Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Los Angeles Camping Reviews
Wilderness Camping

There is nothing but you, the heat, the rocks, cactus and snakes… yes, snakes! Snakes were everywhere. This is a great place if you are interested in rock hounding, hiking or off roading, nothing else beyond that. Beautiful cactus and desert critters crawling about. But if you are not accustomed to heat and desert sunlight, be sure to wear plenty of protection as the Summer months can be brutal. While we were exploring we came across old military tanks to our surprise! Theres no fee to camp in the undeveloped campsite areas. There is no water, no trash, or restrooms available and no local cities nearby. I would recommend planning throughly and accordingly, depending on your needs for travel.

Surfers Haven

Fun place to spend Summer by the beach! Definitely gets booked quickly, so reserve in advance but in slower months first come first serve is generally just fine to settle into a good spot. The beach is walking distance to a well known surfing location. Very popular area and can be known for partying at night. The moon is a beauty out here at night, with moon flowers everywhere. Fire pits are available at campsites, with restrooms, and a local shop in the campground that nearly sells about everything you’ll need. There’s backpacking sites at no charge but for a standard campsite there is a fee. Each standard site is $45 a night, sites with electric hookups are $60 a night and there a group site for $225 a night. Parking is limited so additional vehicles per campsite is $12 a night per vehicle. Once you’re through the gate there is absolutely no cell service here. Overall it’s just a fun place for a weekend with friends to hang out, grill and go surfing at Leo!

Island Time

You’ll get lost here in the beauty. Gorgeous clear water perfect for diving and fishing, great for relaxing in the sunshine with a beverage on the shore, while grilling the catch of the day. Close to a bit of everything and plenty of activities to keep you occupied! I didn’t have gear and was able to rent wetsuits and snorkeling gear to go exploring. Everything is a bit pricey here but it’s worth trying once, especially if it’s your birthday the charter is free!

Loved it

We spent 3 nights at this campground and had a great time. They have a camp store right in the middle of the campground that has essentials. Bathrooms were nice. Can’t wait to go back. Walking distance to the beach. Best part.

Desert/City Lookout

Great spot along the PCT. Our site even came with a creepy manakin… make sure to look for it and add a sticker!

Each site has its own fire pit and we did not expect to find nice bathrooms here, but they were great!

Choose your own adventure

There are three primitive sites at Crystal cove. I've stayed at two. Both Morro locations.

Lower is a 3 mile hike with a few steep grades. 13 sites an outhouse and a decent view. This one is normally supporting several groups on weekends. There is no water. Be sure to carry enough. No power, no light.

Upper Morrow is another 20 minutes worth of hiking with 20+ spots and usually no one. People tend to stop at lower.

The park is small. The perimeter loop is under ten miles. Super bike friendly, but dosnt allow any animals.

Note that there's a $25 fee

Centrally located but needs improvement!

Pros:

- location; easy to get to from LA County

- lots of campsites

- showers (bring quarters and the cost is $1.00 for @5 minutes

- playground and splash pad kept the youngins entertained

Cons:

- no lighting in restrooms; it was somewhat difficult taking my two toddlers to the restroom to potty in the evening before we turned in

- restrooms got really nasty in the evenings; it would be nice if the restrooms were cleaned multiple times a day

- non-enforcement of quiet hours; there were a few groups that were having too much fun well past midnight and no ranger/staff around to ensure quiet hours were adhered to

- ants galore; ants, ants and more ants and they got into everything

- no fishing allowed due to toxic algae

- horrible cow dung smell permeated the air

Perfect family getaway

So we just spent 4 days here in late October and the weather was 85 degrees! We were right on the water. These spots usually run 300$ plus a night at the peak season.. but the winter rate is 100.. This place has everything on site.. even a smalll store with all the essentials (kinda pricey) the showers are clean and plenty of hot water.. they have coffee in the general store.. I’m not sure I’d spend $300 a night in the summer .. but definitely $100 in the off season..

Beautiful beach and sunset

Beautiful Beach to camp with the family. Perfect for kids to have fun in the waves. The sand is a bit rocky so you have to be careful and wear sandals. There is hiking trail nearby that lets you appreciate the ocean’s beauty. I would have given it 5 stars but I was disappointed about the fact that the car noise on the highway overshadowed the serenity of the waves. The headlights of the trucks shining on our pop up camper disturbed our sleep. It can get very very windy at night so for those with tents and pop ups it might be a little frustrating.

3 min Hike Camping

When you can’t do a 2h hike before setting camp, but you also don’t want to camp close to your car, Millard campground is perfect. The parking lot is just behind the corner out of view. The only downside is that there are a couple of holiday houses in the surrounding forest and there is the trailer of the camp manager. Also don’t go during week ends cause families bring their kids to camp. Besides that it’s a really chill and nice camp. There is a stream of water that flows close to the campground and there are toilets (no water).

Very dispersed and tons of solitude

2 Yellow post sites. High clearance/4WD vehicles highly recommended. Take a rocky bouldery creek wash up into the hills. Primitive camping with a single fire pit, no table, no hookups water or bathrooms. Awesome place to get “lost”in.

Quiet. Solitude.

