Abilene, TEXAS
Most Recent Abilene Camping Reviews
Love this park in the fall!

It is a state park but don’t let that stop you from checking it out. Lots of hiking and bike trails. Swimming pool is open in the summer. You can fish in the lake across the road or in the small pond at the park.

Close to town

We stayed here many years ago for a reunion close by, the owner/park host was not a rule bender at all and was strict. We stayed in cabins and had a good time while we were there.

Very clean, nice campground

Corp of Engineers campground.  Very clean, playground, fishing, swimming.

Well-run, lots of shade, sites close together

This is a nice park, but the sites are pretty close together.

little getaway

I used to go here a ton when I went to school in Abilene at Hardin-Simmons. It was not too far of a drive from the campus, and I even took class trips out here for our botany class. Campgrounds are decent (I have heard they have been much improved since I've been there). My times here were always fun little getaways from college life that provided me with a good time to unwind and relax. Trees aren't too tall for providing shade, and there are tons of mesquite trees, so watch out for thorns while you're walking.

Gorgeous

Beautiful RV park located in Lajitas.  It has an outdoor pool and when we went in May, the water was cold but it was nice to float in the pool.  The staff were very helpful.  It was already starting to get hot at the beginning of May.

The stars are so bright at night and you can easily see the milky way galaxy.

Nice improved cg

Lots of spaces both with and without hookups. All sites have water. Plenty of trees for hammocks. Free showers, hiking trails, fishing at the lake across the road. Pool available as well.

Absolutely stunning !

We camped at tent site 12. We had stunning views with some shade. The National Park staff was very informative and interactive they patrol the area frequently. They have the cleanest chemical toilets I have ever seen. Trails are beautiful and well marked. I absolutely would recommend this park to any and everyone.

Trees

The trees were so beautiful. A very small park but great for fishing. There is a wonderfully stocked pond and a lake where you can rent canoes. There was also a pool and a cool old water tower. There were numerous historical landmarks as the park was put together by the CCC.

Small park, but awesome !

For being a small state park it offers a lot of nice camping sights, for RVs and tents alike. There’s creeks running through the park aswell as a small fishing pond with crystal clear water. Nice easy hiking trails, and a bird blind. Just a nice getaway from civilization. We go there very often just to be outside and breath fresh air. And if you camp there, make sure to look up at night, what a view!

Peaceful camping!

This camp ground is well kept. Plenty of RV spots and tent spots. We like to tent camp. The bathrooms are pretty clean and maintained, and you never have to go to far to get to one. We take our bikes to get around. I’ve gone to Lakeside since I was young for family reunions and camping and I love it. It’s always so peaceful and I love to watch the deer that roam around. My go to spot!

Nice wooded campground

Nice wooded campsites, bathhouses were nice and clean.Close to Abilene(15 miles).

Awesome!!!!

Two words -

NIGHT. SKY.

It was so incredibly beautiful, peaceful and quiet that we didn't want to leave. But we had to.

We were very late, but everything was set up for us when we arrived. It was easy to find our site, and set up. Morning was so refreshing!

Best places!!

Texas is one of my favorite places to visit. I went to college in Texas so visiting here is something I love to do. While in college my friends and I would do some camping and hiking on the weekends. Flat rock campground was a place we went a few times in my 4yrs of living here. This is a popular place for college students to go. The campground is well kept, but I’m sure locals hate college kids going here and camping. My friends and I are super respectful of noise and cleaned up after ourselves. The hiking was great nearby! Beautiful views of The city. There is only 1 bathroom here which was a little frustrating. And it’s a porta potty so that always makes it worse. There was a table and fire ring in the campsite!

Had a blast!

What an amazing place to visit. We enjoyed camping here, and loved finding gem places nearby. We did a hike that lead us to a wonderful water hole that we were able to jump in and swing off a tree into the water. We had such a blast. The campground was great, clean and the people working there were awesome. They gave us the idea to hike to the place with the water hole. THe rangers were super helpful and nice! Recommend talking to them. Also, the campsite were big. The bugs drove me nuts! Bring bug spray however i felt like that didnt really work for me!

Spiritual

This park maybe out in the middle of nowhere but what a slice of heaven! Beautifully maintained, large sites and very clean restrooms and laundry facilities. Love this place!

Quiet Park

Abilene State Park has some decent walking trails & beautiful old buildings built by the CCC years ago. Some of the bathrooms need updating but overall an intetesti ng park.

Abilene State Park

Pretty nice place to camp. Just about everything you could possibly want for comforts. Wide range of camping opportunities from tent/hammock, to Yerts.

Peaceful, nice roads, campsites

Great little lake for Camping. Not too crowded. Nice roads. Great campsites.

Awesome Abilene

I stayed for a few days in a yurt. What fun! The park was quiet the weekdays I was there. The bird watching blind is great! Well maintained and lots of bird activity. Very nice clean facilities.

Hidden Gem

The name is a little bit of a misnomer, because if you are from Texas…camping in Abilene doesn't sound that great.

The park is closer to Buffalo Gap, south of Abilene proper and well off of I-20.

Tent and RV camping options are available as well as yurts and screened shelters. All RV spots have water and electric, and a few spots have sewer.

This is not a place to do hardcore hiking or biking or back country camping. This is a developed park and not super big.

The pros though are easy trails that kids and all levels can hike and bike. The sites are well developed and make for easy camping. In the summer it is extremely hot but the pool is fabulous and you can even rent kayaks/canoes to take on Lake Abilene.

