the dyrt
Whiskeytown National Recreation Area, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Whiskeytown National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Beautiful place to stay!

I absolutely loved camping here with friends. And we already can’t wait to book another trip! Breath-taking view of Mt. Shasta was just around the corner from our site. Very clean, family/pet friendly, hiking, fishing, and swimming! Overall a wonderful stay!

Small but nice

There are only a few spots and I think they fill up pretty quickly.

Lovely family campground

Very quiet during the week. Staff extremely helpful when our schedule changed. Weather was great and Park not that crowded.

Ranger Review: RŌM Pack at Shasta Lake

Campground Review: No matter where you find yourself on Shasta Lake you will be surrounded in houseboats and the beauty of the lake. On the way in (heading south on I-5 you will see Mt. Shasta in all of its glory standing in a blanket of hills and trees. There are plenty of cool places to drive for a better view if you can stomach some hilly land and loose sand, and the spider webbed lake won’t disappoint any way you approach it. When you’re camping in a roof top tent (Kukeman 3 by Tepui) any place with semi flat ground is a good place to camp! Though the drive from Seattle is quite long, it’s worth it once you get a load of the view of the lake and the bridge you’ll soon forget the hours you spent in the car. I highly recommend coming here and tent camping, car camping, cabin camping, or houseboat camping.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review some great and often very practical products. This trip I was lucky enough to review RŌM Pack, a blanket, poncho, and tent in one.

This little combo is heavy duty and ready to take a beating. It may start out as a backpack, but as soon as you need a place to sit the soft inside and waterproof outside is ready for the job. I went straight to the RŌM Pack when I spilled water on the mattress of my Roof Top Tent and it kept us dry all night. The poncho feature is very warm, and it was very warm at Shasta Lake (about 80 degrees) so I didn’t get to test out that feature too much, but the pack is very comfortable on your back, as a blanket. And as a way to keep you warm once it cools off. There are plenty of places to stash things (like a snack or a drink)! I’d recommend this to anyone who wants a tough blanket for outdoor activities, but also a durable bag and poncho. It’s very nice looking, stylish, and durable.

Nice but over priced for the condition of the sites

aThis is a nice campground in Northern California with lots of things to do from boating on low MPH lake - fishing - trails around lake and a swimming hole. We've been coming here for years and over the past 5 or so they have let a lot of debris lay aroung the campsites and have cut down most the shade trees but still a fun place to camp i gave it a 3 star based on the price and over all condition of the sites

Private

This campground was empty the night I stayed but camp hosts were welcoming and told me everything I needed to know. Campsite booked was near bathroom and a loud water something or other, but camp hosts were more than happy to move me to a new site. Beautiful land with manzanitas all around.

Mountain fresh

Camp right above the river. Most likely, you will have a campground to yourself. Not too far from a glacier lake, so good for hiking. Bears not too far away.

Rustic. Serene. Camp smart. Trinity River awesomeness.

Find a spot and enjoy. No cell service. BOLO for bears and possibly wild boars. Trinity River access, so enjoy swimming, kayaking if the rapids aren't too intense. Pan for gold if you're so inclined. A wonderful area to reconnect with nature.

Secluded Campground

Nice little campground right next to a pretty river.  When I stayed I was the only one at the campground.  The sites are near the road but it seemed to have light usage and I never heard cars in the night.

No running water (unless you filter from the river) and no trash services, just a pit toilet.

This campground is a great place to stay before heading into the Trinity Alps.  A 20 minute drive on a dirt road leads to the China Gultch Trailhead, a popular trail leading to Grizzly Lake.

I would definitely recommend this site to anyone headed into the Alps.

Decent campground with a large loop and smaller loop

Stayed at the smaller loop last June. Bugs were bad but got to talk with PCT thru hikers who were at the reserved PCT site next to me.

Beautiful walk to the lake and close to trailheads

I love Trinity! This is a great place to camp if you’re planning on day hiking since it’s central to a lot of trailheads.

love the lake spots!

last time we visited the water was out of service at the drive in camp spots. to get to the lake access sites you have to get permission to drive past the gate. dogs cost $2 each night. a few of the signs pointing the way were broken.

Nice KOA with Pool Next to Lassen

Well-appointed, forested RV and camp/KOA spot near the entry to Lassen National Volcanic Park. The KOA has a wonderful swimming pool, a great outdoor game area, dirt-bike trails for the kids, rope swings, and a fort. Camp sites are nice if not a little small, though many have water and.or electricity available. RV spots are gravel pads but with full hookups available. There are also cabins available.

The main office has a small shop for food and other necessities, laundry facilities and showers available. My one critique is that while is says it has wi-fi, it is incredibly sporty and slow.

The real advantage to this location is it puts you at the doorstep of amazing Lassen, as it’s only 20 minutes away.

