The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Sun , LOUISIANA

Most Recent Sun Camping Reviews
Bad for tent campers

In a basic sense the facilities worked and things were organized well but the park is kind of dumpy.. However, sites were paved pull ins with nothing but low lying grass around them. I was lucky enough to foresee the flooding potential and put my tent on the asphalt pad, because an inch of overnight rain flooded everything around it. That said, the asphalt was lumpy and my sleep uncomfortable.

Subpar at best

Primitive campsite had lots of trash on the ground (kids socks, plastic, toilet paper). Port-o-pottys were disgusting. Stayed one night on my cross country drive and it was one night too many.

Nice and quiet

Site 141 was in a very wooded area at the far end of all three RV areas. We stayed during the second weekend of Dec. weather was brisk with a small amount of rain on Saturday. Had a beautiful view of the water where you could fish. This spot was so quiet and peaceful, no road noise was heard the entire 3 days. There were a few other campers in neighboring spots but the rest of the area was sparsely packed.

The only issue I had with the spots were they were all uneven, but somehow I was able to level my 37’ travel trailer on the first try without any leveling aids.

The only thing I had negative review of was how low the water spigot was in the ground. But overall I would stay in this exact spot again.

Beautiful Park with plentiful wildlife!

We stayed here December 4-6 and the rangers on site were all more than friendly and helpful. The great: the park is amazingly large and long trails. Upon first parking at our campsite, we were greeted by maybe 15-20 deer and yes, a few will approach you. Maybe bring some corn so the kids can feed the deer. You may also see opossums and plenty of birds! All day and night, the bellowing croaks of the bullfrogs are to me, relaxing and making it feel more like camping. Going to sleep, we could hear the frogs through the night and I believe it was one of my best nights sleep.

The not so ugly, but may want to be aware: We had pull through spot 8 and the hookups are not in the best spot in my opinion. We have a 41’ Class A DP and the spot was plenty large, but the hookups (only electric and water) are set where they are opposite side of the bus hookups. This is not a huge issue if you have an extra water hose, but my one water hose did not reach and 2 were required. Driving in, the spot numbers are on post in the center of the pull through spots and you cannot see them until you pass the entry point. Simply facing the campsite number to the incoming traffic would remedy this and not require passing your campsite to see if it’s yours. Most all sites do not have sewage. There is a dump at the exit and upon leaving, there was a line waiting to use. That’s fine, but I did not need to dump sewage and was stuck waiting for others to use it as I could not exit due to exit being blocked. Even with these little issues, I would still be back in a heartbeat due to the amazing beauty of this park!

Our First RV Trip

We just bought our first RV a 32’ class C. I booked a premium site with sewer. The campground was very clean and well kept. My site was relatively level and was easy to back into. The only minor issue I had is the sites are very close to each other, I would prefer to have more room between them. We went to the pier on the lake front and also hiked one of the many trails. All and all it was a very good outing and I would camp there again.

Choot’m

This place is crawling with gators in the lower portion on the lakes. Hey this is south Louisiana. Tubing down the River is a big attraction. Nice park.

Worth the money

My boyfriend and I car camp and try to stay in primitive areas for the lesser (or no) fees. This site was $15 for primitive camping but included a water spigot as well as port-o-potties. There were also fire rings at each camping site.

We stayed here during Halloween and it was pretty crowded. We prefer more secluded camping sites, and this campground provides plenty of space despite being so packed. There were several RV campgrounds that had decorations and trick-or-treating.

We didn’t have any problems with rowdy kids or quiet time. Everybody was mostly respectful. We did encounter coyote, deer, and lots of talkative geese, so be prepared for some wildlife interaction.

Quiet and clean with nice trails

Staff was very friendly when making reservations by phone.  Park was clean and the sites while gravel, were easy to maneuver.  Bath houses were clean.

Better than expected

Our site was perfect for us. Plenty of shade at our particular site. Pad was wide enough without a slope coming out of either door. Fire pit was in a nice location and the picnic table was huge. Family was able to do plenty of bike riding around the park with only one monster hill. The park was full but spread out enough to enjoy our on space. The river area was crowded due to the day users but we found a area to keep our distance. There are some really nice sites in the upper portion of the park. The lower portion is not really ideal for our 36ft TT. But if you had a small unit it may be perfect for you. Staff was extremely friendly. We will definitely return to this park.

Top-notch destination

Very clean, well kept state park. Hiking trails, equestrian trails, tubing, camping… they’ve got it all. Campsites are neat, well maintained. We saw maintenance staff checking things several time per day. We will definitely be back.