Abilene, KANSAS
Most Recent Abilene Camping Reviews
A nice little road side campsite on the south side of Concordia Kansas.

This campsite is located conveniently close to the small town of concordia. It has a fenced in dog park electric hook up and Bolin asphalt and concrete in good condition and the pay is by donation. It does have Wi-Fi. Restrooms are nice and clean. There is a park and a disk golf course also. It is Located next to a small airport so you may get to see some planes taking off.

Primitive!

This campsite is truly primitive only. There were no RV’s taking up space. There were good separate spots that included a fire pit and a table. The fire pit in our spot was up next to the shoreline where we didn’t want it so we built one with a hole and rocks. It did get a bit windy but we put the Jeep behind us so that blocked some wind. This site is not near any hiking so you will have to drive to the hiking spot.

A beautiful spot right on the lake and Dragonflies galore

Gotta say this was my first attempt at free camping and this place did not disappoint. Since my stay I have learned the area I camped has been designated as day use only by the ACoE, but I say as long as there aren't signs posted, (there weren't when I went) you're safe to set up camp. You turn into the park and before the pay sites, there are two left turns, the first is for RVs and the second is for tents and cars. We arrived the first weekend after Labor Day 2018 and we only saw 2-3 other campers there, and we even made a friend for the night. In total I would say there are about 7-8 official sites with fire rings, but there is plenty of space regardless. We arrived at dusk and as soon as we got our tents up we were greeted by the largest swarm of dragonflies I had ever seen in my life. Didn't have an issue with bitey bugs, but the bugs were plentiful. The lake is nice too, with cranes swooping in and out and we were treated to a wonderful sunrise. That place was just overall a good omen for the beginning of our trip. We plan to use this place as our main waypoint to the west.(Hope to run into you again someday, James!)

One of our favorite places to camp. Close to home for us and free.

There's quite a few spot to camp. All primitive. Can get a little busy during the day on the weekend but there are some great spots up in the trees away from the water that stay pretty quite.

fun lake great trails

The lake is amazing and it has some great trail access.  Manhattan is a college town and with it can bring some more wild campers and some wild people on the lake.  Still a fun place to visit.

scouting trip

Spend three nights with the cub scouts on this lake.  We had lots of success with fishing and the kids really enjoyed some of the hiking trails.

Family friendly

I enjoy coming g here. Nice facilities in campground. Nice lake to boat on. Clean.

Clean well maintained

Friendly staff

Spacious sites with grassy areas

Playground

Clean park

There isn't a store at the lake only nearby town

Great fishing

Not for tent camping

While our family loved the scenery this is not a lake for tent camping. Unless you like sleeping at an angle. Very limited tent camping as well. This lake is made for those with RVS

Hidden Gem

There is plenty to do here. There are numerous cabins of various sizes available to rent as well as Yurts.There is restaurant and a mini convenience store where you can pick up needed items.

Nice place for a Picnic

Its a nice quiet place for a picnic with a decent playground for the kids to play. Its also a great place to watch the sunset.

The best around.

We go camping here every year. The camp spots are well maintained with plenty of wooded area to explore.

Great Place to spend the day

This is a great place to spend the day. It has easy access for fishing, a nice little playground for the kids and a decent beach for swimming.

Lovely lake

Well maintained sites. Amazing swimming area. Helpful staff. Reasonable rates. Historical attractions nearby. We visited in the fall so lake wasn't very busy. Showers are dated but were reasonably clean

We stayed here Friday ,March 22-Sunday24,2019

The campground was ok. Sites were small and had trees extremely close to the camp pad. Parking for your vehicle was poor. The good thing was all sites(16) in Sumac have all 3 utilities, which in a State Park is quite a few. However, the placement of the sewer was a Awkward if you have a backend bathroom..On a very sad note our 11 year JRT was struck & killed directly in front of our camper , he has always been a good , stay in camp dog, put this sites are not big on space between camper& road. Keep your dogs CHAINED , in a cage or in the camper. No space to catch a runaway before they get to the road.