More RV Park than Campground

We camped in a tent, but most others were in RVs. It was very rowdy and loud at night but the campgrounds are in a good location next to Shasta Lake.

Family Tradition

Love going to Lake Siskiyou. My family has been going the week of 4th of July for almost 30 years. It has a nice beach, boat ramp, party boat rentals, general store, restaurant, bar, arcade, laundry. My only complain is this last year the trashcans were changed to dumpsters (probably due to bears), but the dumpsters were locked during times that people needed them so people would dump their trash outside the dumpster or bathrooms, thus attracting bears more than the old trashcans. I hope they fix that before I return next year.

Beautiful, peaceful area!

This campground was a great - and free! - place to stay! There aren’t very many campsites, but if you get there early, or go at a time of year when it’s not busy, it’s not hard to get a site. We went in the fall, and there was only one other site taken that night. It is right down the road from Castle lake, which is beautiful, and the hike up to Heart Lake and Castle Peak is one of my favorites in the area! On a clear day, you can see some of the mountains in Oregon!

Very nice

very Large with many different types of sites. Bathrooms are older but clean. Lake area was not crowded

Shasta is breathtaking pictures can’t do it justice A place to experience lakes streams hiking camping boating snow sports water sports the great outdoors !!

Hidden Gem off of i5

I always stay here to break up the drive to Seattle. There’s a gas station just before the campground where you can grab beer and dogs for a nice night under the stars. The campgrounds are well equipped with grates, picnic tables, bathrooms with running water, and there’s always plenty of dry wood. There are trails to the Sacramento River that are beautiful and a great spot to fish if you like catch trout on the fly. There’s also another trail up to a viewpoint of the crags. On top of that, it’s NEVER crowded and you can usually pick between a bunch of great sites.

Dusry and mucky beach, but the water makes up for it

The water in the reservoir is beautiful. You should definitely have a boat if you stay in this Campground. It's Shangri-La.

Rv Park. Seems like some permanent residences here.

Really we’re just looking for a place to sleep and hook up. Easy hookup. Rvs right next to each other in a small lot, surrounded by permanent mobile homes. Laundry available, close to the town of weed. Very strange characters here. We were approached by several homeless people going through here. The staff/ owners were super nice. They keep food in the rec room for people who are hard up. They had fresh produce in the fridge. We didn’t need any…actually dropped a few of our extra items off. I thought it was super nice that they do this. Not the cleanest place, but if you were just looking for somewhere to hook up and sleep near beautiful mt shady, the place is sufficient.

Beautiful mountain camping

This is a neat little mountain campground with a nice little lake I would have gave a higher score but felt the over charge as rate only included 2 ppl most ppl camping have children with them I don’t agree with the charge per child they also charge per pet and per vehicle after one…:-( The sitters are nice for the most part with a few it no shade dry grass area of the resort

Amazing

Stayed here 2 nights, beautiful campground, bathrooms were clean and stocked with the necessities. The only downside is being close to the freeway you can here traffic but it honestly wasnt too loud, it was only really at night when we went to bed that we could hear it.

So much family fun!

We came here for our summer camp trip from LA. There was 14 of us and one site was fine because they were so big. It took us 11 hours to drive there and even the little kids thought it was worth the drive. We had so much fun walking down to the lake fishing, swimming and playing with the dogs. The restrooms were clean. There was even some bigger sites that would have been even better for our big family. We’re looking forward to coming back.

Relaxation in the trees

Cute town and peaceful campground. Clean bathrooms and showers. Pool, game room, shuffle board, basketball court and off leash dog park. Lots of trees in the sites great for hammocking (in the tent sites). I would definitely stay here again.

Best view of Mt Shasta!

we camped a couple times in the dispersed camping area just below the marked Castle Lake campground. literally the best view of Mt Shasta ever. the roads to the campsites can get a bit narrow, so bringing in a trailer is a challenge, but we managed it ;)

Beautiful views

Positive: HUGE CAMPSITE to share with multiple friends. We had 4 tents on our site and we could have added 4 more. If you get a campsite near the water all you have to do is walk about 50 feet and all of the noise of screaming children and barking dogs go away! Bring your hammocks and kayaks! Beautiful place to relax at the water. Negatives: They have regular toilets that were constantly closed because people over-filled them. They have multiple bathrooms on the site so it was only a few more feet to find another one. If you are looking for a quiet campground I would look elsewhere. Dogs and children were up at 5am. There were multiple dogs barking all day.

awesome

So pretty. Did the normal tent camping which is nice at the upper campsites, got a paddle board and pretty much had the whole lake to ourselves

Not much privacy

There isn't a lot of privacy at this campground, but it's right next to the lake and makes for a good launching spot. There was a fire that clearly devastated the area - I'm sure there was once a lot of tree cover.

Please don’t waste your money here.

Horrific camping ground, $27 fee, owner is never present and the bathrooms and showers are locked.