About Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is located in California
25 Reviews of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
Beautiful redwoods

Lovely narrow canyon with towering Redwoods. Most sites are in the forest including the river sites which generally appear to be worth the upgrade. Plenty of space between many sites but site location is important. Showers were okay.

Incredible experience

Of course this campground is in one of the most beautiful places on earth, so for that alone it deserves five stars! In addition to that, the campground had all the amenities you would need. There are laundry facilities, general store, firewood for sale and alternative lodging facilities if camping isn’t your thing. We visited in August and the weather was perfect. It was warm enough during the day to dip in the streams that run through the camp and cool enough at night to sleep comfortably. The nights are pitch black because of the massive redwoods, it’s pretty amazing! The bathrooms were relatively clean, there were a lot of cobwebs that probably could have been easily cleaned but overall they were clean. There were so many things to do and see nearby, Monterey is about an hour drive and totally worth doing a day trip for. There is zero cell service for T-Mobile, I was completely disconnected from the outside world, it was wonderful.

Camping in the redwoods

I love big Sur and this state park just has it all.

Can’t wait to come back!

Great camping spot! You have a few hiking trails to choose from. Restroom and showers were clean. I’ll be back soon

Awesome, Beautiful Campground If You Get Good Neighbors

I lucked out and nabbed a site that someone had canceled at the last-minute, so I was able to stay among the majestic redwoods at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. My site was lovely, just a short walk from the bathrooms. In the evening, you could hear kids playing, a nearby group strumming on a guitar — all of the sounds you expect from a camping experience. Then my neighbors put up a giant big screen and proceeded to watch, while blaring the audio, "Finding Nemo" until late at night. After 10pm, I had to hike in the pitch black to find the camp host to get these people to stop. It seriously became my most awful camping experience — not because of the awesome campground, but because of the awful people. When I finally found the camp host (many host spots were empty and the hosts who were there ended up on the far side of the campground, which is very, very large), they opened their door and said "Camp site xx?" and said my camp site number. "We knew you were coming. We saw them setting that up earlier today." So the host drove me back to my site and dropped me near the bathroom so the neighbors would think the host was just cruising around checking on things. (That was nice of the host, really. It had taken a 20 minutes of walking to find him.) The people did finally shut down their movie operation. The next morning, they headed out on the hiking trails with their boom box blaring music.

So I'd definitely stay here again and hope for a better neighbor experience. I also hope the park is able to get more hosts to take on that volunteer role.

Excellent Camping in Big Sur

The site was beautiful, with many nice trails scattered about within the park. The lodge is not too far in case of any purchasing needs. Besides our loud neighbors, I would say that my group had an excellent time.

Calm, relaxing

Visited in July and was not crowded. Was able to take the dog on a few trails.

Beautiful area, crowded

Be careful on which site you pick, although on line doesn't explain well. Mine was on a bad slope and no way to level. Very crowded. Wood laying around all over but you cant use it. They want you to spend $10 on their wood. Drought has killed all grass, so lots of dirt. Tight roads wouldn't recommend anything over 28ft, and forget a trailer. Nasty black flies.

Peaceful Hike and Bike Camping

With a stream running near the hike and bike camping area and tall trees offering a cool shade it is a wonderful reprieve from the outside world.  The campground features a nice restaurant and gift shop/store. The hike and section area has a convenient restroom and shower area, a sink for washing items, a bear box, and a water faucet.

Clean , family fun campground