Pinnacles National Park, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Pinnacles National Park
Most Recent Pinnacles National Park Camping Reviews
By the river

It was a great first time experience camping, very friendly service at the entrance and answered all the question we had.

Pros By the river Neat restrooms Tap water

Cons To many camps site around, almost near to each other, we where lucky to find a good one site 26

My Second Choice Campground In Big Sur

This is my second choice campground right in Big Sur. Not because I really like it, I've been there when it was too crowded, but because it has similar qualities to my favorite campground across the road -Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

In the summer the campground is thick with families and RVs/trailers, and tent campers. But off season the place mellows out and there is room to move. The campground is on either side of the Big Sur River, RVs and trailers on one side, tent campers on the other.

Amenities are there, but the free showers on the tent camping side of the campground are better than the pay for showers on the RV side. Every time I've had a meal at the restaurant there has been a different menu and style. Maybe they change chefs every season, but it's not a far drive down to Deetjen's for breakfast if one is up for a treat. The Fernwood General Store has a good selection of food items, wood for the fire, and a few camp supplies.

My most recent stay here was in July 2019, on my sister's vacation with her RV. We had spot number 9 which was smack dab in the middle of everything which was not my preference, but my sister loved it. When I have a choice, I tent camp or vanlife in Big Sur between September and April.

I would give it between 3 and 4 stars, depending on season and how much you like to be around other people.

Love this campground

This campground is very nice. It’s a good place with large spots, flush toilets, hot coin showers, place for your dish, pet allowed and calm.

Hidden Jem in the Monterey bay!

This first come first serve campground is amazing! It’s only $35 a night with one extra vehicle costing only $9 more. RVs are limited to 25’ and smaller and They don’t have any hookups but a pump out and potable water fill station is available below the lower restrooms by the entrance. Super easy self registration with availability on most weekdays and weekends if you get here before mid afternoon. Oh and They’re are deer on the field every night. Definitely recommend staying here for up to three nights at a time.

It's obviously nice, just not my fav

This campground is great because of its location and yes, you look out over a beautiful view.  I felt like it was a little too open for my liking because I prefer some privacy when I camp, but you can't be too picky in paradise.  Take advantage of all the amazing hikes - especially because most will lead you to a waterfall.  And walk down to the beach because you might find a jade stone or see an elephant walrus!

Beach & Woods... Best of both worlds

This is a great campground that I would highly suggest.  The sites aren't big, but who cares!  #1 has an amazing ocean view, #29, 23, 24, 25 have amazing redwoods surrounding them.  There's a little creek running through that goes out to the water. The beach is rocky but beautiful and private.  The trail leads to a gorgeous waterfall.  You can't lose, this place is one of a kind!

Loved the river hike!

Went during memorial weekend last year, quite busy! The area was nice but we loved the river hike the most. That was so much fun and adventurous. It kept us occupied for a good 3-4 hours. On the other side of the river we heard there were waterfalls but we didn’t explore in that direction. A lot of people brought their grill and were hanging out on the banks of the river. Campground had a curfew but the campers did not care for it and blasted their music until 2 am. After reporting it to the park ranger, the people had some decency to stop the music earlier (12 AM). The camp sites were not too close and not too far from each other and it was very spacious.

Wonderful wildlife sounds, hiking trails, and more

CAMPFIRES ARE NOT ALLOWED HERE. Not even in the fire rings at each site!

We enjoyed seeing LOTS of wildlife in Pinnacles from our campsite: California quail scurrying up a hill, mule deer, and raptors of all kinds. Lots of nocturnal animal activity!

But the campsites themselves were dispersed around a parking lot -- not much more to it, and very little shade or barrier between sites. Quiet hours were not enforced at all. People were loud through the night.

Wrong name was written on our placard so we worried all night that someone would accuse us of taking their spot, even though we had reserved. and pre-paid for the one we were in. Camping host was indifferent to this error.

Great National Park, though, and seemed to be the only camping option in the area.

Beautiful place!

