Whiskeytown National Recreation Area, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Whiskeytown National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Large, spaced out sites, water & bathrooms, serentiy

If you don't mind quite a few neighbors, this campground is awesome. There are numerous spaces and you can really get far away from people if you'd like to- as the bulk of them stay nearest the water.  There are bathrooms, flush toilets, showers, a café, ice cream shop, and kayak/paddleboard/paddleboat rentals at the lake- not to mention a huge inflatable play area. The campground is large and spacious- enshrouded by gorgeous mixed conifers and tons of wildflowers- all with a view of Mount Shasta and lake access. What could be better for a large campground really? Only 4 miles outside of Mount shasta City. Beautiful!

Beautiful campground

Great campsites and clean facility, plenty of great places to see in the area and wonderful lake access

Great campground

Beautiful scenery and clean facility and sites are setup well with good privacy. Lake view is beautiful as long as the lake is up

Loved this campground

Not too far from the river and it's a quiet campground with great sites. Beautiful location

Nice spots right off the lake

Drive in and group camp spots with some sites right off the lake (though some spots had rocky beaches). Pretty views of the lake! Bathrooms, trash, and yurts available.

Beautiful, unstructured sites with easy lake access

Not a lot of amenities if you’re looking for hookups or anything beyond a place to set up camp, but we were able to set up camp right on the lake in a beautiful spot. Porta-potties were available, and “spots” were first come first serve. Lake access was easy and swimming was great!

Lots campground lots of activities for families clean

I Love This Campground! Fun, Clean, Lots to Do

I loved this campground! Would go back in a heartbeat. This was the first KOA I've ever stayed in, and I was worried it would be too cheesy/boring (in comparison to the forest/state/national park ones I tend to love), but it was totally fun.

Pros: Lots of clean bathrooms, warm swimming pool, lots to do including a whole forested area with swings, a fort, etc., games, ping pong, decent sized sites. Close to the entrance to Lassen Park.

Cons: Some tent sites were better than others. My favorite tent sites were T6. T7, T8 and especially T13.

Beautiful place to stay!

I absolutely loved camping here with friends. And we already can’t wait to book another trip! Breath-taking view of Mt. Shasta was just around the corner from our site. Very clean, family/pet friendly, hiking, fishing, and swimming! Overall a wonderful stay!

Small but nice

There are only a few spots and I think they fill up pretty quickly.

Lovely family campground

Very quiet during the week. Staff extremely helpful when our schedule changed. Weather was great and Park not that crowded.

Ranger Review: RŌM Pack at Shasta Lake

Campground Review: No matter where you find yourself on Shasta Lake you will be surrounded in houseboats and the beauty of the lake. On the way in (heading south on I-5 you will see Mt. Shasta in all of its glory standing in a blanket of hills and trees. There are plenty of cool places to drive for a better view if you can stomach some hilly land and loose sand, and the spider webbed lake won’t disappoint any way you approach it. When you’re camping in a roof top tent (Kukeman 3 by Tepui) any place with semi flat ground is a good place to camp! Though the drive from Seattle is quite long, it’s worth it once you get a load of the view of the lake and the bridge you’ll soon forget the hours you spent in the car. I highly recommend coming here and tent camping, car camping, cabin camping, or houseboat camping.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review some great and often very practical products. This trip I was lucky enough to review RŌM Pack, a blanket, poncho, and tent in one.

This little combo is heavy duty and ready to take a beating. It may start out as a backpack, but as soon as you need a place to sit the soft inside and waterproof outside is ready for the job. I went straight to the RŌM Pack when I spilled water on the mattress of my Roof Top Tent and it kept us dry all night. The poncho feature is very warm, and it was very warm at Shasta Lake (about 80 degrees) so I didn’t get to test out that feature too much, but the pack is very comfortable on your back, as a blanket. And as a way to keep you warm once it cools off. There are plenty of places to stash things (like a snack or a drink)! I’d recommend this to anyone who wants a tough blanket for outdoor activities, but also a durable bag and poncho. It’s very nice looking, stylish, and durable.

Nice but over priced for the condition of the sites

aThis is a nice campground in Northern California with lots of things to do from boating on low MPH lake - fishing - trails around lake and a swimming hole. We've been coming here for years and over the past 5 or so they have let a lot of debris lay aroung the campsites and have cut down most the shade trees but still a fun place to camp i gave it a 3 star based on the price and over all condition of the sites

Private

This campground was empty the night I stayed but camp hosts were welcoming and told me everything I needed to know. Campsite booked was near bathroom and a loud water something or other, but camp hosts were more than happy to move me to a new site. Beautiful land with manzanitas all around.

Mountain fresh

Camp right above the river. Most likely, you will have a campground to yourself. Not too far from a glacier lake, so good for hiking. Bears not too far away.