It is a chill campground, a great way to spend a long weekend in the summer hitting the pool and cruising around on your bike. A place you can let your kids roam free and explore.

Nice 1st time experience

This was our first camping experience traveling full time in our 5th wheel. We had no reservations but found a "walk up" spot in the Wagon Circle Loop. Our spot was #15. It was a loop with back in sites which had electric/water hook ups. There is also a dump station. There were bathrooms, fire pits, and picnic tables. There is a recreation area nearby with a playground and a swimming pool. Due to the time of year, the pool was not yet open. There were hiking trails and it was our first experience with geocaching.

It's as if the stars are so close you can almost touch them.

Rhis has to be one of my fave places to camp. There is so much to see.

Big park, open spaces

This COE park covers a lot of ground and the campsites are nicely spaced. The grounds are well maintained and clean and deer abound in small herds. Went there on spring break with the grand daughters and although the park was virtually full, it was quiet. Miles from any large city, or big town for that matter, there was very little drive thru traffic. The prices for campsites are very reasonable and the restroom/ shower facilities are numerous and clean. The lake is an area fishing spot and although there were a few boats out, they weren't racing all over the lake nor pulling skiiers, but it was still March when I went, and a little cool for water sports.

The closest town, Coleman, is a nice country town with a coup!e very good places to eat. The murals on the town buildings make it a nice place to walk around, look, and take pictures.

Guadelupe Mountains National Park + Peak Bagging

Bag the peak of Guadelupe Mountains National Park and you will have bagged the highest point in Texas. The Pine Springs Campground is an excellent starting point for a trip to the park. The campground is close to the park entrance and ranger station. You'll be camping with Guadelupe Peak within your sight. However, there are a number of trailheads that you can reach from this campground - Guadelupe Peak, Devil's Hall, El Capitan and The Bowl.. The weather at the park can be brutal varying from high heat in the summer to strong winds year round to snow in the winter. Many of the hiking trails do not have tree shade, so be prepared to hike and be exposed to the sun for long periods of time. The campground has toilets and potable water, but no showers. The individual campsites are all first come, first served. I believe that the group campsites can be reserved in advance. The sunrises and sunsets at this park can be dramatic. You may not see the sun on the horizon unless you are on top of the peak, but the alpenglow on the mountains can be seen from the Pine Springs campground. There are not many towns near the park, so get your supplies before you exit I-10. Otherwise you'll need to drive far into Carlsbad, NM.

Fort Griffin Camping Trip

Wonderful place to see the stars at night. I have been here a few times before and it doesn’t disappoint. Clean bathroom facilities and a nice quiet place overall. I definitely will be coming back here as it is only a few hours from Dallas.

Guadalupe Mountains

This is a beautiful park with stellar camping. It is close to all the things you’ll want to do in the National Park. You are nestled among the famous cliffs and mountains of the area surrounded by interesting plants and wildlife. There are separate loops for tents and RVs with the full amenities of a state park…thankfully including water.

Yay: this is a hot and sticky area and although there are no showers the bathrooms have full water, allowing you take a washcloth bath. Sites are spread out well for good privacy.

Nay: not too much shade, but not awful for TX.

Surprise: lots of hikes leave right from the campground, simplifying the day a little! As always the rangers are great. Incredible sunsets.

Eh...

This trip was an odd one for us because we had additional family members who aren't outdoorsy joining us. Tent camping did not appeal to them so we reserved one of the yurts that Abilene State Park boasts. The yurt had electricity, a mini fridge, fan, and a small air conditioner. Even with the AC on it was well over 90° in the yurt, which we weren't thrilled about, especially since we had an elderly family member with some health issues in our group. Otherwise, the park is fine. It has a nice pool, easy walking trails, and access to a lake that is strangely located outside of the park a few miles down the road. The facilities were nice and the staff memebers werw mostly polite and helpful. I wouldn't recommend the yurts, but then again that's not really my thing to begin with.

Great Access

We stayed here one night during our trip to Guadalupe.

Bathrooms had running water and we were able to finally wash our dishes! Lots of wildlife, we saw a javelina and her babies cruise through the campsite.

From the campground there are a multitude of trails that are easily accessible, and the campsite is not at all far from the visitor center or the main road. We loved the interpretive trail with info on all the native plant species (handicap accessible). We also saw some sheep while we where there!

Beautiful, scenic, hiker's paradise!

Guadalupe Mountains National Park is seriously underrated. And their developed campground, Pine Springs, is a gem in the NPS.

Pine Springs is located near the visitor center and main hub of the park, making it a great base camp for epic day hikes in the park.

When we first arrived at the park, we felt adventurous and got a backcountry permit (free) for several overnights we planned to do throughout the park. However, since there is no road running up and over the huge ridge, and most of the trails don’t easily connect, we quickly realized that our plans would require a lot of hauling our packs up and down 3,000-foot elevations changes and camping in sub-freezing temperatures each day. Our first night was spent up along the ridge in the “Bowl,” but our other three nights were spent in Pine Springs.

Pine Springs checked off most of our requirements for an awesome campsite: cheap (only $8/night for a tent site), close to the highlights (the classic Guadalupe Peak trail leaves from the parking lot) and scenic, spacious sites (check, check). Amenities were the basic flush toilets and picnic tables, but for the cost, that was more than understandable.

There is a lot the Guadalupe Mountains offers, including the hikes we mentioned: The Bowl loop, Guadalupe Peak (highest point in Texas!), McKittrick Canyon hiking, and some of the greatest sunsets of our entire trip.

You can read much more about our four days in the park on our blog: Switchback Kids (Guadalupe Mountains)