Abita Springs, LOUISIANA

Camping Louisiana Abita Springs

Most Recent Abita Springs Camping Reviews
Cool swampy place

I stayed on a solo trip overnight on the way to somewhere else, the loop of tent sites were all wet except one (wish I remembered sorry) it was super loud at night with swamp things. Rangers were super nice! Biked around a bit and went on all the walking trails, I’d suggest having shoes that can get trashed. It was quite muddy!

Cool place

Seems like a great place for summer with a splash pad and beach available. I’m sure the mosquitoes would be horrendous though. Great place to bike around. Beautiful oak trees, historical site, very helpful park rangers. I arrived late with my daughter and we thoroughly enjoyed our short overnight stay.

Good value

Very nice campground. Staff is always friendly. Good amenities. Very easy to park and a staff member always helps you park. Grocery store is about a mile away. Pool is open during summer and they added a covered playground for kids. I mean covered with a very large steel structure. The playground is covered with rubber mulch. We've been coming for years and we'll be back.

Good value

Great park

Best park on the Gulf Coast. Close to shopping, restaurants, night life, casinos and New Orleans with out noise and traffic. Lots to do winter and summer. Owners are great, they go out of there way for you to have a great stay.

Take a Gamble?

We had just left Buccaneer State Park and were headed west when we saw this “campground”. It is not much more than a parking lot but oh, the views of the gulf – you can’t get much closer!

There are 37 sites with level concrete pads, each with electric (30& 50 amp), water & sewer and trash receptacles. Each site has a BBQ and picnic table but there are NO restrooms. Rates are $25-$35 (for water view spots) Sunday– Thursday and $30-$49 for Friday and Saturday. Higher prices (up to $99) on holidays and note that Mardi Gras is considered a holiday! However, if you “join” at the nearby Casino for eligible play, you will get a free night in return. If you bank enough eligible play nights, you can stay for free on future stays.

Not our preferred kind of camping but might be worth a gamble for a night. Call (228) 469-2777, ext. 0 for more information.

Great for families in the summer

When we took our kids camping when they were young, they were lucky if there was a small playground at the state parks where we camped; they would have loved this place which is exactly why we wouldn’t come near here during the summer months! (Funny how our perspective has changed now that our kids are grown!) For families, this could be a reasonably priced getaway: camping, playground, disc golf, pool, and waterpark - all in one place. Note, however, that there is an additional charge for both the pool and the waterpark.

This is a very large campground with 276 sites. I’m not sure if we lucked out (or if I was advised by another reviewer) but we reserved in the Treasure Cove loop, farthest from the entrance. This loop appeared to be the only one with relative privacy/separation between the sites. All the others looked like they had RVs stacked up on top of each other. Sites include a bbq, fire pit, and picnic table. There is also a “premium” section by the waterpark overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. These are right on the road, but the road did not seem to be heavily trafficked (this might be different in the summer months). The cost for these sites is higher and they are not reservable. Beware that some of these sites are on pavement with no separation (and no view of the Gulf), while others are on the grassy area with a view of the Gulf. Since they are not reservable, you would be able to select one to your liking. There is, however, zero shade in these sites and there are no tables or grills and they may be unavailable during certain times of the year. There is also a primitive loop and it is exactly that. No restrooms or other facilities (although you could walk to one of the other loops) and no visible delineation of sites.

The bathrooms are reasonable. We drove past miles and miles of white sandy beach before reaching this campground, so I was eagerly looking forward to a long walk on the beach but near the campground, I was disappointed that there was no beach; the water came right up to the road (although there was a concrete sidewalk of sorts). I am not sure if this is because of hurricane erosion or by design.

Because we were not here with kids in the summer to enjoy the waterpark, there was not much for us to do so we were happy we had only reserved one night here.

Better than I Expected!

Nice park! Who would have thunk it, in the middle of New Orleans. A convenient walk to the French Quarter. Very safe and secure. A nice little green park next door for the doggies. Very clean with curbside trash pick-up. A pool and a hot tub (though we weren't there at a warm enough time to use them). Great stay! Oh, our GPS took us on a round about so ask them how best to get there when you book.  I-10 is across the street and a bit loud during the daytime, but less so at night.

Unfriendly staff in office on several occasions

Campground conveniently located right off the highway. Arrived to very wet sites, free internet was very poor ( even when most campers checked out) laundry door is locked by 6 pm, office staff not friendly & not helpful. The water was soft & had a strange taste when used for ice tea & coffee.

Good stop

Good RV parking lot with full hookups. Pads are level and get beautiful sun rises from your camper. Great stop while going to Casino or hanging out in Bay St Louis or any activity on the coast. A lil overpriced for what you get.