Madison, SOUTH DAKOTA

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Madison Camping Reviews
Close to amenities

Nice secluded campground yet 10 min from Sioux Falls

I thought I grew up in a small town...

The town is so small, the gas pumps still remind me of a rotary phone. Not much to write home about for this one-nighter. (Notice there's no pics) Felt a bit awkward pitching a tent here, although there were others doing the same and even car camping, and there were signs allowing it. I wouldn't recommend settling in at this one, let alone starting a fire. It's nice, though. Access to a bathroom with running water was nice, but I wouldn't drink from the sink, and the door wouldn't latch. Theres a small rope bridge over a portion of pond, and a covered area with tables, although I assume the latter is more for large get-togethers. Theres a small shop down the road that opens at a decent time and has coffee, as well as the afore-mentioned gas station. (gas was about the only thing they sold) Not too far off the beaten path, and Sioux Falls is a very short jaunt down the road.

Nice quiet park

We stayed here after visiting nearby Pipestone National Monument. With the exception of noise from the adjacent road and the occasional train thundering by, this small campground was very quiet and peaceful (we could even hear the birds twittering).  Sites are generous in size but with limited privacy from foliage. Electric and non but only one water spigot near the bathrooms. Bathrooms were clean as was the shower, however, in the women’s shower, it was necessary to hold the button continuously for water flow (not the case for the men’s shower). We did not need reservations in mid-May, however, only downside is there was not much to do in the shoulder season when we were there. In summer you can rent kayaks for the small lake.

Easy Park

This park had a beautiful layout we arrived late Host showed us to our spot Far enough off freeway no highway noise! Was beautiful surprise to see a farm surrounding us in the morning

Ok place to spend the night, but could have been better

I spent the night here and had to pay the entrance fee to the park as well as the camping fee for my tentsite. They had only a few tentsites available amid all the RV sites, but they were right on the edge of the playground, so the families had to walk right through my campsite to get to the play area. Not too big a deal as no one wanted to use the play area at night while I was sleeping, but still.  I also looked over at the power lines. There was a flush toilet facility close by but there was a very bright light on all night. Good for families needing to navigate in the dark but not wonderful if you like sleeping in darkness. And though I was told that quiet hours began at 10PM, the site next to me was quite loud through the trees until at least midnight so the quiet hours are not enforced. Meh. I don't think I'll be going back.

Gorgeous

I love this park for both it's camping and hiking. Stunning quartzite formations make for some great climbing. It's a really small park which is both good and bad. The trails aren't very long, but it's not usually overcrowded.

Best Sunset on the Prairie

I’ll admit - I chose this campground because I am a HUGE Laura Ingalls Wilder nerd and it is on one of the lakes where she and Almanzo took their Sunday drives and just a few miles from the LIW Memorial Society in DeSmet. Apart from all that, this is a gem of a campground. We were fortunate to get a site right on Lake Thompson. There are clean and modern restrooms available with free showers. A hiking/biking trail goes along the lake, through the campground and to the swimming beach. Friendly staff - great facilities.

A place for the night

This is a drive through and stay the night kind of campground. Road noise isn’t to bad with the interstate next door. Has a pool and mini golf course for the kids.

Bare bones convenience

This a a huge open area at the fairgrounds. There are some hookups.  Convenient location to a lot of attractions, stores, and restaurants. Can camp during events. Huge area.

Quiet and peaceful

Quiet campground. Nice hiking along the rock formations. Good stop along the way if traveling west or east.