the dyrt
Death Valley National Park, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Death Valley National Park Camping Reviews
Quiet and Easy to Find

We pulled into this spot right around sunset and were greeted with friendly bats and open rv concrete flat spots. It had a beautiful view of the Funeral Mountains and was just East of DVNP.

No bathrooms or facilities and hardly any shade but perfect for a free spot right outside of the the NP.

Gorgeous springs in the middle of nowhere

Beautiful warm springs out in the middle of nowhere. The camping area can be crowded, and it can be hard to find spots, but it’s oh so worth it if you can. There are pit toilets, 5 different hot springs and plenty of stars. From Big Pine it is about a 3.5 hour drive, 40 miles of which is off-road. AWD or 4x4 is recommended, same with ground clearance. Just follow signs for Saline Valley Warm Springs as there are a couple of turns. It is a long journey out there, but definitely worth it.

Always a nice stop

One of the best BLM spots around . There are no amenities so you have to be 100% self contained. Bring your own everything. Always will stop here when visiting the 395. Hope it stays pristine

Clean, organized

We scheduled for the wrong night by accident. The campground was full but they gave us an auxilary spot that's saved for emergencies. The staff was excellent. Bathroom were clean but had no soap.

Clean, organized

Where the desert meets the mountains

This is a great dispersed camping area at the base of the E. Sierras. Camping can be along any one of several dirt roads, explore a bit til you find just the right spot (existing sites are easy to pick out)! The town of Lone Pine is nearby but make sure you bring plenty of food and water. Pack in/Pack out. With Mt. Whitney as your back drop you really can't go wrong here.

Great stay

I rolled in and they had just happen to have an area that is normally closed, open. I was able to park with my van doors to a wonderful view of the desert landscape. Nice and quiet with lots of friendly campers. The camp hosts were wonderful

Site 56

Stay the last weekend in Oct, and the campground was completely full, so definitely book in advance. As for the campground as a whole, it is in a pretty good location. It's pretty much directly in between the Mesquite Flats Sand Dunes and Bad Water Basin. It's also directly adjacent to the visitor center with a restaurant and gas station near by. As for site 56 in general, it's probably one of the better sites. Site 56 has some of the most shade in the campground, which is hard to come by, and is also close to a water fill station and the restrooms without being so close you get all the traffic. The only complaint would be the size. It's can definitely be cramped if you have more than one tent and vehicle.

Great standard site

This was a great campsite at the lowest point in the continental US. Potable water is available on site, the bathrooms are clean. Obviously this campsite is desert like, there is a bit of shade with some trees, but it’s open for the most part. Showers are offsite at a nearby hotel.

Basic but Wonderful

Free, convenient, and a great view of the rolling mountains; what more can you ask for? We came in late to Death Valley one night in November, crossing our fingers that we would be able to find somewhere to camp without a reservation. Low and behold, right after entering the park we stumbled upon Emigrant! Just to the left of the main road, this campground is a simple gravel lot with about ten unmarked spots around the perimeter. It was pretty full and we took the last open spot. There is a path leading to a bathroom with flush toilets (!!!), a couple of picnic tables, and some dumpsters for trash disposal. If you're coming into the park along highway 190 from the southwest, this is a prime place to set up for the night.

Simply magical

Decided to explore Death Valley since the weather has finally cooled off. Over two days we managed to see: the sand dunes, badwater basin, zabriskie point, ubehehe crater, and artist’s drive.

Ended up sand boarding!!!! It was so much fun!!! Definitely bring your board with you to try it out.

We camped at furnace creek campground, which was conveniently located in the middle of the things we wanted to see. They don’t take any reservations during the summer and charge $22 a night. Definitely worth it. Just make sure to check the weather before you go as it gets REALLY HOT!!!

Trees!

Best campground in Death Valley. It's still crowded and can be noisey during the day, but pretty quiet at night. Great stargazing! We were lucky enough to get a campsite with trees, provides much needed privacy and shade! Great restrooms, fire pit and table at each site. RV spots as well. Dumpsters and store nearby.

Excellent dispersed camping in eastern Sierras

If youre comfortable with primitive dispersed camping, this is the place to go in the eastern Sierras. Like walking on mars, the landscape is amazing with endless boulders and unobstructed views of Mt Whitney. I was there in April, and it was quite windy so be prepared for that. If youre setting up a tent, make sure youre able to stake it down securely. With the ground being dry and rocky make sure to pick a spot accordingly. The area is ideal for RV or car camping.

We got some early morning wind and rain, but were rewarded full crisp rainbow that lasted a good 30 minutes, stretching over the landscape. It was quite the scene.

Loaction wise, youre close enough to the town of Lone Pine if you need groceries, laundry or shower, or feel like having a bite or drink at a local watering hole. It also feels far enough away civilization to have a genuine wilderness experience, and little light pollution from town. I look forward to going back!

deserty, dry, but plenty of space

This is one of our intermediate stops if I'm going on a weekend trip to Mammoth. There are a pretty substantial amount of off-road/mtb trails in this area, if that's your thing. Also, you might get the stray hiker trying to make it to the Mount Whitney trailhead.

