the dyrt
Baltic, SOUTH DAKOTA
Most Recent Baltic Camping Reviews
Very family oriented

This campground is geared to families with children. They looked like they were having a great time with lots of activities during our overnight stay. It was trick or treat weekend so the park was overflowing. Sites were close without concrete or asphat pads although they are relatively level. If we had known it was trick or treat weekend we would have picked a different park just to avoid congestion. Roads in park were rough with puddles.

Fun weekend!

we had a great weekend at this park! Great hiking trails and water activities!

Small park with great campsites and trails

Bison. Wildflowers. An old quarry.

And that’s about it.

Beautiful park with nice trails… you can hike them all in an afternoon if you’d like.

Highly recommended for a night or two.

Something for everyone!

This state park in eastern SD is a great t place to camp, there are two modern camping areas, a swimming beach several boat launches, handicap accessible fishing dock. There is a a horse trail and trail campsites.

Clean and quiet.

The small lake is nice with a nice beach

Small, but quiet

Or at least on the day I was there. Stayed overnight on a trip toward Minneapolis. I made this a stop so that I could collect a couple of geocaches in the State's Aquatic Challenge. I cached here and one other SP in the vicinity. I was in this park a year ago but, did not camp. It is a beautiful park, near water and generally quiet during the week. Electric sites, water and dump station available at entrance/exit.

Site 20

Beautiful peaceful state park

This is a beautful state park campground. The sites are large and wooded without feeling closed in. There is biking and hiking. I believe you can also fish in the river, but we didn’t try it. The only downside is that their water is contaminated. They provide directions to a city site where you can fill your camper tank, and they give out a gallon of drinking/cooking eater when you check in. At Blue Mounds you can experience the prairie and what it must have been like for early settlers.

Best place ever!

What an amazing place! First time here and will definitely be back! So much stuff to do, especially for kids. Nice shady spots. Very gamy friendly. We took a late checkout just to experience more!

Lots of shade and grass!

We stayed here in a travel trailer. The site was level with lots of shade and grass. Spacious sites,not too close. Our site was along the river but it wasn't easy to access the water from our site. The biking, walking trail was great! Lots of bugs and mosquitoes. It was very quiet here, and the rangers were really nice. We had electricity and could access water close by. Only a long drop toilet nearby, but there were bath houses. There was firewood for sale at the entrance.

City camping near the ball diamonds

This campground is located on the Big Sioux River near the ball diamonds. A train runs often nearby and the quarry does blasting. It’s not especially peaceful with all that going on! They do have a nice bike route along the river though.

Peaceful small town campground

This is a pretty little campground next to a river. Tent sites have a loop in the back and rv sites are along the road. This campground is never full so if you need a spot for a night, this would be a good one to check. Lots of green grass and a nice playground. Many people do some fishing here too.

Nice but pricey

South Dakota charges a day use fee ($6) plus a fee for tent camping ($17); I opted to pay for an Annual Pass of $30 since I plan on doing more SD camping this year. The park had East and West areas, the tent sites (4) are only in the West side. As typical, the more scenic lakeside camping is for RV's, with flushing toilets and showers, but the trade off for privacy and seclusion at the tent site was worth it. Picnic tables have built in sun covers which were really great and with winds I didn't experience any bugs or mosquitoes. There is no tree cover so I enjoyed the night sky. The staff is friendly and helpful. There was only one trail, Otto Stream (no stream, no otters), which is about 1.5m trail thru restored prairie.

Nice, updated facility

The bathrooms are very nice compared to a lot of KOA’s. A/C in buildings, clean, large laundry facility ($2 for 30 minute washer, $0.25 for 10 minutes of dryer), game room, indoor pavilion/storm shelter in case of rain, large dishwashing sink, and lots of available water spigots. There’s lots of RV sites, and a large grassy area for tents randomly spread out. It is right next to I-90 so it’s a bit noisy from that but it’s super easy to get to off the highway!!

