Kanawha Head , WEST VIRGINIA

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Kanawha Head Camping Reviews
Clean trails and beach

The lake offers great relaxation and the trails around the lake offer pretty views. Only wish that there were more trails available because it’s so beautiful in that area!!!

Great spot

Great dispersed camping area. Camped here in winter and just pulled into the first designated spot. There was snow but the fire pit was easy to dig out. Very quiet in late December and the sound of the creek was really peaceful.

The host was great

The bedroom water had a lot of iron in it. The tent sites are far from rest rooms. It's a bit muddy win it rains

Nice!

Super friendly camp host. He met us and drove us to the camp park because it was so dark. Spacious sites, and he is making amazing improvements to the park. Beautiful river setting.

Beautiful creek and waterfalls backpacking

The campground is on the Seneca Creek Trail in a meadow area along the Seneca Creek. Campsites are situated in and around the meadow with multiple trail junctions near by. Campsites are primitive (flat area for a tent and basic rock fire pit) for backpackers hiking in the Spruce Knob Recreational Area. I stayed there one night hiking down the Seneca Creek Trail. The trail has various campsites throughout the length of the trail (not just at Judy Springs) and some good fly fishing spots (saw trout running up rapids multiple times).

Second campsite was about 50 meters south of the the Seneca Creek Upper Falls (location near: 38° 46' 2.5932'' N 79° / 30' 27.1764'' W). This campsite also had two other falls direct next to it. This was an incredibly beautiful campsite. Third night, stayed at a campsite 0.75 miles from the trailhead parking lot (near: 38° 43' 7.0104'' N 79° 32' 41.1612'' W).

Not too impressed

Just stayed here for one night with our 5th wheel when traveling home. I wasn’t too impressed. I thought it was expensive. The site was difficult to back into because everything was so narrow. I like to have a little bit of space when camping, but there were tent campers all around us. My surgeguard shut off the power in the evening due to high voltage. It was showing 137 volts at one time. I was not impressed and most likely won’t be back.

Great Experience

This campground was very close to hiking trails in the area and was close enough to Elkins to quickly run into town. There was also a really good BBQ place right next to it. The campground host was very friendly and recommend hikes in the area.

Fantastic owners

Terrific owners, super attentive, and personal. They take the time to chat with just about everyone who visits their property. They are relentless on maintenance and have about 60 acres to mow and care for. The store onsite has just about anything you could need for your stay including firewood. The river is fantastic and holds trout and smallmouth for those that like to fish. A popular spot on the weekends and gets busy with all types of travelers from class A super rigs to very modest trailers. Ended up staying 2 weeks as the wifi service is the best we have had on the road. The majority of the site is level and grass. I will be back for the bluegrass festival in August (Pickin in Parsons).

I'm giving it 5 stars but it was a disappointment

I'm sure this is an amazing campsite, but it was a little to rustic for my liking. There is no cell service within 30 miles, so for an outsider who doesn't know the area, it was difficult to find the campsite. You also better bring everything you need beforehand. There are no grocery stores anywhere near the campsite and we didn't have any food with us. The firewood is unbundled and there are no showers. We ended up not staying here because we were not prepared. It is nice that each campsite has a stone "oven" as a fire pit and a trash can on site.

Nice Area

Very nice area several nice spot right along the creek. Areas are spread out and private. Nice spot to relax and escape along creek. Drive back is well maintained dirt road.