About Topeka / Capital City KOA

If you're looking for a family friendly camping experience, come join us at the Capital City/ Topeka KOA! We believe camping builds strong families. Thats why all our camping rates include 2 adults and 2 childern

The Capital City KOA is the largest and top rated campground in the Topeka area. All RV sites are full service with Free Cable TV and Wi-Fi internet access. We have just added a new Salt Water Pool, and completed our first few Deluxe Patio Sites. We also have redone many of our Tent sites, which now have electricity and a site light.

Our main building is a turn of the century Barn, which house's our General Store, Rec-room, Exercise room, and Group Facilities.

Other amenities include: 3 fishing ponds, playground, hiking trail, horse shoes, exercise room, Kamp K9 for the family dog, and lots of wide open space.

No RV? No problem! We have large open tent sites, and three types of rental units. Our Cabin sleeps 4 and our bunkhouse sleeps 6. Both units have a refrigerator, outside cooking area, picnic table, and cable TV. Our Deluxe Cabin sleeps 4, has all the amenities of our other cabins plus a full bath, mini kitchen, outside grill and campfire ring (an excellent choice for the non-roughing it types).

Our KOA is located near all the area attractions: State Capitol, Museums, Race Tracks, Shopping, Nightlife, Art Galleries, University of Kansas, Washburn University, and many more.

So if you're looking for a family friendly camping experience, come stay with us at Capital City KOA!

Fee Info
Adults 18+, Kids 5-17, Free 0-4
Private
Topeka / Capital City KOA is located in Kansas
Directions
For new paved access road, follow directions from intersection of Highway 75 & SW 57th Street. Northbound/Southbound: Hwy 75, Exit SW 57th Street, east 500 feet to Wenger Road. North on Wenger Road, 1.5 miles to SW 49th Street, west 800 feet. Entrance on left. Eastbound/Westbound: Jct I-470 & Burlingame Road (Exit 5), south 1.5 miles to SW 49th Street, east 0.25 miles. Entrance on right. This section of SW 49th St is gravel. To access on pavement. continue South on Burlingame Rd. 1.5 miles to SW 57th St. East 0.5 miles to Wenger Rd. North on Wenger Rd, 1.5 miles to SW 49th St. West 800 feet to entrance on left.
4 Reviews of Topeka / Capital City KOA
More KOA Gravel

Another KOA that just loves gravel! The road in is paved, but there is gravel (and dust) everywhere else. There is also very little shade - so is was hot in July! There is a nice, but small, salt water swimming pool that was refreshing after driving 8 hours. And a small dog park. There is a small store/ gift shop with basics. The shower/bathroom was clean.

Road Trip

Nice little RV campground south of city in county. A little out of the way but nice and quiet with good amenities.

Country Setting

This is an older park but it was very clean. Bathrooms and shower facilities again were older but clean. They have a nice pond and some short but relaxing hiking trails. We stayed at this KOA in the off-season but there were still several full timers in this park. Sites were gravel but mostly level. Close to Topeka, but outside the city giving it a country feel. Good place to stop for an overnight visit but I wouldn't stay longer.

Ranger Review: Roanline clothing at Topeka / Capital City KOA

Campground Review

We stayed at the Topeka / Capital City KOA campground for one night on our way home during a 3-week road trip. We had a water / electric pull-through site around the middle of the campground. It’s a small campground for a KOA, but still has all of the great amenities that you expect from a KOA: extremely clean bathhouses, nice playground for the kids, beautiful pool and connected pavilion, small fishing pond, etc. The campground hosts were very friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was quiet and peaceful. The kids really liked playing on the playground as we got the pop-up situated, but we did not have the chance to check out the pool since we were only there for one night. Everyone enjoyed taking a nice stroll around the decorative pond and fishing pond (which are separate) that night, and we saw a bunch of frogs, fish jumping, and two ducks that followed us around for a while.

My husband and I got up early and took the rods to the fishing pond prior to packing up and heading out in the morning. Though the fishing is usually pretty limited, we still really enjoy having a small fishing pond at a campground. It’s nice to be able to walk to something in the morning or before bed and get some relaxing fishing in. The fish we caught (about 1/2 a dozen bluegill and 1/2 a dozen bass) were all pretty small, but still fun and they’ll be a decent size in a few years.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I occasionally receive products to test or gift cards for new companies to check out. Prior to heading out on our 3-week road trip, I received a gift card to Roanline.com, which is an e-commerce company specializing in outdoor clothing and accessories for men and women. The company is based in North Carolina, and the first thing you notice when you hit the website is the focus on high quality outdoor clothing brands, some of which I had never heard of before. I love supporting new, smaller outdoor clothing brands, especially niche brands like Parks Project that prints high-quality t-shirts representing our National Parks or Free Fly who makes high performance, bamboo based clothing popular with the flyfishing crowd. The website is stylish and easy-to-use, and I like the clean interface that allows you to filter by just about anything you can think of. The ordering process was straight-forward, I received a pleasant confirmation email, and my order arrived even earlier than expected - which is exactly what you want with an online retailer! Roanline went above and beyond with order fulfillment with the package presentation, which I did not expect. My order came wrapped in a ribbon with a hand-written letter from the fulfillment team. Who does that in 2017? Great online retailers that want to let you know that they appreciate your business! Shopping at Roanline was a great experience, and I have added additional items to my Christmas wishlist for myself and others, so they definitely have a return customer.

My favorite purchase from Roanline was the women's Free Fly Bamboo Shade Hoody. I'm glad that I ordered a small because the shirt is pretty long for me (I'm 5'2" so I'm on the edge of petite in terms of sizing). I really love the design of the shirt, with thumb holes and a hood that inlcudes neck cover. The shirt has UPF 50+ sun protection, which made it perfect for flyfishing in the rocky mountain parks (Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain National, etc) where the elevation is high and the sun exposure is certainly more than I'm used to. This quickly became my go-to flyfishing shirt, and it will stay that way for most trips as I would much rather wear long sleeves than lather on a ton of sunscreen. The material is extremely comfortable, so much so that I even wore it to sleep at night a few times when it was very cold in Yellowstone - very cozy. I also love the color of the shirt, and the overall fit is nearly perfect (just a bit long, as I mentioned, but I'm sure that's perfect for most women). And as you can see from the photos, clearly this shirt is lucky as it helped me land this MONSTER at a campground fishing pond… but seriously, this is the nicest and most comfortable fishing shirt I've ever owned, and I will be looking to purchase at least one more!