Sutton, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Sutton Camping Reviews
Mormon Island

Nice campground with access to fish 3 lakes! Very nice camp host!

Hall County Park

Cool campground with lots of playground equipment, easy access to walking and bike paths and right next to Stuhr Museum which is well worth a trip!

Crystal Lake

New management has made many upgrades and done an overall great job! Flooding this spring undid some of there work as there was no power at the rv hookups.

Liberty Cove

Very well kept recreation area but the lake is often covered with algae and has suffered fish kills in the past

Nice

Friendly staff, reservations made easy, clean bathrooms, very accommodating

Great stop!

Stopped on a trip from SD back to PA. Surrounded by corn fields… so pretty. We were starving and they had pizza delivered right to our camper! So glad we found this place!

Easy Highway Access

Nebraska is abounding with recreation areas many within a reasonable distance of the main highway running across the state.   But War Axe, a much smaller area offers immediate access to fishing and fun within only 30 seconds of the highway!!

I visited this area and quickly was surprised by how such a small location could have such a great opportunity for someone like myself to enjoy a quiet day at a small lake.   Despite being so close to the highway, the location is quiet and calm, a perfect way to spend a day or up to 10 days.

There isn't much to say about this site that is negative, the grass is a plush green and backs up to a corn field, so iconically Nebraska!!   The site is small and only caters to a handful of campers at $10 per site.    While primitive there is a flush toilet with running water making it feel not quite as primitive as other sites along the same stretch.     Lush trees shade the camping zones and a small boat launch offers those stopping in. the opportunity to get in the water or enjoy the small shoreline.

One thing to be said for any recreation area in Nebraska is a friendly reminder that you will need an access pass to stay here or even visit.   These cannot be obtained at the site and must be repurchased before visiting either online or at one of the main offices.   This I found to be a big inconvenience throughout the entire state as I passed by on a weekend and was unaware.

The area is well patrolled and actually a ranger was present when I visited.   He was a great source of information and allowed me to access the area despite my lack of knowledge of the pass requirement.   There is no gate or monitoring when you enter only an honor box near the restrooms.

Campsites are marked with tables and fire rings and any restrictions are posted at the same area as the honor box.

I loved this location and would gladly stop in again if in the area!!  Very cute and small, not busy and easy to access makes for the perfect place to spend a day or night.

Tips:

• Make sure to look online and get your pass for any Nebraska parks or rec areas before traveling to.
  • Bring anything you need with you as there are no services.   Since this is along a major highway you are only a short distance from stores if you forget something but better come with everything rather than having to find them after.
Quiet spot

We were the only tent campers here, about half of the 16rv spots were taken. It’s right on a little river and has a play set and portapotty. Self check in and cheap! About 10 min off of I80. It is a great spot to stop for the night.

Really nice!!

We were VERY satisfied here. The price was more than usual but it is a private facility. Beautiful sites, ponds for fishing. Camp store well attended. Staff and service excellent. Two state parks on the island give plenty of natural wonders, including a small beach. Location is so cool!

Aug 5th-11th

While camping at Morman Island, we went through one of the worst storms! 85 to 90 mile an hour winds with hail! It was bad enough to go through the storm but it really was bad that not one person from the campground came around to check on us the next morning! They really just concentrated on the clean up. The priorities were messed up. At the time of the storm there were only 25 campers in the whole place. How long would it have taken to check on the well being of those 25 campers! There was no prior warning of the storm from anybody at the campground. Other campgrounds that we’ve stayed at, we always have had a heads up. The pictures are from the morning after. Not just a little blow! Overall the visit wasn’t the best with the storm and all. There are several rules that are clearly posted throughout the grounds and at the pond. Dogs on a 6 ft leash. No floaties in the swimming area. No dogs on the beach. No parking on the grass. All of these were being violated and not one person from the staff could be seen addressing any issues. People were doing whatever they wanted to. I would have loved to let my dog go swimming but it was against the rules. The section we were in was a new section, but we could not even let our dog out in our camp site because of an abundance of stickers and burrs! She at one point just laid down because of her paws filled with burrs and could not walk any more. This was in our site. I’m not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The facilities were very clean. (They need a shower house in the new section). Making the reservation was very easy. The people we did talk to were very nice.

To many signs!

