities.

Car camping

My pup and I car camped here last December and it was wonderful. Limited to no AT&T cell service; however, the park rangers drove through the area about twice a night so I always felt safe and knew I could use their phones if needed.

Wish we had stayed longer

We stopped in one night on our way back to Pennsylvania. We had a lovely stay and the hosts were so hospitable. We purchased firewood and they walked it to our campsite. Our site was plenty large and the concrete pad was perfectly level. It was our last night of the season so we spent a lot of time in the morning cleaning out our gray and black tanks. We are pretty COVID cautious given some health conditions and this campground was very comfortable. I’d love to go back and see more of the areas.

Adventures Abound

My daughter and I had a fabulous stay here. We camped in our tent for 2 nights on the mountaintop. We were able to go whitewater rafting one day and then explored the surrounding area on another day. The resort is awesome. They have cabins and they have hot tubs. We want to go back and stay there sometime. The park has so much to do including trails, swimming, and an awesome water park. The campground is very clean and the staff were very helpful. The surrounding mountajns andvalleys are absolutely beautiful. The New River Gorge Bridge is not too far and I highly recommend going there to see it. This area is gorgeous and shkuld not be missed.

Beautiful Area

We stayed here 4 days and 3 nights in November. We use a teardrop camper so we appreciated the water and electric hookup (although we disconnected the water at night to prevent freezing). The sites are large but there really aren’t trees between sites although we were on a corner and so had some sense of privacy. The bathrooms were incredibly clean and heated. Showers were terrific as well. Staff were kind and knowledgeable. A stream runs beside the campground and the lake, though small, is nice to paddle around in a kayak. We arrived the day after trout stocking and so there were quite a few fishermen in the stream and on the lake. I caught a few large trout in the stream on a fly but it really was a bit like fishing in a barrel. There are many hiking trails nearby with a variety of difficulty. We chose a couple that provided nice views. I imagine it would be a great place for kids.