Small, quiet COE on the lake

This is a small park - 43 reservable sites with electric and water hookups. Most sites face the water and are shaded. They have fire pits and a covered cerment picnic table. Sites are fairly level and good size with a gravel pad. It is a very nice campground

Shady lakeside camping

plenty of campsites of all kinds. Tent sites,electric only,water and electric and full hookups. Boat launches close to most sites. No marina on the lake but just 5 miles to 2 towns with services. Lots of shade. Restrooms/ showers are clean.

Campground is a 3 orv area is a 5

The bathrooms were located by the camper areas and not the primitive area. Lots of room near the shelters for multiple tents. There was no management and they have a self pay system. We didn’t see a single park manager anywhere.

The orv area was amazing to take the jeeps out to! There’s trails, mudding areas, and areas called ledges for climbing. We will definitely be returning again!

Kansas Corps of Engineers Canning Creek Lake

Clean, well maintained and patrolled. This campground has a beach and has great views of the lake. There's group sites, primitive sites and sites with electric, water and sewer hook ups. There's a marina store that covers basics and the town of Council Grove is 10 minutes away.

Right in the water sites. Amazing.

Great spot to fish swim or boat. Set up tent in the dark and woke up to an amazing view.

Epic

Spent three days here this week. even with rain, it was a great camp ground. Corp of Engineers lake. Very clean, large private showers, with enough hot water. Daily trash pick up. Shade on most sites. Very helpful camp ground hosts. Saw 15 turkeys at the wild like area. Would have stayed longer, but more storms promised all night rain. Will return soon.

Smaller campground on Milford Lake

They keep it pretty clean considering how busy it stays. The staff is really friendly. Sometimes it gets a little noisy in the evening due to a few of the more partying type campers but that is not too often.

Kansas Sunset

Not a whole lot to this campground, other then it has one site with an amazing view over the lake when the sun sets! Nice area overall. Clean. Lots of trails near by in the area, especially some good horse trails.

It is very clean and well kept. Campworker makes sure of it.

This is a very clean and nice campground. Lots to do, nice boat dock, camping areas.

Sleepy Little Town

This might be the metropolis of this area but when the Walmart in town closes at midnight you know it is a sleepy little town. With that said it was nice to find this site to lay my head in the sleepy town.

The sites were level and pretty typical of a KOA. The staff was very nice and accommodating and walked me over to my tent site when I arrived. Very nice touch!

The bathrooms here were warm on a cold night and very clean. You could tell they take care of this facility very well. I had missed the pool season but with the cool air I didn't mind missing the cold water I was just wanting to stay warm.

For a basic site which included a fire ring and picnic table it was $24 that included access to wifi.

The only negative to getting a primitive site was that it was pretty windy and there wasn't really any wind block, I could have sprung for an upgraded site had I have realized there was going to be so much wind but that is my fault not theirs.

Custer Campground north of Richey Cove

Primitive sites. Vault toilets, bbq, covered picnic tables and fire rings. 3 tents allowed per site. You can shower at the north Richey campground. All are close to the lake and there is a boat ramp at the entrance. Small campground with maybe 12 sites.

Great place to camp!

Really nice campground. Big RV spots with great views. The beach area was small but nice. There is a medium sized playground near the swimming area. There are horse pens located at the Eagle Ridge site. Eagle Ridge has full hook-ups. The only negative is that there were very few bathrooms and showers.

Normal KOA Campground. Very friendly helpful staff. Clean bathrooms.

Clean facility. Spaces for all types from tents to motor homes. Level shaded spaces. All pull through. Food available on site or stores within minutes. Swimming pool in season.

Fantastic

We loved this place. Pool, playground, jumping pad, horse shoes, roomy tent sites, gem mining, friendly staff, great price. My sister did hurt herself on the slide… but we are adults so maybe it’s our fault. YOLO. She’ll be fine. We had a ton of fun. This was a nice stop on our way. They also had bikes and a train for the kids.