the dyrt
O.C. Fisher Lake, MISSISSIPPI
Most Recent O.C. Fisher Lake Camping Reviews
Great get away

We love this place! Clean, and quiet, with good sized sites.

Tucked away in I surprisingly beautiful spot on the Mississippi River.

Wonderful fun to sit and watch the traffic up and down the Mississippi. Spacious large campground with benches along the river for sitting and watching. Very clean friendly and the laundry is large new and free

Easy access.

It is a trailer park that also has RV spots, it is clean but campers are close together, no campfire spot. Lots of long term campers.

Great CG with W/E. Spacious sites.

COE CG.

Very clean sites and bath house.

Nice, quiet and great views

COE campground. No sewer. Water and electric.

Clean and quiet CG with spacious sites.

Well kept and small.

The CG is close to the commissary. Not much else with in walking distance.

Small but quiet.

This is no longer a military CG. It is owned by the city and managed by a great couple.

One of the best campgrounds!

Only an hour from Memphis, this campground is VERY nice - three camping areas, two lakes with boat rentals, 6 cabins, and a gorgeous 27 hole golf course. It is always well kept, the staff is pleasant and they have a small store at the visitor center.

Beautiful Park on Crowleys Ridge

This place is still relatively new, but they have really done a great job with it! The park office is first class! The Trotting Fox Trail and Bear Creek Loop trail are very nice! The park office has a large room for exhibits. The Rangers also keep a very full schedule of activities to keep locals and campers busy. They rent out kayaks for those looking to explore the lake! The Beech Point Campground is a gorgeous RV/Tent Campground. I highly recommend it to those that love camping! There is also a really nice day use area.

First class campground!

Wow this place is NICE! This is a small, but beautiful campground! There's only 14 full hook up RV sites and 3 tent only sites. All RV sites are huge, have beautiful water views and most have water access. Many of them are fenced to get you closer to the water and still be safe. The small gravel tent and hang out areas was also nice. We tracked a lot less dirt into the camper than normal. The bathrooms are the nicest we have ever used! There are 4 private suite style bathrooms with your own toilet, sink and shower. All are handicap accessible as well. We walked the nature/hiking trail across the street from the campground (Bear Creek Loop). We were shocked to find out that the trees were marked with educational markers. My husband really enjoyed the trail because of this. The park also has a couple of kayaks that can be rented. There is a boat ramp, fishing pier and swim beach all within view of the campground. The campground also has a small courtesy dock to pull up to or fish from. Water appears to be very shallow at this dock.

One of the Mississippi River State Park Interpreters came out and hosted a short campfire chat on bats. Very informative! We also went to the park office to check out the exhibits. Man this place is first class! The walking trail around the office is a lovely 10-15 minute walk. Firewood and snacks can also be purchased here.

Older Feeling Park With Nice Features

This was one of the first state parks in Tennessee I visited on my trip through the state. Despite being an older feeling camp it offered many unique features and options for keeping myself entertained. (Check Out Their Website)

When it came to camping not only were there tent sites but also cabins which had a very rustic feel. I opted for a tent site which ran $25 and had full electrical hookups (site 40), a big perk for charging my devices at the end of a busy day. My site had a bbq grill and fire ring in addition to a picnic table and was well shaded. I felt like the sites along this side of the road were a little more spacious than the other side of the road which were a little more close together.

I was about half way down the loop and a short distance from the restroom and showers which were in decent shape but nothing super special. The water pressure here was good for showering.

My favorite thing about this camp was the outdoor activities which seemed to be everywhere. I hiked both the Woodland and Pioneer Springs trails (MAP), each about 4 miles and along the way enjoyed just taking in the outdoors. I will say that if you do any trails in late summer here you will need mosquito spray because they come in droves.

You can travel to the boat ramp and marina and rent boats there or bring your own to take advantage of the lake which winds through various types of vegetation and allows you to see the lake in a way you cannot from the shore line. I most enjoyed taking out a kayak and exploring the swampy feeling area, though I will say being so close to the Mississippi River I was afraid of what I might find lurking in the water.

Book Your Site Here

TIPS:

• Bring citronella candles for your table when camping and try to put a dryer sheet in your pocket to ward off mosquitoes. In addition to spray these will make your trip here a bit more comfortable.
  • Bring your own firewood if you want to have a campground. There were signs around camp saying not to move wood.
RV Only, Like RV RV

I checked into this park while looking for a place to stay in Memphis, it was a very secure facility right on the state line of Mississippi and Tennessee and it appeared to have good reviews so I wanted to see if they offered tent camping since I had seen nothing about that. I arrived and the staff was very friendly however they were also very thorough in stating it was RVs only.

I went ahead and told them I am a ranger for the Dyrt and also a travel blogger and was interested in passing on the knowledge to other campers potentially looking in the area and they took me on a tour bragging on the facilities which had spacious road that were fully paved and well maintained. The restrooms were large and equipped for handicapped accessibility and there was a neighborhood vibe about this location.

Spaces were a little close together but it seemed as though most of the people here were retirees in larger rigs who didn't want the responsibility of having a lot of space in their immediate "yard". They offer nightly rates along with weekly and monthly however I believe that most are taking advantage of the monthly.