Really enjoyed this campground. Crazy how the day before it was sunny bright and the next day it started snowing. Best time of my life. There are lots of hiking trails with wonderful scenic views. The trail will take you all around and back probably like a 6-7 mile hike. Great for hunting wild pig, deer, turkey, doves during their season. Lots of wildlife here. There is also a creek at the bottom of the mountain along the trail.

Redwoods and California Coast

You are deep within the magic of Big Sur. Come here to relax and recharge.  This camp is close to nothing - in a good way! Escape your phone.

We enjoyed short hikes to see waterfall and like kilns with no one else on the trail.

The camp sites near the ocean seemed a bit windy in November, but we were cozy in the trees.

Nice and Minimal

Family friendly and clean, lots of kids when we stayed. Campsites aren’t too close together but don’t expect too much privacy. Each spot has a picnic table, fire pit, and charcoal grill. Water spouts disbursed around. Bathroom flushed but sink water wasn’t running (there wasn’t soap anyways.)

You can vaguely hear the cars on the 1 but not too much. From our spot we could see the ocean though a space in the trees. We walked across the street to a nice hike around the beach that was beautiful.

Magical Wooded Adventure with the Redwoods

Fernwood is a unique campground because it has tent sites, RV spaces, canvas tents, cabins, a motel and even a restaurant. It’s situated on the river in Big Sur, and is surrounded by the majestic Redwood trees. If you don’t feel like cooking head up to the restaurant for a delicious meal. There’s also a small market to pick up necessities and ice.

Decent area

Campsites were well kept, a little close to neighbors but not on top of each other. Great for a long weekend.

Beautiful view, hiking and campground amazing!

No fires allowed, spacious sites, must book in advance. Raccoons will come through at night, must make sure everything is put away and secure. Breathtaking views and hiking trails are challenging yet worth it!

Beautiful, spacious campsites

1. Spacious campsites

2. Bathrooms were clean

3.  Flushing toilets

4. Picnic table and fire pit at campsite

Would be perfect if it weren't for wild pigs

Bathrooms are extremely clean and well kept. The lake is nice (and you may spot geese or ducks), and there's plenty of room for kids to run around. There are food lockers since wild pigs come out at night. Be sure to lock all food up! They will roam through the camp ground all through the night if anyone has left any food out. They also leave lots of droppings that are pretty sizable - but surprisingly don't smell that much considering the quantity and well, what it is.

Would really love to come again if it weren't for the wild pigs!

Redwoods

Great campground but was not able to pick a campsite before I got there,First come first served. Luckily I was there with my son the first night and was able to pick a great site at 9:00 a.m. the next morning. the big downside is slit of the sites are walk in, you park your car and have to bring your tent, cooler and everything else up a dirt path, for $85 dollars a night? They have showers and bathrooms, but way to far away from each other. Beautiful but not worth the money.

3 days 2 nights

Good family camping. Restrooms and showers were clean and available. Enjoyed a nice hike, there is poison oak on the trails but they are well maintained.

Beautiful but pricey

Ventana Campground is nestled among a gorgeous Redwood forest. I stayed at campsite 38 and a small creek went right through my campground and ran off onto a small waterfall. I slept like a log every night listening to the sound of the flowing creek. However, the campground is part of a resort and although the showers and bathrooms were always very clean it was a very costly campsite. The sites are also pretty close together. I stayed for four nights and had only one night of peace and quiet. I think you can probably find much better sites inside the park but Ventana is a nice option for a reservable site and a pretty campground.

I Could Live Here

Truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever camped. The stars are out of this world, the Milky Way spans the entire sky.

We stayed 2 nights but could have stayed many more. We did have raccoon visitors each night but as long as you keep your belongings secure it’s no issue.

We went night bathing at the Esalen Institute which was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. Highly recommend trying to coincide your trip with their night bathing they open to the public every so often. It’s from 1-3am and is unlike anything I’ve ever done before. It’s clothing optional. We saw a constant stream of shooting stars.

