The best WALK IN camping near
Lowrey , MISSISSIPPI

Most Recent Lowrey Camping Reviews
The locals like it - and that’s a plus

This is the first campground we have stopped at this week that had more than one other camper. I’d guess they were 70% full.

Most of the folks we met were local, here for a weekend away and outdoors. Lots of families with kids. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming.

The camp host came by just to say hi and see if we had questions.

We had decent phone service, but slow at times.

Some spots had good shade, some didn’t. Many backed up to the water and none were a far walk from water access either bank or dock.

Only 4 miles from the Natchez Trace. Not sure what amenities are available in nearby Houston, but Pontotoc had plenty of provisions. Not super close, but doable.

The lake itself - muddy brown water and not too much to look at it. But in fairness, it still is winter.

Looked like primarily a fishing lake, but I don’t hold a MS fishing license, so I didn’t try any.

Abounds in charm and hospitality

My stay won't likely be like yours. First, I drove in while Mississippi was under a blanket of snow. All the roads in Holly Springs and the rest of the state were treacherous with packed snow and ice following a week of unseasonably frigid weather across the southern midwest.

That said, the 2 rangers working at Wall Doxey went out of their way to set me up with a parking place in the practically empty campground, putting me in the youth camp, finding me an extension cord to hook up to power and allowing me access to the group camp for a bathroom and shower.

This was necessary because many areas were either in the middle of renovation, inaccessible or out of service due to frozen pipes. To say these ladies went out of their way to get me situated is an understatement. They were heroines!

The camp has loads of retro charm. A big mid-century lodge, picnic area, swimming lake, frisbee golf and a 2 mile hiking trail around the lake. I enjoyed a walk thru the snow and the comfort of having a safe and caring place to stay during my trip through Mississippi.

I suspect it will be the same for you even if your visit is under far different circumstances.

Welcoming Waterway Campsites

2/28-3/3/21 Site 44 Brisk mornings (40’s) and comfortable days (50’s-60’s). We share the campground with less than a dozen other campers. Campground staff and other campers are friendly. Park attendant Bobby Owen chatted with us each morning on our walks as he made his rounds. He answered questions and made suggestions. Many sites (43&44) are paired and close together. We see a variety of waterfowl and a few bass fishing boats. It is a working waterway and we observe barges each day.

Peaceful

Always packed with hikers but nonetheless we always have enough space and a good time. The downfall to this park is the camper pads. There are a few that are perfect. Most of them once you step out of your camper has a huge drop off. Just remember to park as close to the hookup side as possible. Clean bathrooms and nice hosts when we go. Love the trails. The Bear Creek is peaceful to sit beside. Hoping to kayak here this summer. Can’t wait to go back.

Peaceful, nice and clean

Had been wanting to try this campground out for a year. We decided last minute to make the trip this weekend. Super nice park host! Bathrooms were A+++ clean! No showers due to covid. Loved that almost all spot were right at the water edge. Literally. All types of birds to watch. Squirrels too. The walking path is about a quarter mile down to a spot where people fish. Many people boating and fishing. Can’t wait to come back but some sites had already been booked for next week. Seems like this is a very popular place. I do see why!

Great. Campground

We have stayed at this campgrounds numerous times and always enjoy it. The park host and attendents are great. Park is always clean. Paved sites with gravel pads around picnic tables.

I cannot recommend this campground.

We used this campground as an overnight on our way to Arkansas, was going to stay on the way back but cancelled due to our experience the first night.  Roads inside the campground were atrocious, required dodging tree limbs and holes. The entire campground seemed run down, camp host site looked like a seasonal site.  Site was fairly level with 30amp electric and water.  There is a dump station, but I refused to use it as it was flooded.  Bath house was adequate but very dated and not well maintained.  The main thing I disliked was the feeling of insecurity, the site behind us had some unsavory folks as did some other sites.  I'll not bother with this campground again.

Quiet weekend campsite

This is somewhat of a rustic hidden gem! It’s off the beaten path, so it wasn’t very busy. The sites at the end with the lake view are nice. There is only one bath house, so it’s kind of a far walk from some of the sites. The boat ramp is very close by.

I am giving this one 3 stars because the bathroom was absolutely disgusting!! There appears to be a permanent resident in the campground that I assume is the camp host. Would be nice if they attended to the bathroom more often. Hopefully it was a fluke. Also, the dump station has been blocked by a massive mound of gravel. Not sure what they are planning to do with it.

Great primitive campground!

We brought our small Aliner camper here to primitive camp for the first time and we couldn’t have picked a better place! The campsites have been redone in the last couple of years. Fresh gravel and wooden railing. The bathhouse is clean and easy access from all campsites.

There is a small playground close to the entrance. Lots of hiking trails and a fire tower that you can climb! We love the boardwalk trail! Unfortunately, this is our second time to visit the park and the visitors center has been closed both times. Kayaks and fishing boats available for rent.

You can’t go wrong tent camping or bringing a small RV here!

Bonus tip: This is a dark sky area, so come during the new moon phase for views of the Milky Way!

The Diamond of Mississippi State Parks

We've camped  to Tishomingo State at least 3 times in the last 6 months. It's the first site we visited after purchasing our Wildwood Travel Trailer. Sites are level and most are easy to back the trailer into. No full hookups but all the sites have electricity and water. Plenty of trees and amazing views from all the site. Cellphone coverage is not good here for Verizon or AT&T. Better at front of camp.

I can't state enough how much there is to do in Tishomingo! Plenty of trails that would satisfy an Ultramarathoner. A lake for fishing (honestly never seen anyone catch a fish 🐟) and canoeing. Tishomingo has disc golf, large pavilions, and historic sites to visit.

Overall it's always clean when we've been there but there is quite a bit of age on the campsite. Roads are pretty rough in areas as well.

Spots We Like --- 19, 31, 30, 32 (waterside), 38 (private), 44, 48