A night Sioux Falls

Great accommodation and large RV sites

Pretty but expensive, very crowded

Beautiful sites right on the lake about 30 minutes west of Sioux Falls. Very popular campground, especially on the weekends, so would highly recommend a reservation if you are planning on camping here. There are also cabins available. Stayed on the east loop at a site along the water, which was technically referred to as an electric site (meant for RV's). Had a hard time finding a flat place to put the tent. The sites are very close together. I was not thrilled with the cost of this campground. It was $21 for the site plus a $7 out of state fee, which I paid online. Upon arriving I was told I had to pay an additional entrance fee for the recreation area even though I was only camping, which cost an additional $6/per car ($12 total). All in all it cost me $40 to camp here, which was much more than I would ever want to pay for camping.

Love it

Spacious campsites right by the lake if desired. Plenty of things to do for kids with nice playground areas and hiking trails.

Busy!

Full hookups and entertainment was great, but spots were close together and everything was always full of dust from traffic on the gravel driveways throughout the park. For the price, won’t be going back often.

Unexpectedly amazing

Last August we headed to Blue Mounds to investigate out the SW corner of our state for the first time. We swung through New Ulm on the way there to check out the Schell's brewing company and we also stopped at Laura Ingalls Wilder's Plum Creek to break up the drive from the twin cities. The drive itself got pretty boring on the last half- lots of flat fields and cows. As you get closer to Luverne things start to become more interesting and the town of Luverne itself was an unexpected delight.

Yes, the water currently has e.coli in it. There is a huge alert on the park's page explaining how you can go about accessing water and showers nearby. The $17 rate is the discounted price to reflect the e. coli discount. The main campground is pretty open, some sites have shade, it is a prairie after all. The cart-in campsite offers much more privacy with the grove of trees there. The bathroom facility at the drive-in campground is much nicer than the one for the tipis and cart-in sites.

We spent one night in the tipi (cool experience for $30-$35 a night) and two nights at a cart-in site w-09. Some of the paths to the cart-in sites are not flat and rather long, but ours wasn't bad at all. I would definitely consider staying at that campsite again. I don't think I would necessarily stay in a tipi again unless I could book it on short notice if I knew that the weather was going to be dry and cool. The day before we got there it had rained quit a bit and when we arrived it was HOT. This meant that we got to enjoy our tipi experience with the aroma of hot wet tipi. The tipi floor is a platform made out of manufactured deck boards that keep you off the ground. The tipi itself isn't nearly as critter-proof as a tent. We wound up packing up our belongings and putting them in our car between leaving the tipi and moving into our campsite since we wanted to go check out the local area before we could check into our next site and somehow a garter snake got transported out of the tipi in our belongings and into our car- awesome haha.

The park was flooded a few years back which washed out a quite a bit- the lake that used to be there is now gone and just overgrown with plants. Most of the park is dedicated to the bison, so hiking opportunities are kind of limited. There are a ton of bison, but you either get to see them or you don't unless you go on one of their bison tours. They were present by the fence twice while we were there. There is pretty much a large trail loop with another large loop that swings off of that. Bring a wide-brimmed hat and tons of sun screen, not much tree cover on the trails. The one visitor center located in the southern portion of the park appeared to be permanently closed.

Luverne was cool. There are tons of historic houses and next time I'm out there I'll spend some time driving through neighborhoods to check them out. There is a basic grocery store off of Main Street for anything that you may need to pick up. I kind of wish that we had gone out to eat in town more because of how great the food was. Sterling's was delicious and much more upscale than anything I expected to find out there, the local Buffalo Sweat beer was great enough that I tried to find it at the local liquor store before I left. Showers are available at the Luverne aquatic center for free.

