Ballico , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Ballico Camping Reviews
10/10

Been coming here for our annual family camping trip for years now and love this place. The staff is always friendly and willing help. Will be coming back in the future.

Quick Camping

Woodward is our family go to place to camp in the summer heat. Lots of campsites with room for tents or RVs. Fire pits and picnic tables at each site. Plenty of bathrooms, some with showers. Usually somewhat clean. Water feels good when it's 100+ degrees outside. Good prices. And you can bring your dogs.

Terrible terrain for car camping

We were surprised when we made it to this campground- that it was built on the side of a hill. The walk-in sites may be different, but all of the pull in sites were extremely off-level (even with all our blocks we couldn’t get close) and the roads through the campground itself is so steep/narrow and windy that it would be extremely difficult to back in (we watched someone get stuck while trying). There wasn’t a flat tent spot at our campsite either. Finally, we arrived after dark (in November that was pretty early) and it was difficult to find your way into and out of the campground due to lack of signage. We were extremely disappointed with the quality of the sites here and would not recommend.

Convenient Yosemite Campground

We drove in after a long day of hiking in Yosemite. This campground is right off of Hwy 120 and makes for a super convenient stop the night before or after visiting Yosemite.

At the time we visited (early Nov 2020) there were no water or trash removal services, but the infrastructure is there. Bathrooms were in poor shape, though I'm not sure if this is due it being the winter season.

Campsites were $16 and included a picnic table, campfire ring, and a bear box. There were plenty of spots within our campsite for three 2-person tents.

Small campsites

Cute small campsites, kind of close to your neighbor. Not a lot of bugs which is always a plus when your near water, we went mid October and the weather wasn’t too hot or too cold. They have flushing toilets and coin operated showers with is nice, but the toilet situation near our campsite was questionable (site 62). Your not as close to the water as you would think looking at the map you need to drive a few minutes to the parking lot. But we found a nice private spot to dunk in the water. No electrical hook up. In some spots the hook ups are far, other sites they have them every few feet.

Near 39 is nice

Nice place during the Fall

We went at the end of September. It is very dry, the Lake New Malones was down quite a bit. We swam in the lake the water was great. However, we did not bother with the Kayaks. It’s really not a kayak lake more of a speed boat lake. The campground was good. We were in Acorn 065. The site was great, roomy and in a corner, I have to say it was one of the nicer ones. We had vault toilets close by but there was also flush toilets and showers not to far away. Not a lot of shade, I would not recommend going in the hotter months. The campground is easy to get to. No firewood for sale on site. You have to go to one of the local stores. Plan ahead if arriving late. When we came there was a PSPS so we were told on the second day that wood fires or charcoal fires would be allowed that day due to wind. Lucky their was a Walmart not too far away and we were able to grab a gas grill. :)

Found on accident! Fell in love!

This will always be my FOREVER campground ! We have been coming for about two years now and still so absolutely in love with it! I recommend to friends and family all the time. You can bring your furry kids, there are clean showers and restrooms. Watering holes on campgrounds and around the area like Cherry Lake, Rainbow Pools and Gods Bath! California is full of beautiful wonders and this little gem in Stanislaus Forest is one of them! There is a little coffee-smoothie shack made by the hosts! Enjoy a mocha and have great conversations with them! Frank is our go to guy, he’ll set you up with a great spot to suit your needs!!

Ultimate Camping

Reminds me a lot of the Modesto reservoir. I enjoy this location because it has stores nearby. I always need to take extra blankets and fire wood. It tends to get chilly and windy occasionally. Make sure to bring sunblock! Some Roads are dirt so bring goood water shoes or sandals.

Modesto camping

After going a few times I managed to find a nice spot I try to camp near. I enjoy how close the sites are to the water. Could use more consistent maintenance though. It gets crowded but one can still enjoy the experience.

Restrictions

This campground is only open to Stanislas County residents.