The person giving me the tour, the campground host, did mention that a lot of people misunderstand their RV policy and come in with pop ups or teardrops and those usually are not acceptable. So that s a major thing to know when coming here, you must be in a RV as defined by these standards.

I noticed that the site was incredibly clean. They offered additional storage for sports equipment and other items, a rec center and office and for each site both cable and wifi are available.

All in all this park was great, but not allowing tents or certain types of RVs did knock it down a few notch simply because not everyone would be able to take advantage of this site. I was overall happy to have checked it out for my fellow travelers and maybe one day when I RV across America I will be able to visit again.

Check Out The Official Website Or Make Reservations

Great Pricing But Felt A Bit Crowded

I was really looking forward to checking out this spot right on the Mississippi when I found out it was nestled right on the banks of the river. I had looked up and down the Arkansas side for a spot with the view and it seemed to fit the bill perfectly. There area several RV areas but this was the only I found that also welcomed tents.

I had seen the camp map offering camping right on the banks, but when I arrived they were not allowing camping in that grassy section and instead were placing campers in the area closer to the RVs, in a tree covered area so it was pleasant but I was really looking forward to seeing the mighty river in the morning first thing. But being closer to the bath house did also have its advantages I guess.

Pricing was only $14 so can't really beat that. The staff was super friendly as well but I am thinking I was there on a busy weekend because it was pretty packed and seemed to have a little bit of a closer quarters feel on the RV loops that I personally would have enjoyed had I been on one of them.

For the most part the location was pretty quiet during the nighttime, you could hear a little of the river traffic but nothing much from my placement. I think I probably would have enjoyed the location a bit more during the week, sometimes I just like to really enjoy the natural beauty of things more without as many neighbors.

Just as much as the river itself is a positive, I also was made aware that it can be a negative as the banks of the river have often swelled into camp and caused partial or full closure of the park. After talking to one of the employees and them showing me a few of the flooding photos they advised to always check in advance during the flood season which is from December to June. For this reason however, the park is always working to improve structures and making better so they can stay on top of this.

TIPS:

• Check out the pedestrian bridge which travels from West Memphis, not far from this camp all the way across the Mississippi into Memphis, TN. It is the longest pedestrian bridge in the country.
  • Check the website for the camp before traveling for links to weather related closures or possibilities.
Huge State Park

Campground is very rustic, shaded and sites are kinda small. Cell service is spotty. Some sites are really close together and some are decent size. The day area around Poplar Tree Lake is nice with kayak, flat bottom fishing boats and paddle boats for rent. Cabins seem very nice from the outside. Lots of nice playgrounds and a disc golf course.

West Memphis KOA

Small but clean. Very friendly staff. There are plenty of trees for shade. Nice pool, bathrooms and rec room. The laundry room is large and air conditioned. There is a dog park, horseshoes and cornhole. They offer daily breakfast and lunch and will deliver site made pizza to your camper. They also have a community garden.Very close to Memphis. The only downside is it has quite a bit of road traffic noise and a strange side road entrance.1

Great Location

This park is in a part of Shelby Farms Park which is a 4,500 acres of lakes, bike and running trails, playgrounds and so much more. The park also has plenty of events to keep you entertained. And, there are bison!! The RV park has a farmers market that has a pretty good selection of local fruits,veggies and your normal farmer market fare. Super close to Memphis and what the city and surrounding suburbs have to offer. Seriously, there is no way to ever get bored here. There us always some event, concert, play, bar, sport, etc… always! Nitty Gritty: the laundry room is small and hot with old machines. The bathrooms are ok. And, there are no trees where the RV's are to keep you cool. These three reasons are the only reason why I didn't rate this park a 5.

Small but lovely

The roads leading to this campground are fantastic for bikers, and the lakes have produced state record fish. It's well maintained, and has a lot of options. Not the biggest or best park in the state, but a good one, with plenty to do, and usually not very heavily populated, even by the locals.

Shade!!!!!

It’s a nice camp ground … pleasant hosts… nice pool… and there is shade. After chasing a heat wave in a teardrop with no ac (an issue I plan to fix before next season) this was a great relief. Additionally, they have a delivery menu that includes bbq done in house that is pretty good.

Nice spot right on the Mississippi River.

Great view of the bargies go up and down the river. Camp ground is clean and well taken care of.

lots to do in the Memphis area

Lake views with water & electric

We only stayed one night, and moved on. We were just passing through. Lots of sites are waterfront. There were lots of trails available, but we didn't have time to explore. Each site has electric and water, but still only $20.

Nice and Peaceful

We spent an afternoon here exploring and checking into the campground for future stays. It’s an older, rustic campground and the age shows. However, if you are looking for a peaceful, private campground, this is it. The bathrooms are old, but clean. I’m leery of old bathrooms, but I can make this one work. The lake is great for fishing and has two piers to use, plus a small boat launch. there is no swimming in this lake. Rumor has it that there is Walleye fish in this lake! Looking forward to staying here in a couple of weeks to see if we can catch one!