Desert landscapes aren't usually my thing, but there's plenty of space. I'd avoid in the summer unless there's something you really want to do here - it got fairly hot even in March. Also, it's free, so for the price I can't really complain. Just pack in/pack out!!

Gateway to Mount Whitney

BLM land, so you can camp anywhere. Have to pack-in and pack-out. No fees, but you do need a campfire permit.

Stunning views and wide open spaces. Great bouldering and day use as well.

Quiet spot in the desert

This was a great spot to camp in! There was potable water, a toilet and best of all there was only one person there when we went so it was rather quiet aside from the sounds of the desert! There were also wild burros which were adorable. Also it wasn’t a far trek from the Wildrose kilns which were so cool to go and visit!

Amazing desolate place that's vibrant with colors and people!

It amazes me that this place is so far from other towns and yet it is the destination for so many people to spend vacation! Once we arrived it was plain to see why! Such an broad range of people to make up the area!!! Definitely coming back!

Best Campground I have stayed at

We finished our trip to Death Valley here after camping for a while at Furnace Creek. Both were beautiful but this one was especially amazing. We explored for hours each day and kept finding new spots. There was a hill right at our site that you could walk up and see the entire campground which was especially cool at night. There is SO much cool geology that you can see right from the campground and explore. Our campsite had easy access to flush toilets, trash station, and dishwashing sink. Our site was long and narrow, so we could set up our two tents and also have a separate food prep/eating area at another end. It was fairly private except there was one group right across from us. The RVs were mostly in another area.

Amazing campground, spacious, beautiful at night

This is one of the best campgrounds I have stayed at. We stayed at a group site and had easy access to restrooms and a huge outdoor dishwashing sink. There was also a dumpster close to the site. Our site was surrounded by trees/brush so pretty separate from other sites. We had a bunch of picnic tables and plenty of space for our two big tents (could have easily fit a ton more). We slept outside without the tents since the weather was so mild, the breeze at night was beautiful, and it was just a little chilly, so perfect for a fire. The grounds were nice to walk around, and the sky at night was amazing. The camp store down the road had groceries, clothing, firewood, and everything else we needed during our week or so long stay here. Remember gas in death valley is crazy expensive so fuel up before you get in.

Awesome & Adventerous

Come prepared with plenty of water and a sense of adventure. Camping here you will see adventurist of all kinds from hikers, rock climbers, rv's/vans & some tent camping. Plenty of fascinating landscape to enjoy any outdoor lovers playground. Visited in Summer of 2016. Nearby town of Lonepine has access to water, showers available @ hostel, restraunts & local bakery.

Lone Pine Camp Ground

Hit this up in March for a quick overnight after hiking in Big Pine and Whitney. Nice camp ground, quiet that time of year. Friendly people. Bathrooms are vault toilets.

Lovely place to camp in winter

We camped in March, and the daytime weather was perfect. just make sure to bring lots of layers for nighttime.

Within walking distance of the camp are some sand dunes that are fun to run down. There’s plenty to check out in the area: hiking trails, a visitor center, nearby locations where Star Wars scenes were filmed, and a past borax mine.

This campground allows dogs as long as you keep them on a leash of 6 ft or less. Just make sure you bring a travel water bowl and paw protection. When the ground is too hot, paws can burn, and dog booties help keep paws safe. Also be careful about the coyotes, which frequent this campground.

Easy access

The sites were fairly small. There was a water spigot in between our site and the one next to us. There is a gas station across the road from the campground. There is plenty of hikes around the area, including the awesome Maryjane Falls close by. The other main stuff is on the opposite side of the park. Still the drive wasn't too long. We stayed in tents, but they do have "cabin" rentals. Flush toilets and showers. Sorry the photos are sideways.

A little oasis in the desert

We camped there in April so it was not the hottest time for Death Valley. It is a pretty big campground, but our site was more on the edge under some trees so it was perfect shady spot. Clean and nicely spaced sites. Nice and quiet most of the time. Our site was close to restrooms and a big washing/sink area so it was very noisy in the morning. It may depend on the crowd who were camping at that time as there were big groups of tourists speaking loudly early in the morning. It was a little crowded for my taste, but it was a nice campground in the middle of the desert. Visitor Center, gas station and a general store are nearby so it is convenient location and a great resting camp location after exploring the hot desert. There is so much to see at Death Valley, but make sure to check out cool places like Rhyolite ghost town.

Come Pet The Wild Donkey Nation!!

I thought Oatman, Arizona was the only place I would find wild burros but I was wrong!! I went to Rhyolite and stopped off for a stay in Beatty, only about 5 miles away from the ghost town site and art park. I was excited to have found this location because most everything I looked up only was indicating places to stay that were in excess of 40 minutes from the site. This place is hidden gem in camping world clearly as it has a location which is very unique to something very cool.