Great primitive campsites. Need sturdy vehicle to get there. Quiet area with very little traffic. Stayed on a Sunday night and we were the only ones in the camp. Fantastic hiking up a nearby creek.

Quiet with Views

Great spot, clean vault toilets, and a good view. Only downside was the incredible high number of yellow jackets in the area and a fire restriction.

Not for those seeking quiet and seclusion

Easy to get to, but fills up VERY fast. Open spaces for large group camping. Fire pits at every campground and easy to walk to hiking trail. Most of the people camping there played loud music all night. Not exactly a get away from the city.

Some characters there, program local sheriff's number before going

It's a pretty nice little campground there's no water at least not that I've seen and there's a pit toilet that is probably the most disgusting toilet I've ever encountered I don't use it I don't go near it I bring a portable toilet every time I stay at this place. There can be some crazy characters and a lot of vagabonds that call this place home and sometimes you can hear some rambunctious conversations and activities which may lead you to want to call 911 but I would call the local sheriff since I'm sure they are very familiar with this campground. Lots of bugs, really nice tables, some of the spots have pretty deteriorated fire pits but they work and I'd say most of the spots have a good place for a hammock.

Lovely little campground

This is a hike in campground that has stoves and a creek running through. The sites are nicely spaced and there is plenty of shade. Perfect little backpacking trip.

Glorified parking lot

This campground has a great location but has absolutely no privacy

Typical Beach Campground

Much like most California Beach Campgrounds, it is very crowded with little privacy. The beach is great but it is basically a glorified parking lot

1st Campground on TCT

We were only there for one night and arrived at Dusk. Its not the best campground but it had water and a bathroom, it did its job but it isnt somewhere I would use a destination

Quiet except for trains

Stayed here a few times — quiet except for trains electric and sewer hook ups

Quiet and Close By

Whenever I need to get away from LALA Land, I head up here.  I grew up in the mountains of western Pennsylvania, so , sometimes , I need to kick back and recharge. Sort of going back to factory settings, as it were.

There are lots of cool spots up here and plenty of quiet.  Whether you like to hike, or fish or just kick back, this is a nice little hidey hole to do it in. There is a small , 2 acre lake that is occasionaly  stocked with fish. Not so often during drought, though.

There are few amenities , such as no showers no close by stores, or other distractions. There is a small concessionaire store near the Ranger outpost.  It may or may not be open, depending on the fire danger and the time of year.  Take your own food, water and anything else you need to regain your sanity and go up here.

Don't forget your bear canister for your food. There are bears and other wildlife that live up here year round.

Enjoy the peace and quiet and reclaim your soul.

Wonderful park. Plenty of grassy areas and you are not on top of your neighbor. Access to the lake to go fishing.

Best Place in Chino to Get Away

Chino Hills State Park has a campground with a small number of spots. These hills are amazing after a good rain. This year it was a good place to see the wildflowers. Unfortunately the campground has been closed for awhile due to water line construction but should open in December 2019.  There's plenty of restrooms and parking. There's also a number of hiking trails that leave from the campground.  The only cell service is on top of the closest hill.  Its a good spot for a quick getaway from the city.

One of my favorite spots!

I have camped here a few times and it is one of my favorite go to spots. I like that there is a camp store near by just incase case someone forgets their coffee mug🙄 or if you need some more firewood. The spots are inexpensive, $10 per night, most nights. There are lots of trails to hike and things to explore. It's a nice place to go when you need to get away from the city.

Good Overnighter

This is a good spot to spend the night. It’s close to Ice House Canyon trail.

Great fun little trial

Me and my girlfriend decided to go on this trail with our two doggos on a hot 95 degree day and we had such a good time the waterfall trail is nothing but shade provided by the trees foliage and the creek kept our dogs cool as they would jump in and out of the small pools we had a great time we hung out at the waterfall as it's a gorgeous spot to hang out we were also the only ones there the trail is only half a mile but we definitely took our time as it's a gorgeous trail would recommend it to anyone

We lucked out with this little gem

We were looking for a place to plop the night before hiking Bridge to Nowhere and stumbled into this little campground.  There wasn't a lot of options since it's first-come, but we found a great little spot right on a stream to set up.  The ranger came buy to say hello and he ended up giving us some advice on the weather and a warning about the hike.  If there's weather coming it can get dangerous fast!  The skies were blue on the hike out but suddenly hail started and it down poured!  I've never been so scared of a flashflood in my life so we ran the 5 miles out to safety.  It was pretty memorable!  Definitely do that hike if you stay here!

Will not return.

The campsites are along a busy road. Lots of noise and lights during the night. The lake was absolutely disgusting. Dead fish all along the shore and floating in the water. Gross and stagnant, overrun with mosquitos.

Hidden Gem

I loved this place, this hidden gem is located in the in the middle of the city, with the feel of the outdoor. Lots of trees, biking and hiking trails, fishing area, beautiful views, very peaceful, family friendly, pet friendly, the C9 RV spot was very spacious, I also liked the A & B area. Not every site has a fire pit. Definitely coming back again.

Great hidden away spot

Fairly easy hike in (after the 1st mike at least!) went over Labor Day weekend when it was its “busiest” and was still not very packed. Campsite is very nice looking and has a great natural spring by that has water year round. Bear lockers and back country ovens. One of My favorite places.