Inyo National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Inyo National Forest Camping Reviews
Camp 4

This first come first serve campsite is at the base of upper Yosemite falls trail. The scenery you get from staying here is truly bliss, the way the mountains look around you are so picturesque that it is truly art alive. Being there really gave me perspective on how truly amazing our planet is. The campsite is in between a grove or trees and so it’s shaded from the heat. There’s bus stops that take you all through the valley and a valley loop trail if you desire the more scenic route. The best campsite experience!!

Campsite in a beautiful aspen grove

We went to this site over Labor Day weekend and were able to find a spot without too much difficulty. There is the most glorious aspen grove right next to some of the campsites and a nice home along the River. Beautiful and private camp sites. There was a large group next to us and we were able to get enough privacy.

Great, quiet campground!

Small campground with 5 sites, fires and pets are allowed. You get a lot of day hikers and backpackers coming through, but it is fairly quiet and very friendly. Plenty of hiking trails! Campsites are also fairly large.

Middle of Yosemite Valley

Beautiful campground within walking distance to multiple waterfall hiking trails. Close to the village. Right in the middle of the valley. Be aware of the time of year if you stay here, traffic in the valley can be nasty. And it may not be fun after a day of hiking to have to drive back into the valley

Perfect for the weekend getaway

Perfect campground to get away for the weekend. Almost every time I have been here we see lots of deer. Nice hiking trails, beautiful scenery.

Great for all sizes

Spots large enough for almost all size rigs. Tents too. Good bathroom amenities and swimming pool/spa. Playground. Walking distance to town. Great walking paths. Choose to camp under the shade of the pines on a dirt pad or in the clean, parking lot style section.

This place never lets us down.

Pleasant Campground Out of Yosemite

After a wildfire forced the closure of Highway 395, I ended up at Lower Lee Vining Campground for a night. Pleasant campground with clean pit toilets and a river toward the back side. Pay and put the envelope in the box. I got in late, but had lovely neighbors who invited me to sit by their campfire. They came up every year for the past couple of decades and said since the installation of bear boxes (which everyone uses), they had not seen any bears in camp. (The infamous "Yosemite bears" used to come down into camp apparently.) Cheap, nice, quiet and shady. I'd stay here again.

Alpine Beauty, quiet lake

This is a large campground with many many sites, but most are well spaced so you don't feel too crowded. The campground is maintained well. We stayed in the north-west part of the campground, and our site was classified as a "walk-in site." We did have to park about 20 yards away, but this was totally worth it to have a site literally right on the lake. During our time here, there was a massive ladybug migration which was really cool. Huntington Lake is beautiful and quiet - motorized boats are not allowed. there are a couple of stores, and a couple of marinas on the lake, so it's easy to pick up supplies and ice if needed. On the south end there is a little cafe that sometimes hosts live music as well.

Classic Yosemite Camping

Close to Happy Isles and Mirror Lake/Meadow, this campground is convenient for day hikers. it's one of the better spots in Yosemite Valley, somewhat off the beaten path, so to speak. Access to the Merced river is also close-by, so you can cool off after a long day of hiking. It's no secret that this is a high-use high-traffic area, but braving the crowds is worth it to spend a few days and nights under the Yosemite sky.

Its Yosemite!

Ggreat site tucked away on Northside. Can get busy.

“Glamping” in a magical place

Yosemite Valley is pure magic and Half Dome Village is no exception. It’s definitely more “glamping” than camping and the tents feel like cabins and are very close together. Bathrooms are nice and there’s a store, bar, cafeteria, coffee shop and pizza place to take care of your needs. It does have a bit of a party atmosphere at night as folks from other campgrounds gather at the bar/pizza spot but the tent area was pretty quiet (save for me hearing someone peeing outside my tent one night…). Dark at night, bring a headlamp or flashlight.

Biggest complaint is the price. Location can’t be beat but it’s so expensive for canvas tents that aren’t super clean and are smushed together. I love Half Dome Village but next time will probably camp elsewhere and shuttle in for pizza and beer.

Shaver lake is awesome!

It's a pretty RV park. The hiking trails are great, scenery was amazing! There are fire rings and picnic tables. There is a great store that has everything you could want or need! Bathroom review, again: the cleanest! Flush toilets and coin operated showers! There are water spigots and an outdoor sink area for dishes, so helpful! Racoon and squirrels are always around looking for food, so I just use a bear can and store my food,here. It's just easier. RV sites and REALLY LARGE tent sites! Some of the biggest I've been to. The fishing was good, the only con is music is not permitted at all. Bring headphones. You will be asked to turn it off and possibly leave.

The Valley is good, if you don't know where else to camp.

If you are a new camper, that likes to be around a lot of people, any of the Valley campgrounds are great. For me, it is way too busy. I want to get out of the city, and with the amount of people I felt claustrophobic.

With that said, Yosemite is one of the most majestic places on the planet, and I don't care where you camp, just go! Each site has a bear box, please be sure to use it, you will encounter numerous wildlife while you are here, and they all want your food! They also come with fire pits and picnic tables.

I didnt spend alot of time at my campground due to the fact that the valley has numerous hiking trails, so many waterfalls, lectures nightly on different environmental topics.

