Carrizo Plain National Monument, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Carrizo Plain National Monument
Most Recent Carrizo Plain National Monument Camping Reviews
Very active campground

This campground is huge! There are so many sites, yet can still get booked up! There are some really nice sites, but the best thing about this campground is how many trails there are to walk on. Plenty of people out and about at any time!

Closed

They are no longer in business

Nice hike and camp site

Very nice hike and camp site

Great location but no privacy

I was attending a weekend Jeep event at Pismo Dunes and had booked a space in the OHV area on the beach.  When I got there the wind was so bad it was impossible to put up a tent.  So I looked up this place, which is probably 1/2 mile from the entrance to the beach.

The campground has mixture of tent and pull-through sites.  All sites have full hookups, and include a fire ring and picnic table.  The bathrooms were clean and had showers, but everything was very old.  There was also a pool and laundry rooms on the property.

The sites were flat, but there was no barrier between you and your neighbors.  The RV sites looked very cramped but the tent sites seemed adequately spaced for the most part.  I stayed in site 252 which appeared to be some kind of double site, because there were two sets of hookups in the space (one of which required a large pole in the middle of the site).

In spite of the convenience of the location, there were drawbacks.  The campground is narrow and situated directly between PCH and the railroad tracks on either side.  So traffic noise was significant, and as an added bonus, every now and then Amtrack would roll past.

Over all, it met all the basic needs, was well maintained, and was close to the beach.  And the noise was probably less than I would get sleeping in the OHV camping area.

Scenic and off the grid-ish

The drive in through BLM land is breath taking. 40 minutes of curves and turns and aw! I loved every minute. Then camped next to a creek that babbles and bounces through the campground. Is this a Laura ingles wilder book?! Tiny adorable bar and grill run by the locals, right at the foot of the camp makes for a not-so-off-the-grid trip if you choose to partake. Camp hosts - best I’ve ever encountered. I will 100% be back.

Eh

We didn’t like it here, no shade, the absolutely won’t let you check in until 2:00 pm, no exceptions.

Avila

Avila is beautiful! The camp sites are very tight but the staff is very helpful with parking. The facility is very clean. Short drive to the beach.

Small tent site with a picnic table

It's a very nice small camp site

Great place for a quick get away

Clean site Areas are well spaced out First compound of campsites are the best end of the road are the trails to hike and only able to fit 3 trucks up there comfortably Bring your own toilet amenities and water

Quiet and relaxing

Really nice clean quiet and relaxing

Beautiful area

This campground doesn’t feel too much like you’re out in the wilderness, but it is on a cliff above the beach on California’s central coast so who’s to complain? Great amenities (had showers, which are always nice after a sweaty hike). Campsites are not very private. Great place to take kids. The beach was a bit rocky but very beautiful, good place to look for tide pool creatures, and we saw dolphins! 🐬 There is a less rocky beach within a short drive (Refugio). Great hiking in this area! We did the Wind Caves trail (see pictures). I would def go again.

Love it

Love the beach very nice and clean

Clean and quiet

Before you turn off for this camp, you are driving along this curvy road that is down in one of the most spectacular valleys I've ever driven through. The views are astonishing and made my 2 hour drive totally worth it. This little campsite is right off the road and not to far from a gas station, small store, and what appears to be a beautiful country club community in the middle of basically nowhere. Its is nice for if you forget something to not have to go far. The road down to the campsite itself looks daunting if you arent used to driving off road, but its short and not something that should caution you away from this campsite. In fact while I was there, a mini van made it all the way down the road, turned around, and drove right back up. As for the campsite itself, the spaces are very clean and each site has it's own picnic table and a fair amount of space. From what I could tell, they each had their own fire pit as well. There was not a lot of trash in the camp and it appeared to be taken care of often. It is a small camp though so if every spot has campers, it might get crowded. There is NO WATER at this camp that I ever found. I always pack lots of water just in case and if you stay here, you will need to bring some. All said and done, I will definitely be coming back here, its quiet and the view of the stars at night and the valley at sunset is breathtaking.