The facilities are very clean. The grounds are well kept.
The only down side I didn’t like was the amount of signs throughout the grounds! There are signs every where telling you what you can’t do. They could do with a few less signs. A overall nice place to set up. Plenty of space between sites so you are not on top of each other.

Quiet and peaceful

We had a quiet weekend, though the camp was less than half full. Electrical hookups and tent camping are available. We stayed in the bottom section, close to water, the view was very nice. They have a playground and beach area, primitive restrooms, boat ramp, and at least two covered areas for gatherings. There is no dump station, the nearest one is about 6 miles North at Milligan at a gas station along highway 41. No wake boating, but kayaking/canoeing the lake is the best way to see and fish this lake. Check out web site here http://littlebluenrd.org/recreation/#Lone_Star.

Streeter Park donation park

Streeter Park has electric and water hook-ups for campers and has I nice park and a nature walk. It is also right next to the municipal pool. So you can swim also. Pay is by donation. It is nice and in the trees. The campsites are in walking distance of a few restaurants and convenience store and grocery store. We had a nice stay.

Great place to camp

Great campground nice shade on part of rv sites . Easy access, very nice shower house, very well kept. Only improvement would be sewer hookups. Highly Recomend

Camp ground becomes private or reserved

Was going to stay for the fair and other events and was told camp ground was reserved for fair people and 4 h . Well thats fine but put up a sign saying camp ground is closed. We were there first and We were first told we could stay so we unloaded and were then told we could not stay. Bad deal We will NOT ever be back.

Good stop

Pool was chilly but nice after a long day of driving. Surrounded by cornfields with interstate close it works for a quick stop. Don’t be fooled not all sites have cable as advertised.

Very Pleasantly Surprised

Very tidy. Adjacent to ball fields and community pool with water slides and a spray ground! Water at each site. Small gravel pad with some grass. Enough room for a couple tents although the space is intended for campers/rvs. Earplugs were a great suggestion. I’m giving this 5 stars because although it’s not perfect, it is impressive for the area, the proximity to I-80 and certainly for the price!

Streeter Park

Beautiful campground, very well kept up. Most bathrooms were very clean but the one near the pool was very smelly and in need of a good cleaning. Did get a bit noisy at night due to some couple with a small yapping dog nearby arguing loudly and slamming vehicle doors. Also nearby trains were very noisy. Overall it was a very beautiful campground. Suggestion: wear earplugs and it would be much better.

Looks great!

This campground looks great. The lake looks inviting and has a swim area as well as fishing. Well maintained and the camp host was friendly and helpful.

Cute campground

This campground is near a lake, looks cute and decently kept up. One of the bigger playgrounds was partially underwater. All the RV spots were filled so we didn’t end up staying there. A sign indicates gates close at 8:30. So if you are arriving late, or wanting a night out in town this may not be the campground for you.

Great area

The RV area of this park has 18ish pads fcfs with electrical and water hookups. There is a dump station as well. It is located right off highway 34 and only a few miles off I 80. Great area to stop for the night. The park is in town and right next to the city pool. There is one bathroom near the pool and playground area.

As discribed

Right off I 80. Gravel road & gravel parking. No frills… but for a night or 2 it’s perfect. Walking to Wendy’s & McDonalds.
We were by the office & WiFi worked great. Bath and shower clean… again no frills. Will stay here again.

Our favorite local park and lake.

We have camped as a family at almost every campground at Lovewell and we are always pleased. All of the primitive spots are wonderful and have a lot of space for the kids to play. There are also beautiful views of the lake at all of the primitive camping spots. Walleye and Willow are our favorite utility camp grounds. There seems to be more room for the kids to run around. Cottonwood is more close knit. We enjoy walking around the park in the off-season and viewing all of the wildlife. The new playground area is absolutely fabulous. Our kids love it. We also enjoy going to the marina to eat. They often have music entertainment out on there deck on the weekends to enjoy.

Nice lake for quiet getaway

This lake has a nice beach and play area, electric hookups, picnic tables, burn pits, and boat ramp and dock. The fishing looks to be good and we heard people hunting birds in the area also.

Very affordable at $10 a night RV sites, but there are some very secluded primitive spots right on the lake.

Road Trip

With RV this area park is generator use or very limited amenities for full size RVs .

Nice quiet fishing spot

Great little campground! Very few campers, clean and friendly.