But back the burros, they roam wild here, and while I do not know why, they are friendly and were a fun addition to my trip while I settled in for the stay.

At first I thought this place was only for RV campers but when I inquired I was pleased to find out that they accommodated tents as well.

So how did I discover it? Ironically for the market, we were looking for a fresh fruit snack (this place is the only place in town you can find fresh fruits like this we were told) to take with us to Rhyolite and when we went in and happened to tell the people we were looking for a place and they mentioned they did accommodate tents! SCORE ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS!!!

But the winning just kept on winning with this place, they had free coffee, wifi and cable for those who were traveling in RVS. For us tent campers they had nice facilities, hook ups and bbq grills.

I felt like we left the house not knowing where we were going to stay and thinking it might just be easier to make the long drive back to Vegas than to drive 40 minutes out of the way to camp only to discover we had hit the winning lottery ticket with this place.

Sure the name is kinda weird, but you are in the middle of the extraterrestrial obsession area so while we didn't ask we assumed it had something to do with that.

I would give this place more than 5 stars if it was available to do so!! The staff was so helpful and friendly, the grounds were well kept and very nice and the price was better than I was expecting with all that I was getting at only $15.

I think when people are looking for sites they often want all the bells and whistles and for a person in a tent sometimes it is just finding a site that isn't just designed for RVs that makes all the difference!!

TIPS:

• Shop at the store they have everything to make your stay nice.
  • Don't feed the burros they will adopt you and continue to want you to feed them.
  • Check out Rhyolite which will be one of the highlights of your trip in this area ( I have included some photos of that area because it is amazing and completely unexpected amidst the desert)
You always know how hot is at Furnace

What can I say you are in Death Valley where the heat can get so insane you can feel it collapsing your lungs and melting your face but at this campground that can be a lot less of a problem as you are welcomed with the temperature at the visitor's center. Sure it is still hot and miserable most of the time, but what better way to embrace it than to just let it all hang out so you can see it.

I was very interested in this campground just inside of California when I was staying in Nevada over the first part of the year, it had great reviews and looked like a nice campsite. When I arrived I was not disappointed at all it was well kept, offered some shade and had nice even sites for tents or RVs alike.

Unlike my usual desire to have no amenities, I feel like staying in place like this I need a few luxuries just in case. So it was nice to find sites with electrical hook ups and potable water. The electrical hook ups made it nice for having a small fan which didn't rely on batteries which can drain quickly and that made it more than comfortable on the hot evening.

Where my tent was located the short shrubs provided a nice wind break however I did notice in some of the more open spots it can get a little blustery and we noticed several dust devils popping up across the area in the distance, very common for this region.

The campsite does accept reservations however when we were there mid week in late spring it wasn't packed so no reservation was needed.

I did notice that some of the areas were marked with heat warnings which included closure postings during certain times and warnings about temperatures after 10 a.m. I was fortunate in that it wasn't terrible just yet but already it was beginning to get that way despite it being spring. By summer I would not recommend staying here unless you were able to get inside of an RV it would be far to hot for myself in my little tent.

TIPS:

• Keep hydrated when staying here or at any of the Death Valley campgrounds.

• Obey postings of warnings, they are there for a reason!! We were listening to a ranger in the visitor center and he was telling us some statistics and it was enough to make you want to listen to everything you hear them say!!

• Fuel up before getting to 1/4 tank anytime you are entering the Death Valley or Mohave area you never know what will happen and you would rather be safe than sorry in case you are rendered stranded , at least with gas you can rely a bit on your air.

Hike in campground at Lone Pine lake

Permit needed for overnight camping at lone pine lake. Get this at ranger station, to the right , just as you enter lone pine. Pick up bear canister here as well

Drive up Whitney Portal road till it ends. Park. Display copy of permit in vehicle.

Hike approx 2.5 Miles up Mt Whitney trail. Follow sign to lone pine lake detour to left of the trail. Camp anywhere following LNT policies.

I went midweek in early September and there was only one other group camping.

Beautiful alpine lake

camp at elevation

get acclimated to higher elevation prior to your Sierras backpacking trip. restrooms and bear lockers are provided. use them as there is a lot of bear activity. cover any odorous items in your vehicle. pretty campground with tons and tons of trees. steps away from multiple trails.

Open, hot campsites with tons of places to explore

You will be a bit off the beaten path at this site, but it will be worth it the second the sun goes down on a clear night. It is one of the darkest spots in the country and the stars will take your breath away. You need to bring your own shade, but every place you want to explore is a short drive away.

Hard Pack Camping with a View

It’s basically camping in a dirt and asphalt parking lot with. I shade. You are close to the general store, so cold beer (at about $10 a six pack) isn’t far away. But, that’s not why you come to Death Valley. You come for the otherworldly experience and Stovepipe Wells is dead center for exploring.

Bonus tip- Head over to Furnace Creek Inn at sunset and enjoy a margarita or glass of wine on the deck. It’s a bucket list experience.