Summer Heat Getaway!

It’s a nice drive to get to the campground. Nice clean area with lots of space. Love it that’s it’s a Walk in campground so no cars or RVs. Lots of Hiking trails nearby. It’s a lot cooler up here so it’s a nice way to get away from the summer heat. Awesome area for stargazing. The bathrooms could use some cleaning but other than that it’s a beautiful area.

Great for Beginners

About a mile from the trail head the lost valley campground is a great spot for beginning backpackers to stay for a night or two. It’s right up against the creek and has two tables. Great tree placement for hammocks and space for tents.

Sequoia you will love it

We be there about 2 night it nice for camping there nice toilets but don’t go on weekends your will be can’t find camping sites it full very quick we was there walk in but they have free camping ground also

Off The Grid

I prefer primitive or dispersed camping because I usually like as much privacy as I can get when I'm camping, but with current fire restrictions I was limited to developed campsites if I wanted a campfire (and what's the point of camping without a campfire?). I was also planning the trip on short notice, so developed, reserveable campsites were in short supply. Then I found Reyes Creek.

The campground is very isolated. It's about a 40 minute drive from the nearest town (and therefore the nearest gas station or market - plan ahead). There is no power, or water. There's no cell service in the camp, but a 5 minute drive up the mountain there's a dirt lot they call the 'phone booth' that gets decent reception. The camp hosts were super friendly and helpful. There are 2 loops for campsites - the center of the main loop seemed pretty flat, but all the sites were visible to your neighbors. Sites on the outside of the main loop offered more privacy, but most appeared to not be very level, and not necessarily well laid out. I stayed in site 11 on the outside of the loop which was large and fairly quiet, but my 6 person tent just barely fit in between some trees which offered some shade and was only on a slight angle. The one downside was the bathrooms - vault toilets that varied in condition, but none that I used were particularly good. If bathroom condition is a major sticking point with you, you may want to look elsewhere.

As an added bonus, as isolated as the place is, right outside the entrance to the campground is a bar & grill called the Camp Scheideck Lodge. They have a full bar and great food (and the customer-only bathroom is a great step up from the campground). It just changed owners last month (second time in a couple years) and the new owner, Devin, is friendly and welcoming.

The temperature varies greatly from day to night (90's to 50's when I was there) and there are bugs a plenty, so bring repellant. Firewood is available at the camp, and ice is available at the lodge.

So if you want a little isolation with privacy, a campfire, and a friendly bar within walking distance, this place is for you. I'll definitely be coming back.

Words cant describe

Beautiful lakes and fishing was awesome. Will be back for sure.

If you can make it happen, do it!

This is such a unique experience! You have to set up a boat trip here and back so do your homework because it takes some coordinating. We picked site 1 unknowingly and it turned out to be the best! It was away from others and felt private with the most spectacular mountains to our back. VERY WINDY! The water tasted icky but after a 10 mile hike we didn't care. Take advantage and hike as far as you can- it's unreal! But bring a ton of water because you'll want it! The crows are unruly so watch your belongings, and the fox are cute but sneaky. Also, there was a dead seal over by the water which was sad, but as the rangers told us, that's nature.

Love that you can park right at the beach

This place is rad. You can stay here until 11pm if you don't have a camp reservation. You can also rent ATV to ride at the dunes which is super fun

BEST CAMPGROUND

Probably the best camp ground we've been. They always have an overflow camp site for just vehicle with a camper or RTT. We have a RTT. We paid $60 for 2 adult and 2 kids but the shower is included and super accessible bathroom. Only con about it was that it was a bit noisy after 11PM.

Massive RV Park

First, this place is massive! The spots are very tight with neighbors very close. Sewer, electric and water are on a single concrete area that intrudes on your neighbors area (had to move neighbors table to hook up). While quiet time is 10:00 pm, it is NOT enforced. Prepare for a busy, noisy and crowded experience.