Close to I80

Good fishing. Two ponds. Right off I80.

Ranger Review: Primus Trailbottle at Bader Park in Nebraska

Campground Review: Bader Park is located in Merrick County a few miles from Marquette Nebraska. It has 24 Rv sites with Electric at $20/night and over 15 tent sites at $10/night, along with lots of day use areas. Everyone also needs to purchase a $6/day vehicle pass. It is a smaller campground with acres of prairie wetlands and miles of trails. There are picnic areas with grills scattered throughout and a group picnic shelter. The showers are coin operated, make sure you bring shower sandals. We were the only campers there except the campground hosts. It was quite chilly in the evenings, but enjoyed sitting out by the campfire looking up at the full moon and stars. You only heard nature around you…the leaves rustling as they blew in the wind, the crickets and frogs singing and the coyotes chattering in the distance. So very relaxing.

Bader Park has a swimming beach with a sandvolleyball net, and multiple fishing ponds. During the year they have fun activities for children and adults including Bird/Nature hikes, a Haunted forest, and Haunted Halloween Campgrounds.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time and I tested the Primus Trailbottle at Bader Park. What I love about the 1.0L(33.8 oz) Trail bottle:

1. It's stainless steel with powdered coating. I chose black and it wow it looks sharp, but it has other color options. It also stay cold for hours.
  2. I use it for flavored water and was excited that it didn't retain the flavors from previous drinks.
  3. It is dishwasher safe and if you choose to wash it in the sink the opening is larger which makes it easy to get a brush in there to clean. It also makes it easier to get ice in.

4. I love that it is light weight and easily fits in the pocket of my backpack. It also comes with a. a strap on lid so it doesn't get lost and you can strap it on to your backpack.

I give The Primus Trail Bottle 5 stars as it meets and exceeds my expectations. Take a look at all the Primus products at https://www.primus.eu/

Dry Camping

Had a great time. Kayak and bank fishing, hiking and just relaxing in general. We stay in the area with no power, etc., but we were prepared. There are modern showers and restrooms on this part of the camp. Showers need to be fed quarters. 7 minutes for $1.50 if memory serves me right. The traffic noise off I-80 was the only drawback, but the trees blocked the view. Caught some Bass and Bluegill, but were not bragging size.

Ranger Review of Midland ER210 Emergency Weather Radio &XTalker T31 Bundle

Campground Review

We pulled into The Double Nickel Campground off of I-80 at the Waco exit(360) in Nebraska and were pleasantly surprised. We had a pull-thru site with Electric and Water. The site was a level, gravel pad with a picnic table and a large fire ring and a cute wooden double swing.

We learned that the owners Jeff and Amanda had bought the campgrounds in 2014 and moved here from Georgia. They have been working hard to improve it and are going to be making all RV sites into full hookups this winter. They also had started decorating for a haunted Halloween at the campgrounds.

This campground had free putt putt golf, video games, volleyball, yard games, playgrounds, a swimming pool, kids toys and books, crafts, and even an outdoor movie. Lots to do for family fun. There was also a golf course right next to the campgrounds.

The campgrounds offered tent and RV camping with Electric and Water to full hookups. There was free Wifi. The owner brought our firewood to the site and there was trash pick up at the site. There was a fenced in dog run for the pups. The only con was the interstate noise which we got use to. Everyone was very friendly and we made new camper friends and enjoyed fellowship around the campfire swapping stories and listening to the coyotes chattering in the distance. We will definitely return.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. At this campsite my husband and I tested the Midland ER 210 Emergency Weather Radio and XTalker T31 Walkie Talkie Bundle. Some of great features and things I liked about the Emergency Weather Radio are

1. The ultrasonic dog whistle and flashing beacon to help aid search and rescue locate you in case you are lost or hurt.
  2. Loved all the different ways to charge this Radio. You can use the solar panel, the crank, the rechargeable batteries, or 6 AA batteries, making it a great tool to have.
  3. When we were listening to the radio, a siren went off to alert us that we were in a severe thunderstorm watch and that high winds were expected.

The XTalker T31 Walkie Talkies have

1. Split chargers making them easy to charge
  2. A call or page button to call each other
  3. Ease of use

September is Emergency Prepareness Month and this bundle will definitely be a great asset to have especially here in Nebraska where the weather can turn bad quickly. Please check them out at https://midlandusa.com