Be sure to reserve your site well in advance. Spring is best time to go, but seriously, just go!

Great staff

Amazing staff and location is convenient and has the Fresno river running through along with some hiking trails.

Beautiful but busy

The campsites are lovely with some privacy. The bathrooms are adequate. Everyone seems to stay up late and wake early to enjoy the park. Be prepared for some traffic and long drives to places within the park. The bear lockers are easy to use and convenient. Ultimately, it is stunning!

Yosemite without the crowds

Summerdale is a little gem right outside Yosemite. The sites are well spaced and private, unlike what you will find in the park. My family and I have visited Summerdale about 10 times so far, and it is one of our faves.

Fishing: Can be GREAT! But at times, has been really bad. We've often caught our limit each day (trout) and snagged some crawfish to boot. But, we've also had a couple of experiences when we didn't get a single bite.

The Creek is lovely - good for swimming wading, and has several slow shallow spots where you can put your chair in and enjoy the afternoon. I have seen beavers in the creek south of the campground.

Facilities: Pit toilets, trash service and piped water. All good quality and well maintained. The campground is CLEAN. I've never seen a cleaner campground.

HWY 41 noise: Yes, its there fairly consistently from about 8am-6pm. Passenger cars are not terribly noticeable, but larger vehicles and noisy vehicles are more so. Nights are punctuated by an occasional Harley accelerating up the hill, and an occasional hot rod blowing by. But most times, the creek makes enough noise that it drowns out all but the loudest highway noise.

Nice enough

We were visiting friends in Manteca and this was the only campground not flooded! It was nice enough. There are a lot of long time residents.

Under the Trees

We had a sweet, short stay at this campground. We called day-of and were able to get a reservation. In late March for spring break, the 5,000 elevation of this camp meant there was still snow on the ground, but the road and camping spots were snow free. It also meant the bathrooms were also closed for the season.

The morning sunrise through the trees and the quick drive down the road to Calaveras Big Trees State Park made this a perfect spot to stop for the night. Great cell coverage on Verizon.

The little town of Arnold you drive through to get there reminded me of Tahoe or Mt. Hood. I wish we’d planned to have a meal at one of the cute restaurants and pubs in the area.

A Family Favorite

Wawona has been our yearly family vacation destination since I was a kid. We never grow tire of it! The river and swimming holes are close by and accessible to all, sites have ample space between each other, there are clean restrooms, and all sites have their own bear box. There's a local store nearby in case you need to pick up something. The road to the valley from Wawona is windy, I'd say about 45 minutes. It's a nice play to stay away from the Yosemite crowds and we'll keep coming back year-after-year.

Nice amenities - try to get a spot overlooking Lake Mary

Beautiful area. Beautiful view. Nice restrooms. Good fishing and hiking in the area!

Nice campground , good fishing , and wonderful hiking !

I go to Rock Creek every year! Nice campground, good fishing, wonderful hiking! Stop by Pie In The Sky Cafe to get wonderful fresh fruit pie! Hike up to Heart Lake and Gem Lakes.

My family has been coming here since the 1940’s!

Try to get a spot along the creek! Nice and quiet. Great fishing and hiking! Don’t miss hiking up the North Fork of Big Pine Creek to the upper lakes! Beautiful!!!!

beautiful and somewhat remote

Backcountry camping with several swimming spots, decent fishing and meals and hot showers! If you feel rich, this is a place for a big treat. Tent cabins with basic sleeping set up and a nice spot to sit around a group fire. The ranger talks can be a little much but easy to sneak off and enjoy the quiet. Food is fantastic and the folks who work there are super friendly. A nice loop is to walk in via Tenaya Lake, pass through the Mansfields and over to Merced Lake - a very doable 15 mile one day. Exit out through Happy Isles - about the same distance.

Beautiful springs

Great little hotsprings in a relatively accessible spot. They are situated right by the creek and I loved how quiet and unused the area is. The canyon can get chilly (esp. in winter months) just get from your campfire to the springs to your tent quickly.

Backpacking to half dome

One of the nicest backpacking campgrounds. Nice bathrooms and right next to a clean blue river perfect for swimming in! Surrounded by granite rocks in one of the most wonderful place Yosemite

Great backpacking

Really nice place to backpack the lake is so nice and private. You’ll meet a lot of people hiking the pct or jmt our here. The lower vermillion camp has a full store with a bar and tv’s. Also a fair leaves from out to here

Methuselah mission

Nice and quiet campsites at over 8,000 ft elevation. Worth the drive up some windy roads to wake up close to the ancient bristle cone forest.

Stop on the way to Edison lake

Probably one of my favorite spots I camped. Camp site was clean with a fire pit and table. Had a bear box. We got one right next to the creek. Had some mosquitoes but nothing some spray and fire couldn’t help. Had some bathrooms with in walking distance all around good spot

Fan favorite

Great camp site with lake views. 1/4 of the trees had to be cut down do to bark beetles. Get camp sites closer to the dam side of the camp ground for lots of shade.

Great Creek Camping

The Campsites are far enough apart to feel like you are all alone in the woods! The Kaiser Creek provides hours of fun for the kids and you are close enough to trail heads for the adveture seekers in your group. You can plan a great group camp with some sites close together.