Rustic. Serene. Camp smart. Trinity River awesomeness.

Find a spot and enjoy. No cell service. BOLO for bears and possibly wild boars. Trinity River access, so enjoy swimming, kayaking if the rapids aren't too intense. Pan for gold if you're so inclined. A wonderful area to reconnect with nature.

Secluded Campground

Nice little campground right next to a pretty river.  When I stayed I was the only one at the campground.  The sites are near the road but it seemed to have light usage and I never heard cars in the night.

No running water (unless you filter from the river) and no trash services, just a pit toilet.

This campground is a great place to stay before heading into the Trinity Alps.  A 20 minute drive on a dirt road leads to the China Gultch Trailhead, a popular trail leading to Grizzly Lake.

I would definitely recommend this site to anyone headed into the Alps.

Decent campground with a large loop and smaller loop

Stayed at the smaller loop last June. Bugs were bad but got to talk with PCT thru hikers who were at the reserved PCT site next to me.

Beautiful walk to the lake and close to trailheads

I love Trinity! This is a great place to camp if you’re planning on day hiking since it’s central to a lot of trailheads.

love the lake spots!

last time we visited the water was out of service at the drive in camp spots. to get to the lake access sites you have to get permission to drive past the gate. dogs cost $2 each night. a few of the signs pointing the way were broken.

Nice KOA with Pool Next to Lassen

Well-appointed, forested RV and camp/KOA spot near the entry to Lassen National Volcanic Park. The KOA has a wonderful swimming pool, a great outdoor game area, dirt-bike trails for the kids, rope swings, and a fort. Camp sites are nice if not a little small, though many have water and.or electricity available. RV spots are gravel pads but with full hookups available. There are also cabins available.

The main office has a small shop for food and other necessities, laundry facilities and showers available. My one critique is that while is says it has wi-fi, it is incredibly sporty and slow.

The real advantage to this location is it puts you at the doorstep of amazing Lassen, as it’s only 20 minutes away.

More RV Park than Campground

We camped in a tent, but most others were in RVs. It was very rowdy and loud at night but the campgrounds are in a good location next to Shasta Lake.

Family Tradition

Love going to Lake Siskiyou. My family has been going the week of 4th of July for almost 30 years. It has a nice beach, boat ramp, party boat rentals, general store, restaurant, bar, arcade, laundry. My only complain is this last year the trashcans were changed to dumpsters (probably due to bears), but the dumpsters were locked during times that people needed them so people would dump their trash outside the dumpster or bathrooms, thus attracting bears more than the old trashcans. I hope they fix that before I return next year.

Beautiful, peaceful area!

This campground was a great - and free! - place to stay! There aren’t very many campsites, but if you get there early, or go at a time of year when it’s not busy, it’s not hard to get a site. We went in the fall, and there was only one other site taken that night. It is right down the road from Castle lake, which is beautiful, and the hike up to Heart Lake and Castle Peak is one of my favorites in the area! On a clear day, you can see some of the mountains in Oregon!

Very nice

very Large with many different types of sites. Bathrooms are older but clean. Lake area was not crowded

Shasta is breathtaking pictures can’t do it justice A place to experience lakes streams hiking camping boating snow sports water sports the great outdoors !!

Hidden Gem off of i5

I always stay here to break up the drive to Seattle. There’s a gas station just before the campground where you can grab beer and dogs for a nice night under the stars. The campgrounds are well equipped with grates, picnic tables, bathrooms with running water, and there’s always plenty of dry wood. There are trails to the Sacramento River that are beautiful and a great spot to fish if you like catch trout on the fly. There’s also another trail up to a viewpoint of the crags. On top of that, it’s NEVER crowded and you can usually pick between a bunch of great sites.

Dusry and mucky beach, but the water makes up for it

The water in the reservoir is beautiful. You should definitely have a boat if you stay in this Campground. It's Shangri-La.

Rv Park. Seems like some permanent residences here.

Really we’re just looking for a place to sleep and hook up. Easy hookup. Rvs right next to each other in a small lot, surrounded by permanent mobile homes. Laundry available, close to the town of weed. Very strange characters here. We were approached by several homeless people going through here. The staff/ owners were super nice. They keep food in the rec room for people who are hard up. They had fresh produce in the fridge. We didn’t need any…actually dropped a few of our extra items off. I thought it was super nice that they do this. Not the cleanest place, but if you were just looking for somewhere to hook up and sleep near beautiful mt shady, the place is sufficient.

Beautiful mountain camping

This is a neat little mountain campground with a nice little lake I would have gave a higher score but felt the over charge as rate only included 2 ppl most ppl camping have children with them I don’t agree with the charge per child they also charge per pet and per vehicle after one…:-( The sitters are nice for the most part with a few it no shade dry grass area of the resort