Beautiful campground

Camped out July 21 -22 2019 at Reyes creek campground. We got the last available spot as we showed up late that afternoon. Plenty of fish in the creek. Temp was well in the mid 90s … it was super hot. We still managed to do a small hike up the piedra Blanca trail to upper Reyes. Trail is brushy in some areas with some washouts in others. Some beautiful shaded areas where we took a few breaks to get away from the heat.

Nice quiet campground on a great fishing lake

This lake has a no body contact rule which makes it a great quiet fishing lake with no jet skiing, swimming etc… there is a seasonal swimming pool that is right across from the rv spots. It is a dry campground and the 7 rv spots are basically on a parking lot but are on the waters edge which is nice. The tent sites are nice and are close the the lake. There is a well stocked and surprisingly well priced store as well as a marina that rents boats and kayaks. The lake has 2 boat launches and miles of hiking trails all within a short walk to the camping area. We get a few tv channels on our antenna but there is no cell reception. We launch our kayaks 20’ from our camper and when we had a boat we would launch it when we got there and leave it in the water right next to the camper which was very convenient. This of course always depends on the water level which has been very low some years, but has been good this year. The pool, showers and restrooms are newer, clean and very close to the rv spots but a bit of a walk to most of the tent sites.

Great place for family BBQ and Camping

I love how this campground is secluded, there are about 7 campgrounds available, 2 restrooms and stalls for horses. You can go out for a hike with great scenic views. I would truly recommend.

Primitive typical National Forest campground

Few fire pits and tables a couple flat spots for camping, 30-45 minute drive from Santa Maria. Drive slow down the dirt road as to not upset the residents of Colson Canyon.

Camping with a hotel feel

Great place for kids and families. Went during the week so wasn’t too crazy packed. They have a pool, playground, 24 hour bathroom and showers included with your stay. Also have a small restaurant in case you don’t feel like cooking. They have bike rentals that I believe are free to use. We had a great time and had a nice hike down to El Capitan beach with the kids where they enjoyed themselves. Overall highly recommend this place and will be returning.

Bluff side camping

This was my second time camping here, the last being in 2017. Got to camp Friday 07/12 and stayed for two nights. Booked site 110 about a month prior by luck, checked daily for any cancellations but only saw a few. Site 110 had absolutely zero shade and very little privacy. To the left was site 109 which we could see into because of a gap between sites, this was a shame because it could see the ocean but also would be staring directly into their site. Towards the back of the site it walked straight into site 106. The whole site was on a slant which made it very annoying to hitch our tent. Driving around the other sites and bluff it seems like little had shade. Sites 99, 101, 103 and 105 all had ocean views and seemed to be the best. Site 107 had the best view but no shade. Our site was also directly across from the group sites which were very noisy at night, especially if you’re trying to sleep at 1am. Also the restrooms were to the right of us which was convenient but also could get very stinky. The grounds were kept clean and restrooms were stocked. The beach was an easy walk from where we were and beautiful. Overall I love this campground but would book your site as soon as the window opens to ensure you get a shaded one, especially if you’re visiting during the summer

Quiet in off season

Went In January on a weekend and drove up and had our pick of any site. It was all Shaded and quiet. Not many people around. Nice big sites under trees. Plus it’s only around a 10 minute drive to come springs tavern and several hikes. It is located right off the side of the road but it never got loud because the rode is so empty.

Great Central Coast Stop

Leaving Ocean Mesa and can’t wait to go back. Clean facility. Heated pool and jacuzzi. Concrete pads and lots of trees. Connected to El Cap Canyon that has cabins and yurts. A really great store there with events like wine tasting and concerts. Hiking trails are also connected to the campground. Just a mile from a great beach with lots of parking. No ocean view but the amenities makeup for that.