Other activities include frisbee golf, hiking trail, two playgrounds, volleyball and a large day use area.

Super Clean & Wonderful views

Almost all spots in this campground offer views of Enid Lake. Lots of tall trees with brush cleared out, so you don't loose the view. The bath house is always super clean, stocked with supplies and has heat & ac. Huge plus for us as we do not have a bathroom in our Aliner! There is plenty to do here! During our stay, we bank fished, walked the paved walking trail and our son took advantage of the upgraded playground and basketball court. Lots of wildlife to observe. I've never seen more deer, especially close up, in my life!

Near the campground is the popular Catfish Hut. If you want to grab a bite to eat, be prepared to wait as this place is always busy. They take call in orders, so that is what I would recommend if you are just wanting to get take out. Also, on the other side of the dam just past the swim beach is the local bait shop/gas station. They have a little bit of everything in case you forget something. They sell local firewood for those that want bigger logs for a campfire. Also, they have hot sausage & biscuits in the morning and Pizza later in the day.

Hernando Point

Amazing view from site #31! They unexpectedly lost power Labor Day weekend to the campground and do not know when it will be restored. Lots of waterview spots and plenty of private wooded spots. Clean bathrooms. Swim beach, day use area and boat ramp is near by.

Edit: Power has been restored.

Short Term CampGround

This campground is clean and the managers are nice, but it is not a campground you stay at for its amenities.  It is a good location to see all the sights in Memphis or to stay a night or two.  There are also several workers who stay there when certain events are in town.

Camped with Family

Had a huge spot with lots of shade. only complaint was there was no playground in the actual camping area.

Great Historic Site With Outdoor Spaces For Entire Family

Little did I know when I was traveling through Arkansas that there was a site in this region. It wasn't until I saw one of the numerous State Park signs scattered throughout the state that I discovered not only this camping area for small tents only but also the historic site.

I first checked out the historic site and they filled me in a bit more about the camp. The camp is tent only and relatively secluded to one area of the park. That area is near the recreation day use area which has a playground for the kiddos. Being such a small park you are literally a few hundred yards from the Visitor Center which is much closer than a typical camp site.

The historic site is filled with information about the Mississippian tribe which settled this area initially before the community of Parkin was even through to be established.

I checked out the camping area where a few small groups were gathered and it looked like a pretty typical site with very few accommodations. I chose to settle in for a short time and take in the site with the trails and spoke to some of the locals which highly enjoy this area as an outdoor space.

All in all I would say for the proximity to the State Park information and the facility itself I will return again, I even told a family member about it when I left.

Beautiful views

Nice, quiet campground. Beautiful views all around.

Quiet and clean

Chewalla Campground has a lake for fishing and a beach area. Very quiet and roomy during the week. Didn't spend any time during weekend. Looking forward to spending going back and spending several days.

Ranger Review: clean family fun!

With all the beautiful views and family recreation offered at Persimmon HIll Campground, you’ll be amazed that these sandy beaches are only a little over an hours drive from Memphis. Accessibility and the cleanliness of the park is why this has been a favorite in our family for many years.

Campground Review:

This weekend we celebrated National Hammock Day, in our Bear Butt Hammock, at site #55. You can book sites online up to 24 hours in advance, or you can show up to camp at one of the non-reservable first come sites. Cost was $20 per night. Each site is well kept with a parking pad, picnic table, lantern pole, fire pit and grill. All sites are generously sized with plenty of room and flat spots to put a tent, plus more than half of the sites have a view of the lake. This go around we were in our pop up, however don’t let all the rigs keep you away, we frequent this campground often with our tent when we need a quick getaway. There are two shower houses in the campground that are aIr conditioned, well lit, and kept clean and stocked daily. A playground and basketball court is centrally located and easily accessable to all families. Behind the playground is a nice nature trail that is lit at night for an evening stroll. While this campground is usually well populated, we’ve only had to camp in the overflow section once in all the 11 years we’ve been bringing our family here, and that was during a Fourth of July weekend.

Persimmon Hill Recreation Area is a well maintained picnic/day use area with a sandy beach. (Between here and the campground is where we usually see deer.) Life jackets are provided at the beach if needed. Besides the reservable pavillion, there are many picnic tables along the shoreline. The lake Is great for jet skis, kayaking, and relaxing on an inner tube. A boat launch is located in the campground. Enid Lake is one of the top fishing locations for crappie. The fish are well stocked, and a visit to the hatchery offers some interactive displays, history on the area, and a chance for the kids to feed the fish. Across the dam is a spillway with a handicap accessable fishing pier, a lakeside grocery store, an additional boat ramp, larger sandy swim beach, and the equally clean campground Wallace Creek.

Overall, due to the family feel and cleanliness, we highly recommend the area versus the few lakes closer to Memphis, and we also prefer this campground over others in around the lake with the exception of Wallace Creek.

If interested, check out my reviews of the area on these sites: Trippin’ Southerners website: https://www.trippinsoutherners.com/single-post/2018/03/06/Lake-Life---best-beach-in-the-mid-south

Campground video: https://youtu.be/fEUVvcr3RVQ