Very Unhappy

I have to disagree with the vast majority of reviews on this site for this campground. After reading all of these reviews, I was very excited to camp here! We even splurged and got one of the "ocean" campsites. However, we were very very very disappointed. Their ocean campsites are mostly located on a large dirt lot directly under highway 1. There is no separation between you and the next campsite other than a log or some rocks so expect zero privacy. The highway itself is very loud throughout the day and into the night. The bathrooms were very dirty all the time with mud, dirt, and large trashcans that were constantly full. The showers also were out of order. The squirrels are pretty vicious here and it is sadly due to the improper trash policy this campground has. The trashcans are simply metal trashcans without any type of lock on them. Throughout the day and the night, squirrels and birds would get the lid off the trashcan and rummage through the trash. Unfortunately, it does not appear that the rangers of the campground do much educating on proper interactions with wildlife either as the vast majority of other visitors were also seen feeding the squirrels. It may seem harmless, but it is very unhealthy for these animals!

The hike to the waterfall and the limekilns was pleasant and definitely pretty. It was a short hike and we completed both in about an hour and a half. The beach is also nice overall.

Glamping Approved

This place is nestled in the Carmel Valley and decently secluded. We booked a luxury gazebo situation which came with a queen bed (heated mattress) a fire pit and your own propane grill. There are areas for tents and RV’s as well and priced accordingly. The restrooms and showers are super clean and the staff is great. There is a heated pool and various hiking trails to keep you occupied. The only downfall is you’re a little close to other campers. You don’t get much space/privacy but it’s not too bad. I would come back for sure.

Pretty but lacks privacy.

This site has showers, water, bathrooms and trash bins. There are a lot of sites and I reserved mine to guarantee a spot as it does fill up. It has beach access that is easy to get to and is very beautiful! The sites do not really have any boundaries between them and I could see everyone’s site. Definitely could use some shrubs or trees so each site isn’t in full view of Each other.

Hot

Beautiful weather! Nice campground.fire pit and grill. Trees all around. Latrine.

Amazing

Very beautiful. Pricey. Fresh.

Nice hiking trails

The campground has well spaced spots nice bathrooms but horrible pay showers, definitely bring your shower shoes. The rv spots have electric hookups but no water or sewer. Very warm in summer no fires allowed. If you are looking to explore the caves March or October is when they are fully open. The park gets quite busy on weekends, parking lots at the trails are usually full by 10am, make sure you get an early start.

Beautiful rock formations and caves

Summer is not the best time to go. It gets hot and you can’t have fires I went in late June and it was bearable to do an early hike, but bat caves may be closed in summer. That said the nights were beautiful full of stars and warm. They have a pool that will be full of kids but feels really refreshing after a hot hike. There was a lot of wildlife. Some sites are close together, but not all so check them carefully. There were big Oaks in most campsites that offer some shade. The bathrooms were fine, but the showers really needed some help.

Beautiful redwoods

This is a private campground and a little pricey compared to public campgrounds, but quite reasonable compared to staying in a hotel in the area. Location is great with nearby hiking or beach going. The bathrooms were clean and slightly nicer than usual, but I’ve been to other private campgrounds with better bathrooms. Most sites are close together, but a few are nicely separated, so pick carefully.

Big

Awesome park very big and trails and track for all experience levels been riding this place since I was a kid and pretty packed on weekend now days but trails have been better maintained

Lots of Shade and Easy Access to the Coast

We were able to get a site without any problems during the weekend. The site was large and there were TONS of sites and loops. The redwoods gave tons of cover and space to set up hammocks.

You can walk over and see McWay Falls on the path. You are also within walking distance to the beach as well. This site is one of the largest in the park so it is usually pretty packed but we happened to go when there were rockslides on the 1 so it was easy to find a spot.

There were full bathrooms and trash receptacles all around the park. There are raccoons and small critters in the area so keep your food stored properly. It is also a large campground with lots of traffic so make sure that your belongings are stored and not laying around.