Overall I really enjoyed my experience and I look forward to my next trip out there, whenever that may be. If you are coming from the Twin Cities make sure to hit up Schells and Laura Ingalls Wilder's Plum Creek homestead like I mentioned above. Nearby side trips are Pipestone, Touch the Sky prairie, and Jeffers Petroglyphs

Fantastic campsites right by the lake. The sites themselves seem a little small and closer together than I would prefer but was a great experience!

Short but sweet stay!

Only stayed one night, but very nice campground! Nice sites and everything was very clean and well kept!!

Good Campground Decent Hiking

There isn’t a lot to choose from around the Sioux Falls area. There are plenty of trails and clean restrooms to use. Overall we really like this location. Some of the sites are pretty close together though.

Pocket of Quiet Beauty

This is a sweet little tucked away oasis near Sioux Falls featuring trails, bluffs and climbing options. Great views and clean camp sites.

very fun spot!

visited here with my sister and our families. lots of fun places to swim and beautiful rock scenery!

Great for kids!

We stayed here for the 2nd time. We love the pool, playground and the jumping pillow! The bath house is very nice! We love it here!

Beautiful campground

We stopped here on our way through south Dakota headed back to Colorado. The staff were really friendly when we pulled in. Got us checked in right away, gave us directions to our site and sent us off. Thry also sell firewood for $5 a bundle. We are in tent site 4. There are only 4 strictly dedicated tent sites. you park across the street and walk a very short distance, maybe 200 feet to the site. The bathroom is in the parking lot along with a water source. The lake is on the other side of the parking lot. There is also a dumpster there in the parking lot.

The camp site is extremely spacious. plenty of room for tents if you have more then one. It's nice and mowed out with the bordering area still long providing an edge to the site. The four sites are clustered fairly close but the way it's landscaped, you won't see your neighbornuntil you step out to the path to your car. They all have fire rings with a grate to cook on. The picnic table has a nice shade canopy over top. The bathroom surprised me a little. most pit toilets are dark at night but this one has a light! it also has a trash can and hand sanitizer! it smells decent and it's very clean. it will quickly become BYTP but we are only here the one night so hopefully it won't run out. The lake is gorgous! it's a huge long lake and seems to be a favorite boat spot. water skis were abundant, which also meant it got pretty loud with boats buzzing, people partying and music blaring. this is why it lost a star. it was pretty loud up until probably 9 pm. The mosquitos are bad, bring bug spray!

Beautiful RV and tent camping around a gorgeous lake

Large spots maintained very well. RV spots have electric. Many spots have shade, some are near the lake, and some with lake views. They have small cabins for rent, as well as paddle boards, kayaks, and canoes. There is a lower park that’s great for families, with activities on the weekends , a large playground, and easy lake access. The other park is mainly spaces, with a large grassy area in the center. They spray regularly for bugs, which is extremely important to me! The area has many geocaches as well!

Beautiful quiet park to camp

This local spot is an unexpected beautiful spot in the landscape. The amenities are limited but its refreshing

Great campground with all the amenities

The campground is somewhat bare because the trees are small, but the lakes are wonderful for swimming, fishing, and beaching. About 1 mile out of town

No water and biting flies

This campground is still charging $17 for a camp site, $7 transaction fee and $7/day entrance fee despite the fact they have no running water. The toilets still flush. In the morning our car filled up with flies that bit us for hours before we were able to eliminate all of them. It is a 5 mile drive back to Luverne if you need supplies, and I was unable to locate a grocery store.

Two good things; they have a Free Little Library and at night the lawn was covered with fireflies

The campground was so miserable that the campground host had abandoned their trailer and was never present. We did have several locals drive through the campground to spy on us, presumably to see who was stupid enough to camp there. You are entirely responsible for knowing what site you reserved because there was no attempt to label reserves sites.

There is no privacy between sites. This is just a big lawn with driveways, picnic tables and fire pits. The landscaping is nicely done with blackberries popping out of some hedges and providing eye-level interest at the base of trees.

Nice Place

A nice and quiet place with reasonable prices.There was quite a few bugs though so make sure to bring your repelent.